BionicDog (updated: 2018-06-04)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Mike Walsh

#151 Post by Mike Walsh »

fredx181 wrote:
Mike Walsh wrote:@ Fred:-

The silly thing is, it's not the desktop that's freezing-up; that still responds!

It's just the individual applications that are seizing solid. Figure that one out, if you can.....

Mike. :wink:
Weird..., let me understand exactly "it's not the desktop that's freezing-up".
You mean mouse and keyboard are still working, but that's all.. or... ?

Fred
Let me try to be a bit more descriptive. Mouse and keyboard still function, yes. I can click on things, and they respond, yes. I can open new applications. But after a minute or two of anything being opened, it ceases to respond to any controls.....including the window manager.

I've lost count of the number of things I've had to kill, because they refuse to close. I've never had anything like this happen before, which is why I'm so puzzled.....

Mike. :?

Mike Walsh

#152 Post by Mike Walsh »

rcrsn51 wrote:Mike: From the Xorg.0.log, it looks like the Radeon driver was loaded. I'm guessing that the RS480 card doesn't need any additional firmware, so X was able to start on its own.

Since you've got the right video driver, I don't know what else to suggest.

LateAdopter: Thanks. I didn't understand that either.
Hi, Bill.

Mm. I'm stumped, too. I do hope this isn't a sign of things to come...

I know I've heard of situations where a certain piece of hardware works perfectly for dozens, if not 100's of kernel 'point' releases.....then all of a sudden, it quits (or starts behaving in a totally different way.) Lots of people complain; within a couple of releases, someone at kernelHQ has got his wrists slapped for changing things that didn't need changing, and.....hey presto! things are back to how they were before.

Perhaps a kernel change would help. How do you actually do that with these 'Dogs'.....or can you perform the same 'manual' swap we do in Puppies?

fredx181

#153 Post by fredx181 »

Mike Walsh wrote:Perhaps a kernel change would help. How do you actually do that with these 'Dogs'.....or can you perform the same 'manual' swap we do in Puppies?
Yes, worth trying, if you have time can you try this 4.4 kernel ? (it's from Xenial) EDIT: 32 bit
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/b18 ... ar.gz?dl=1
Contents of this archive:
- 00-kernel-4.4.0-124.squashfs
- initrd1.xz
- vmlinuz
Just put these in the "casper" folder.
Replace original initrd1.xz and vmlinuz with the ones from the archive.
(better make backup of original files first by renaming them).

I'd appreciate if you test this, then we possibly know if the problem is because of the 4.15 kernel or not .

EDIT: Ooops, I realize now that I don't know if you used 32 or 64 bit.
Anyway this is for 32 bit.

Fred

Mike Walsh

#154 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Fred.

Yeah, no worries, mate; be happy to. Won't be till the morning, though; it's 2.30 am here in the UK, and I'm more than ready for some shut-eye... Image

Bear with me, and I'll let you know what happens sometime tomorrow. We'll see if it makes any difference.

(BTW; I am using 32-bit, yes; it's my usual preference if I have a choice.)

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Mon 14 May 2018, 09:53, edited 1 time in total.

zagreb999

OKULAR GTK

#155 Post by zagreb999 »

REGARDS

WHO KNOWS TO CREATE
OKULAR GTK IN BIONIC?

THANKS!

Mike Walsh

#156 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, Fred.

Well, I don't know if this is what you were expecting, but this is what happened:-

Swapped over initrd1.xz and vmlinuz. Booted up. The boot process went OK, right up until the end.....then there was a load of stuff about the X server, amongst which was

Code: Select all

...Fatal server error. No screens found.....
.....and which ended up with

...terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server. Connection refused.
xinit: server error
root@live: ~#
Attached is the current contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Remove the fake .gz, of course.

I'll leave it with ya.

Attachments
Xorg.0.log.gz
Remove fake .gz...
(44.97 KiB) Downloaded 99 times

fredx181

#157 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Mike,

Looks like you did something wrong, I tested this and it should work booting with the 4.4. kernel.

root@live:~# uname -a
Linux live 4.4.0-124-generic #148-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 2 13:01:51 UTC 2018 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux
In your Xorg.log I see you are still booting the 4.15.0-15 kernel

[    35.627] Current Operating System: Linux live 4.15.0-15-generic #16-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 4 13:58:15 UTC 2018 i686
Ok, so you replaced vmlinuz and initrd1.xz with the ones from the archive, but did you also add "00-kernel-4.4.0-124.squashfs" in the casper folder ?

If you didn't, can you try again ? No need to hurry :wink:

EDIT: Oh, I see just now that your attached xorg.log is from yesterday... confused...

[    35.641] (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sun May 13 11:38:45 2018
Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Mon 14 May 2018, 11:06, edited 2 times in total.

tlchost

Re: bluetooth

#158 Post by tlchost »

rcrsn51 wrote:
tlchost wrote:27818 root 0:00 grep blue
That indicates that the bluetoothd daemon didn't start. In my setups, it always starts as soon as you plug in an adapter.

If it doesn't start first, the bluealsa daemon probably won't start either.

Type: /etc/init.d/bluetooth start
What happens?

Which Bionic Dog version are you running? 32 or 64bit?
Didn't start....Maybe it's because I'm running on a usb drive and it's the 18.5 pae version?

Sorry to have troubled you....I don't think I'll chase after bluetooth any more...taking up too much of my time and yours.

rcrsn51

#159 Post by rcrsn51 »

I released this project back in January. Since then, there have been many anonymous downloads and zero feedback.

So I can't say if your situation is the exception or the rule.
18.5 pae version
I don't know what that is.

tlchost

#160 Post by tlchost »

rcrsn51 wrote:I released this project back in January. Since then, there have been many anonymous downloads and zero feedback.

So I can't say if your situation is the exception or the rule.
18.5 pae version
I don't know what that is.
UPup Bionic Beaver (upupbb) 18.05 (May 2018)

Not a problem...Glad it works for others...thankfully I have decent speakers that do not require bluetooth.

rcrsn51

#161 Post by rcrsn51 »

tlchost wrote: UPup Bionic Beaver (upupbb) 18.05 (May 2018)
??????
That's a Puppy. BionicDog is not. BT4Stretch is designed to work in a full Debian/Ubuntu environment. Puppy doesn't have that.
Glad it works for others.
?????
If no one reports, I have no idea how it works for them.

rcrsn51

#162 Post by rcrsn51 »

@majka: Any update on this situation?

Mike Walsh

#163 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi again, Fred.

Yah; my fault, I think. I only put the initrd1.xz and vmlinux into /casper. I'll be honest, I couldn't see what the 3rd item (the squashfs one) was supposed to do!

It all boots up OK now. However, I still can't import bookmarks into Quantum..... Can't convert my Google-Chrome 48.0.2564.115.pet into a .deb, either; pet2deb says the file doesn't exist, it's hit an unrecoverable error.....now closing. Mind you, that could be a permissions thing, because of the file's location when I was trying to convert it. I'll experiment with that a bit more.

I can't quite figure it out. The FF-Quantum portable you put together works brilliantly in all my Pups.....yet the version you've built into BionicDog seems to have a bug in it. At least, the copy I've got hold of seems to....???

(The 'freezing-up'/unresponsive thing appears to be confined to the Firefox 'Library' window during my repeated attempts to import my bookmarks from an HTML file. It's not affecting anything else.....YET.)

Still, we've made progress. :) If I can install gDebi from the repos, I might see if I can install a newish version of Iron, instead. It's my favourite Chrome 'clone'. I'm guessing I'll need to log-in as 'puppy' for that, though, since they definitely won't run as /root.....

fredx181

#164 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Mike, looks like the older kernel solved your problem.
That's good news ! (but also bad news, because it seems that the newer kernel doesn't support some hardware anymore).
I'll make similar package with the 4.4 kernel for 64-bit later (as fallback, there may be others with the same problem)
Can't convert my Google-Chrome 48.0.2564.115.pet into a .deb
Just my opinion: I wouldn't recommend using pet packages.
Btw, you can ignore all messages like "Cannot stat ...." when converting pet to deb.
(it needs to be fixed, by suppressing these messages, on TODO list...)

Here's a deb for google-chrome 48 32-bit.
After install there should be menu entry "Google Chrome (as puppy)" (starting script: /usr/local/bin/chrome-puppy.sh)
https://fredx181.github.io/bionicdog/No ... 1_i386.deb
First do (if not recently done):

apt-get update # update the package lists
Then can be installed by right-click from pcmanfm > Install deb (no need for Gdebi)
Or from terminal:

dpkg -i google-chrome-stable_48.0.2564.109-1_i386.deb
apt-get -f install # force installing missing dependencies
EDIT: Strangely, the first time running Google Chrome from menu it doesn't start, but when I tried again it does start (and everytime after) :roll:
The FF-Quantum portable you put together works brilliantly in all my Pups.....yet the version you've built into BionicDog seems to have a bug in it.
Mmm.. strange, because I've put it together including the same binaries.

Fred

rcrsn51

#165 Post by rcrsn51 »

@mikeslr: On May 3, you started a discussion about PeasyWiFi and WEP encryption.

