TazPuppy 5.0 rc2

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
ally

#16 Post by ally »

mistfire

#17 Post by mistfire »

The long wait is over!

TazPup can now create savefiles and load it. You also use pfix=ram to bypass loading savefile. However reboot and shutdown requires root password if tux account is used. SVG images now working.

This is still in alpha state.

Download: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BW7XA ... 1TxIuTaLnF

darry19662018

#18 Post by darry19662018 »

Test Machine:
Dell Inspiron 6400

Boots to desktop, Sound and Wireless working tried on youtube playback is smooth no lag. Only bug noticed was that menu bar disappeared. So I logged out and logged back in it reappeared this was after installing Palemoon,

Thanks for this offering Mistfire.

darry19662018

#19 Post by darry19662018 »

Persistance working well on reboot.

wiak

#20 Post by wiak »

mistfire wrote:The long wait is over!

TazPup can now create savefiles and load it. You also use pfix=ram to bypass loading savefile. However reboot and shutdown requires root password if tux account is used. SVG images now working.

Ah, now this is fantastic. TazDog is also great, and now TazPup going very well indeed. I'm really excited by these development - partly because I love Slitaz, but it had limitations because of persistence especially (and as you said, the fact it all expected to load into RAM, which may be limited on old computers) - but also because this is a new way forward for Puppy in that it uses Puppy boot/save mechanisms to solve Slitaz issues, but, via Slitaz's clever package management and tiny compiles, brings back a well under 100MB Puppy/Slitaz mongrel Pup. Debian package management Dogs are great, but sometimes we just yearn for the lean old Puppy days...

By the way, these issues with non-root user shutdown and so on were also problems originally faced by the Dogs, and subsequently solutions to these issues found there - worth checking out these Dog-solutions.

wiak

darry19662018

#21 Post by darry19662018 »

Yeah love the size reminds Pup 4 days.

I mean't to say the Puppy Universal installer doesn't work with it the slitaz one looks like it does.

fredx181

#22 Post by fredx181 »

mistfire wrote:The long wait is over!

You did it !! Great job, many thanks !
For now, tested briefly by installing a few programs, internet browsing, set up save to folder at shutdown.
Persistence seems to work fine, I found after reboot.

Fred

smokey01

#23 Post by smokey01 »

Good job @mistfire.

I had a quick look at TazPup in Qemu which looked pretty good so I made a frugal install to my SSD.

I must say I'm very impressed what you have manage to pack into 80M. Midori seems to work very well.

I have two monitors but it only seems to detect one of them. Is there a way around this.

I installed vlc from the repo and it installed everything including all the required dependencies. Nice.

It's already in next months newsletter.

Thanks

mistfire

#24 Post by mistfire »

Hi @smokey, slitaz was only around 150-200Mb (including kernel modules) when expanded. It was packed using xz compression at 1Mb block size. Regarding multiple monitors, you may seek help to slitaz forum because slitaz was seated on top of puppy architecture. Around 5-7% of slitaz base was modified in order to boot and behave like puppy.

In my latest experimentation pup_event_frontend_d is now working, On the fly SFS modules loading now works. Also Im tried to apply enhancements came from puppy to make it more robust. Non-user reboot and shutdown now works without root password.

I will also try to released the base files with build scripts to those who are interested to build their own TazPup made from pristine Slitaz.

wiak

#25 Post by wiak »

mistfire wrote: I will also try to released the base files with build scripts to those who are interested to build their own TazPup made from pristine Slitaz.
Yes, very interested in this. Some older laptops getting dusty on the shelf and this should make a perfect OS for them.

Back to the good old Puppy days (okay so Slitaz, but as a project in terms of save persistence and sfs-handling and the boot mechanism, that's all Puppy advantages of course.

wiak

mistfire

#26 Post by mistfire »

In terms of lightweight linux approach. Nothing beats Barry's idea and Puppy is the best lightweight linux distro and can even build it from other distro.

darry19662018

#27 Post by darry19662018 »

Wow Mistfire,

Very nice indeed. Would like to see this support Puppy Universal Installer or own installer. Puppy installer when you select device to install to.

mistfire

#28 Post by mistfire »

@darry19662018 on my latest experiment of tazpup. Puppy Installer is now working. But I cant test the whole process because I dont have a powerful computer to perform such virtualization. I dont want to mess my real hardware. Im only have an intel atom powered netbook which I currently used to build TazPup as well as X-Slacko Slim.

The binary structure of Slitaz was very different from puppy. So I decided to run slitaz on top of puppy as pristine as possible. As of now very few files are modified on Slitaz side

darry19662018

#29 Post by darry19662018 »

Cool Mistfire

I look forward to trying whatever further is released.

foxpup

#30 Post by foxpup »

Hello mistfire
I am using tazpup-alpha3 now on a intel dualcore desktop. Booted fine, installed my keyboard. eth0 connection automatic. It works lightning fast!
I am in TazWeb browser. I don't know whethter it is different from midori.
I have tried Slitaz a long time ago, but found it a bit difficult to find my way then and it was not as gentle as Puppy for the very old hardware I had then. But this reminds me of how small and fast the old Puppies used to be. Thnx very much.
I just login as root. I got the habbit from Puppy and I really don't like that security stuff.

Could there be any reason I cannot boot it on my fairly new uefi i5 laptop?
I also do not manage to boot it from usb, not from the legacy desktop and not from the uefi laptop with legacy usb boot enabled. I used the command dd to put the image on a usb.

mistfire

#31 Post by mistfire »

@foxpup It might be on your bootloader thats why you cant boot on uefi.

You must format the flashdrive as fat32. install grub-efi on your flashdrive. Put the iso contents on it and configure the bootloader

Terry H

#32 Post by Terry H »

Fantastic job so far mistfire. It's looks really polished and is blazing fast.

Manual frugal install to a Sandisk 32 GB Ultra Fit Flash Drive, using UEFI boot Manager, Fat32 EFI Partition and an ext4 partition fo all data. Manually loaded intel 7265 wifi firmware. All working nicely. Having issues with saves.

Save to Folder:
Intitial save to folder works, however subsequent attempts to save subsequent sessions have failed. I have attempted charnging Save interval to 0, +0, 10, but on shutdown/reboot when i log in again any changes made in the recent session are not saved.

Save to file:
I also checked save to file. After booting in following creating an ext4 save file, when I close down again I get first shut down dialog again so can only create a new save file with different suffix.

smokey01

#33 Post by smokey01 »

I'm having similar problems to Terry H except I have made a frugal install to my internal SSD drive. It created a savefile but never loaded it at bootup.

I'm not familiar with SliTaz so I'm not sure what stanza to use.

It boots with the following:

Code: Select all

title TazPup A3
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /tazpupa3/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=tazpupa3
  initrd /tazpupa3/initrd.xz
I still haven't sorted the dual monitor problem. The current system only sees one of my two monitors. Does SilTaz have the nvidia propriety driver available?

Is there a devx available?

mistfire

#34 Post by mistfire »

@Terry triggering save session on slitaz shutdown was extremely painful in my head. Because when slitaz close X server it just restarts X. So the save session script must run while X is running then trigger slitaz shutdown.

@Smokey can you please send me the bootinit.log file which can be found at /initrd/tmp ? I will try to add debug mode on rc.shutdown script to trace the save session process. You may search nvidia driver property at http://packages.slitaz.org . I think devx sfs from slacko might work.

wiak

#35 Post by wiak »

Take your time with this mistfire. This is a new idea/project and there are lots of technical issues involved that are best worked on slowly and accurately. Goodness, its only been a few days so not the time to worry about devx yet! Truly bound to take time to get persistence/save file/folder issues worked out and an important piece of development so best to not rush it. Better to wait a few weeks and release something solid so users won't expect a perfect Pup at such an early stage. I haven't even tried it yet - I usually wait until it is clear to me the developer feels it is 'ready' for productive testing (unless I'm helping out with the main development, which I'm not in this case).

Of course, especially when it comes to the savefile issues, early test reports are certainly good and helpful in determining what is going on.

wiak