Where to get documentation on the "init" script

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
gyro

Where to get documentation on the "init" script

#1 Post by gyro »

"When init starts, the full-blown Puppy is still just a number of files on a storage device.
The job of init is to use those files to build a Puppy based in RAM and then hand over control to it."

The best documentation of the "init" script can be viewed on github as https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... README.txt.

This file is actually present in each Puppy inside the "initrd.gz", so not so easily accessible.

gyro

drunkjedi

#2 Post by drunkjedi »

Thanks for this.

gyro

#3 Post by gyro »

drunkjedi wrote:Thanks for this.
You are welcome.
gyro

hamoudoudou

drivers blacklisted in your pupsave will not be loaded at bo

#4 Post by hamoudoudou »

* If the boot is considered to be from a "flash" device, the directory containing the save layer
is inserted as a read-only layer immediately below the read-write layer.
That has to be described deeper.. Pupsave load first, when SFS on the fly are loaded at the end..
For instance drivers blacklisted in your pupsave will not be loaded at boot. On the contrary drivers as wireless ones added will allow Puppy to connect during boot process (RTL8192CU)

gyro

#5 Post by gyro »

@hamoudoudou,
Don't confuse the order that "init" processes the Puppy files, with the position they have in the stack.
"Puppysave load first" is not important, and in the current "init" it is processed last.
The savelayer directory (or directories in "flash" case) is always placed at the top of the stack so that it can "cover" any file in any of the sfs's.

gyro

hamoudoudou

ok that is clear...

#6 Post by hamoudoudou »

ok that is clear...
Active RAM : Understood
Swap : understood
IMO : the best is to load the minimum at start..
What is not clear is where is stored for instance A Puppy Linux loaded full in RAM
Ram should be fulfilled at least of the size of uncompressed ISO..
where is tmpfs ?
Not really a problem with my 4gb RAM. It's just curiosity. From time to time i would like to understand how things work.. from time to time only..

drunkjedi

#7 Post by drunkjedi »

hamoudoudou wrote:Ram should be fulfilled at least of the size of uncompressed ISO...
When puppy is copied to ram, I don't think it's uncompressed.
I have seen people mention this on forum. Some even blame it being cause of few unexplained problems they have seen.
I neverfelt any such problems though.

In Fatdog if basesfs=ram option is given, the 350mb basesfs is copied to ram.
If basesfs=expand option is given, the basesfs is expanded to 1.2Gb and copied to ram.
The difference is observed in speed in working of bigger softwares like libre office, although very minor.

hamoudoudou

Bizarre... très bizarre (strange)

#8 Post by hamoudoudou »

drunkjedi everyrthing seems to give you agreement on your information. sFS seems not to be expanded.. as if it was loaded on the fly..
Bizarre... très bizarre (strange)
I will check older puppies not woof CE..