You never returned, so I set up another router with WEP. It worked for me.

A confirmation from you would be nice.

fredx181

#166 Post by fredx181 »

For info:
MBinnun made a new version of MBPUP (remastered BionicDog) v1.3, very enhanced, with different "flavors" to choose from :
https://github.com/mbinnun/MBPUP/blob/master/README.md

Fred

Mike Walsh

#167 Post by Mike Walsh »

Mornin', Fred.

A query for ya. Can we, or can we not, add Ubuntu PPAs in BionicDog?

I'm only asking, because one of the necessary commands for adding any PPA is

apt-add-repository
.....and bash insists the command isn't recognised. Or can't that be done with the Live version of Ubuntu?

rcrsn51

#168 Post by rcrsn51 »

I believe that it's add-apt-repository.

Mike Walsh

#169 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Bill.

D'you know, I'm inclined to agree with you. All the time I've been looking at this, I've been thinking it doesn't look right. I'll try it the other way round before the afternoon's out; see what happens.

Meanwhile, I'm glad I've got you on, mate. Do you like a good mystery, Bill? How about you, Fred? If the answer's 'Yes', then try this on for size....

The subject here is audio. Specifically, audio recording & playback. Note the last word. That's the key item, here.

-----------------------------------------

My Linux journey started a little over 4 years ago. In May, 2014, to be precise, when I downloaded and installed the then-new Ubuntu 14.04 'Trusty' LTS.

Since I started with Linux, I have used the same identical hardware, all the way through. Yes, peripherals have changed and been upgraded, but the motherboard has remained the same.....including the audio chip. A RealTek circuit, built-in to the SB400 southbridge on this MSI mobo.

I often recorded streaming audio during the first year or so I used Ubuntu, before I began getting graphical freeze-ups, and switched to Puppy....but that's not the issue here. The point is, I recorded audio, then played it back again later. And every time, it played back perfectly.

When I moved to Puppy (first dual-booting with Ubuntu, then all-Puppy), naturally, I wanted to do the same thing. And y'know what I discovered? Oh, Puppy would record audio quite happily.....but playback was another kettle of fish entirely. It always played back quite slowly, and sounded like the audio was being dragged through a tub of molasses. TBH, it sounded crap. And no amount of adjustments or re-routing the audio output seemed to make the slightest bit of difference.

I got to the stage where I'd just accepted that this was one aspect of Pup that would never, ever work properly.

---------------------------------------

Fast forward to this last few days, when I decided to try out the 'Dogs' for the first time. This BionicDog is, of course, based on Ubuntu again. Just this morning, I thought about this problem, and, for a laugh, I decided to see what would happen when I tried to record a short video clip with GuvcView.

I've recently treated myself to a top-of-the-range Logitech webcam; the c920 HD Pro, so much better quality than what I've been using for the last couple of years. The clip recorded fine; Bionic recognised the cam's video chip, and configured it all correctly.....even Pup does that, because I've always made sure I buy UVC-compliant cameras, which are automatically supported by the kernel's UVC driver module.

What flabbergasted me was that BionicDog also not only recognised the cam's audio chip, and configured it properly, but the audio played back perfectly when I ran the resulting .avi clip through the default mpv media player.

No 'slowdown'. No 'treacly' quality to the sound. Just perfectly crystal-clear playback from the cam's stereo microphones.....

Remember; this is the same identical audio hardware since day 1 of my Linux 'journey'. It can't have owt to do with the kernel, either, since I'm running Pups with newer kernels than this. Yet not one Pup can play back recorded audio correctly. (I have no problem with playing back in media players, or streaming through the browser; in those, audio works correctly.)

-------------------------------

So; my 'question', therefore, is this:-

What the HELL is Ubuntu doing with this audio sub-system that Puppy seems incapable of emulating? What's different? It's NOT the hardware, obviously.....it's got to be the software, or the way it's implemented. But what is being done differently?

Anybody got any ideas? Suggestions? Even a 'hint'or two might point me in the right direction, because this has been bugging me for a very long time.....

Please don't tell me it's something to do with PulseAudio. Even though that's about the only aspect of all this that seems as though it might be at the 'root' of the problem.....because it's always been a PITA to get working in Pup..!

Mike. :? :wink:

rcrsn51

#170 Post by rcrsn51 »

The first thing I would check is the ALSA version.

cat /proc/asound/version
Are new Puppies getting a new version or are they recycling the same old version out of woof?

Linux developers are building their apps on a standard mainstream platform. Puppy is not a standard platform.

Just because you pulled a bunch of packages out of Ubuntu doesn't guarantee that they will work like they do in Ubuntu.