Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 20 May 2018, 15:46
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
TazPup Alpha 7
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 13 [190 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 11, 12, 13 Next
mistfire

PostPosted: Sun 29 Apr 2018, 07:49    Post subject:  TazPup Alpha 7
Subject description: Slitaz-based puppy

I learned that someone in the forum was combining tiny core linux and puppy.

I wonder if someone was attempting to combine slitaz and puppy?

UPDATE 1
I tried to make it. The boot process works but when the Xorg started both mouse and keyboard does not work. I wonder why?

UPDATE 2
Im now sucessfully boot to slitaz desktop environment but it needs more refinement (The latest image currently unavailable)

UPDATE 3
Great News! I succesfully ran Slitaz on top of Puppy. It works like Slitaz but also behave like puppy.

But there are issues must be solved:
1. /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown does not work. It means it cannot create save file
2. pup_event_frontend_d crashes
3. Cannot render or display SVG images
3. Some puppy scripts are broken.

I will release the working image very soon even the save feature does not work to in order to fix by someone.

UPDATE 4
Tazpup can now create savefiles and load it. You also use pfix=ram to bypass loading savefile. However rebooting and shutdown requires root password if tux account is used. Also rendering SVG is now working.

UPDATE 5
pup_event is now running. Shutdown and reboot is now improved

This is still in alpha state.

Download:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/16TauS73tXdJRmIowWEXV_Wydc9uXIIyK/view?usp=sharing

Build kit is now available if you want to build your own tazpup
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cDkk_xpp--MqMBiaNrldPnVt5uW9TGli/view?usp=sharing

How it works
The boot process is the same as puppy however upon starting the rc.sysinit. It performs filesystem manipulation only (It does not load kernel modules or starting udevd). Then it calls the slitaz init script from rc.sysinit and continue its common initialization.
tazpup-desktop.png
 Description   
 Filesize   158.26 KB
 Viewed   368 Time(s)

tazpup-desktop.png

Last edited by mistfire on Fri 18 May 2018, 20:34; edited 11 times in total
wiak

PostPosted: Sun 29 Apr 2018, 08:51    Post subject:  

Not really, but see here anyway:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=990157#990157
mistfire

PostPosted: Wed 02 May 2018, 00:07    Post subject:  

@wiak I tried to build slitaz-puppy hybrid. It works but when starting Xorg both keyboard and mouse does not work. But the desktop environment works. Here is the sample image that I made

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1G8HHH9pDQZBeOOwhJKdvTODao0q3kpr4
wiak

PostPosted: Wed 02 May 2018, 01:03    Post subject:  

Oh I see, this is actually using Pup boot scripts and aufs layering, so it is a Pup and you are attempting to run Slitaz on top of that. Good idea. I presume you are not planning to use Puppy Package Manager with this, but using Slitaz package management tools? Advantage of this (apart from small Slitaz size) is that you would be able to get proper persistence like in Puppy (Puppy save file, or save folder).

On quick try only reaches the tux login splash screen and then crashed my machine with constant beeping. Unfortunately, you have caught me at a busy time (I'm in the middle of writing a program). Knowing it is actually a Pup and not Slitaz trying to be a Puppy-lookalike, maybe some Pup expert will take a look and see where the crash is occuring. I actually don't know Slitaz boot system at all so don't know if that splash screen is after X starts (in which case your system must be successfully reaching commandline runlevel stage. Maybe if you comment out call to xwin in .profile you can reach a stable commandline from there (you'd need to unsquash the main sfs file, comment out that xwin command in /root/.profile and resquash. I'm not sure if that is where X is being started, but that's my guess. If you can get it successfully to commandline with working keyboard would be much easier to fault-find X startup from there.

wiak
mistfire

PostPosted: Wed 02 May 2018, 09:18    Post subject:  

@wiak I make another test I try to pack again a pristine slitaz rootfs with puppy component this time the .xinitrc and .profile was from slitaz, /etc/profile was combined puppy and slitaz, rc.sysinit kernel loading component was removed only aufs layer and pupstate process remain and calling the slitaz init script and the end of script.

This time it boots on login screen. I can now use keyboard however I cannot login even I entered the correct username and password
mistfire

PostPosted: Wed 02 May 2018, 12:11    Post subject:  

I find now the culprit why it did not login
I make /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow pristine from slitaz.

I can now logged in on tux but desktop does not start but when I logged in root it now goes to desktop.

Most puppy scripts does not function because of illegal -f argument in export syntax, also bash interpreter is missing on Slitaz. There are many things to fix in order to combine puppy and slitaz.
mistfire

PostPosted: Wed 02 May 2018, 12:25    Post subject:  

Slitaz common booting in a nutshell

1. The rootfs was in the initrd
2. It decompresses the initrd
3. /sbin/init is executed
s243a

PostPosted: Wed 02 May 2018, 14:05    Post subject:  

mistfire wrote:
Slitaz common booting in a nutshell

1. The rootfs was in the initrd
2. It decompresses the initrd
3. /sbin/init is executed

Are you using the puppy initrd/init script at all?
fredx181

PostPosted: Wed 02 May 2018, 15:10    Post subject:  

Hi mistfire, Would be very nice if this can can work (with savefile). Looking forward to it ! Smile , I tried frugal install from your ISO, but of course got the same problem not being able to login.

Fred

mistfire

PostPosted: Wed 02 May 2018, 18:17    Post subject:  

@s243a yes it uses puppy init scripts (both initrd and in the puppy sfs) then it calls the slitaz init scripts when rc.sysinit process is finished

@fred 90% savefiles should be work. I will release a working image pretty soon
wiak

PostPosted: Wed 02 May 2018, 19:20    Post subject:  

fredx181 wrote:
Hi mistfire, Would be very nice if this can can work (with savefile). Looking forward to it ! Smile , I tried frugal install from your ISO, but of course got the same problem not being able to login.

Fred

Yes, I've often thought it would be nice to have a woof-CE slitaz branch since the slitaz binaries are nice and small and that would bring back a small Puppy, which is not dependent on the large, multi-dependency, major distribution builds like those of Debian/Ubuntu. However, in looking at it myself I decided that would require major script changes in woof-CE to accomodate slitaz, which would be a lot of work.

Making a hybrid from a Puppy base but using Slitaz package management is an alternative I never thought of and one that is very attractive because of the advantages of Puppy having aufs and savefile/folder support. Biggest issue with conventional Slitaz is that it doesn't have proper persistence method currently and this would solve that.

Really good initiative mistfire.

wiak
mistfire

PostPosted: Wed 02 May 2018, 20:56    Post subject:  

The problem also in slitaz was when unpacking roorfs as initrd it fills up the ram immediately. Not good on old computers. By using the puppy's under-the-hood technique will fix this problem.
mistfire

PostPosted: Sat 05 May 2018, 01:16    Post subject:  

UPDATE 3
Great News! I succesfully ran Slitaz on top of Puppy. It works like Slitaz but also behave like puppy.

I will release the working image very soon even the save feature does not work to in order to fix by someone.
s243a

PostPosted: Sat 05 May 2018, 02:42    Post subject:  

mistfire wrote:
UPDATE 3

That's good news Smile

Quote:

A save folder would be easy, since as I note in another thread it's simply a matter of copy the stuff from pup_rw. My simplistic script can be found at:
https://pastebin.com/kPQ51AsF

one should though study what puppy does to avoid any gothas. Most of the puppy scripts seem to be in
/usr/local/sbin/

some ones that sound relevant or saving are:
savesession-dvd
resizepfile.sh
save2image
save2flash

One can also check the .desktop file to see what script the save button on the desktop launches.

Quote:

These issues sound like they might be slightly tricker but it sounds like you are making good progress Smile
fredx181

PostPosted: Sat 05 May 2018, 06:32    Post subject:  

EDIT: Initially posted here about TazDog experiment, but I thought better move to here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=990808#990808

Fred

Page 1 of 13 [190 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 11, 12, 13 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Jump to: