BionicDog (updated: 2018-06-04)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
fredx181

#166 Post by fredx181 »

For info:
MBinnun made a new version of MBPUP (remastered BionicDog) v1.3, very enhanced, with different "flavors" to choose from :
https://github.com/mbinnun/MBPUP/blob/master/README.md

Fred

Mike Walsh

#167 Post by Mike Walsh »

Mornin', Fred.

A query for ya. Can we, or can we not, add Ubuntu PPAs in BionicDog?

I'm only asking, because one of the necessary commands for adding any PPA is

Code: Select all

apt-add-repository
.....and bash insists the command isn't recognised. Or can't that be done with the Live version of Ubuntu?

Mike. :wink:

rcrsn51

#168 Post by rcrsn51 »

I believe that it's add-apt-repository.

Mike Walsh

#169 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Bill.

D'you know, I'm inclined to agree with you. All the time I've been looking at this, I've been thinking it doesn't look right. I'll try it the other way round before the afternoon's out; see what happens.

Meanwhile, I'm glad I've got you on, mate. Do you like a good mystery, Bill? How about you, Fred? If the answer's 'Yes', then try this on for size....

The subject here is audio. Specifically, audio recording & playback. Note the last word. That's the key item, here.

-----------------------------------------

My Linux journey started a little over 4 years ago. In May, 2014, to be precise, when I downloaded and installed the then-new Ubuntu 14.04 'Trusty' LTS.

Since I started with Linux, I have used the same identical hardware, all the way through. Yes, peripherals have changed and been upgraded, but the motherboard has remained the same.....including the audio chip. A RealTek circuit, built-in to the SB400 southbridge on this MSI mobo.

I often recorded streaming audio during the first year or so I used Ubuntu, before I began getting graphical freeze-ups, and switched to Puppy....but that's not the issue here. The point is, I recorded audio, then played it back again later. And every time, it played back perfectly.

When I moved to Puppy (first dual-booting with Ubuntu, then all-Puppy), naturally, I wanted to do the same thing. And y'know what I discovered? Oh, Puppy would record audio quite happily.....but playback was another kettle of fish entirely. It always played back quite slowly, and sounded like the audio was being dragged through a tub of molasses. TBH, it sounded crap. And no amount of adjustments or re-routing the audio output seemed to make the slightest bit of difference.

I got to the stage where I'd just accepted that this was one aspect of Pup that would never, ever work properly.

---------------------------------------

Fast forward to this last few days, when I decided to try out the 'Dogs' for the first time. This BionicDog is, of course, based on Ubuntu again. Just this morning, I thought about this problem, and, for a laugh, I decided to see what would happen when I tried to record a short video clip with GuvcView.

I've recently treated myself to a top-of-the-range Logitech webcam; the c920 HD Pro, so much better quality than what I've been using for the last couple of years. The clip recorded fine; Bionic recognised the cam's video chip, and configured it all correctly.....even Pup does that, because I've always made sure I buy UVC-compliant cameras, which are automatically supported by the kernel's UVC driver module.

What flabbergasted me was that BionicDog also not only recognised the cam's audio chip, and configured it properly, but the audio played back perfectly when I ran the resulting .avi clip through the default mpv media player.

No 'slowdown'. No 'treacly' quality to the sound. Just perfectly crystal-clear playback from the cam's stereo microphones.....

Remember; this is the same identical audio hardware since day 1 of my Linux 'journey'. It can't have owt to do with the kernel, either, since I'm running Pups with newer kernels than this. Yet not one Pup can play back recorded audio correctly. (I have no problem with playing back in media players, or streaming through the browser; in those, audio works correctly.)

-------------------------------

So; my 'question', therefore, is this:-

What the HELL is Ubuntu doing with this audio sub-system that Puppy seems incapable of emulating? What's different? It's NOT the hardware, obviously.....it's got to be the software, or the way it's implemented. But what is being done differently?

Anybody got any ideas? Suggestions? Even a 'hint'or two might point me in the right direction, because this has been bugging me for a very long time.....

Please don't tell me it's something to do with PulseAudio. Even though that's about the only aspect of all this that seems as though it might be at the 'root' of the problem.....because it's always been a PITA to get working in Pup..!

Mike. :? :wink:

rcrsn51

#170 Post by rcrsn51 »

The first thing I would check is the ALSA version.

cat /proc/asound/version
Are new Puppies getting a new version or are they recycling the same old version out of woof?

Linux developers are building their apps on a standard mainstream platform. Puppy is not a standard platform.

Just because you pulled a bunch of packages out of Ubuntu doesn't guarantee that they will work like they do in Ubuntu.

mikeslr

PeasyWifi - WEP

#171 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Bill,

Got distracted by other, more pressing questions. Good to know the problem is me. It will be awhile before I get to it. I'm leaving for a two week trip on Wednesday. You may have to remind me when I get back.

mikesLr

fredx181

#172 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Mike,

About add-apt-repository (indeed the other way around, but apparently there's more confusion about that, on the web they say also sometimes "apt-add-repository" ).

Yes, PPA's can be used on BionicDog and added with the add-apt-repository command.
But Note: The script /usr/local/bin/add-apt-repository is a custom script that works in most cases (I guess 99%) but it's not the official which is part of package: software-properties-common (taking much space, has many dependencies, so to keep ISO smaller I didn't include that).
Included in this software-properties-common package is also a symlink to /usr/bin/add-apt-repository, named: "apt-add-repository" :wink: .

About the audio quality, I can't add more than what Bill already answered.
Maybe better ask someone who knows about woof-CE ?

Fred

irishrm

#173 Post by irishrm »

I must say I am very impressed with bionic dog. I'm considering making it the LTS os for my main laptop if I can solve a few small problems.
I need to to be able to disable the screensaver for video but I can't figure out how.
Also increasing the sound doesn't stick on reboot.
Any help would be appreciated.

For information:
I installed libre office directly from Ubuntu but had to download a dictionary to get spellcheck to work.
Irishrm.

rcrsn51

#174 Post by rcrsn51 »

irishrm wrote:Also increasing the sound doesn't stick on reboot.
I don't know much about audio, but here goes.

Your audio settings are stored in the file /var/lib/alsa/asound.state.

They are controlled by the script /etc/init.d/alsa-utils.

At shutdown, it should store your current settings in the above file. At reboot, it should reload them.

This looks like it's working for me. If it doesn't for you, try the following:

1. Set the audio levels as desired.
2. Open a terminal.
3. Type: alsactl store
4. Reboot

Do you have just one sound card?

fredx181

#175 Post by fredx181 »

irishrm wrote:I need to to be able to disable the screensaver for video but I can't figure out how.
With 'screensaver' you mean the screen gets blank every 10 minutes, right?
To disable it, you can do in terminal:

xset s off && xset -dpms
(to test first if it works, do nothing for 10 min)
If it works for you, to have it start at login, just put it in .xsession, before the line "exec $SESSION_MANAGER", so becomes:

xset s off && xset -dpms
exec $SESSION_MANAGER
Fred

irishrm

#176 Post by irishrm »

rcrsn51 thanks for the reply. Sorry to be bothering you again.
I tried your suggestion but didn't work.
I followed the path /var/lib/alsa/asound.state. The file asound.state is missing so maybe that's the reason sound isn't sticking.
Not to worry it's not a deal breaker anyway.
On this old computer there is only one sound card.

Getting access to the screen saver is more of an issue.
Thanks again,
irishrm

irishrm

#177 Post by irishrm »

Thanks fredx181.
I.ve done what you suggested and will wait for ten minutes tosee if it works.
irishrm.

rcrsn51

#178 Post by rcrsn51 »

irishrm wrote:I followed the path /var/lib/alsa/asound.state. The file asound.state is missing so maybe that's the reason sound isn't sticking.
Even after you ran "alsactl store", the file is still missing?

Were there any error messages when you ran it?

irishrm

#179 Post by irishrm »

rcrsn51 I made a mistake in my typing first time. Got it right this time.
Re-booted and sound level is as I set it. asound.state is showing.
Thanks for sticking with me.
irishrm.

rcrsn51

#180 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent. I don't know why the automatic store at shutdown doesn't work for you.

irishrm

#181 Post by irishrm »

fredx181 waited ten minutes so the screensaver seems to be disabled ok. I'll double check later.
Just one other thing if I run the script to disable the screensaver at startup then It will be disabled permanently which wouldn't be a good idea. It would be better to just disable it when needed.
Thanks to yourself and rcrsn51 for sorting me out.
irishrm

fredx181

#182 Post by fredx181 »

For who is having problems booting with the included kernel in BionicDog, here's older kernel (from Xenial, latest release: linux-image-4.4.0-124-generic).
Just extract the archive in the "casper" directory (see also Readme-kernel-4.4.0-124.txt) and (re)boot Bionicdog.
For a frugal install only.

32-bit:
https://fredx181.github.io/bionicdog/Pa ... 86/Kernel/
64-bit:
https://fredx181.github.io/bionicdog/Pa ... 64/Kernel/

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Wed 16 May 2018, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

Re: PeasyWifi - WEP

#183 Post by rcrsn51 »

mikeslr wrote:Got distracted by other, more pressing questions. Good to know the problem is me. It will be awhile before I get to it. I'm leaving for a two week trip on Wednesday. You may have to remind me when I get back.
I'm satisfied with my own testing.

ITSMERSH

#184 Post by ITSMERSH »

fredx181 wrote:To make vlc run as root, this works (it's a hack of course, and has to be done again if you possibly upgrade vlc in the future):

sed -i 's/geteuid/getppid/' /usr/bin/vlc
This seem to work pretty well.

wiak

cast2chrome ver 0.0.2 released

#185 Post by wiak »

Hi Fred,

I 'completed' version 0.0.2 of my cast2chrome program, which will hopefully prove stable. Developed it in XenialDog64 but is architecture independent and will work in Bionic. Latest post and info about ver 0.0.2 in link below (download includes debs and pets):

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 902#992902

Main change is that this version allows the user to not only play local and internet media (such as youtube) on their chromecast dongle enabled TV but will also (optionally) save the youtube videos as they play.

wiak