TazPuppy 5.0 rc2

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
s243a

#511 Post by s243a »

mistfire wrote:@s243a where do you find those post install scripts in slitaz package?
It was just an error that I noticed when installing the package...the error being that ldconfig was missing. We however, can extract one of the packages that I mentioned and look for the post install script.

mistfire

#512 Post by mistfire »

I make some fixes on puppy universal installer on flash memory installation. Suprisingly it works nice when I run tazpup on PUPMODE=13. But I will give a shot to set the periodic save to 1minute to see it works

mistfire

#513 Post by mistfire »

@s243a can you please provide me list of packages needed to form a devx sfs?

slackfan

#514 Post by slackfan »

you probably doesn't need devx stuff at all in SliTaz! SliTaz offers the needing tools. Try to use them in a live session if you refuse to add such ballast in your installation. In a typical Puppy frugal "install" without save file, terrible save files, it is no problem! You don't develop all the day each day?

slackfan

#515 Post by slackfan »

frugal install: hm, something is wrong in TazPup as in the most Puppy's:

leaving the session, you MUST :x answer the question if you want save or not!

people USING a save file have to do that ONE unique time and the question appears never more... if the default value for the question would be "not" they would, it is logic I think, change the value ONE unique time to select "yes".

people refusing the use of save file have to deselect the wrong value each time they leave TazPup (and the most of the other Puppies of course!)

It is a

DEMENT ...

as well as ruthless question with unlogic default value (in the most puppies :roll: but more as the rest of the system react as a real an complete SliTaz system: I mount what I need and save what I will as I will, probably where my full SliTaz install is!)

(The right way would be: a separate entry in the menu for "create a save file, active by leaving that session"! some rare puppies did effective have that!)

s243a

#516 Post by s243a »

slackfan wrote:frugal install: hm, something is wrong in TazPup as in the most Puppy's:

leaving the session, you MUST :x answer the question if you want save or not!

people USING a save file have to do that ONE unique time and the question appears never more... if the default value for the question would be "not" they would, it is logic I think, change the value ONE unique time to select "yes".

people refusing the use of save file have to deselect the wrong value each time they leave TazPup (and the most of the other Puppies of course!)

It is a

DEMENT ...

as well as ruthless question with unlogic default value (in the most puppies :roll: but more as the rest of the system react as a real an complete SliTaz system: I mount what I need and save what I will as I will, probably where my full SliTaz install is!)

(The right way would be: a separate entry in the menu for "create a save file, active by leaving that session"! some rare puppies did effective have that!)
You could boot up a system, set the event manager to never save, shut down and create a save file with almost no changes except for the event manager setting. It will work if your save file is on a USB but a better way to handle this would probably be with a boot flag.

mistfire

#517 Post by mistfire »

@slackfan having devx stuff provides convenience upon compiling or developing something especially in offline situation.

s243a

#518 Post by s243a »

mistfire wrote:@s243a can you please provide me list of packages needed to form a devx sfs?
Hello mistfire,

I need to know which version of gcc you want, There are several options in TazPkg manager. Using the oldest one would be the simplest. However, if we are compiling newer packages then we may need a later version of gcc. However, if we use a later version of gcc we may need to create a symbolic link or wrapper, that points gcc to the later version of gcc (e.g. gcc63).

Anyway, I found that my TazFatener had a list of too many packages to be easily manageable. So what I did was added code to it that lists all the reverse dependencies of each package, which I used to get a list of development packages that had no revere dependencies.

My modified script can be found at:
https://pastebin.com/4sWBpsHa

the output is a directory for each package. In this directory there is a file called flag and if it has one of the following flags, ""Id"|"id"|"d"|"L_id"" then it is considered a development package.

I created a second script to read these directories and create a list of top level development packages with descriptions. This list with descriptions is attached (fake .gz extension).
https://pastebin.com/E8sMP9d1

If one installs these packages they will get all the other packages that I flagged as development packages as dependencies. These packages are:

Code: Select all

Qt4-dev, autoconf, automake, automoc4, binutils, busybox-httpd-ctrl, cgdb, cmake, commoncpp2,
commoncpp2-dev, cookutils, cpp2, cppunit, cppunit-dev, dbus-glib-dev, gcc+gcj, gcc63, gcc63-lib-base, gdb, gdb-python, gdbm-dev, geany-dev, gettext, gettext-base, gettext-tools, glib-dev, glib-networking-dev, glibc-dev, glibmm-dev, gmpc, gmpc-dev, gobject-introspection-dev, gtk+-dev, gtk+3-dev, gtk-girepository, pygobject3 apps
gtkmm-dev, intltool, jsoncpp, libcrypto-dev, libcurl, libffi, libgcrypt-dev, 
libgee-dev, libgio-dev, libgiomm-dev, libid3tag, libmagic-dev, libtool, libxcb-dev, libxml2-python, linux-module-headers, linuxdcpp, lz4-dev, lzo-dev, make, makeself, mpc, mpc-library, ncmpc, ncmpcpp, pango, patch, patchelf, perl-extutils-pkgconfig, perl-locale-gettext, perl-maketext-gettext, pixman-dev, pkg-config, pygobject-dev, pygtk-dev, python-docutils, python-idle, python-magic, python-pyxml, python-simplejson, python-xmlutils, qmake, qtconfig, rake, ruby, ruby-pkgconfig, slitaz-toolchain           , taglib, uclibc-cross-compiler-x86_64, vala, xfmpc, xorg-libX11-dev, xorg-libXext-dev 
Note that some post install scripts require glibc-dev, so install that one before these packages. In tazpkg there is a --root option that lets you install the package to a different directory then the main root. Perhaps we can use this --root option as part of buildling of devx.

You may want to trim the list down, since I know you are aiming for a super small spec system. I'm working on systems with about 1gb of ram and the above list of packages is light enough for my system. Be warned thought that if you trim my list you may lose an important dependency that isn't shown on the list.
Attachments
top_DevX_packages.gz
(5.15 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
Last edited by s243a on Tue 19 Jun 2018, 02:02, edited 1 time in total.

s243a

#519 Post by s243a »

As a side note, I developed / tested the scripts in my previous post in a chroot enviornment running under tahrpup

#!/bin/bash
# Exctract the basesfs from the ISO
# Copy the zdrive into the base sfs
# cp -a -u etc /mnt/sdc6/TazPup/etc
# cp -a -u lib /mnt/sdc6/TazPup/lib
#Rename the dev folder in case it's needed and create a new empty dev folder.
ROOT='/mnt/sdc6/TazPup/'
INIT_ROOT=true
cd "$ROOT"
if [ $INIT_ROOT == true ]; then 
   mount -t proc proc proc/
   mount --rbind /sys sys/
   mount --rbind /dev dev/
   cp /etc/resolv.conf etc/resolv.conf
fi

#symlink run to tmp
#ln -s ./tmp .run

chroot "$ROOT" /bin/bash
I have many computers running TazPup but I didn't want to install TazPup on this one so I tried the chroot approach. The chroot environment worked for TazPkg but I have no idea what other programs it may or may not work for.

greengeek

#520 Post by greengeek »

slackfan wrote:people refusing the use of save file have to deselect the wrong value each time they leave TazPup (and the most of the other Puppies of course!)

It is a

DEMENT ...
Agreed. Too much emphasis on using savefiles. It was great in the old days - but not so good now when we know there is so much malware that we do not want to save. Saving changes to system files is risky.

No saving should be the default.

s243a

#521 Post by s243a »

On another note, if you copy and paste my scripts from pastebin into a new file I think it is okay, but if you hit the download button then you have to convert the line endings. In geany this is in "Document Menu" -> "Set LIne Endings" -> "Convert and set to LF (Unix)"

It's too bad that pastebin isn't smart enough to know that Unix style line endings should be the default for bash scripts.

mikeslr

The Save Default

#522 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

How Puppy's Save is not a problem.

Although on Shut-down when provided a choice to "Save" or "No Save", the default "Save" button is the default choice so that pressing Enter/Return will execute a Save, the default procedure is "No Save". Do nothing --or walk away-- and after 60 seconds Puppy shuts down without Saving. And that's under Pupmode 12.

