BionicPup32 (UPupBB) (27 June 2020)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
B.K. Johnson

#541 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@perdido
You directed me to the pet with rtl8812_au and info to compile sources.
I decided on the pet for the initial testing of the dongle. The compilation I'll tackle later.

Success is mine!
After installing the pet I have successfully connected the TP-LINK running from upupbb-18.05+28 (k4.9.96). Thanks. It won't be long, I hope, before compiling for something, likely tahr-6.0.6 which will allow me to keep my existing pupsave with a new installation - new driver, old pupsave.
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

perdido

#542 Post by perdido »

B.K. Johnson wrote:@perdido
You directed me to the pet with rtl8812_au and info to compile sources.
I decided on the pet for the initial testing of the dongle. The compilation I'll tackle later.

Success is mine!
After installing the pet I have successfully connected the TP-LINK running from upupbb-18.05+28 (k4.9.96). Thanks. It won't be long, I hope,
before compiling for something, likely tahr-6.0.6 which will allow me to keep my existing pupsave with a new installation - new driver,
old pupsave.

Hi B.K. Johnson, thanks for reporting back Someone else will surely need that info.:)
I think there is a good chance those sources will compile in puppy tahr.
--------
@peebee
Thanks for the new iso, will be giving it a try-out to see what she got :)

peebee

BionicPup32

#543 Post by peebee »

UPupBB is now BionicPup32.....

Latest version is bionicpup32-8.0+1-uefi.iso
Kernel is 4.9.163

Preferred download from SourceForge

Alternative download from Ibiblio (mainly for DistroWatch purposes)

There is a delta from the UPupBB-18.05 base iso with md5=55e20c3e53339cf6ddbc5bc3c0c0bad1

If you need the additional drivers in post #3 you will need to revert to kernel 4.9.96
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(77.85 KiB) Downloaded 1349 times
Last edited by peebee on Sat 27 Apr 2019, 08:05, edited 1 time in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Marv

Re: BionicPup32

#544 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:UPupBB is now BionicPup32.....

Latest version is bionicpup32-8.0+1-uefi.iso
Kernel is 4.9.163
Going from 8.0 to 8.0 +1 (and also in the latest upupcc), I lost pupmode 13. In both a fresh savefile created sucessfully from a pristine boot and from an updated 8.0 savefile, the savefile is loaded correctly, all settings, connections, etc. are correct but the install runs in pupmode 12, not 13.

Code: Select all

# save2flash
save2flash: Wrong PUPMODE (12)
256 Mb EXT2 savefiles, frugal grub4dos install to ssd with menu entry:

title BionicPup 19.03 +1 with 4.9.163 kernel
  uuid 2598-C220
  kernel /BionicPup/vmlinuz pmedia=ataflash intel_pstate=disable pdev1=sda1 psubdir=BionicPup pfix=copy,fsck ipv6.disable=1
  initrd /BionicPup/initrd.gz
Hardware is:

System:    Host: puppypc21034 Kernel: 4.9.163-lxpup-32-pae i686 bits: 32 gcc: 8.3.0 Desktop: JWM 2.3.7
           Distro: BionicPup32 19.03
Machine:   Device: laptop System: FUJITSU product: LIFEBOOK S761 serial: R2500459
           Mobo: FUJITSU model: FJNB225 serial: N/A
           UEFI [Legacy]: FUJITSU // Phoenix v: Version 1.17 date: 03/14/2012
Battery    CMB1: charge: 62.2 Wh 100.0% condition: 62.2/62.2 Wh (100%) model: Fujitsu CP293600-01 status: Full
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-2520M (-HT-MCP-) arch: Sandy Bridge rev.7 speed/max: 800/2501 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.19.6 drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2
           version: 3.3 Mesa 18.2.2 Direct Render: Yes
Network:   Card: Qualcomm Atheros AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver: ath9k bus-ID: 02:00.0
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 120.0GB (42.7% used)
Info:      Processes: 205 Uptime: 15 min Memory: 283.2/3867.5MB Init: SysVinit runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: N/A
           Client: Shell (bash 4.4.191) inxi: 2.3.40 
Rolled back to 8.0 to post.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

artsown

pmcputemp issues

#545 Post by artsown »

Bionicpup32 ok here except pmcputemp does not work properly. It also
has a significant memory leak. Check my post here, fourth up from
page bottom, and ozsouth's confirmation at the bottom:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=690

Phil has not included any version of pmcputemp in his bionicpup64, and
I suggest that you do the same. Hopefully, someone will write a decent
alternative that continually displays largest of cores temps in the tray.

I use a simple "on demand" script for lm-sensors (from ppm):

#!/bin/bash
modprobe coretemp
while true
do
clear
echo " "
echo " --- TEMPS OF CPU CORES ---"
sensors
sleep 2
done
wend

For this I use right click -- run in terminal
Fresh readings are taken every two seconds.

Art

bigpup

#546 Post by bigpup »

This is an updated fixed version for cpucurtemp.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=115684
A better CPU temperature taskbar program, using bits & fixes from all over. Uninstall other CPU temp programs. Then install & restart X.
If your PC was built 2011 or later, should work fine. You need sensors & libsensors, which some pups have installed (to test this, in a terminal, run sensors) - packages below. Have 64 & 32 bit versions. It refreshes every 6 seconds & re-starts every hour to mitigate the small memory leak.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

artsown

#547 Post by artsown »

bigpup wrote:This is an updated fixed version for cpucurtemp.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=115684
A better CPU temperature taskbar program, using bits & fixes from all over. Uninstall other CPU temp programs. Then install & restart X.
If your PC was built 2011 or later, should work fine. You need sensors & libsensors, which some pups have installed (to test this, in a terminal, run sensors) - packages below. Have 64 & 32 bit versions. It refreshes every 6 seconds & re-starts every hour to mitigate the small memory leak.
Looks encouraging. Kinda clever the way ozsouth handled the memory
leak by periodically restarting the thing :) I also checked the 64 bit version
on bionic, xenial, tahr and slacko pups ... and all were good.

I hope this holds up without problems so it can be included on both 32 and
64 bit bionic pups!

I noticed that cpucurtemp reports the lowest of the multiple core temps.
pmcputemp reported the highest temp core, which makes more sense
to me. I suppose I should comment on that in ozsouth's thread.

Art

peebee

Re: BionicPup32

#548 Post by peebee »

Marv wrote:I lost pupmode 13. In both a fresh savefile created sucessfully from a pristine boot and from an updated 8.0 savefile, the savefile is loaded correctly, all settings, connections, etc. are correct but the install runs in pupmode 12, not 13.
Bug found and squashed - thanks - but will need a rebuild and reupload..... :-(

https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... bda6f21d62
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

davids45

Boot Manager not loading modules?

#549 Post by davids45 »

G'day,
I've been having an ongoing problem with peebee's recent Pups in they are failing to see my computer's core temperatures on this old HP smallform desktop.

It needs the smsc47b397 module loaded which I use Boot Manager to load at boot-up.

Although Boot Manager reported the module was loaded on following boots, sensors reported no driver loaded and Pwidgets CPU-Temp showed nothing :? .

I finally tried lsmod and it also showed no temperature module loaded.
Trying 'modprobe smsc47b397' and the module loaded :D , and sensors and Pwidgets now show the usual various temperatures (and fan speeds).

I've put a script file into Startup to get the module loaded.

Is anyone else having this problem with Boot Manager in the recent Bionic and Cosmic Pups? I believe this is a recent problem as things had been fine with Pups for several years.

Perhaps this also affects the other cputemp programs if necessary hwmon driver modules are not being loaded by that program?

David S.

peebee

#550 Post by peebee »

BionicPup32-8.0+1 is reuploaded with woof-ce puppymode 13 bugfix.

0aea9310fbb3f1324767bac2fd64eb54 bionicpup32-8.0+1-uefi.iso

Please delete any previous versions.

Marv

#551 Post by Marv »

peebee wrote:BionicPup32-8.0+1 is reuploaded with woof-ce puppymode 13 bugfix.
Downloaded, md5sumchecked, updated the frugal install removing my temporary patch. Now running correctly in pupmode 13.

Thanks,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

wanderer

#552 Post by wanderer »

hi peebee

i assume this is the thread for
puppy 8 bionicpup 32
am i right

i am running it now
and everything is working perfectly

posting from light browser

i haven't run any new puppies for a long while
because none of the new ones would run for me
and i have been playing with corepup
and it is amazing how far you guys have come

this is a beautiful piece of work
and like i said everything is working perfectly
i don't find a single issue

thanks much for creating this

wanderer

mavrothal

Re: BionicPup32 (UPupBB) (March 2019)

#553 Post by mavrothal »

It would appear that the ibiblio and SourceForge base ISOs are different (8.0-uefi vs 8.0+0-uefi) and the ibiblio one is not "updatable". Is this the case?
I do not know if this indeed is the case and if it is intentional but does not sound very nice if true. Specially if the one in ibiblio has know bugs.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

peebee

#554 Post by peebee »

mavrothal wrote:
It would appear that the ibiblio and SourceForge base ISOs are different (8.0-uefi vs 8.0+0-uefi) and the ibiblio one is not "updatable". Is this the case?
I do not know if this indeed is the case and if it is intentional but does not sound very nice if true. Specially if the one in ibiblio has know bugs.
Intentional.
The Ibiblio version will always be the latest with all known bugs squashed - i.e. curently is 8.0+1 so indeed different to 8.0+0 which is the "base" iso.....there is a text file on ibiblio that gives the md5s

The ibiblio version is not directly updateable - the base iso would be needed from SF - or the ibiblio iso can be renamed and a "reverse-update" applied.

wanderer

#555 Post by wanderer »

hi peebee or whomever

i am running bionicpup32

and it looks and works great

but i can't find out how to install dillo
is this possible

the petget didn't find it

thanks

wanderer

B.K. Johnson

#556 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@peebee
Re bionicpup32-8 k4.9.163, do you plan on making a pet available for rtl8812au, as was done for k4.9.96 during the upupbb testing phase? Could you? TIA
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

peebee

#557 Post by peebee »

wanderer wrote:but i can't find out how to install dillo
Should be in universe....
https://ubuntu.pkgs.org/18.04/ubuntu-un ... 6.deb.html

pkgs.org is always a good place to go.....

mavrothal

#558 Post by mavrothal »

peebee wrote: The Ibiblio version will always be the latest with all known bugs squashed
You better make sure that would be able to determine which ibiblio 8.0-uefi version is used because otherwise resolving issues can become problematic.
Maybe a /etc/builddate or an /etc/updateverion file or something like it.
In general, I think that having different things under the same name is not a recommended practice.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

wanderer

#559 Post by wanderer »

thanks peebee

like i said beautiful work

thanks for making it

wanderer

peebee

#560 Post by peebee »

mavrothal wrote:You better make sure that would be able to determine which ibiblio 8.0-uefi version is used because otherwise resolving issues can become problematic.
Maybe a /etc/builddate or an /etc/updateverion file or something like it.
In general, I think that having different things under the same name is not a recommended practice.
They are not the same name deliberately....
See /etc/system_build_date ......