BionicDog (updated: 2018-06-04)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
quantumbox

Re: 32-bit compatibility

#646 Post by quantumbox »

westwest wrote:Hi, is there an equivalent to puppy's "32-bit compatibility sfs" for BionicDog64?

Thanks.
Like mike said, adding 32 bit architecture,

dpkg --add-architecture i386
apt-get update

but you will facing a problem with overwriting /usr/share/doc and /usr/share/man. I resolve this by deleting all inside those folder. it's true this will use some space, but not much

mikeslr

#647 Post by mikeslr »

As I've often said, my memory tends to be flaky.

fredx181

Re: 32-bit compatibility

#648 Post by fredx181 »

quantumbox wrote:
westwest wrote:Hi, is there an equivalent to puppy's "32-bit compatibility sfs" for BionicDog64?

Thanks.
Like mike said, adding 32 bit architecture,

dpkg --add-architecture i386
apt-get update

but you will facing a problem with overwriting /usr/share/doc and /usr/share/man. I resolve this by deleting all inside those folder. it's true this will use some space, but not much
Thanks, yes, for more clarity, if you get that "trying to overwrite" errors (or something like that) do not remove the man and doc folders in /usr/share, remove the files inside, this way:

Code: Select all

find /usr/share/doc -type f -exec rm -f {} \;
find /usr/share/man -type f -exec rm -f {} \;
find /usr/share/info -type f -exec rm -f {} \;
find /usr/share/gnome/help -type f -exec rm -f {} \;
find /usr/share/gtk-doc -type f -exec rm -f {} \;
See also 2) at Changes and Fixes

Fred

Moat

Re: New ! Cinnamon version

#649 Post by Moat »

fredx181 wrote:*** BionicDog 64-bit Cinnamon version ***
I finally got around to installing this Cinnamon version to a USB drive a while back, and wanted to mention a few things I had made a note of - before I forget (yet AGAIN... oops... :roll: );

1) While booted/running from the BionicDog Cinnamon liveCD, I installed to USB stick using the included installer, pointing to the downloaded .iso file on my laptop's mounted hard drive. But - the finished stick wouldn't boot - throwing an error along the lines of "Cannot read 01-filesystem.squashfs - corrupted module?"... or something close to that.

I booted up a Puppy CD, mounted the BionicDog Cinnamon USB stick and deleted the 01-filesystem.squashfs - then mounted the downloaded BionicDog Cinnamon .iso and copied/pasted its 01-filesystem.squashfs back over to the original's location on the USB stick. It now boots fine! Multiple boots, savefile/changes .dat created... all good.

So indeed, it appears as if the 01-filesystem.squashfs may be being corrupted during USB installation, somehow...?

2) The .desktop file for "Create Savefile" was missing - I just copied over one from my StretchDog mklive build (from the /usr/share/applications/ directory) - all now works, and icon shows and launches the program from the menu.

I've used Cinnamon in various distros in the past, and it's quite pleasantly surprising how fast and responsive this Dog feels in comparison - very cool!! 8)

Bob

ETP

New ! Cinnamon version

#650 Post by ETP »

Hi Moat,

Lest I set off on the wrong tack you wrote:
1) While booted/running from the BionicDog Cinnamon liveCD,........
Would I be correct in assuming that you started by burning the downloaded ISO image to optical media?
If so, what OS and burning app did you use to do that?
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

Moat

#651 Post by Moat »

Hi Etp -
ETP wrote:Would I be correct in assuming that you started by burning the downloaded ISO image to optical media?
If so, what OS and burning app did you use to do that?
Yikes - it was a while ago so I'm not entirely sure, but yes - burned the .iso image to a CD, mostly likely using Brasero on Ubuntu 18.04 Mate.

Second most likely would have been using burncdcc on Windows 7. But I'm fairly confident it was the former - Brasero/Ubuntu Mate.

I also do recall doing multiple re-boots to the BionicDog Cinnamon CD and subsequent re-installs to the USB flash drive - but all to no avail and throwing the same error until I tried the direct-copy of the main .sfs to USB, as described above. Iso checksums were OK, AFAIRC, too. (edit - yup - just re-checked the .iso - MD5 is OK)

I've also burned a number of other Dogs/Pups on this same Brasero/Mate system (or the Win7/burncdcc system, for that matter) - all without any issue.

Hope that helps...?? I need to pick up some more blank CD's (I'm just about out), but I can try some different "burns" in order to test, if you'd like...

Bob

ETP

New ! Cinnamon version

#652 Post by ETP »

Hi Moat,

IMHO and tests there is nothing wrong with the files in the ISO image and things have gone wrong with the original burn to
optical media. The most likely cause of a bad burn is defective optical media. It can often happen that there will be a
few duff ones in a new pack which may or may not pass a verification test.
It very much sounds as though there was some corruption when the main sfs was burnt which was not evident
initially but subsequently impacted when you attempted to install to a USB stick.

I would suggest that you try burning another CD-R with what you have found in the past to be your most reliable method.
Use the same CD drive but at the slowest possible burning speed. Before you insert the new CD-R examine the surface at various angles
under a strong light to make sure that it is free from surface scratches and blemishes in the substrate.
Regards ETP
[url=http://tinyurl.com/pxzq8o9][img]https://s17.postimg.cc/tl19y14y7/You_Tube_signature80px.png[/img][/url]
[url=http://tinyurl.com/kennels2/]Kennels[/url]

fredx181

#653 Post by fredx181 »

Moat wrote:I installed to USB stick using the included installer, pointing to the downloaded .iso file on my laptop's mounted hard drive.
There may be some confusion here.
As I understand you booted from CD without problems and used the frugal installer (BionicDog-Frugal-Install) from Menu to install to USB.
My guess is that something went wrong with copying 01-filesystem.squashfs by the installer.
I'll try to reproduce within the next days.

Fred

DevilMind

#654 Post by DevilMind »

fredx181 wrote:
Moat wrote:I installed to USB stick using the included installer, pointing to the downloaded .iso file on my laptop's mounted hard drive.
There may be some confusion here.
As I understand you booted from CD without problems and used the frugal installer (BionicDog-Frugal-Install) from Menu to install to USB.
My guess is that something went wrong with copying 01-filesystem.squashfs by the installer.
I'll try to reproduce within the next days.

Fred
how to install latest Kernel: 4.19 on this???
i like BionicDog :)

Moat

#655 Post by Moat »

Hi ETP & Fred -
ETP wrote:It very much sounds as though there was some corruption when the main sfs was burnt which was not evident
initially but subsequently impacted when you attempted to install to a USB stick.
Yes - this indeed seems to be the case. I just did a fresh download/burn onto a CD-R from a newly purchased batch (Memorex), and all is now well - with a fully booting and functioning USB flash drive frugal install (with the formerly missing BionicDog-Frugal-Install .desktop file & menu entry now back and working).

So sorry for any trouble/worries!! It was a bit odd for me, though - the first "bad burn" I've had in quite some time. :?

That's my excuse, anyway... :wink:

So no need to explore further. Thanks, fellas!

Bob

DevilMind

#656 Post by DevilMind »

how to install Chrome or Chromium on this? Download via Snaptic does not work.

fredx181

#657 Post by fredx181 »

DevilMind wrote:how to install Chrome or Chromium on this? Download via Snaptic does not work.
For Chromium: it's named chromium-browser
For Chrome (64-bit only): Install google-chrome-stable

Fred

DevilMind

#658 Post by DevilMind »

fredx181 wrote:
DevilMind wrote:how to install Chrome or Chromium on this? Download via Snaptic does not work.
For Chromium: it's named chromium-browser
For Chrome (64-bit only): Install google-chrome-stable

Fred
hi its a great Distro, but can we get same Conky system monitor + Theme for other Linux Puppy such as LxPupSc ??

quantumbox

#659 Post by quantumbox »

Install deb file from official Chrome download, this will also add custom repository for next update

Run with this command
google-chrome-stable --no-sandbox

because Chrome not allow root user to run this with default setup. I my self create new .desktop files with that argument

wiak

#660 Post by wiak »

Hi Fred,

Noticed BionicDog64 pre-installed weX not working properly with Bionic ffmpeg. Simple fix as described here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 01#1009501

cheers, wiak

fredx181

#661 Post by fredx181 »

wiak wrote:Hi Fred,

Noticed BionicDog64 pre-installed weX not working properly with Bionic ffmpeg. Simple fix as described here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 01#1009501

cheers, wiak
Hi wiak, I'm not sure yet that I understand the details for the fix, but can we possibly work on a new .deb for weX that can make this change automatically maybe ?
(could be difficult, but should be better IMO than only providing info what to do)

Hey :) almost summer where you live, take it easy !!

EDIT:
William wrote:When weX is run for the first time it copies /etc/wex folder to ~/.wex automagically, so all should be fine if ~/.wex is removed before first run.
To clarify, I mean that it would be nice if it isn't needed for the user to remove ~/.wex if first run has already been done with earlier version.

Fred

wiak

#662 Post by wiak »

fredx181 wrote:
wiak wrote:
EDIT:
William wrote:When weX is run for the first time it copies /etc/wex folder to ~/.wex automagically, so all should be fine if ~/.wex is removed before first run.
To clarify, I mean that it would be nice if it isn't needed for the user to remove ~/.wex if first run has already been done with earlier version.
Fred
Yes, I agree, and that is in fact one of the things I was planning for this next release I am 'slowly' working on. Reason I had decided not to do that for previous releases is that I didn't want new installation to destroy previous config in case user had some special edits they didn't want to suddenly lose, but I have decided that will be user's responsibility to back up their own special config edits since new installation will over-write the old configs.

Yeah, weather good here, and I'm making some major changes, including, as I said to precord (adding some wex user-util capability to it too), so will be a week to finish, or maybe more if the sun keeps shining here...

wiak

wiak

fredx181

#663 Post by fredx181 »

Hi wiak, all,

I misunderstood, obviously weX doesn't work at all on BionicDog.
I thought there were (just) out-of-sync issues. I should have tested a while back already :oops:

For the time being (until you release new version) I added new package version (0.8.18-2) to repos, which has the ffmpegFilter_Complex0="" in /etc/wex/plugins/audio_in.plug

For who ran weX already earlier, remove ~/.wex after installing new version and it should work ok.

Install new package version from Synaptic (click "Reload" first) or with apt-get:

Code: Select all

apt-get update
apt-get install wex
Fred

dcung

Screen Saver

#664 Post by dcung »

Hi,

Screen goes blank/saver kick in when I watch youtube videos, and no mouse activity for a while.

Where do you set the time out or disable screen blanking?

Thanks.

EDIT:
Found it - Thank you.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=174

quantumbox

Re: Screen Saver

#665 Post by quantumbox »

dcung wrote:Hi,

Screen goes blank/saver kick in when I watch youtube videos, and no mouse activity for a while.

Where do you set the time out or disable screen blanking?

Thanks.

EDIT:
Found it - Thank you.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=174
On Bionicdog cinnamon edition on start menu, search Power Management, then set never on Power Option