How to update SeaMonkey in 64-bit Quirky Werewolf?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Flash
Official Dog Handler

How to update SeaMonkey in 64-bit Quirky Werewolf?

#1 Post by Flash »

I've tried several times over the years to update SeaMonkey in various versions of Puppy. I've been using Quirky Werewolf for many moons now, and the version of SeaMonkey it came with is getting long in the tooth, at least according to several websites I frequent.

A few weeks ago, following advice I read in a post in this forum (I'm sorry to say I can't remember the topic or who wrote the post) I downloaded the latest version of Firefox to /tmp, unpacked it, copied the resulting Firefox directory to /usr/lib, right-clicked on the directory, chose Permissions and then chose make executable. When I opened the Firefox directory and clicked on the Firefox gear icon, Firefox started right up.

I recently did the exact same steps with SeaMonkey (I assume I downloaded the 64-bit version; it didn't give me a choice,) but got a different result. It's the same result I get every time I try to update SeaMonkey. What am I doing wrong?
Attachments
SeaMonkey error.png
(71.38 KiB) Downloaded 356 times
SeaMonkey new directory.png
(47.44 KiB) Downloaded 315 times

OscarTalks

#2 Post by OscarTalks »

I believe the official builds are 32bit
There is a contributed 64bit non-official build listed on the page of different versions.
Right-click and look at properties of the executable seamonkey file to see if it is 32bit or 64bit
https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/#2.49.2
Oscar in England

drunkjedi

#3 Post by drunkjedi »

Yes the contributed builds are 64bit and works in Fatdog.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Thanks, Oscar. Now we're making some progress. I found and downloaded the only 64-bit version and did the same things with it. The seamonkey gear throbbed once when I clicked on it but nothing happened after that. Then I opened a terminal in /usr/lib/Seamonkey and entered ./seamonkey. This is the error I got:
Attachments
SeaMonkey error.png
(49.69 KiB) Downloaded 313 times

drunkjedi

#5 Post by drunkjedi »

Looks like you will need gtk-3 installed.
Fatdog already has it so the latest seamonkey runs without fuss.

Makoto

#6 Post by Makoto »

Yeah, Seamonkey requires GTK 3, now. They switched not too long ago, although I don't remember offhand in which build.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

Where can I find gtk-3? I can't find it in any of the Quirky package repositories. I googled it and from the confused results I saw, the only thing that seems to be available is something called gtk+. Will that work?

OscarTalks

#8 Post by OscarTalks »

I have very little experience of Quirky, but I presume this one uses Ubuntu binary packages so I expect that, as with Puppy, you just search for libgtk-3 in the Package Manager and include any dependencies it indicates.

Because Ubuntu (and Debian) do the thing of splitting up the packages this is a size advantage in this case. You can install the lib (and deps) without the bloat of the full gtk+3 package. Installed total size should not be too big at all and most of the latest "fully featured" browsers require this lib now.

Be aware that the browser will now be using the gtk3 theme. This sometimes needs a tweak if things like tooltips display in an unclear manner. Any gtk2 theme control will not apply to the appearance of the browser.
Oscar in England

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

After wasting half an hour looking without any luck in the System and Utility sections of the package manager, I noticed the package manager has a search function that will search all the repositories. Turns out I should have looked in the Desktop section. :x

There is a libgtk3-perl_0.023.1 and a libgtk3.0-cil_2.99.3-2. Which one should I try first?

OscarTalks

#10 Post by OscarTalks »

You just type into the search rather than looking in sections.
Neither of those two look right.
You need the hyphen/dash between libgtk and the number 3
Looking in Xenial the name is libgtk-3-0_3.18.9
For Wily the numbers might be different
Oscar in England

Philh

#11 Post by Philh »

I think the werewolf packages have been removed from ubuntu now.
If libgtk 3 did exist I dont think you will find it anywhere.
Same with unicorn.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#12 Post by Flash »

It showed up when I searched for it but none of the repositories had it. So I guess I'll have to move on to a newer version of Puppy that has a later version of SeaMonkey. Xerus64-8.5 seems good, except tree wouldn't work in it.

Semme

#13 Post by Semme »

Read the amd64 package lists to locate your dwnld(s) >> http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/wily/
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

irishrm

#14 Post by irishrm »

If its any help the new firefox works well with Quirky Werewolf and can be updated. I haven't tried to install pulseaudio.
irishrm.

Makoto

#15 Post by Makoto »

Don't the newer versions of Firefox require GTK 3 as well, though? :)

(If this page is to be believed, it has since version 42.)

libgtk3 still shows up for me on searches in PPM for Precise, but of course, I haven't tried to redownload it (and I'm not on a 64-bit Puppy - only 1GB RAM in this tower. :( )
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

irishrm

#16 Post by irishrm »

Don't know about that. All I did was to download and install firefox.Updated to build 59.0.2 at the moment. posting from it now.
irishrm.
Correction: I did in fact instal GTK 3. It's been a while since I set this up so I had to check.
This computer is old so I have to use plop bootloader to boot from usb.
irishrm.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#17 Post by Flash »

It was Xerus64-8.5 that I tried Firefox in, not Quirky Werewolf. In my ignorance and stupidity I assumed it wouldn't make any difference. :oops: