BionicPup32 (UPupBB) (27 June 2020)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
glene77is

#451 Post by glene77is »

Peabee,
Thanks for the hard work on UpupBB.
When I download a .ISO,
I "open" the .ISO, and do a copy/paste
to pull out the required files into the puppy home directory.
Then reboot that particular Puppy .
( of course, I have date-time-stamped backups before re-boot. )
Have been reading the Bash files you pull together
to support Ubuntu Puppy versions.
Very complex procedures.
You seem to get more organized every version
as I find items grouped differently.
It is all good.
I find a Mixture of bash, sh, ash, tcl. in the Puppy code.
Due to 'historical' considerations, and complexity of existing code,
I do not think that the Mixture of shells will ever go away.
I come from a career in Relational Database languages, and SQL,
all very structured and stable.
In bash, et al, I must be careful.
Linux programming takes a special kind of skill and mind-set.

Code: Select all

So ...   thank you for the great effort at presenting a U-puppy
Last edited by glene77is on Sun 03 Feb 2019, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Linux is more fun than a barrel of M$ monkeys :P
www.geocities.WS/glene77is
glene77is --- {^,^} --- electricity is shocking, Memphis, TN, USA.

Mike Walsh

Re: Boot / startup sounds

#452 Post by Mike Walsh »

rek769 wrote:Hey folks, any ideas on how to disable the startup tones? I've looked through Setup and First Run Settings to no avail. I'm sure it is something easy that I'm overlooking.
I have to confess, I actually quite like the idea of a start-up sound, yet never even considered it before I started using UpupBB. However, I wanted something a wee bit more melodic.....

Accordingly, I spent a couple of hours searching 'sound effect' sites on t'web.....and eventually settled for this:-

Startup Sound

(This plays straight off in Mozilla-based browsers. For some reason, you may need to start, stop, then start it a second time in Chromium-based browsers. It does play, though.)

Having found something I liked, I then modified peebee's script a little, to not only play the sound I'd chosen, but also to set the volume control to a suitably 'gentle' level at boot time...

#!/bin/sh
amixer -c 0 -- sset Master playback -45dB
mplayer /usr/share/audio/logon-1.mp3 &
The second line is a direct copy of peebee's script. The first line is what I use to set the volume before the sound plays, cobbled together courtesy of the amixer man page, and a question I asked here on the forum several months ago.

When you open

alsamixer
....in a terminal, the sound level is given in decibels (not a 'percentage'). Thus, that's what you need to use in the 'formula'. You just have to experiment to find out what dB 'level' is comfortable for you.

This now plays in every Pup at boot-time. :D

Mike. :wink:

rek769

Encrypted save file

#453 Post by rek769 »

Upup is working well on my wife's old Dell (Vostro 1510).
One issue that cropped up is that she uses an encrypted savefile which requires password entry at boot time.

In previous versions of Puppy that we've had on that computer (Tahr, most recently), an incorrect password entry simply resulted in being presented with another opportunity to enter the password until success was achieved.

With Upup, if the password is entered incorrectly we are given a screen which shows a dump of the last lines of bootinit.log (telling us that mounting the save file has failed). The system then pauses for 60 seconds and boots without savefile.

Is there any way to revert to having the opportunity to re-enter the password if entered incorrectly?

tallboy

#454 Post by tallboy »

Maybe a stupid question, peebee, does the latest delta include all the material from the previous deltas?
Or do I have to load all 24 in order? :shock:
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

Terry H

#455 Post by Terry H »

tallboy wrote:Maybe a stupid question, peebee, does the latest delta include all the material from the previous deltas?
Or do I have to load all 24 in order? :shock:
deltas are cumulative, so it includes all updates not included in original iso. You can update to the latest without having done any previous updates.

tallboy

#456 Post by tallboy »

Thank you, Terry H. :D
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

perdido

#457 Post by perdido »

FSlint duplicate file finder posted to its respective thread
Can be run from GUI or command line.
See this post
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 09#1015909

The sfs has all python deps built in, just load the sfs and run in bionic.
No devx needed.

Edit: It also includes the correct python dependencies to run the the latest bleachbit 2.0 that was compiled by festus

Last edited by perdido on Tue 29 Jan 2019, 03:01, edited 2 times in total.

peebee

#458 Post by peebee »

+25 - ubuntu updates
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

6502coder

#459 Post by 6502coder »

Posting this from a frugal install of "+25" to my Compaq Presario laptop. This is a 1.3 GHz Celeron M with 1 GB RAM, so it's near the bottom of the "minimum" hardware specs discussed earlier in this thread, but BionicPup is running just fine so far.

6502coder

#460 Post by 6502coder »

Edit 23 jan 2019: Never mind. It was due to a flash drive going bad.

As noted in the previous post, I'm running "+25". I'm having a problem with ROX not updating correctly when swapping flash drives in and out of a USB port.

1. I boot up Bionic Pup. I insert flash drive A into a USB port. I mount the drive by clicking on its desktop icon. A ROX window pops up showing the contents of the drive.

2. I close the ROX window, unmount the flash drive by clicking in the upper right corner of its desktop icon, and remove the drive.

3. HERE is where it goes wacky. I insert flash drive B into the same USB port. I click on its icon. A ROX window comes up, STILL showing the contents of flash drive A!

4. I open a terminal using the backquote key and type

rox -x .

This refreshes the ROX window which then shows the correct contents of flash drive B.

I previously reported encountering this same problem in DPup Stretch 7.5 RC3:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 39#1013039

the only difference being that this time I wasn't using a USB port expander, thus ruling that out as the cause. Also, as I reported in the DPup Stretch thread, I have not seen the problem occur in RC4 (yet).
Last edited by 6502coder on Wed 23 Jan 2019, 23:44, edited 1 time in total.

peebee

#461 Post by peebee »

6502coder wrote:3. HERE is where it goes wacky. I insert flash drive B into the same USB port. I click on its icon. A ROX window comes up, STILL showing the contents of flash drive A!
Hi 6502

Just tried this on a pristine frugal install of UPupBB.....

Afraid I don't see the problem you are seeing - have you changed Puppy Event Manager Settings in any way?

Can you try on a pristine frugal install and see if you still have the problem?

Thanks
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

B.K. Johnson

#462 Post by B.K. Johnson »

***D E L E T E D****
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

B.K. Johnson

#463 Post by B.K. Johnson »

I have been confounded for a while by the low setting of the volume control in the notification area (systray). I think I have found the reason. I now realize that it coincides with my switch from tahr-6.0.2 to 6.0.6. Like Mike Walsh, I had changed the boot sound. I had the systray volume display visible (unplanned) while playing with Mike's Startupsond when I saw the volume bars drop. I had the same result when I ran my script which sets amixer to -30db (Miks has -45db). So, it seems to me that the scripts need to reset amixer to its normal volume setting before exiting.
How do we do that?
This seems to work (percentage variable).

amixer set Master 75%
Mike, please confirm that this observation occurs also in upupbb.
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

6502coder

#464 Post by 6502coder »

@peebee

Sorry! False alarm on the ROX problem with swapping flash drives. After much investigation it turned out to be due to a flash drive that went bad.

d_vineet

64bit version for UPupBB

#465 Post by d_vineet »

I can see only 32bit iso's of UPupBB for download. I am aware that 32 bit versions can run happily on 64 bit m/c. Still, not having 64 bit iso is because there will not be any marked performance advantage of 64 bit over 32 bit version as far as UPupBB is concerned?

peebee

Re: 64bit version for UPupBB

#466 Post by peebee »

d_vineet wrote:I can see only 32bit iso's of UPupBB for download.
Correct. There will never be a 64-bit UPup.

There is however Bionicpup64 7.9.8 CE RC by 666philb

peebee

#467 Post by peebee »

Update to +26 on 02-feb-2019

1d6307e3c25a661d234b40043cd0e2df upupbb-18.05+26.iso

{delta}

Quite large ubuntu updates....surprising how much for an LTS version....

tosim

Solved Installed on HDD

#468 Post by tosim »

peebee-This morning I installed 1805+26 to newly formatted harddrive-ext4, flag set to boot. It's an older laptop, and with gparted, made the whole disk(75GB) into 1 partition. (I ran the CD first to ensure all was working, then did the format.) Started up with the cd in, and after upup was running, clicked the install button. Followed the instructions EXACTLY, but after the install was completed, shut down, removed the cd, and rebooted. Here is the only stuff that showed on screen:
wee 0> find --set-root /grldr
wee 15> /grldr
wee 17> _

I'm assuming it had something to do with booting. I did not choose grub4dos,and as I said earlier-I followed directions exactly. BTW- I've never had any problems dealing with the previous versions when running from multi-boot usb app. Would greatly appreciate any assistance. Thank you.
Last edited by tosim on Tue 05 Feb 2019, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

6502coder

#469 Post by 6502coder »

Did a manual update from +25 to +26, which has been running just fine in several hours of use spread over 3-4 sessions over the past two days.

peebee

Re: Installed on HDD

#470 Post by peebee »

tosim wrote:newly formatted harddrive-ext4, flag set to boot.
@tosim

I suspect you have used "64-bit ext4" which is a known problem - see:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111376
How to fix Grub4DOS Error 13, wee 13>, due to 64-bit Ext4

and this post from fredx181 shows how to fix the format:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 51#1013051