BionicDog (updated: 2018-06-04)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
ITSMERSH

#361 Post by ITSMERSH »

fredx181 wrote:Hi RSH, thanks for reporting, however I cannot reproduce either, also I'm not sure that I understand your last message.
Can you explain the steps in detail how to reproduce ?

Fred
I'm working on a program trying to get it to work in a Puppy as well as in BionicDog. Therefor I need to do frequently reboots between Puppy and BionicDog.

I'm booting BionicDog with some .sqashfs files loaded (needed for the program to test):

02-additional-fonts.squashfs
02-modifications-BionicDog.squashfs
03-usb-modeswitch.squashfs
10-gimp-2.8.22.squashfs
10-gimp-plugins-2.8.squashfs
15-additional-audio.squashfs
16-additional-audio-updates.squashfs
28-SunVox-1.7.5.squashfs
29-OcenAudio.squashfs

After the 'i386-linux-gnu' issue I built all of those .squashfs files manually in BionicDog, except:

28-SunVox-1.7.5.squashfs
29-OcenAudio.squashfs

I just renamed them from .sfs to squashfs. OcenAudio is placed in /opt, SunVox is placed in /usr/local/sunvox.

This is the boot menu entry:

title BionicDog clean SFS Testings, save on exit
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /BioDogClean/casper/initrd1.xz
kernel /BioDogClean/casper/vmlinuz noauto from=/BioDogClean changes=EXIT:/BioDogClean/casper/
initrd /BioDogClean/casper/initrd1.xz

When testing the program usually I do not save on exit, though 'changes' is used.
Last edited by ITSMERSH on Sat 23 Jun 2018, 01:39, edited 2 times in total.

ITSMERSH

#362 Post by ITSMERSH »

Ok, regarding my previous post above...

I've made two reboots to make sure it's not caused by the .sqashfs files built manually. So I disabled them all (moved them to another directory) to not to load at boot. Only loaded 99-bionic_linux-firmware.squashfs and 99-locales-BionicDog-2018-04-21.squashfs.

First boot I made with .sqashfs files disabled but 'changes' in place/use. Did not save on exit. Rebooted into Puppy and made a e2fsck.

Drive remains not cleanly unmounted.

I disabled directory 'changes' (renamed it and created a new empty one), after finishing e2fsck.

Rebooted BionicDog and saved on exit.

Rebooted Puppy and e2fsck still complains about a not cleanly unmounted drive.

I should have mentioned that I'm using the version of BionicDog pre the 2018-06-04 update.

ITSMERSH

#363 Post by ITSMERSH »

Ok, regarding my previous two posts above...

I created a new empty directory 'changes' and made again a reboot. Did not save on exit. Booted into Puppy and made a e2fsck.

Drive still remains not cleanly unmounted.

I don't know if I would need the 99-bionic_linux-firmware.squashfs to boot and use BionicDog for my needs. Though I would need the 99-locales-BionicDog-2018-04-21.squashfs, so trying to boot without any .squashfs loaded doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

Btw: how do they load? Are they 'mounted/loaded' from HD or are they copied into ram and mounted/loaded from ram?

I'm asking since they might 'lock' the drive from unmounting, if they are mounted/loaded from HD and if any of those .squashfs did not properly unmount/unload at shutdown/reboot.

This happens on a very few .sfs files in Puppy, that needs to have X restarted before unloading properly.

fredx181

#364 Post by fredx181 »

Hi RSH, thanks for the infos.

I did a lot of investigating today, really like to solve this.
At first I couldn't reproduce (Bionicdog install on ext4) but then I thought trying to install BD on a ext2 formatted filesystem.
Then I got the same as you, so on ext3 and ext4 there's no "unclean unmounted" problem for me, on ext2 there is. Is your Bionicdog install on ext2 ?
Tried several things to solve, but I guess it's above my knowledge.
Any tips ? How Puppy does it to unmount everything cleanly at shutdown ?
As it is on Bionicdog the "umount -l ... " commands are in /usr/bin/wmreboot and /usr/bin/wmpoweroff.
Tried changing umount -l /mnt/live/memory/images/01-filesystem.squashfs to umount -l /mnt/live/memory/images/* (for to unmount all loaded modules), but made no difference.
Btw: how do they load? Are they 'mounted/loaded' from HD or are they copied into ram and mounted/loaded from ram?
If you add copy2ram parameter to the kernel boot commandline, then all modules will be copied to RAM.

For now I'm giving up on this, but I may get a EUREKA later :wink:

P.S. for what it's worth: With a frugal install of an official Debian Live (on ext2) I had the same "unclean unmounted" problem.
(thought it might be a specific problem with the BD porteus boot method, apparently not)

Fred

ITSMERSH

#365 Post by ITSMERSH »

Hi Fred.

Sorry to not to mention it, but yes, it is installed on ext2 partition. Usually all my bootable partitions are formatted to ext2. So I may change this in the future...

Older Puppies did not unmount automatically at shutdown/reboot, but newer Puppies seem to do.

They probably adopted this from my LazY Puppy ideas, which checked for mounted drives, isos, squash files and file systems on reboot/shutdown. It unmounts squash files and file systems first, since they could have been mounted from within a mounted iso. ISOs won't unmount otherwise. And drives won't unmount if there's still a iso mounted.

So, at least tahr puppy has this feature adopted. It also gives a message of 'unmounting stray file systems' if there's still anything mounted. If I'm faced to this message I know, I have to do a e2fsck directly after next boot.

Usually it is the Kdenlive SFS that is causing this problem. It unloads properly only after a restart of X. Sometimes I do oversee this...

Need to dive into the files to find the related code. Will report, when found...

Ok, parameter copy2ram could be a part of a solution on ext2. Will check this out and report.

Thanks

ITSMERSH

#366 Post by ITSMERSH »

No, copy2ram didn't change anything. The ext2 drive remains not cleanly unmounted. :(

So, this means I have to copy over a few hundred of giga bytes, formatting the boot drive to ext3 and copying all files back. :roll:

This affects three different drives (internal und usb)...

rcrsn51

#367 Post by rcrsn51 »

Google "convert ext2 ext3".

fredx181

#368 Post by fredx181 »

ITSMERSH wrote:No, copy2ram didn't change anything. The ext2 drive remains not cleanly unmounted. Sad
I found out that clean unmount is possible when using copy2ram, just need to modify some scripts to make it work, not ready... yet.

Fred

ITSMERSH

#369 Post by ITSMERSH »

So, here's some sort of good news.

After reformatting the boot drive of my main computer to ext3 the drive is cleanly unmounted in BionicDog.

And: to my surprise even in Puppy when using the Kdenlive sfs the drive is cleanly unmounted, even though the message 'unmounting stray file systems' appears on the screen.

So, everything is fine by now! :D

rcrsn51 wrote:Google "convert ext2 ext3".
Thanks. Did not know this is possible. May try this on my backup boot partition later.

fredx181 wrote:I found out that clean unmount is possible when using copy2ram, just need to modify some scripts to make it work, not ready... yet.
I could keep a ext2 boot partition to do some testings?

fredx181

#370 Post by fredx181 »

ITSMERSH wrote:fredx181 wrote:
I found out that clean unmount is possible when using copy2ram, just need to modify some scripts to make it work, not ready... yet.

I could keep a ext2 boot partition to do some testings?
Yes, please do, here's a .deb for testing.
https://fredx181.github.io/bionicdog/No ... .5_all.deb
In combination of using EXIT:/.. and copy2ram at the kernel line it works for me to get a cleanly unmounted (ext2) boot partition.
Several scripts I changed, but the most important is at the bottom of /usr/local/bin/snap-ex (unmounting the changes folder, didn't test with save-file).

EDIT: Re-uploaded the deb, made a small change for in case the EXIT: is not used.
(is now remounting the changes read-only at the end, probably that does the trick)
Although the boot partition is not unmounted at shutdown then, doing a e2fck from other OS after reboot gives clean result (but didn't test this much).

Fred

ITSMERSH

#371 Post by ITSMERSH »

Yep, seems to work under copy2ram option. :D

stemsee

#372 Post by stemsee »

I have a hi res laptop (1920x1080) not 4k ... YET .... so default settings and font sizes render everything tiny. After making some adjustments at shutdown I see the buttons dialog doesn't scale!

