Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 08 Dec 2019, 06:42
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
BionicDog (updated: 2018-06-04)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 35 of 57 [844 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, ..., 55, 56, 57 Next
Author Message
fredx181


Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 4204
Location: holland

PostPosted: Sat 08 Sep 2018, 03:45    Post subject:  

dcung wrote:
A member (step) provided me with the code I needed for Fatdog
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114126&start=1
Code:
/usr/sbin/fatdog-drive-icon-mount-helper.sh /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1



I'm looking to do the same in BionicDog.


How about "fatdog-drive-icon-mount-helper.sh" ? Laughing

Well... it works but needs "guessfstype", install from synaptic or apt-get.
I modified a bit (commented out a few lines that are puppy specific only and not needed for Bionicdog), see attached. should work the same as in Fatdog, e.g.
Code:
fatdog-drive-icon-mount-helper.sh /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1


EDIT:
Quote:
Anyone knows what codes get invoked when you click USB disk 'icon'?

That is "pup-volume-monitor", it runs as a daemon, started at boot, I don't think it can be used to mount a single partition (anyway, I couldn't find how)

Fred
fatdog-drive-icon-mount-helper.sh_mod.tar.gz
Description  fatdog-drive-icon-mount-helper.sh (modified) depends on package "guessfstype"
gz

 Download 
Filename  fatdog-drive-icon-mount-helper.sh_mod.tar.gz 
Filesize  1.46 KB 
Downloaded  32 Time(s) 

_________________
Dog Linux website
Tinylinux blog by wiak
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
fredx181


Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 4204
Location: holland

PostPosted: Sat 08 Sep 2018, 04:03    Post subject:  

trister wrote:
StretchDog loads at start 120+ squashfs and bionicdog loads 10 squashfs (which are the exact ones that I use in StretchDog).


Do you mean that Bionicdog is limited to load no more than 10 squashfs ?

I have no idea about why there's speed difference for you, for me it's practically the same.

Fred

_________________
Dog Linux website
Tinylinux blog by wiak
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
dcung

Joined: 13 Jul 2018
Posts: 236
Location: Down Under - 3rd rock from Sun.

PostPosted: Sat 08 Sep 2018, 04:23    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
How about "fatdog-drive-icon-mount-helper.sh" ? Laughing

Well... it works but needs "guessfstype", install from synaptic or apt-get.
I modified a bit (commented out a few lines that are puppy specific only and not needed for Bionicdog), see attached. should work the same as in Fatdog,


Good idea, Fred! 🏆
I just tried it (using your modified one), but could not find guess_fstype or guessfstype (thru synaptic nor apt-get). I did update the database first apt-get update.
Code:
root@biodog-sh:~# apt-get install guess_fstype
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package guess_fstype
root@biodog-sh:~#

root@biodog-sh:~/MyData# ./fatdog-drive-icon-mount-helper.sh /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1
./fatdog-drive-icon-mount-helper.sh: line 53: guess_fstype: command not found
root@biodog-sh:~/MyData#


EDIT - It just appears... Maybe you just uploaded to repo..and it needs time to sync.
And..
Yes....IT WORKS!

Thanks Fred...

Last edited by dcung on Sat 08 Sep 2018, 05:09; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
dcung

Joined: 13 Jul 2018
Posts: 236
Location: Down Under - 3rd rock from Sun.

PostPosted: Sat 08 Sep 2018, 04:50    Post subject:  

dcung wrote:
rcrsn51 wrote:
With what filesystem is sdb1 formatted?


ext4.

Does it matter though? I'm hoping it doesn't, that way whatever USB disk I plug in, the startup command still works.


Now, I get it why Bill was asking...
And I also was having trouble when I just execute mount command back then, before step provided fatdog script.

Never realised that guess_fstype took care of that..🙂
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
trister

Joined: 01 Mar 2015
Posts: 124

PostPosted: Sat 08 Sep 2018, 05:18    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
trister wrote:
StretchDog loads at start 120+ squashfs and bionicdog loads 10 squashfs (which are the exact ones that I use in StretchDog).


Do you mean that Bionicdog is limited to load no more than 10 squashfs ?

Fred

No , I have seen no limitation to the number of loaded squashfs in Bionic. (I would like to thank you again that in the distant past you had increased the number of sfs I could load Smile )

I was just trying to point out that I see Bionic run more slow with just a fraction of the (same) squashfs files I use on StretchDog. I'm talking about the same PCs that see the same GPUs.

I was just making an observation. It just seems a bit odd. For example in the same palemoon with the same flash version. I had opened 5 swf games in StretchDog and 2 on Bionic and I had much worst fps. It seemed strange to me. Maybe it lacks another acceleration driver that I can't think of.

The most important thing I want Bionic to do for me is run the Vidyo Conference client (it runs only in ububtu -not debian) so this doesn't bother me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
ETP


Joined: 19 Oct 2010
Posts: 1173
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sat 08 Sep 2018, 07:34    Post subject:  

Hi trister,
Quote:
The most important thing I want Bionic to do for me is run the Vidyo Conference client (it runs only in ububtu -not debian) so this doesn't bother me.

This may be good news for you.
https://home.cern/cern-people/announcements/2018/07/video-conference-vidyoconnect-replace-current-clients

_________________
Regards ETP

Kennels
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
fredx181


Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 4204
Location: holland

PostPosted: Sat 08 Sep 2018, 13:03    Post subject:  

trister wrote:
No , I have seen no limitation to the number of loaded squashfs in Bionic. (I would like to thank you again that in the distant past you had increased the number of sfs I could load Smile )


I see what you mean now, and you're welcome Smile

Quote:
I was just trying to point out that I see Bionic run more slow with just a fraction of the (same) squashfs files I use on StretchDog. I'm talking about the same PCs that see the same GPUs.


Interesting. One of the obvious differences is that Bionicdog runs with systemd as default.
Just a guess, that could be a reason why it runs slower with many .squashfs loaded.
When you have time, can you boot Stretch with systemd and check if that makes a difference in speed when loading many .squashfs modules ?
(Add init=/bin/systemd to kernel command line booting Stretch)
EDIT: But maybe you already boot Stretch with systemd, in that case, the above can be ignored)

Fred

_________________
Dog Linux website
Tinylinux blog by wiak
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
trister

Joined: 01 Mar 2015
Posts: 124

PostPosted: Sun 09 Sep 2018, 15:20    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:


Interesting. One of the obvious differences is that Bionicdog runs with systemd as default.
Just a guess, that could be a reason why it runs slower with many .squashfs loaded.
When you have time, can you boot Stretch with systemd and check if that makes a difference in speed when loading many .squashfs modules ?
(Add init=/bin/systemd to kernel command line booting Stretch)
EDIT: But maybe you already boot Stretch with systemd, in that case, the above can be ignored)

Fred


I think I already use systemd. I'm booting using porteus boot and running htop I see many processes that contain systemd.
Maybe it is the Tint or other Desktop apps you put in Bionic? I use openbox and xfce4-panel in StretchDog.

As I said I'm quite happy with the StretchDog I've made from your script.



ETP wrote:

This may be good news for you.
https://home.cern/cern-people/announcements/2018/07/video-conference-vidyoconnect-replace-current-clients

Thanks for the info. I'll check if our Vidyo Server supports that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
fredx181


Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Posts: 4204
Location: holland

PostPosted: Tue 11 Sep 2018, 05:40    Post subject:  

Hi trister,

Quote:
I think I already use systemd. I'm booting using porteus boot and running htop I see many processes that contain systemd.


Two ways to run Stretch with "full" systemd:
- install package "systemd-sysv" and reboot (makes systemd default, if you have it already installed, then indeed you use systemd)
- add init=/bin/systemd to kernel boot line (but that's not needed if systemd-sysv is already installed)

Fred

_________________
Dog Linux website
Tinylinux blog by wiak
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
ITSMERSH

Joined: 02 May 2018
Posts: 911

PostPosted: Thu 13 Sep 2018, 18:17    Post subject:  

Hi.

I was lately in trouble. Exactly on 8th of September 2018, two days after playing a show with my band Helix Research Kitchen.

We had planned to record this show by five action video cameras (Rollei 415) and 26-multi-track recording. We assumed being faced to a Windows machine having Cubase or something similar installed.

Yes, it was a Windows machine having Windows 10 installed. Though, the recording software wasn't Cubase or any like that.

Instead it was -to my surprise- Ardour5 5.12 installed and ready to record 32 tracks simultaneously! Shocked

I'm quiet curious if this could work in any Linux (several earlier tests made failed completely)?

However, we could not use the Ardour5 project to load into Ardor3 (which I have installed in my Art Studio) and so we planned to buy a version for Windows (my friend and fellow musician still has Windows 7 machines).

Then...

...then BionicDog came to mind. Booted into and checked the repositories for Ardour. It returned Ardour5 5.12. Downloaded, installed runs and loaded the win-recorded project without any problems.

That's so pretty cool, I just can't say it the right way.

Thanks for that BionicDog.

My friend and fellow musician will buy a USB HD tomorrow. I'm going to install my edition of BionicDog (a complete audio studio) including Ardour5 to this USB HD. So we can split the work to do the mix-downs using Ardour5 and BionicDog on different machines.

Hopefully it will run on this other machine!

Edit:

Here's a screenshot of the equal Ardour5 squashfs (only customized the /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu directory for Puppy) running in Studio2Go playing the win-recorded multi-track project..

_________________
RSH

Beware of the Dog ähem nic007! Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
aledie

Joined: 10 Sep 2018
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep 2018, 01:34    Post subject:  

Just tried BionicDog, very good impression so far.

May I suggest a tool I found perfectly suited for such a lightweight system. Ice SSB from Peppermint OS (possible use - Google drive, MS office apps, if can live without heavy Libre office):
https://peppermintos.com/guide/ice/
https://launchpad.net/~peppermintos/+archive/ubuntu/p9-release/+files/ice_5.3.4_all.deb
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Moat


Joined: 16 Jul 2013
Posts: 967
Location: Mid-mitten

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep 2018, 03:02    Post subject:  

aledie wrote:
May I suggest a tool I found perfectly suited for such a lightweight system. Ice SSB from Peppermint OS...


Thanks for this heads-up and .deb link, aledie (and welcome to the Puppy forum) - very cool. Cool I recall Dedomiedo mentioning these in-browser web app "containers" in, IIRC, a Manjaro (??) review - and it sounded like a very useful idea.

I just downloaded the above-linked .deb and installed in the Bionic Mate I'm browsing on ATM, and it installed and runs perfectly. Super!

@RSH - Great story! I've been meaning to attempt putting together a BionicDog DAW with Rockedge's rt kernel one of these days - your story is proof of the potential! Cool

Bob
Ice SSB.jpg
 Description   Using an online vector graphic creation website...
 Filesize   152.12 KB
 Viewed   735 Time(s)

Ice SSB.jpg

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
mikeslr


Joined: 16 Jun 2008
Posts: 3541
Location: 500 seconds from Sol

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep 2018, 10:02    Post subject:  

aledie wrote:

May I suggest a tool I found perfectly suited for such a lightweight system. Ice SSB from Peppermint OS


Puppy has had what I believe is the functional equivalent for about 7 years thanks to sszindian and Puppymartin. It's My-Cloud-Apps, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=536967#536967. No-Arch, it should function under any Puppy.

Note: IIRC, its GUI enables you to add "Apps/Links". But some of the "Apps/Links" pre-installed 7 years ago may be non-functional/dead or you may not want them. To remove them, you may have to open /root/my-applications/bin/AppStarter.conf in a text-editor and edit.

mikesLr
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
ITSMERSH

Joined: 02 May 2018
Posts: 911

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep 2018, 10:18    Post subject:  

Moat wrote:
@RSH - Great story! I've been meaning to attempt putting together a BionicDog DAW with Rockedge's rt kernel one of these days - your story is proof of the potential! Cool

Bob

Hi moat.

Fredx181 has made a real-time kernel for BionicDog (32bit) which I'm running already on my machine at home. For the DAW-Project I could offer some audio .squashfs modules containing Ardour, Jack Mixer, Qtractor, QJackCtl, Rosegarden, ZynAddSubFx plus many different Synthesizers like Helm and PhaseX.

_________________
RSH

Beware of the Dog ähem nic007! Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Moat


Joined: 16 Jul 2013
Posts: 967
Location: Mid-mitten

PostPosted: Fri 14 Sep 2018, 15:00    Post subject:  

Hi RSH -

ITSMERSH wrote:
For the DAW-Project I could offer some audio .squashfs modules containing Ardour, Jack Mixer, Qtractor, QJackCtl, Rosegarden, ZynAddSubFx plus many different Synthesizers like Helm and PhaseX.


On one hand, that would be flippin' awesome (!), thanks... but unless others chime in, please don't bother on my account - as life has me buried in other things ATM and I'll probably not get any chance soon to work with it.

And thanks for the reminder about Fred's RT kernel - I now recall seeing that earlier in the this thread...

Too many cool ideas... but not enough free time! Grrr... Crying or Very sad Laughing

Bob
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 35 of 57 [844 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, ..., 55, 56, 57 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1122s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0449s) ][ GZIP on ]