Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 22 May 2018, 12:22
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
TazPup Alpha 7
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 16 [232 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 14, 15, 16 Next
ally

PostPosted: Sat 05 May 2018, 14:04    Post subject:  

mirrored here:

http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_Tazpup

Smile
mistfire

PostPosted: Sat 05 May 2018, 23:42    Post subject:  

The long wait is over!

TazPup can now create savefiles and load it. You also use pfix=ram to bypass loading savefile. However reboot and shutdown requires root password if tux account is used. SVG images now working.

This is still in alpha state.

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BW7XAzpEh5bEZmZoVzH3OH1TxIuTaLnF
darry19662018

PostPosted: Sun 06 May 2018, 02:32    Post subject:  

Test Machine:
Dell Inspiron 6400

Boots to desktop, Sound and Wireless working tried on youtube playback is smooth no lag. Only bug noticed was that menu bar disappeared. So I logged out and logged back in it reappeared this was after installing Palemoon,

Thanks for this offering Mistfire.
darry19662018

PostPosted: Sun 06 May 2018, 02:41    Post subject:  

Persistance working well on reboot.
wiak

PostPosted: Sun 06 May 2018, 04:13    Post subject:  

mistfire wrote:
The long wait is over!

TazPup can now create savefiles and load it. You also use pfix=ram to bypass loading savefile. However reboot and shutdown requires root password if tux account is used. SVG images now working.

Ah, now this is fantastic. TazDog is also great, and now TazPup going very well indeed. I'm really excited by these development - partly because I love Slitaz, but it had limitations because of persistence especially (and as you said, the fact it all expected to load into RAM, which may be limited on old computers) - but also because this is a new way forward for Puppy in that it uses Puppy boot/save mechanisms to solve Slitaz issues, but, via Slitaz's clever package management and tiny compiles, brings back a well under 100MB Puppy/Slitaz mongrel Pup. Debian package management Dogs are great, but sometimes we just yearn for the lean old Puppy days...

By the way, these issues with non-root user shutdown and so on were also problems originally faced by the Dogs, and subsequently solutions to these issues found there - worth checking out these Dog-solutions.

wiak
darry19662018

PostPosted: Sun 06 May 2018, 04:26    Post subject:  

Yeah love the size reminds Pup 4 days.

I mean't to say the Puppy Universal installer doesn't work with it the slitaz one looks like it does.
fredx181

PostPosted: Sun 06 May 2018, 12:16    Post subject:  

mistfire wrote:
The long wait is over!

You did it !! Great job, many thanks !
For now, tested briefly by installing a few programs, internet browsing, set up save to folder at shutdown.
Persistence seems to work fine, I found after reboot.

Fred

smokey01

PostPosted: Sun 06 May 2018, 23:40    Post subject:  

Good job @mistfire.

I had a quick look at TazPup in Qemu which looked pretty good so I made a frugal install to my SSD.

I must say I'm very impressed what you have manage to pack into 80M. Midori seems to work very well.

I have two monitors but it only seems to detect one of them. Is there a way around this.

I installed vlc from the repo and it installed everything including all the required dependencies. Nice.

It's already in next months newsletter.

Thanks

mistfire

PostPosted: Mon 07 May 2018, 00:55    Post subject:  

Hi @smokey, slitaz was only around 150-200Mb (including kernel modules) when expanded. It was packed using xz compression at 1Mb block size. Regarding multiple monitors, you may seek help to slitaz forum because slitaz was seated on top of puppy architecture. Around 5-7% of slitaz base was modified in order to boot and behave like puppy.

In my latest experimentation pup_event_frontend_d is now working, On the fly SFS modules loading now works. Also Im tried to apply enhancements came from puppy to make it more robust. Non-user reboot and shutdown now works without root password.

I will also try to released the base files with build scripts to those who are interested to build their own TazPup made from pristine Slitaz.
wiak

PostPosted: Mon 07 May 2018, 06:06    Post subject:  

mistfire wrote:

I will also try to released the base files with build scripts to those who are interested to build their own TazPup made from pristine Slitaz.

Yes, very interested in this. Some older laptops getting dusty on the shelf and this should make a perfect OS for them.

Back to the good old Puppy days (okay so Slitaz, but as a project in terms of save persistence and sfs-handling and the boot mechanism, that's all Puppy advantages of course.

wiak
mistfire

PostPosted: Tue 08 May 2018, 05:41    Post subject:  

In terms of lightweight linux approach. Nothing beats Barry's idea and Puppy is the best lightweight linux distro and can even build it from other distro.
darry19662018

PostPosted: Tue 08 May 2018, 12:07    Post subject:  

Wow Mistfire,

Very nice indeed. Would like to see this support Puppy Universal Installer or own installer. Puppy installer when you select device to install to.
mistfire

PostPosted: Tue 08 May 2018, 12:53    Post subject:  

@darry19662018 on my latest experiment of tazpup. Puppy Installer is now working. But I cant test the whole process because I dont have a powerful computer to perform such virtualization. I dont want to mess my real hardware. Im only have an intel atom powered netbook which I currently used to build TazPup as well as X-Slacko Slim.

The binary structure of Slitaz was very different from puppy. So I decided to run slitaz on top of puppy as pristine as possible. As of now very few files are modified on Slitaz side
darry19662018

PostPosted: Tue 08 May 2018, 15:16    Post subject:  

Cool Mistfire

I look forward to trying whatever further is released.
foxpup

PostPosted: Tue 08 May 2018, 17:46    Post subject:  

Hello mistfire
I am using tazpup-alpha3 now on a intel dualcore desktop. Booted fine, installed my keyboard. eth0 connection automatic. It works lightning fast!
I am in TazWeb browser. I don't know whethter it is different from midori.
I have tried Slitaz a long time ago, but found it a bit difficult to find my way then and it was not as gentle as Puppy for the very old hardware I had then. But this reminds me of how small and fast the old Puppies used to be. Thnx very much.
I just login as root. I got the habbit from Puppy and I really don't like that security stuff.

Could there be any reason I cannot boot it on my fairly new uefi i5 laptop?
I also do not manage to boot it from usb, not from the legacy desktop and not from the uefi laptop with legacy usb boot enabled. I used the command dd to put the image on a usb.
Page 2 of 16 [232 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 14, 15, 16 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Jump to: