TazPuppy 5.0 rc2

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
mistfire

TazPuppy 5.0 rc2

#1 Post by mistfire »

I learned that someone in the forum was combining tiny core linux and puppy.

I wonder if someone was attempting to combine slitaz and puppy?

UPDATE 1
I tried to make it. The boot process works but when the Xorg started both mouse and keyboard does not work. I wonder why?

UPDATE 2
Im now sucessfully boot to slitaz desktop environment but it needs more refinement (The latest image currently unavailable)

UPDATE 3
Great News! I succesfully ran Slitaz on top of Puppy. It works like Slitaz but also behave like puppy.

But there are issues must be solved:
1. /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown does not work. It means it cannot create save file
2. pup_event_frontend_d crashes
3. Cannot render or display SVG images
3. Some puppy scripts are broken.

I will release the working image very soon even the save feature does not work to in order to fix by someone.

UPDATE 4
Tazpup can now create savefiles and load it. You also use pfix=ram to bypass loading savefile. However rebooting and shutdown requires root password if tux account is used. Also rendering SVG is now working.

UPDATE 5
pup_event is now running. Shutdown and reboot is now improved

UPDATE 6
TazPuppy reached beta state. This will be formally announced in Puppy Project section if there is no major bugs or errors.

UPDATE 7
TazPuppy has reached Release Candidate milestone

* Supports both Puppy, Slitaz, Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, and Arch Linux package format natively
* TazPuppy can load SFS, Slax, and Porteus modules

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cMON88 ... VqmcMJdhyd
MD5 Checksum: ea8d96eb2e44f5f1321fa70a15717c47

Build Kit: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rxQRV0 ... olCAQvwm6x

Latest slitaz package updates: http://cook.slitaz.org

DEFAULT ACCOUNT
Username: tux
Password:(blank)

ROOT ACCOUNT
Username: root
Password: root

NOTES:
* To swap kernel just replace vmlinuz of other puppies and put its zdrv file but rename it as zdrv_tazpup_5.0.sfs
* To create the latest devx module. Goto Applications>Setup>Make DEVX module.
* To autologin as root. Edit the /etc/slim.conf using this parameters

Code: Select all

default_user root
auto_login yes
then restart the TazPuppy

* TazPuppy like Slitaz can work as rolling release. Use large save file or use save folder stored in a large free space partition. If you want to use the rolling release feature of TazPuppy

How it works
The boot process is the same as puppy however upon starting the rc.sysinit. It performs filesystem manipulation only (It does not load kernel modules or starting udevd). Then it calls the slitaz init script from rc.sysinit and continue its common initialization.[/url]
Attachments
tazpuppy.jpg
(54.55 KiB) Downloaded 11609 times
Last edited by mistfire on Sat 27 Jun 2020, 10:24, edited 123 times in total.

wiak

#2 Post by wiak »

mistfire

#3 Post by mistfire »

@wiak I tried to build slitaz-puppy hybrid. It works but when starting Xorg both keyboard and mouse does not work. But the desktop environment works. Here is the sample image that I made

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1G8HHH ... Dao0q3kpr4

wiak

#4 Post by wiak »

Oh I see, this is actually using Pup boot scripts and aufs layering, so it is a Pup and you are attempting to run Slitaz on top of that. Good idea. I presume you are not planning to use Puppy Package Manager with this, but using Slitaz package management tools? Advantage of this (apart from small Slitaz size) is that you would be able to get proper persistence like in Puppy (Puppy save file, or save folder).

On quick try only reaches the tux login splash screen and then crashed my machine with constant beeping. Unfortunately, you have caught me at a busy time (I'm in the middle of writing a program). Knowing it is actually a Pup and not Slitaz trying to be a Puppy-lookalike, maybe some Pup expert will take a look and see where the crash is occuring. I actually don't know Slitaz boot system at all so don't know if that splash screen is after X starts (in which case your system must be successfully reaching commandline runlevel stage. Maybe if you comment out call to xwin in .profile you can reach a stable commandline from there (you'd need to unsquash the main sfs file, comment out that xwin command in /root/.profile and resquash. I'm not sure if that is where X is being started, but that's my guess. If you can get it successfully to commandline with working keyboard would be much easier to fault-find X startup from there.

wiak

mistfire

#5 Post by mistfire »

@wiak I make another test I try to pack again a pristine slitaz rootfs with puppy component this time the .xinitrc and .profile was from slitaz, /etc/profile was combined puppy and slitaz, rc.sysinit kernel loading component was removed only aufs layer and pupstate process remain and calling the slitaz init script and the end of script.

This time it boots on login screen. I can now use keyboard however I cannot login even I entered the correct username and password

mistfire

#6 Post by mistfire »

I find now the culprit why it did not login
I make /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow pristine from slitaz.

I can now logged in on tux but desktop does not start but when I logged in root it now goes to desktop.

Most puppy scripts does not function because of illegal -f argument in export syntax, also bash interpreter is missing on Slitaz. There are many things to fix in order to combine puppy and slitaz.

mistfire

#7 Post by mistfire »

Slitaz common booting in a nutshell

1. The rootfs was in the initrd
2. It decompresses the initrd
3. /sbin/init is executed

s243a

#8 Post by s243a »

mistfire wrote:Slitaz common booting in a nutshell

1. The rootfs was in the initrd
2. It decompresses the initrd
3. /sbin/init is executed
Are you using the puppy initrd/init script at all?

fredx181

#9 Post by fredx181 »

Hi mistfire, Would be very nice if this can can work (with savefile). Looking forward to it ! :) , I tried frugal install from your ISO, but of course got the same problem not being able to login.

Fred

mistfire

#10 Post by mistfire »

@s243a yes it uses puppy init scripts (both initrd and in the puppy sfs) then it calls the slitaz init scripts when rc.sysinit process is finished

@fred 90% savefiles should be work. I will release a working image pretty soon

wiak

#11 Post by wiak »

fredx181 wrote:Hi mistfire, Would be very nice if this can can work (with savefile). Looking forward to it ! :) , I tried frugal install from your ISO, but of course got the same problem not being able to login.

Fred
Yes, I've often thought it would be nice to have a woof-CE slitaz branch since the slitaz binaries are nice and small and that would bring back a small Puppy, which is not dependent on the large, multi-dependency, major distribution builds like those of Debian/Ubuntu. However, in looking at it myself I decided that would require major script changes in woof-CE to accomodate slitaz, which would be a lot of work.

Making a hybrid from a Puppy base but using Slitaz package management is an alternative I never thought of and one that is very attractive because of the advantages of Puppy having aufs and savefile/folder support. Biggest issue with conventional Slitaz is that it doesn't have proper persistence method currently and this would solve that.

Really good initiative mistfire.

wiak

mistfire

#12 Post by mistfire »

The problem also in slitaz was when unpacking roorfs as initrd it fills up the ram immediately. Not good on old computers. By using the puppy's under-the-hood technique will fix this problem.

mistfire

#13 Post by mistfire »

UPDATE 3
Great News! I succesfully ran Slitaz on top of Puppy. It works like Slitaz but also behave like puppy.

I will release the working image very soon even the save feature does not work to in order to fix by someone.

s243a

#14 Post by s243a »

mistfire wrote:UPDATE 3

That's good news :)
A save folder would be easy, since as I note in another thread it's simply a matter of copy the stuff from pup_rw. My simplistic script can be found at:
https://pastebin.com/kPQ51AsF

one should though study what puppy does to avoid any gothas. Most of the puppy scripts seem to be in
/usr/local/sbin/

some ones that sound relevant or saving are:
savesession-dvd
resizepfile.sh
save2image
save2flash

One can also check the .desktop file to see what script the save button on the desktop launches.

These issues sound like they might be slightly tricker but it sounds like you are making good progress :)

fredx181

#15 Post by fredx181 »

EDIT: Initially posted here about TazDog experiment, but I thought better move to here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 808#990808

Fred

ally

#16 Post by ally »

mistfire

#17 Post by mistfire »

The long wait is over!

TazPup can now create savefiles and load it. You also use pfix=ram to bypass loading savefile. However reboot and shutdown requires root password if tux account is used. SVG images now working.

This is still in alpha state.

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BW7XA ... 1TxIuTaLnF

darry19662018

#18 Post by darry19662018 »

Test Machine:
Dell Inspiron 6400

Boots to desktop, Sound and Wireless working tried on youtube playback is smooth no lag. Only bug noticed was that menu bar disappeared. So I logged out and logged back in it reappeared this was after installing Palemoon,

Thanks for this offering Mistfire.

darry19662018

#19 Post by darry19662018 »

Persistance working well on reboot.

wiak

#20 Post by wiak »

mistfire wrote:The long wait is over!

TazPup can now create savefiles and load it. You also use pfix=ram to bypass loading savefile. However reboot and shutdown requires root password if tux account is used. SVG images now working.

This is still in alpha state.

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BW7XA ... 1TxIuTaLnF
Ah, now this is fantastic. TazDog is also great, and now TazPup going very well indeed. I'm really excited by these development - partly because I love Slitaz, but it had limitations because of persistence especially (and as you said, the fact it all expected to load into RAM, which may be limited on old computers) - but also because this is a new way forward for Puppy in that it uses Puppy boot/save mechanisms to solve Slitaz issues, but, via Slitaz's clever package management and tiny compiles, brings back a well under 100MB Puppy/Slitaz mongrel Pup. Debian package management Dogs are great, but sometimes we just yearn for the lean old Puppy days...

By the way, these issues with non-root user shutdown and so on were also problems originally faced by the Dogs, and subsequently solutions to these issues found there - worth checking out these Dog-solutions.

wiak