Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 18 Oct 2018, 16:28
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
UPup Bionic Beaver (UPupBB) 18.05 (May 2018)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 4 of 24 [358 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 22, 23, 24 Next
festus

PostPosted: Sun 06 May 2018, 13:38    Post subject: vlc_3.0.1_nodeps-bionic-i686
Subject description: for UPup bionic_beaver (all deps included)

I put together this "vlc_3.0.1_nodeps-bionic-i686.pet" for UPup bionic_beaver (upupbb) 18.05.

If anyone is interested, look here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=990946#990946

bliss,
festus
peebee

PostPosted: Sun 06 May 2018, 14:06    Post subject:  

Thunderbird.....
Screenshot.png
 Description   
 Filesize   181.07 KB
 Viewed   1164 Time(s)

Screenshot.png

peebee

PostPosted: Sun 06 May 2018, 14:11    Post subject:  

nilsonmorales wrote:
/usr/local/bin/defaultterminal dont have a default icon

OscarTalks wrote:
pupX which has no menu icon at all. Transmission is not showing the usual one.

Thanks both - all fixed for delta #1

ITSMERSH

PostPosted: Sun 06 May 2018, 18:45    Post subject:  

Hi.

Since libpipeline is placed into the devx, I made again a test on the use of my gprs usb modem. Just installed the libpipeline1_1.5.0-1_i386.deb and plugged in the gprs usb modem. No success!

The gprs usb modem still appears as sr1 and is not detected by rerwin's pgprs connect program. After installing the packages

usb-modeswitch_2.5.2+repack0-2ubuntu1_i386.deb
usb-modeswitch-data_20170806-2_all.deb

everything went fine. Gprs usb modem detected and immediately online after entering the APN and choosing a phone number from the defaults.

proebler

PostPosted: Mon 07 May 2018, 03:31    Post subject:  

peebee,
when you prepare for delta #1, can you also fix the still existing issue with pmount ?
Quote:
Not all seems well with pmount.
When it is used to mount a partition or USB drive, then used to unmount it, the ROX filer window clears but the (cleared) window remains open.
Subsequently using pmount again on the same drive opens an empty filer window.
“Show location” in pmount also brings up an empty filer window.
Restarting the graphical server will ‘remedy’ the situation.

see
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=987631#987631
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=987231#987231

regards
proebler
peebee

PostPosted: Mon 07 May 2018, 04:37    Post subject:  

bca2010b2b233d17f3b1fe8832489ca0 upupbb-18.05+1.iso

{delta}

Sorry - didn't catch the pmount issue -> delta +2

Last edited by peebee on Mon 14 May 2018, 05:38; edited 1 time in total
peebee

PostPosted: Mon 07 May 2018, 06:51    Post subject:  

proebler wrote:
can you also fix the still existing issue with pmount ?

Later....
Clicking the rox "rescan" button refreshes the blank window after the 2nd mount....

Whether this is a bug or a "feature" I'm not sure - can't see any recent changes to pmount to explain it.....do other pups behave differently?

Later still....
Both XenialPup and slack-6.9.9.9 exhibit the same behaviour....

Last edited by peebee on Mon 07 May 2018, 11:21; edited 1 time in total
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 07 May 2018, 07:49    Post subject:  

Hiya, peebee.

Thought I'd better have a look at this, since it's the new LTS release.

Just done a fresh frugal install to a sub-directory in one of my remote data partitions. Created an ext3 save-file (I prefer these nowadays, since they're a lot simpler to back-up.)

-----------------------------------------------

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ dual-core
RAM: 3 GB DDR1 @ 400 MHz
Storage: (internal) WD 500 GB Caviar 'Blue'
KingSpec 32 GB PATA/IDE
(external) 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' desktop drive
Graphics: On-board ATI Radeon Xpress 200G

---------------------------------------------

Set everything up, created the save-file and re-booted. So far installed Fred's FF-Quantum portable (I've made up a .pet for this, which includes all my bookmarks/settings, etc, so it's literally click-to-install and instantly ready to go); sound working fine, NetFlix playing. Sweet. Up-dated the PPM and installed Thunderbird. Changed cursor theme to my favourite 'Polar Cursors'. All tickety-boo so far.

One small problem with pMount (yes, another one I'm afraid!). I've set the pMount window to have the tabs for categories, instead of all in one window. Strangely, the external USB HDD is not showing up under the 'usbdrv' tab.....it's showing-up under 'optical'? Which probably explains why it wasn't showing in the main, single window.....

That minor niggle aside, a very good effort, mate. Well done! All I have to do now is a shed-load of sym-linking for all the 'common' apps I run from remote partitions.....but davids45 and I have made up custom .pets for those, too. (Yep; .pets full of nothing but sym-links. It does work!)

So far; I'm impressed. Nice one.

Mike. Wink

tlchost

PostPosted: Mon 07 May 2018, 13:18    Post subject: sfs files  

where's a good site to find .sfs files that will work with Bionic? I have many I used with tahr...not sure which ones, if any, will play with Bionic. Thanks in advance.
tlchost

PostPosted: Mon 07 May 2018, 13:41    Post subject: bluetooth  

what do I need to do to get bluetooth working on 18.05?
mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 07 May 2018, 15:43    Post subject: Re: sfs files  

tlchost wrote:
where's a good site to find .sfs files that will work with Bionic? I have many I used with tahr...not sure which ones, if any, will play with Bionic. Thanks in advance.

Check the Additional Software Section. I found very few SFSes that I used in Xenialpup or Tahrpup which didn't work under upupbb. But the nice thing about SFSes is that you loose nothing but time by loading them and seeing if they work. Before unloading those which don't, use ldd (on right-click menu from binary or menu>Utility>Listdd list dynamic dependencies) to see if some library is missing.

Recommend loading festus' qt4 sfs from here, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=990813#990813. Qt5's you can obtain via PPM.

miikesLr
tlchost

PostPosted: Mon 07 May 2018, 16:34    Post subject: Re: sfs files  

mikeslr wrote:

Check the Additional Software Section. I found very few SFSes that I used in Xenialpup or Tahrpup which didn't work under upupbb. But the nice thing about SFSes is that you loose nothing but time by loading them and seeing if they work. Before unloading those which don't, use ldd (on right-click menu from binary or menu>Utility>Listdd list dynamic dependencies) to see if some library is missing.

Would be nice to have a list of ones that did work. As they are discovered, I'd be happy to maintain a list with the name, description and download on
http://puppylinux.us
mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 07 May 2018, 19:47    Post subject:  

Well, tlchost, I tried to get rid of you with a generality. Laughing Since that didn't work, I'll leave you to unscramble this puzzle. Rolling Eyes

I explore Puppies and Dogs I think may be interesting and keep several on Grub4dos' menu.lst. The oldest on the menu.lst are wary and Carolina-Vanguard. I use SFSes when available, and build them when not. Sometimes I download an application thinking “someday I'll want this” and rarely or never do. As you might guess, I've accumulated a lot.

Frankly, I prefer “External Program Folders” – applications which run from an external folder. These are usually just packages in the form of tar.gz or .deb which can be decompressed and their binaries symlinked to the operating system. I mention these because if one of my applications will run in that manner, an SFS could be used, if you can find it.

At any rate, I booted into upupbionic and attempted to load and run likely SFSes (those for Tahrpup or Xenialpup) and run Program Folders by clicking their respective executables. General impression. Bionic Beaver is reasonably accommodating in its use of applications not built for it specifically. Caution, with most of these, I just checked if it would open. I did not test for full functionality which would require the presence of all libs and python modules.

I'll leave it to someone else to hunt up where any of the following came from. The following are my notes:

qt-5.2.1-i386.sfs – maybe from Xenial?
Openoffice-4.1.5.sfs – my build, but the 4.1.2 by musher0 should work
Any LibreOffice should also work -- untested
qt-4.8.8_bionic-18.05.sfs – from festus
simplescreenrecorder_bionic32-0.3.8.sfs – my build?
Palemoon.sfs – came with ISO
Iron-63.0.3300.0-i386.sfs – expect other "google chrome & clones" to work
gimp-2.7.2 – Tested, but I use portable-gimp which employs a gimp 2.8.16 sfs.
Google-earth-pro-7.1.8.3036_i386.sfs
openshot32-stretch-1.4.3.sfs – I may have built this. I don't recall doing that; but I can't find a reference to it on the Forum.

I use portable-wine 3 – which uses version2013's wine 3.3_v2.1 pet rebuilt as an SFS. I haven't had any difficulty running Windows programs with this build, if they ran under prior builds.

Applications run as “External Program Folders”:

Blender 2.7.6
Blue Griffon 1.7.2
Cinelerra
cool-reader – requires Qt4 libs
firefox 45 esr
firefox 52 esr
fredx181's firefox Quantum 59 portable
Foxit Reader 2.2.1825 – requires Qt5
Zekr Quaranic Project version 1.1.0
Light (firefox) 48
Master PDF Reader 3.6.0 – requires Qt4 libs
Min (web-browser) 1.7.1-1
OpenTaxSolver2017
opera 12.16
opera 41
peazip 5.9.0
QtWeb Browser 3.8.5
SeaMonkey 2.46
Tixati-2.56
Gramps 3.2.0-1 -- this is a static build I found somewhere.
wire 2.12.2729 AppImage

None of the KDE sfses worked – missing libs. Not inclined to build them. The only one I might actually use is KDEnlive, and it does pretty much the same as openshot32-stretch. None of the flowblade SFSes work. Not inclined to build one, yet. I have functioning flowblades under other Puppies. I'll wait awhile to see how flowblade creates versions for Ubuntu Bionic and/or Debian-Stretch.

mikesLr
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 08 May 2018, 11:29    Post subject:  

Hiya, Mike.

Yowza..! Crikey, you do like trying stuff out, don'tcha? Laughing

Actually, I have to agree with you about Bionic being accommodating of stuff not specifically built for it. I've discovered, in the last 24 hrs (and 3 re-installs, 'cos I kept mucking things up..!), that this is very true.

I've actually kitted Bionic out with nearly all .pet and SFS packages.....despite this being a brand-new LTS release, with it's repos all newly set-up. Aside from the GIMP, Scribus, RecordMyDesktop, gkrellm and MPV, virtually everything else has come from my somewhat large collection of Puppy packages accumulated over the past few years. Some of which are years old.....like UCView, a webcam capture app; compiled & packaged by Jemimah, 8 years ago. Yet it runs perfectly in Bionic.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=52373

It's a nice 'replacement' for my usual app, GuvcView....and since it also makes use of the v4lc controls (like GuvcView), I can still control this expensive new c920 the way I really want to!

I had to resort to doing it like this because for many apps that I wanted to install from the PPM, despite the databases being updated, it kept on insisting that the necessary dependencies simply didn't exist. I've read a few folks saying the PPM isn't behaving itself, but y'know, I thing we've got to take this with a pinch of salt. It isn't all peebee's fault, or even Woof-CE's fault.....this thing was only officially released not much over a fortnight ago, and, all things considered, Peter's done a smashing job of it. It's light; it's fast; it's extremely responsive...

I don't normally go for releases this new.....even LTS versions. I like to let the dust settle for a few months, and allow time for it all to get a good 'shakedown'. Personally, I say this is as much Canonical's 'fault' as anyone's; it'll sort itself out eventually. It always does.

I've gone for a slightly different approach with Bionic. Ever since I figured out last year how to open Chrome tabs as separate windows (as an 'app', without actually opening the browser itself), I've run up several menu entries for a web-based approach to many things I do on a regular basis. Like playing around with GIFs (ezgif.com); their cloud computing servers have got a hell of a lot more 'grunt' than my old girl's got; I just upload, manipulate on-screen, then download the end result. They do all the heavy lifting.....and why not?

Oh, and,er.....about the video-editors? Openshot's become a staple of my 'work-flow'.....but the version in Bionic's repos has gone all Qt5, and gstreamer, etc, etc. It simply will not install.....a victim of the misbehaving PPM/Woof-CE/Canonical/whatever (and even a segmentation fault, despite being specifically compiled for Bionic!). Dozens of dependencies that just can't be found, etc. I gave up on it (I've got several other functioning versions, even in Lucid.....thanks to smil99), and gone with Cinelerra 5.1. Which I'm slowly getting the hang of; it's no better (or worse) than Openshot.....it's just rather different.

Works for me, though.

Mike. Wink

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 08 May 2018, 18:14    Post subject:  

Hiya, peebee.

Coupla questions for ya, if you don't mind...

1 ) How do I change the Menu title 'Applications' back to 'Menu'? /root/.jwmrc-tray no longer seems to have anything in it..!

2 ) How can I shut off the startup 'jingle'? Puppy's starting to get a bit too much like Windoze for my liking... Laughing

And, last (but not least):-

3 ) How can I reset things so that by scrolling on the desktop, it'll cycle through my workspaces again? I know a lot of you hate this 'feature', preferring the 'traditional' way of clicking on the pager to switch worktops, and there's been various threads as to how to stop it happening, but I'm not one of those people. I happen to like it, and find it actually speeds up my workflow. I'm aware of it all the time, I know it happens, therefore it never catches me by surprise... Is this controlled by JWM, or by ROX?

(I know MochiMoppel posted on a thread a couple of years ago about this, but I'm hanged if I can find it. Can't even remember what the thread was about...)

Apart from these minor 'niggles', mate, you've excelled yourself with this one. Well done.

Cheers.

Mike. Wink

Page 4 of 24 [358 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 22, 23, 24 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: