BionicPup32 (UPupBB) (27 June 2020)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
vtpup

#586 Post by vtpup »

Hmmmm, maybe that's standard operation. I think I've figured out how to fix.....

So would I write a script like

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/wine:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

exec /usr/lib/wine/wine "$@"
And call it wine and put in /usr/bin/ ?

EDIT: That worked but, wine could not exec the wineserver. I had to create a link in /usr/bin/ to /usr/lib/wine/wineserver32.

I also had to name that link winserver (not wineserver32). After that a test on Google SketchUp7 (SketchUp.exe) opened the program.

Another problem I noticed with BionicPup when I was working with this issue: right clicking on a file and then selecting "properties" always failed the first time I did it.

I had to do it a second time to actually get properties.

I am using a touchpad with real (physical) mouse buttons, and with the touchpad tap functions turned off.
[color=darkblue]Acer Aspire 5349-2635 laptop Tahrpup.[/color]
[color=blue]Acer R11 and C720 Chromebks Bionicpup64[/color]
[color=olive]Acer Iconia A1-830 tablet no pup[/color]
[color=orange]www.sredmond.com[/color]

bigpup

#587 Post by bigpup »

I would remove the Wine you got from PPM.

Install the Wine pet made for Puppy.

For Wine.

Make sure you have the latest version of Wine.
Well, some programs do seem to work better on older versions of Wine, but I would start with the newest and see.
Good place to get Wine for Puppy.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88711

Also, look on the first post of the Wine topic for a added 'wine_extras-v2.1.pet' that puts Wine entries in the menu.

When you get Wine installed and the Wine menu entries.
Run Wine config to setup Wine.
It will probably offer you a few more programs needed for Wine to run properly.
Should download and install them as part of the initial config.

Also, in Wine config->Drivers Select autodetect to get all the driver locations loaded in Wine.

A lot of settup options in Wine config, so check them all.

What version of Windows you want Wine to mimic can affect how a program runs. Wine Config->Applications.

About specific programs running in Wine.
Go to the Wine web site and see what it says about a specific program and issues.
http://www.winehq.org

Using Wine is almost like learning a new operating system.
Takes a while to learn how to use Wine and to get things working properly.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

lizardidi

lifeograph 1.4.2 sfs?

#588 Post by lizardidi »

I tried to install lifeograph 1.4.2 via PPM. First i updated the repo files. Then PPM suggest to install 2 files, ie lifeograph_1.4.2-1 & libgtkmm-3.0-1v5_3.22.2-2.

After installation complete, i can open lifeograph, but i cannot use it because all the functions and icons are not present. This might due to some missing libraries. It says "glibmm-ERROR".

Can anyone please help compile and post a working lifeograph.sfs here? I have been using it instead of for years. Wish i can continue to write journals on my Bionicpup as well. I think such sfs file will benefit other forum member as well.

Thanks for all your kindness..

My system:
1. frugal installed bionicpup32 on 2GB pendrive, pupsave on ext2 file system.
2. Tahrpup 6.0.6
3. Bionicdog64

vtpup

#589 Post by vtpup »

Thanks BigPup, I've been running Wine for years, though not for many programs. Mainly the old Google SketchUp 7, a must-have for me. It runs perfectly on Wine 1.5.9, and has problems after that version in the 1.x.series with image exports. They end up blank.

I've been able to install Wine 1.5.9's .pet on other Puppies up until now, but BionicPup32 won't properly run that one, hence the experiment with Wine 3.0 using the installer.

After a few tweaks, Wine 3 seems to run SketchUp 7 okay, so far, but still testing. My aim is to switch to BionicPup32 as my main distro after several years on TahrPup if all works out. And SketchUp is a pivotal program for any change in a tried and true system, used daily.

If I run into problems with the present installed Wine, I'll look at what's specifically available for PionicPup32. Thanks for the suggestions -- and yup, the utilities and config are useful -- used them in the past.
[color=darkblue]Acer Aspire 5349-2635 laptop Tahrpup.[/color]
[color=blue]Acer R11 and C720 Chromebks Bionicpup64[/color]
[color=olive]Acer Iconia A1-830 tablet no pup[/color]
[color=orange]www.sredmond.com[/color]

OscarTalks

#590 Post by OscarTalks »

I compiled the new DeaDBeeF 1.8.0 from source in BionicPup32

Build complained about missing libcurl4-nss
Might be worth looking at adding this to the Woof-CE build recipe
I added it via PPM and included the run-time lib in the package.

Optional extra functionality libs added:-
- opus (libopus) upgrade to version 1.3 plus opusfile package for opus file and streaming support.
- libmpg123 to provide the option to choose between that or libmad for mp3 playback
- libwavpack for wavpack playback support

I added a couple of MIME associations including left-click for .opus and
Right-click > Open With > DeaDBeeF for easy playback of any type of audio file in ROX

All looks and sounds very good here on initial testing.
Uploaded strictly for experimentation
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
Attachments
deadbeef180-upbb.jpg
Compiled from source with extras, here playing ogg OPUS audio stream
(44.38 KiB) Downloaded 1024 times
Oscar in England

morochos

Chromium browser with Bionicpup32

#591 Post by morochos »

I installed the Chromium .deb file, it was installed perfectly, but I can' t run the browser. Something is missing.
I use this way to update the chrome in the 64 buts puppy, why is not working in the 32 bits version?

bigpup

#592 Post by bigpup »

What Chromium .deb file?
From where?
Is it 32bit?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

morochos

#593 Post by morochos »

bigpup wrote:What Chromium .deb file?
From where?
Is it 32bit?
From debian.org. Yes, it is 32 bits. This is the link:
https://packages.debian.org/stable/web/chromium

lizardidi

Cannot run lifeograph

#594 Post by lizardidi »

After few days of messing around, still unable to run lifeograph on Bionicpup32 puppy.

The program will install successfully, but unable to create diary, or open any text file.

In terminal, the error code is as below:

# lifeograph
ERROR: Failed to create the entry view

(lifeograph:26143): glibmm-ERROR **: 22:54:28.172:
unhandled exception (type unknown) in signal handler

Trace/breakpoint trap

From the error code, it said there is a problem with glibmm. However, i had installed all the dependencies. In bionicpup32, i think the glibmm is already installed.

Will try for another few days, is there any puppies that can install and run the latest lifeograph?

OscarTalks

#595 Post by OscarTalks »

morochos wrote:From debian.org. Yes, it is 32 bits. This is the link:
https://packages.debian.org/stable/web/chromium
Bionic Pup is Ubuntu based so better to look for chromium-browser in
http://packages.ubuntu.com

These browsers usually require some modifications to get them to work in Puppy.
Best to look around for packages that have been modified for Puppy already.

However, in BionicPup32
Update PPM databse
Install chromium-browser
Start from terminal with chromium-browser --no-sandbox
Works.

You can then edit /usr/bin/chromium-browser and the .desktop file in order to make it run from the menu entry.
Attachments
chromium-upbb.jpg
chromium-browser from PPM works with a few tweaks
(19.01 KiB) Downloaded 781 times
Oscar in England

peebee

Re: Chromium browser with Bionicpup32

#596 Post by peebee »

morochos wrote:I installed the Chromium .deb file, it was installed perfectly, but I can' t run the browser. Something is missing.
I use this way to update the chrome in the 64 buts puppy, why is not working in the 32 bits version?
Chromium sfs configured for Puppy is available from the menu:
Internet -> Get Web Browser

This is the recommended approach.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

OscarTalks

Re: Cannot run lifeograph

#597 Post by OscarTalks »

lizardidi wrote:After few days of messing around, still unable to run lifeograph on Bionicpup32 puppy.

The program will install successfully, but unable to create diary, or open any text file.

# lifeograph

Trace/breakpoint trap

From the error code, it said there is a problem with glibmm. However, i had installed all the dependencies. In bionicpup32, i think the glibmm is already installed.

Will try for another few days, is there any puppies that can install and run the latest lifeograph?
I looked at this in BionicPup32 and tried a few things but always got the same error as you.

I don't know if this is of any use to you, but in Dpup Stretch I installed Lifeograph from PPM and it seems to work. Version is slightly earlier at 1.4.0
Attachments
lifeograph-stretch.jpg
Installed via PPM in Dpup Stretch - any good?
(46.28 KiB) Downloaded 735 times
Oscar in England

morochos

#598 Post by morochos »

Thanks, Oscar and Peebee.
Peebee, I was using the sfs file, but I was trying to find a way to keep it updated

peebee

#599 Post by peebee »

morochos wrote:Thanks, Oscar and Peebee.
Peebee, I was using the sfs file, but I was trying to find a way to keep it updated
It is updated as soon as a suitable version becomes available - however AlienBob has had problems building the latest 32-bit version.....
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

morochos

#600 Post by morochos »

[quote="It is updated as soon as a suitable version becomes available - however AlienBob has had problems building the latest 32-bit version.....[/quote]

Nice! How we get these updates? Dowloading again the sfs with the link in the menu?

RedQuine

#601 Post by RedQuine »

OscarTalks wrote:
lizardidi wrote:After few days of messing around, still unable to run lifeograph on Bionicpup32 puppy.

# lifeograph

Trace/breakpoint trap

I looked at this in BionicPup32 and tried a few things but always got the same error as you.

I don't know if this is of any use to you, but in Dpup Stretch I installed Lifeograph from PPM and it seems to work. Version is slightly earlier at 1.4.0
I just tested it in BionicPup64. It passed dependency check, but when I tried to run it, it failed because it was looking for glibmm 3.x. Once I updated to glibmm to 3.0-1v5_3.22.2-2 (in PPM), it ran perfectly. Maybe worth checking in BionicPup32?

Nice application, by the way! Thanks for bringing it to my attention. :)

lizardidi

#602 Post by lizardidi »

RedQuine wrote:
OscarTalks wrote:

# lifeograph

Trace/breakpoint trap

I just tested it in BionicPup64. It passed dependency check, but when I tried to run it, it failed because it was looking for glibmm 3.x. Once I updated to glibmm to 3.0-1v5_3.22.2-2 (in PPM), it ran perfectly. Maybe worth checking in BionicPup32?

Nice application, by the way! Thanks for bringing it to my attention. :)
Thanks OscarTalks and RedQuine!

I updated bionicpup32 ppm repo, however, I can't find libglibmm-3.0. The most recent in the PPM is libglibmm-2.4.

Tried to search libglibmm-3.0 online, however, all i found is the libglibmm-2.4. Can share the libglibmm-3.0 here?

p/s: Btw, heard that Dpup stretch is among the most established puppies. Sure will try it some day. When i test a puppy/dog, 2 most important task for me is (1) succesful cups connection to my office network printer, (2) import/export note in lifeograph; Tahrpup is one of my favourite, however, I cant get it to connect to Toshiba e-Studio printer (filter-failed); Bionicpup32 is a huge improvement for puppy that it can connect to my network printer without difficulty.

perdido

#603 Post by perdido »

Nvidia display driver version 304.137.PET for kernel 4.9.163 latest bionicpup32
http://ibm-pc.org/puppy/bionic/nvidia-x ... .9.163.pet
MD5 d171cd7a2101ee31ede0bbe267c30d27

Download is about 44MB.

OscarTalks

#604 Post by OscarTalks »

lizardidi wrote:p/s: Btw, heard that Dpup stretch is among the most established puppies. Sure will try it some day.
Lifeograph is GTK3 which is not really fully supported in Puppy.
The version 1.4.0 in Stretch PPM works, but seems to have been compiled with debugging enabled so you get lots of DBG messages if running from terminal.

I was able to compile the later version 1.4.2 from source in Dpup Stretch with debugging disabled so it is the same as the Bionic32 version and runs silently and sweetly in terminal. If you decide to try running Dpup Stretch I can upload this version for you to test.
Oscar in England

lizardidi

#605 Post by lizardidi »

OscarTalks wrote:
lizardidi wrote:p/s: Btw, heard that Dpup stretch is among the most established puppies. Sure will try it some day.
Lifeograph is GTK3 which is not really fully supported in Puppy.
The version 1.4.0 in Stretch PPM works, but seems to have been compiled with debugging enabled so you get lots of DBG messages if running from terminal.

I was able to compile the later version 1.4.2 from source in Dpup Stretch with debugging disabled so it is the same as the Bionic32 version and runs silently and sweetly in terminal. If you decide to try running Dpup Stretch I can upload this version for you to test.

Many thanks in advance OscarTalks!

I am now trying my frugally installed Dpup. Indeed a very well build puppy! All my network printers detected and run strainght away.

Can you upload it to the forum? This way others will have the chance to use this excellent programs as well.