BionicDog (updated: 2018-06-04)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
PeteAir

#811 Post by PeteAir »

wiak, I thought it was odd too. The symlink must have got deleted with a program uninstall. I took out firefox, thunderbird, and the email that came in dog. Installed vivaldi deb and it works very well along with palemoon. Overall BionicDog64 is the best of both worlds ubuntu for system/program updates and with a frugal install, no messing with win10 partitions.

pete

dcung

Startup Script - to start firefox on 2nd monitor.

#812 Post by dcung »

Hi all,
I dedicated a laptop (BionicDog64) with external monitor (TV).
How do I startup Firefox browser on the external monitor (TV) automatically?
If I put in Startup dir, it starts on the laptop monitor. Then I drag it across.
So, I'm after a sample script to put in Startup for this purpose.
Something equivalent to start maximized (in MS Windows) on 2nd monitor (TV). Thanks.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=116420

mouldy

#813 Post by mouldy »

Finally got around to trying this dog. 32bit one with firmware. I rather like it and its nice having apt-get in a Puppy-like system.

But it was bit hassle to get online. It only has Peasy Wifi and no ppp. My only way of connecting is tethering to a 3G cell phone. I either need ppp and pppconfig or connman with oFono plugin.

So to get going I tethered LxPup to cell phone, then created a hotspot. Connected Dog to that hotspot with Peasy and used apt-get to install ppp and pppconfig. Ppp seemed to add wvdial for some reason. But hey the more the merrier, since it had wvdial, added gnome-ppp. Anyway it now can tether.

And believe it or not apparently there are still one million people in USA connecting through dialup. They need it too. Yea can be a problem getting broadband in rural areas. Thank you clueless politicians. Only a guess, but imagine those with only dialup mostly use it with an email client for text emails??? Dialup is pretty unusable for much surfing unless its some non profit site with static html like in the old days.

But friendly suggestion that you either include ppp and pppconfig or else make them available as a complete package with necessary dependencies for those needing them. Pretty small but painful to try and do manually piecemeal. Tethering at bare minimum, either requires ppp or as an alternative, connman with oFono plugin which has its own stack so no need for ppp. I have played some with oFono but without a small tool called cmcc, have been unable to get it working. cmcc was only available in some now deprecated ubuntu only package that included all three necessary bits. Just not lot good clear info on using connman with oFono for the actual low end user. Least not using it without cmcc.

rufwoof

#814 Post by rufwoof »

mouldy wrote:And believe it or not apparently there are still one million people in USA connecting through dialup.
SDF, for instance (who have over 50,000 dialup numbers spread across the US/Canada), charge around $7/month for dialup ssh access, add that on top of perhaps $25/month for a unlimited calling plan and the 'sacrifice' is perhaps just bandwidth/speed (similar cost to broadband). You can do a lot with just ssh/textual, Unix after all is based upon everything is a text file. ssh redditbox.us for instance (you can read but not post with that ... but there are equivalents that cater for both reading and posting). Text based Google searches, Twitter ...etc. then there's mail lists, bboards (that more usually are void of the crap/idiots and instead are much more friendly/helpful). With a reasonable text user interface you're mostly foregoing the multimedia web page https (that google fundamentally owns) 'experience' - that often are unwanted adverts. For the multimedia that you do want to view/see then they can still be downloaded/viewed if desired, but on a on-demand basis rather than it all being thrown at you, wanted or not.

Even with high speed/bandwidth mostly I just use X in order to use chrome and often where I could just use my phone to do the same easier/quicker, but with a smaller (uncomfortable) display. Much of my other online activities are via text user interface, without all the other advert blitz. But yes for the younger generation multimedia tends to be the magnet (as a family we get through around 30GB/day of downloads).

Anther factor is its less addictive. Many might get towards the end of their life and regret having missed so much of real world experiences, instead of wishing they'd spent even more time staring at their phone. Sometimes at home I look around at my kids and their friends all silently staring at their phones, and where they even message each other from across the room rather than look up and talk directly to each other.
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

mouldy

#815 Post by mouldy »

rufwoof wrote:Sometimes at home I look around at my kids and their friends all silently staring at their phones, and where they even message each other from across the room rather than look up and talk directly to each other.
I am old man that didnt have kids. Not used to being around them. Got invited to Xmas dinner by son of now deceased couple I was friends with. House full of young people. All staring at their cell phones. It was kinda surreal.

I have a cell phone, rarely make calls and its rudimentary browser so old it doesnt really work. Mostly cause its cheapest internet as this prepaid cell deal allows tethering. I ditched my landline some years ago, it had gotten up to $25 a month for basic local account. Dialup was escalating in price as more and more jumped ship so had just gotten notice it would be $14 a month. I switched to prepaid cell hotspot for internet plus a flip phone for voice. This was about same price per month for 4GB data plus voice as I was paying for landline plus dialup. Dialup had become super annoying with modern websites, not really the pics so much as all the scripts. The old static html sites work just well now on dialup as they did twenty years ago. Same if you use an email client and pop3.

However after losing my flip phone last fall, got to looking at what was available. found a prepaid cell service reseller called Red Pocket. They were having sale late November, early December on prepaid 360 day plan. Unlimited voice, unlimited text, 10GB data per 30 days. AND unlike many, they didnt care if you tethered the phone to computer. Said so on their website. Worked out to $23 a month, less than I paid for basic landline service. They sent me a SIM and I bought a used 3G Samsung Eternity with BADA operating system about 8 year old off ebay. Pristine condition for like $15. I still prefer flip phone to carry in my pocket, but this has proven reliable and easy to tether, doesnt overheat like some if you leave them plugged in to powered usb port for tethering.

I thought texting was kinda stupid when you could just call, but found out one can text to an email account. Can also send text to a phone from an email. So if you are out of data for the month.... but have unlimited texting.... Anyway this Samsung has the touch screen keyboard lot easier to text than the old alpha numeric traditional phone keyboard on the flip phone where every key does three things.

mikeslr

#816 Post by mikeslr »

In a way I was prepared for the surreal social system of the current generation, having read "City", a book by Clifford Simak. It was published in 1952 and I first read it in the late '50s, early '60s. Of course, he got the details wrong. The term "internet" wasn't used -- it didn't exist at that time. IIRC, Simak's analog was based on Ham Radio.

City wasn't exactly either a Sci-fi or fantasy novel. Like the 'Old Testament' it was a collection of short stories following a family --and some others-- thru the generations. It's an interesting read. Warning -- the following is a spoiler. You might want to skip it and hunt down a copy of the book on Amazon (used for about $5) or perhaps it's already in the public domain.

Reliance on inter-personal communications through technology while simultaneously avoiding the sharing of personal space ultimately results in species-wide extreme agoraphobia. With the exception of a few atavists, the human race goes extinct. The stories are told by descendants of dogs which have been modified to possess the power of speech; their lack of manual dexterity overcome by self-perpetuating robots. A fitting book for all Puppy aficionados.

mouldy

#817 Post by mouldy »

There are handful of Clifford Simak books public domain. But City isnt one of them. Several scammy places offering it "free" if you "register". Pay the man the $5 from legit place.

Here are the public domain ones: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search ... ford+Simak

proebler

#818 Post by proebler »

mikeslr wrote:In a way I was prepared for the surreal social system of the current generation, having read "City", a book by Clifford Simak. It was published in 1952 and I first read it in the late '50s, early '60s. Of course, he got the details wrong. The term "internet" wasn't used -- it didn't exist at that time. IIRC, Simak's analog was based on Ham Radio.

City wasn't exactly either a Sci-fi or fantasy novel. Like the 'Old Testament' it was a collection of short stories following a family --and some others-- thru the generations. It's an interesting read. Warning -- the following is a spoiler. You might want to skip it and hunt down a copy of the book on Amazon (used for about $5) or perhaps it's already in the public domain.

Reliance on inter-personal communications through technology while simultaneously avoiding the sharing of personal space ultimately results in species-wide extreme agoraphobia. With the exception of a few atavists, the human race goes extinct. The stories are told by descendants of dogs which have been modified to possess the power of speech; their lack of manual dexterity overcome by self-perpetuating robots. A fitting book for all Puppy aficionados.
Thanks mikesir for the reference
I too have read 'City' a long time ago, never forgot the talking dogs, but lost who wrote the stories and the title of the book.
The library here in TAS has a copy, I placed it on hold and so will be able to read it again, refresh the memory and find out whether the fascination is still there for this old Puppy aficionado.

mouldy

#819 Post by mouldy »

I must be getting senile. That wvdial suddenly appearing was bothering me, it shouldnt install with ppp.

Trick is I had first downloaded the version without firmware first. It definitely doesnt have wvdial nor ppp. But seems the version with firmware does. Why apt-get didnt tell me I already had the latest version ppp, dont really know.

So apologies to whomever it may concern. My mistake.

futuretom

cinnamon

#820 Post by futuretom »

I'm running the cinnamon version and I'm having a hard time replacing nouveau with nvidia. I noticed that sessionctl says I'm logged in to a tty session. Shouldn't that be an X11 session? And would this be interfering with my attempt to install nvidia drivers?

dancytron

#821 Post by dancytron »

Fred, don't know if you saw it, but this looks like a dog question.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 9185d5831a

fredx181

#822 Post by fredx181 »

Yes, also posted in the beginners/help section, answered there but I'm not sure what's exactly the issue.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 44#1031544

Fred

magerlab

connect android phone to Bionic Dog

#823 Post by magerlab »

I've recently revived my old Asus 1001px netbook by installing BionicDog and it seems to work as expected. The only thing I can miss is connect my android phone. Is there a way to do as in other puppies ?

wiak

Re: connect android phone to Bionic Dog

#824 Post by wiak »

magerlab wrote:I've recently revived my old Asus 1001px netbook by installing BionicDog and it seems to work as expected. The only thing I can miss is connect my android phone. Is there a way to do as in other puppies ?
I have done this long ago using MTP but alas forget the details. It was flaky back then but probably fine nowadays. Biggest problem when googling this is the provided 'answers' tend to expect you to have full gnome desktop or similar, which really isn't necessary. Maybe the following link will help (tho maybe its a bit old):

https://askubuntu.com/questions/854332/ ... x-with-usb

wiak

magerlab

#825 Post by magerlab »

I've managed to connect my phone using camphonetab. So for now BionicDog fits the netbook very well. I want to transfer the casper folder with changes to to another laptop which has grub2. Are there any instructions on what one have to put into Grub2 to boot bionicdog without installing grub4dos?

wiak

#826 Post by wiak »

magerlab wrote:I've managed to connect my phone using camphonetab. So for now BionicDog fits the netbook very well. I want to transfer the casper folder with changes to to another laptop which has grub2. Are there any instructions on what one have to put into Grub2 to boot bionicdog without installing grub4dos?
The following is just an example extract from grub.cfg of what I use for booting using grub2 from the second partition of my harddrive (/dev/sda2). For this example I have casper directory installed inside /bionicdog64 directory of that /dev/sda2 partition:

Code: Select all

menuentry 'BionicDog64 on /dev/sda2' {
    set root='hd0,msdos2'
    linux /bionicdog64/casper/vmlinuz from=/bionicdog64/ noauto changes=EXIT:/bionicdog64/casper
    initrd /bionicdog64/casper/initrd1.xz
}
wiak

fredx181

#827 Post by fredx181 »

Thanks wiak for answering, btw, I could never understand what means the "msdos2" at the "set root=..."
Anyway, this should work also with grub2 for sda2 (similar as grub4dos, but with the difference that for grub4dos it should be (hd0,1) for the second partition (sda2), confusing.... :roll: )

set root=(hd0,2)
Fred

gabtech

Bionicdog amd64 wifi drivers

#828 Post by gabtech »

I just downloaded Bionicdog and testing it on my lenovo X140e processor AMD ,broadcom wifi device. Peasy wifi can't see my wifi connection, huawei usb 3g modem.

stemsee

Re: Bionicdog amd64 wifi drivers

#829 Post by stemsee »

gabtech wrote:I just downloaded Bionicdog and testing it on my lenovo X140e processor AMD ,broadcom wifi device. Peasy wifi can't see my wifi connection, huawei usb 3g modem.
Install/load Wifi-TrayNet (developed on BionicDog)

or cli

ifconfig usb0 up
wpa_supplicant -Dwext -iusb0 -c/path/to/apconfig -B
busybox udhcpc
echo "nameserver 8.8.8.8" >/etc/resolv.conf

gabtech

#830 Post by gabtech »

@stemsee

Thanks buddie.