Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 23 Oct 2019, 17:20
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
BionicDog (updated: 2018-06-04)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 49 of 56 [839 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, ..., 54, 55, 56 Next
sinc

PostPosted: Mon 18 Feb 2019, 18:50    Post subject:  

question about launching browsers faster.

when i click an application, I am primarily noticing it with the web browsers, i installed chromium and firefox is already installed, after I click the application it takes around 8 or 9 seconds before it opens for the first time. I *think* this is only occurring on the first time I launch the application after each reboot.
does this sound like it makes sense?
is there a way to have the web browsers as if the have already loaded once when the computer boots up and therefore will load faster when I click it?

btw... i am getting along nicely. ive upgraded all the packages and the kernel (via the kernel upgrader app) and reinstalled the linux headers so my rtl8812au would work again. im very happy to have chromium functioning. its all working very nicely.

i wanted to uninstall xterm bc it seems (from what little I know) that gnome terminal is more functional but there seems to be a lot of programs dependent on xterm. i think i will undertake trying to figure out if I can change the dependency from xterm to gnome terminal.

thanks all.
wiak

PostPosted: Mon 18 Feb 2019, 22:58    Post subject:  

sinc wrote:

is there a way to have the web browsers as if the have already loaded once when the computer boots up and therefore will load faster when I click it?

i wanted to uninstall xterm bc it seems (from what little I know) that gnome terminal is more functional but there seems to be a lot of programs dependent on xterm. i think i will undertake trying to figure out if I can change the dependency from xterm to gnome terminal.

thanks all.

I guess you could actually load your preferred browser via say a simple shell script in /root/Startup and have that script then close the browser (or, if you generally always use browser anyway, just manually close it when you like...); presumably much would be then left in memory giving quick later browser startup (at cost of slower actual boot)?

If some of the programs you use depend on xterm why not just leave it in since main binary is only half a MB and extra libs or other components for it may well be needed in other terms or elsewhere anyway? i.e. Just install gnome-terminal as separate terminal. If you want gnome-terminal to pop-up from other apps rather than xterm I guess you could try something like renaming original xterm (say to xterm1 (or xtermORIGINAL) and then making xterm a symbolic link to gnome-terminal such that call to xterm will actually open up gnome-terminal?

Code:
ln -s path_to_gnome_terminal /usr/bin/xterm

May or may not be useful (and perhaps cause other problems...) or maybe someone has better idea to do this anyway? By keeping original xterm the above at least allows you to put it all back to original if problems.

wiak
dancytron

PostPosted: Mon 18 Feb 2019, 23:49    Post subject:  

sinc wrote:
question about launching browsers faster.

when i click an application, I am primarily noticing it with the web browsers, i installed chromium and firefox is already installed, after I click the application it takes around 8 or 9 seconds before it opens for the first time. I *think* this is only occurring on the first time I launch the application after each reboot.
does this sound like it makes sense?

btw... i am getting along nicely. ive upgraded all the packages and the kernel (via the kernel upgrader app) and reinstalled the linux headers so my rtl8812au would work again. im very happy to have chromium functioning. its all working very nicely.

thanks all.

you might try the answer in this thread.
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2283045
sinc

PostPosted: Tue 19 Feb 2019, 12:07    Post subject:  

These are great ideas. Thanks Wiak and Dancytron!! I look forward to trying these out this evening.

Dancytron, i tried the links in the thread you mentioned and they were all old and did not work BUT i learned the terminology of what I wanted; I was looking for a preloader. So I searched synaptic and there was a program called preload and I am trying it out. We'll see how it works.

I can tell you though, its not my imagination, the first time i load chromium it takes 8 seconds, the second time it happens instantly. i'll report back about preload but I like the description of it.

Last edited by sinc on Tue 26 Feb 2019, 16:45; edited 1 time in total
sinc

PostPosted: Mon 25 Feb 2019, 21:04    Post subject:  

Im sorry for not knowing how, Ive tried but can you tell me a simple script to open Chrome & Close chrome during boot. The 8 second delay is not fixed with the preload application so far on first use.

also, i purchased an AMD R7 240 and my understanding is that this is a dual screen monitorbut I cant make it work dual screen. Ive installed the package amdgpu but its still doesnt seem to be working.

am i missing something?

thanks so much.

Last edited by sinc on Tue 26 Feb 2019, 16:45; edited 1 time in total
sinc

PostPosted: Mon 25 Feb 2019, 22:46    Post subject:  

Also, can you tell me how to set a password a startup so it requires a password to logon?
fredx181

PostPosted: Tue 26 Feb 2019, 15:27    Post subject:  

Hi sinc

Quote:
Im sorry for not knowing how, Ive tried but can you tell me a simple script to open Chrome & Close chrome during boot. The 8 second delay is not fixed with the preload application so fart on first use.

Create a file in /root/Startup, name it, let's say, chrome-autostart
Open with texteditor, and paste this inside (you may want to edit the google-chrome commandline):
Code:
#!/bin/bash

google-chrome-stable --no-sandbox --test-type

Make it executable:
Code:
chmod + /root/Startup/chrome-autostart

And next time login google-chrome should start.

Quote:
Also, can you tell me how to set a password a startup so it requires a password to logon?

You need to to disable auto-login by editing '/etc/systemd/system/graphical.target.wants/getty@tty1.service' , e.g. with leafpad :
Code:
leafpad '/etc/systemd/system/graphical.target.wants/getty@tty1.service'

Find the line:
Code:
ExecStart=-/sbin/agetty -a root --noclear %I 38400

And remove the -a root, so becomes this:
Code:
ExecStart=-/sbin/agetty --noclear %I 38400

EDIT:
To change root's password (default is root, type in in terminal:
Code:
passwd root

Also you may want to install a login manager, e.g. slim or lightdm

Your other question about amdgpu I cannot answer.

Good luck, Fred

sinc

PostPosted: Tue 26 Feb 2019, 16:44    Post subject:  

thanks so much fred for your response. can you tell me the next line of code that will close chrome as well?

i dont necessarily want it to remain open, i just want it to have been previously opened and loaded into ram. bc the first time it opens it takes so long but the second time it opens immediately.

so essentially during start-up i'd like the program to open, load into ram, and close so that when I want to open it, it will be quicker. i dont mind if it slows down the boot process a little bit. honestly i've havent brought this up yet but the boot process takes a while on my system anyways. For some reason it takes a long time (well, multiple seconds) for X to start. When i'm booting i sit and look at a blank screen for a bit before it comes up ready to use.

thanks for the info about how to startup with a password. im trying to make this my main OS (i really like it) but need to have that startup security on there.
fredx181

PostPosted: Tue 26 Feb 2019, 17:56    Post subject:  

Hi sinc, ah, yes, forgot that you want it closed directly, a bit experimental, but this should do for the script in /root/Startup:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

google-chrome-stable --no-sandbox --test-type &
sleep 10
kill $!

To explain: the "&" at the end of the chrome command makes it run in the background, then give it some time (sleep 10), this will happen during the Cinnamon startup, so probably you won't notice chrome opened , maybe increase the sleep time to e.g. 20, to actually see it opened (and closed).
The kill $! kills the last process that's running in the background (which is chrome)

Fred

quantumbox

PostPosted: Wed 27 Feb 2019, 19:25    Post subject:  

sinc wrote:
thanks so much fred for your response. can you tell me the next line of code that will close chrome as well?

i dont necessarily want it to remain open, i just want it to have been previously opened and loaded into ram. bc the first time it opens it takes so long but the second time it opens immediately.

so essentially during start-up i'd like the program to open, load into ram, and close so that when I want to open it, it will be quicker. i dont mind if it slows down the boot process a little bit. honestly i've havent brought this up yet but the boot process takes a while on my system anyways. For some reason it takes a long time (well, multiple seconds) for X to start. When i'm booting i sit and look at a blank screen for a bit before it comes up ready to use.

thanks for the info about how to startup with a password. im trying to make this my main OS (i really like it) but need to have that startup security on there.

If you run cinnamon version you can simply add startup application from gui setting, just add following command

google-chrome --no-sandbox --no-startup-window --password-store=basic

--password-store=basic to disable keyring that asking password on first run
Screenshot from 2019-02-28 07-27-06.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  Screenshot from 2019-02-28 07-27-06.png 
Filesize  48.69 KB 
Downloaded  39 Time(s) 
keniv

PostPosted: Thu 28 Feb 2019, 12:49    Post subject:  

Hi Fred,
I tried to install VLC using synaptic. The download and install seemed to go OK, however, it did not launch from Menu>Multimedia>VLC media player.
Below is the output I get when I try and launch from a terminal.
Code:
root@live:~# vlc
VLC is not supposed to be run as root. Sorry.
If you need to use real-time priorities and/or privileged TCP ports
you can use vlc-wrapper (make sure it is Set-UID root and
cannot be run by non-trusted users first).
root@live:~#

I have seen comments made about programs that refuse to run as root before on other threads but don't know what to do to fix it. I don't know how to use the vlc-wrapper. Can you point me in the right direction to get VLC to run as root.

Regards,

Ken.
backi

PostPosted: Thu 28 Feb 2019, 12:58    Post subject:  

HI keniv !

Maybe try this little Script

#!/bin/sh
sed -i 's/geteuid/getppid/' /usr/bin/vlc
vlc

save it as "vlc-as-root"
make it executable .......click on it after installing Vlc .....

probably after executing Script and saving Session ----Vlc should work from now on as usual .
Please report back if it worked ......
sinc

PostPosted: Thu 28 Feb 2019, 14:53    Post subject:  

Fred, thank you so much for your script. It did work as expected. Ultimately I ended up using quantumbox's solution which just seems a little cleaner. With the script for launch and close I would see chrome show on the taskbar and then disappear as X is starting. I tried reducing the time limit but then chrome didnt seem to get started and it did not reduce the startup time for chrome and thereby stopping its intended function. quantums solution seems to be working nicely.

thanks for telling me how to setup the password. i got the working. i tried to install lightdm from synaptic but it did not work. i didnt have time to play around with it trying to get it to work, but after the install it didnt work.

thanks so much.

if anyone else reads this and can help me get my dual monitor situation working i'd love the help!!!

thanks again.
keniv

PostPosted: Thu 28 Feb 2019, 15:53    Post subject:  

Hello backi,

Quote:
Maybe try this little Script

Thanks for the script. It worked without a reboot and after reboot. I've kept it on my machine as presumably it could be adapted to any other program that will not run as root. Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

Ken.
fredx181

PostPosted: Thu 28 Feb 2019, 16:08    Post subject:  

sinc wrote:
thanks for telling me how to setup the password. i got the working. i tried to install lightdm from synaptic but it did not work

Any reason you want to use lightdm ? (login in as root may require some special tweaking of lightdm configuration)
Simply login in from console is not what you want ?
(login-manager is mostly useful for multiple user setup, do you need that ?)
Btw, maybe better use slim as login manager, it is more user-friendly IMHO.

Fred

Page 49 of 56 [839 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, ..., 54, 55, 56 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: