Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 14 Nov 2019, 08:03
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
BionicDog (updated: 2018-06-04)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 47 of 57 [844 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, ..., 55, 56, 57 Next
quantumbox

PostPosted: Tue 05 Feb 2019, 20:31    Post subject:  

I don't know if this is normal, when shutdown the following warning appears

Failed unmounting /mnt/live/memory/changes
Failed unmounting /mnt/live/mnt/sda1
Failed unmounting /mnt/live

Is this safe or are there another solution

BTW I'm using portreous boot in ext4 HDD, and same problem in USB ext4
This happened in Cinnamon edition only, does not occur in BionicDog64_2018-06-04.iso version
ETP

PostPosted: Wed 06 Feb 2019, 10:50    Post subject:  

quantumbox wrote:

This happened in Cinnamon edition only, does not occur in BionicDog64_2018-06-04.iso version

Hi quantumbox,
That message has been there since the Cinnamon version was released last August. It seems benign and can I believe, be safely ignored.
It is probably another consequence of running everything as root.

Kennels
quantumbox

PostPosted: Wed 06 Feb 2019, 19:21    Post subject:  

ETP wrote:
quantumbox wrote:

Hi quantumbox,
That message has been there since the Cinnamon version was released last August. It seems benign and can I believe, be safely ignored.
It is probably another consequence of running everything as root.

After reading the previous post, finally I was able to solve the problem, I just need to add the following command near the end of wmpoweroff and wmreboot script located in /usr/bin

umount -l /mnt/live/memory/changes 2> /dev/null
umount -l /mnt/live/mnt 2> /dev/null
umount -l /mnt/live 2> /dev/null

and now shutdown is faster Very Happy
ETP

PostPosted: Fri 08 Feb 2019, 11:14    Post subject:  

Hi quantumbox,

Thanks for your solution. I will need to liaise with Fred on this problem
as changes to those scripts may be required in all versions.

Kennels
sinc

PostPosted: Wed 13 Feb 2019, 00:56    Post subject:  

Hi all, thank you so much for your efforts. This has been so much fun to play around with.

Just fyi before my question, I'd put me in the category of novice linux user. I'm not afraid to try stuff but don't know what I'm doing without googling it.

I am using the Cinnamon variation of BionicDog.

I bought a wifi dongle since the old computer I am using doesn't have builtin wifi and I need to install the driver for RTL8821AU. I have gone all through the Ubuntu discussion forums and I just can't make it work.

At one point, I had Ubuntu installed and in the software packages I was able to simply say Use Third Party Drivers and it functioned.

Can anyone help me get this wifi adapter working? thank you again, i have already spent too many hours playing with this... my wife is getting annoyed Smile.

One other question if I may. I didnt really see covered in the thread (I have gone back and read all 47 pages so maybe I missed it). Is it not recommended to run apt update and apt upgrade because it makes the size of the OS so enormous after doing so?
I try to use copy2ram in Grub but I have maxed out the ram here at 4 Gigs and I believe it gets too large to run in Ram if I update all the packages. Does this sound like I'm making sense. Thanks again.
quantumbox

PostPosted: Wed 13 Feb 2019, 20:08    Post subject:  

sinc wrote:
Hi all, thank you so much for your efforts. This has been so much fun to play around with.

Just fyi before my question, I'd put me in the category of novice linux user. I'm not afraid to try stuff but don't know what I'm doing without googling it.

I am using the Cinnamon variation of BionicDog.

I bought a wifi dongle since the old computer I am using doesn't have builtin wifi and I need to install the driver for RTL8821AU. I have gone all through the Ubuntu discussion forums and I just can't make it work.

At one point, I had Ubuntu installed and in the software packages I was able to simply say Use Third Party Drivers and it functioned.

Can anyone help me get this wifi adapter working? thank you again, i have already spent too many hours playing with this... my wife is getting annoyed Smile.

One other question if I may. I didnt really see covered in the thread (I have gone back and read all 47 pages so maybe I missed it). Is it not recommended to run apt update and apt upgrade because it makes the size of the OS so enormous after doing so?
I try to use copy2ram in Grub but I have maxed out the ram here at 4 Gigs and I believe it gets too large to run in Ram if I update all the packages. Does this sound like I'm making sense. Thanks again.

I have similar problem with RTL8821CE, you need to compile driver yourself.
Before you do that, you need to install linux header for your kernel version. Search in synaptic linux-headers-4.15.0-xx, and download driver source from here

https://github.com/paralin/rtl8821au

download, extract, open terminal on that folder then execute this command

make all

after finish compiling

make install
modprobe -a 8821au

For ram less or equal to 2 GB you can upgrade it, by removing EXIT on grub setting so changes in file system directly write into disk.

changes=EXIT:/casper to changes=:/casper

You need to install bleachbit to clean your system after upgrading
sinc

PostPosted: Thu 14 Feb 2019, 09:06    Post subject:  

Thanks so much quantumbox. based on your instructions I got my wifi working last night. Though inside the file you sent was a readme file that directed me to another site with a more updated driver. So I used that one but either way... its working and I thank you.

I haven't tried upgrading the packages yet as you suggested. I'm still afraid of the size it might become. When it has to run from my harddisk instead of RAM it really really really slows down. Basically to unusable.

I went through a few other fixes from this thread last night. The two on the first post, fixing evince, changing the mplayer settings, putting in the shutdown code. There actually are a few not listed on the first page.

After doing this, and before installing the upgrade, how can I save my changes folder so I can revert back if I need to?

I assume I can just change the extension to .old (or something) and a new one will be created. Can you tell me the location of the folder I should retain? The drive path.

i also tried the Nvidia update that was mentioned, I do have an Nvidia card, but the command ubuntu-drivers devices returns an error. Any idea why that would be? Does ETP have something installed thats not on the base system or removed from Cinnamon?

Ohh, another question, probably ignorant but I don't know any better. When I was running codes last night I needed to open a terminal from inside a folder. But when I right click and use Open Terminal Here it provides a terminal that doesn't have copy/paste abilities. So I would open the terminal from the taskbar and cd to the correct directory so I could use the paste funtion. There appears to be quite a few terminals installed. Is there a particular reason for this? Can the 'right click' > open terminal here be changed to the more 'user friendly' (as I see it anyways) one?
Best Regards.
quantumbox

PostPosted: Thu 14 Feb 2019, 11:36    Post subject:  

sinc wrote:
Thanks so much quantumbox. based on your instructions I got my wifi working last night. Though inside the file you sent was a readme file that directed me to another site with a more updated driver. So I used that one but either way... its working and I thank you.

I haven't tried upgrading the packages yet as you suggested. I'm still afraid of the size it might become. When it has to run from my harddisk instead of RAM it really really really slows down. Basically to unusable.

I went through a few other fixes from this thread last night. The two on the first post, fixing evince, changing the mplayer settings, putting in the shutdown code. There actually are a few not listed on the first page.

After doing this, and before installing the upgrade, how can I save my changes folder so I can revert back if I need to?

I assume I can just change the extension to .old (or something) and a new one will be created. Can you tell me the location of the folder I should retain? The drive path.

i also tried the Nvidia update that was mentioned, I do have an Nvidia card, but the command ubuntu-drivers devices returns an error. Any idea why that would be? Does ETP have something installed thats not on the base system or removed from Cinnamon?

Ohh, another question, probably ignorant but I don't know any better. When I was running codes last night I needed to open a terminal from inside a folder. But when I right click and use Open Terminal Here it provides a terminal that doesn't have copy/paste abilities. So I would open the terminal from the taskbar and cd to the correct directory so I could use the paste funtion. There appears to be quite a few terminals installed. Is there a particular reason for this? Can the 'right click' > open terminal here be changed to the more 'user friendly' (as I see it anyways) one?
Best Regards.

Switch prefered application for terminal with Gnome Terminal in system settings

I usually backup save folder by compressing to tar.gz using packit app from puppy linux.

Installing nvidia driver from synaptic works just fine but when I move my usb stic to intel, cinnamon shows error, so I stick to nouveau driver, because I use this linux on multiple devices
ETP

PostPosted: Thu 14 Feb 2019, 13:22    Post subject:  

Hi sinc,

Quote:
Though inside the file you sent was a readme file that directed me to another site with a more updated driver. So I used that one but either way... its working and I thank you.

Just for the record did you use this git https://github.com/diederikdehaas/rtl8812AU/tree/driver-4.3.20 which is updated & also covers your rtl8821AU with the 4.15 kernel?

Quote:
how can I save my changes folder so I can revert back if I need to?

The folder to be backed up is the changes folder within the /bionicdog/casper folder
The easiest way to do that is using another Pup/Dog copy it to a Linux partition with adequate free space (say 8GB) on a USB stick or card.
Restore using another Pup by deleting the offending folder and then copying the original back from the stick.

Quote:
I also tried the Nvidia update that was mentioned, I do have an Nvidia card, but the command ubuntu-drivers devices returns an error. Any idea why that would be? Does ETP have something installed thats not on the base system or removed from Cinnamon?

The relevant script(s) were updated (fixed) by Ubuntu on 10th Oct 2018. My how-to followed that on 1st December. So you would need to update to get that recommendation.
The Nvidia Linux site will tell you whether the 340 or 390 applies.

With regard to updating with 4GB RAM using copy2ram, make sure that you have a swap file or swap partition of 4GB to avoid problems.
Ideally you should backup and update regularly. If you click on reload in synaptic it will display available updates plus their combined size.
Many of them will be fixes others will be updates to packages.
Following a large update you can run the following to clean up.
apt-get clean
apt-get autoclean
changes.png
 Description   
 Filesize   47.66 KB
 Viewed   635 Time(s)

changes.png

Kennels
fredx181

PostPosted: Thu 14 Feb 2019, 16:43    Post subject:  

Hi sinc,

To add to the previous replies:
I'd recommend for creating changes backup to use cp from terminal, better do not use filemanager (it may skip special file types).
So from terminal standing in the directory where the changes folder is located:
Code:
cp -a changes changes.bak

As ETP adviced it's good to to do the copying from another OS, but you can also boot BionicDog without changes for one time (i.e. remove the changes=/... from kernel command line) and then make backup.

About the upgrading, as quantumbox said, best is to use changes=/... not changes=EXIT:/..
But if you do want to try with the EXIT: (after backup of changes made), then you can add e.g.
Code:
ramsize=90%

to the kernel boot line.
The default is 60%, so with 90% you'll have some more (using EXIT the changes are in RAM) and will probably finish OK with 4GB RAM.
I just did "apt-get upgrade" on BD Cinnamon and it really took a lot of space for me (but was long time ago since I did it).

Fred

sinc

PostPosted: Thu 14 Feb 2019, 23:00    Post subject:  

Sorry for my delay guys. I should be able to respond tomorrow. Thank you so much for the instruction. I'm like a sponge.. Smile
fredx181

PostPosted: Fri 15 Feb 2019, 06:28    Post subject:  

Hi sinc, you can try also rtl8812au-dkms package that you can install with apt-get or synaptic.
(I didn't test though and not sure if it provides also the rtl8821AU driver)
First install linux-headers-4.15.0-22-generic and then rtl8812au-dkms

Fred

quantumbox

PostPosted: Fri 15 Feb 2019, 10:21    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Hi sinc, you can try also rtl8812au-dkms package that you can install with apt-get or synaptic.
(I didn't test though and not sure if it provides also the rtl8821AU driver)
First install linux-headers-4.15.0-22-generic and then rtl8812au-dkms

Fred

I just realized that the rtl8812au-dkms driver existed in synaptic, I think DKMS driver is better option, so You don't need to manually recompile the driver when updating kernel and kernel header
sinc

PostPosted: Fri 15 Feb 2019, 14:07    Post subject:  

Thanks again for all the instruction. I'm sorry if my below questions are annoying. I'm just unclear and feel lucky to have a few experts willing to help me learn. These are my updates from the instructions so far.

Q - can you explain more specifically the best place to put your 'unmount' code at the top of page 47? I put it in the sections about shutting down with Changes=Exit but then it only works when using that save method.
1. is there a place to put it in the script where it will fix all the various save/no save methods?

Fred and Q - thanks for the headsup about the rtl8812au-dkms package in synaptic. When i searched before i think I only ever searched for 21 and never searched for 12.
Though I appreciate the opportunity to learn to manually compile the driver
2. is there a way to cleanly remove the driver and install the synaptic version or do I need to start over with a fresh install of the OS?

I did make a backup of my changes folder last night. Im a bit thickheaded but I did it from a terminal with the command provided by fred from WITHIN BionicDog.
3. Whats the reasoning for having to be in a different OS to backup the folder?
4. Do you really think if I just right-clicked the changes folder and used 'copy' (assuming this is an option, I didnt check) and pasted a copy of the folder to /mnt/home it wouldn't work correctly? How would it mess it up?

After successfully backing up the changes folder (i think, i actually didnt test it, so as mentioned above, I may have screwed it up). I did run the updates and upgrades by removing the EXIT command from Grub and all seemed to work perfectly. I then used clean and autoclean as suggested by ETP and bleachbit as suggested by Quantumbox. I'm not sure of the effect it had on the size of the distro but it was still operating as snappily as before so as a user, it had no noticeable downside.
5. Can I ask about the reason why ramsize has to be set to a higher number? I would have thought it was always at 100%. Why is it set at 60% by default?
ETP

PostPosted: Fri 15 Feb 2019, 17:14    Post subject:  

Hi sinc,

Quote:
3. Whats the reasoning for having to be in a different OS to backup the folder?

A running OS may not have any obvious applications running but there are various processes constantly active
in the background. Some of those will have locks set on files whilst they are being actioned.
Those locked files cannot be backed up so you may get a backup that is incomplete and not an exact clone of the O/S.
At best you may restore from the backup, find that it boots & not suffer any ill effects if nothing vital has been missed.
At worst the the restore will fail to boot because the backup lacked vital components.
If the OS is not running that pitfall is avoided.
Proper backup/cloning tools such as the free Clonezilla may be booted from a USB stick and then used to backup complete disks
or various partitions on a disk. In addition they verify the backup to ensure that it is an exact copy & is restorable.

I would stress the importance of Fred's advice to use cp -a which ensures that all permissions are copied and preserved.
Finally,
Quote:
Thank you so much for the instruction. I'm like a sponge.. Smile

It is rare for forum members to reveal their true identities and brave of you to do so:
Welcome to the forum SpongeBob SquarePants Laughing

Kennels
Page 47 of 57 [844 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, ..., 55, 56, 57 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: