Puppy is out of date ...BADLY

Using applications, configuring, problems
greengeek

#91 Post by greengeek »

mikeb wrote:Sheffield steel butter knife is the most amazing tool ever...there is no modern equivalent.....
Yeah, marvellous stuff that Sheffield steel. Most of my family came from (or is still living in...) Sheffield. My mum and Dad met at Sheffield Twist Drill.
(Not off topic at all - just picking up on your geographically focused comment...)
8)

april

#92 Post by april »

nic007 wrote:
Burn_IT wrote:How was selecting my post and copying it before replying quicker than just replying??
I don't have to copy your post, it's done automatically with the reply with quote function. If you are going to reply without quoting the full post chances are excellent that your reply is going to take longer as you probably have to name the poster(s) you are replying to and also refer to something specific in his or a post that you want to reply to. This may also be inconvenient for other posters following your interaction with another poster as they may have to go search the original post to see what was posted initially. I agree with your view if the full quote becomes too "heavy" (ie. comprises of many posters' quotes), that irritates me as well.
Well I think its meant as a starting point to save typing. Just select and delete what you don't want to reply to and just reply to whats left.
" If you are going to reply without quoting the full post chances are excellent that your reply is going to take longer "

But what has this to do with puppy being out of date?

april

#93 Post by april »

mikeb wrote:I thought I was more on topic than usual :D

I never think I am important enough to be so fully quoted...I feel sort of honoured.
Busy thread this one.....
Compilers...well another source of largely irrelevant changes...anyone who has had to write code knows more time is spent keeping up with moving goalposts than with actually writing creative software.

We got lost on our bikes today.... half hour journey took 1 and a half....and it was wet....they don't believe in road signs round here as apparently world war two is still in full swing...now some things do need to be put safely in the past. :)

Sheffield steel butter knife is the most amazing tool ever...there is no modern equivalent.....

Time to rudd...
mike
Mostly Pathetic-you need help

but I do agree with the moving goalposts observation . Keeping up to date is necessary if you don't want to be left behind in any discipline

darry19662018

#94 Post by darry19662018 »

First off it is a shame some here seem to think just because a Pup is based off a particular Buntoo that it is out of date when that particular Buntoo is past it's use by. Those Pups are only based on those packages in the building of that Pup not based on that version which is a very important fact in other words Ubuntu or whatever the host distro is does not govern the life of a Puppy.

I thought it was shame Tallboy couldn't consider Precise or Tahr because he thought they were no longer supported when later more recent releases have been made for them.

If your worried about using and older Pup and want to update then use a more modern one and if the newer kernel doesn't work use the excellent change-kernels app. I'm running Bionic with Sailors Slacko 5.7's kernel - working well so far.

nic007

#95 Post by nic007 »

"I thought I was more on topic than usual"

I was actually referring to my own waywardness. I see this has already irritated April which is always a bonus. :wink:

april

#96 Post by april »

nic007 wrote:"I thought I was more on topic than usual"

I was actually referring to my own waywardness. I see this has already irritated April which is always a bonus. :wink:
Appologies, that was not apparent from what you wrote.

You have so much to contribute but it can be difficult getting it from you.

Moat

#97 Post by Moat »

april wrote:Mostly Pathetic-you need help :D
Fixed.

Mikeb's ramblings are always fun to read, and most often contain unusually insightful, valuable nuggets of on-topic information. Glad he's back posting!

Bob

mikeb

#98 Post by mikeb »

Ah...having been absent for some time I was unaware that April was a current forum troll here...I will remember to ignore in future.
Of course I need help...is that not what a community is for?? :D

Ok just for the paranoid..... You know those annoying eCapchas...the pictorial ones where road signs are so common. Well I was informed they are connected to Google. Is it a small coincidence that they no longer work on even a recent Firefox on a PC. Since they irritate anyway and more to the point are becoming increasingly common is this just another Chrome/Google only web move.
Updates are not necessarily there to make technical improvements which I suppose is my ongoing topic theme here...there are many alternative agendas floating around especially where large amounts of money are involved.
Software is an easy way to make bucketloads with very little ...has been since computer buyers stopped writing their own software.

Oh government job site (I need a better one) is updating...guess what, it works not on same recent firefox/pc...not that such a breakage would affect anyone's income.....

If there is a reason for puppy and this forum its to perhaps help us to stop being herded like sheep....

hmm.....that field looks tasty....I will leap the fence....

curses it was hiding a cliff and large fall............whee

mike and his wheely bin studio...

musher0

#99 Post by musher0 »

mikeb wrote:...
hmm.....that field looks tasty....I will leap the fence....
The old mikeb helped me a lot way back when. Now that he's "leaped the
fence" (by his own admission, see his post above!) :twisted:, I totally agree
with April: the man needs help -- but of the psychiatric kind!!! :lol:
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

mfb

#100 Post by mfb »

I'm another Mike B
Attachments
image-0.jpg
(107.04 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
image-1.jpg
(119.71 KiB) Downloaded 146 times

Colonel Panic

#101 Post by Colonel Panic »

mikeb wrote:Ok just for the paranoid..... You know those annoying eCapchas...the pictorial ones where road signs are so common. Well I was informed they are connected to Google. Is it a small coincidence that they no longer work on even a recent Firefox on a PC. Since they irritate anyway and more to the point are becoming increasingly common is this just another Chrome/Google only web move.
Thanks for that Mike. I dislike intensely having to deal with Captchas and it's good to know that it's a / not just me and b / not my fault that I always seem to get them wrong.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

mikeb

#102 Post by mikeb »

eCapchas A quick search suggests it may have something to do with tracking blocking...seems a bit logical since that is probably the main function. For spam avoidance a simple numeric gif does perfectly well.
mike

Burn_IT

#103 Post by Burn_IT »

I find it very illogical that they actually need them in the first place - especially Google.
They seem to be able to detect who I am perfectly well when they want to send me personalised spam - sorry emails.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

musher0

#104 Post by musher0 »

@April:

now would be a good time to open a truly moderated Puppy forum for English
speakers, don't you think?

Maybe augras could be of help, with his new ElkArte Puppy forum. PM him?
Maybe he'd open an English section on his site, or help you with opening one.
I could help with translating messages between you and him if need be.

Or ask Flash to erase this thread that's now going nowhere. As the OP of this
thread, it's your privilege.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

mfb

#105 Post by mfb »

Reserved for damning criticism of much else and this:
now would be a good time to open a truly moderated Puppy forum for English speakers, don't you think?
Edit (1)

Here within the same 24 hour time frame are two more classics, also from musher0:
And please, please, please, do not believe me. (The nerve you have...)
Or everybody here forgot their good manners all at the same time? Hey, if you don't want me to share my experience with you, some people elsewhere will be glad to take it in.
Flash has just banned Forum member, rufwoof, on the basis of a single incident. If musher0 cannot reform and become reasonable - I can expand upon musher0's deception above and provide Flash, at least, with many more major reasons why he, musher0, should get the same treatment.

Edit (2)

On the next page musher0 added:
I certainly don't give a "FireFox" about what mfb thinks of me, but I do thank him for mirroring my sentences
I'll be surprised if I cannot accurately foretell two of his imminent mistakes.

However, if Flash doesn't see the light and fire him (or me), I'll add more quotes and insights (or is it incites in North America) within the week.
Last edited by mfb on Wed 16 May 2018, 16:22, edited 2 times in total.

mikeb

#106 Post by mikeb »

I find threads like this very revealing plus usually contain useful snippets of information and clues.

Nothing in the world of software can exist in total isolation after all...

I think the title is the problem...vague and inflammatory.

mike

april

#107 Post by april »

Fortunately most people here don't seem to give a FF what you think .
Bet that will inflame some!
Especially your pen-names!
Last edited by april on Tue 15 May 2018, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.

Burn_IT

#108 Post by Burn_IT »

Please people stop the personal attacks on here.

I have been guilty of falling into that trap in the past.
If you want to have such a diatribe, please do it via private means and not on a public forum.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

darry19662018

#109 Post by darry19662018 »

april wrote:Fortunately most people here don't seem to give a FF what you think .
Bet that will inflame some!
A grossly untrue statement - Don't mind the humour one bit and Mikeb always has had something worthwhile to impart snd it helped to relieve the fact this kind of thread has been brought so many times before. Its has been sufficiently answered.

april

#110 Post by april »

Burn_IT wrote:Please people stop the personal attacks on here.

I have been guilty of falling into that trap in the past.
If you want to have such a diatribe, please do it via private means and not on a public forum.
Rubbish ...can't have any fun in private
You have been having a personal go at me for years....just kidding.