Which script is it that builds that gui? I will try to add Geometry Recorder to it.
Attachments
2018-06-29-073403_1920x1080_scrot.png
(108.08 KiB) Downloaded 934 times

fredx181

#373 Post by fredx181 »

Hi stemsee, it's "obshutdown", not a script but a binary (/usr/local/bin/obshutdown)

In /usr/local/share/obshutdown/themes/oxygen.rc you can change the size (and more):

Code: Select all

size = custom
size.width = 450
size.heigh = 105
Also the config file ~/.obshutdown.rc can be customised, e.g setting to another theme, the commands or how the items are named, etc...

Fred

stemsee

#374 Post by stemsee »

Is there a jre package for BD? I was unsuccessful installing.

Also I cannot get facebook videos to play. Tried every flash going as extension or using supplied app.

After enlarging fonts no longer get highlighted text when selected.
cheers
stemsee

dancytron

#375 Post by dancytron »

stemsee wrote:Is there a jre package for BD? I was unsuccessful installing.

Also I cannot get facebook videos to play. Tried every flash going as extension or using supplied app.

After enlarging fonts no longer get highlighted text when selected.
cheers
stemsee
For Stretch Dog, I created an .squashfs file of the Java Development Kit. I downloaded jdk-8u151-linux-x64.tar.gz from Sun and using edit-sfs pasted it into an empty .squashfs file.

I then activated the .squashfs.

Then I followed the instructions at https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-install- ... etch-linux to set it as the default.

Code: Select all

root@live:~/Desktop/Downloads# update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java /opt/java-jdk/jdk1.8.0_151/bin/java 1
update-alternatives: using /opt/java-jdk/jdk1.8.0_151/bin/java to provide /usr/bin/java (java) in auto mode

root@live:~/Desktop/Downloads# update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/javac javac /opt/java-jdk/jdk1.8.0_151/bin/javac 1
update-alternatives: using /opt/java-jdk/jdk1.8.0_151/bin/javac to provide /usr/bin/javac (javac) in auto mode

root@live:~/Desktop/Downloads# java -version
java version "1.8.0_151"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_151-b12)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.151-b12, mixed mode)
I could upload my .squashfs file if you think it will help.

fredx181

#376 Post by fredx181 »

stemsee wrote:Is there a jre package for BD? I was unsuccessful installing.

There's "default-jre" and "default-jre-headless" packages I found from synaptic.
Don't know what's the difference.

EDIT:
Yes, same for me, newest flashplayer installed but indeed videos won't play on facebook, don't know how to to solve this.

Fred

stemsee

#377 Post by stemsee »

dancytron wrote: I could upload my .squashfs file if you think it will help.
please do

dancytron

#378 Post by dancytron »

stemsee wrote:
dancytron wrote: I could upload my .squashfs file if you think it will help.
please do
squashfs file

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/tli ... ashfs?dl=0

md5 file
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/cgh ... 5.txt?dl=0

stemsee

#379 Post by stemsee »

Is this correct?
Attachments
2018-07-03-091413_522x173_scrot.png
declare -p
(39.71 KiB) Downloaded 1269 times

uberzilla

#380 Post by uberzilla »

I am new to Bionic Dog. I have very briefly tested puppies before, as I have older hardware. My issue was always that I am an illustrator, graphics designer, and more - and so need some of the graphics software - even on older hardware like Mypaint - (use older hardware for sketching and lighter graphics and some web). I have just started testing Bionic Dog and was able to load all the linux based graphics programs like Inkscape, Mypaint, Gimp, and will seek to try more. Also Skype installed. This is EXCELLENT - a possible option for older - functional hardware!!! So far - my time has been limited - but I like it! Fast - fairly easy to find and figure stuff out. It makes Puppy very very useful! My next step is to learn how to add it to grub2 in tri boot systems (Windows, Linux, Bionic Dog) and just dual boot with Windows. Just wanted to check in and throw some love around! I hope this distro flourishes and I hope I get a chance to really learn and implement it!

Best regards