But even when my Puppy is located on a hard-drive, I follow the procedure to run it under Pupmode 13 (as if it were on a USB-Stick): (1) on newer Puppies just change the grub4dos's menu.lst boot argument "pmedia=atahd" to "pmedia=ataflash", and then Menu>System>Puppy Event Manager>Save Session Tab>set Save interval to 0/zero. As Puppy is then configured only to Save when a manual command to do so is executed, I can literally and safely turn Puppy off by "pulling the plug".

A procedure to so run Puppies pre-dates jpeps' post 6 years ago. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 326#662326.

There are, however, two actual problems. The first is getting people to read important posts, even when designated as "stickies". The second is getting Devs to rework grub4dos and Puppies so that the former automatically treats hard-drives as USB-Sticks, and the latter has the default Save Session Interval set to zero.

mikesLr

thinkpadfreak

#523 Post by thinkpadfreak »

Hello.
Taspup has been discussed recently in Puppy Linux Japanese Forum.

I've run Alpha 13 and 14 recently, and I noticed that when they are installed to a usb memory stick, the behavior of saving seems to be incomplete.

For example, the settings of midori are lost and some of the folders/files I create disappear on reboot.

filesystem of the usb stick ... fat32
filesystem within the save file ... ext2
boot loader ... grub4dos

I wonder if there is anything wrong with the environment above.

Regards.

s243a

#524 Post by s243a »

thinkpadfreak wrote:Hello.
Taspup has been discussed recently in Puppy Linux Japanese Forum.

I've run Alpha 13 and 14 recently, and I noticed that when they are installed to a usb memory stick, the behavior of saving seems to be incomplete.

For example, the settings of midori are lost and some of the folders/files I create disappear on reboot.

filesystem of the usb stick ... fat32
filesystem within the save file ... ext2
boot loader ... grub4dos

I wonder if there is anything wrong with the environment above.

Regards.
I only tried save folders both on USB and hard drive. However, you can try saving with either:

ash -x /usr/sbin/snapmergepuppy
or

bash -x /usr/sbin/snapmergepuppy
and tell us what errors you get. For this to work you'll have to have puppy started with a save file or folder created from a previous shutdown. Note that this isn't applicable if you are using a save folder on a hard drive (with default boot parameters), since in that case the folder is directly mounted.

You will know that puppy is started with either a save file or folder because you should see something in your file system something called /mnt/home.

Anyway, if you don't wish to try troubleshooting, then someone (e.g. me or mistfire) may shortly try running TazPup with your setup and troubleshooting the issue.

P.S. It looks like snapmergepuppy still has ash as the shebang. This was an issue on previous versions of TazPup. I'm not sure if it is still an issue:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 335#994335
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 022#994022

s243a

#525 Post by s243a »

Are there any tools to make the screen brighter? On a laptop I have, i can't see any button to make the screen brighter on the keyboard.

Terry H

#526 Post by Terry H »

s243a wrote:Are there any tools to make the screen brighter? On a laptop I have, i can't see any button to make the screen brighter on the keyboard.
On my Dell laptop, the F11 & F12 keys do work for brightness.

thinkpadfreak

#527 Post by thinkpadfreak »

s243a wrote:
> I only tried save folders both on USB and hard drive. However, you can try saving with either:
> Code:
> ash -x /usr/sbin/snapmergepuppy
> or
> Code:
> bash -x /usr/sbin/snapmergepuppy

Thank you for responding.

Both the commands you suggested appear to have been executed normally.
Actually, the lines are too many, and I cannot see all the lines.

But I see the message:
tail: cannon open '+2' for reading: No such file or directory
at shutdown.

I placed a script in /etc/profile.d, which goes like this:

#!/bin/sh
cd /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio4/serio5
echo -n 120 > speed
echo -n 240 > sensitivity

cd /root
echo 2 > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness
This script is for setting the sensitivity of the mouse and the brightness of the display. The script disappears on reboot, and takes no effect.

When TazPup is installed to a hard drive (frugal install with a save file), the script does not disappear, and those values are set as expected.

s243a

#528 Post by s243a »

thinkpadfreak

#529 Post by thinkpadfreak »

s243a wrote:
> I think that "tail +2" isn't as universal, and that "tail -n +2" should be used for greater compatibility.

I opened snapmergepuppy and replaced "tail +2" with "tail -n +2".

This seems to have fixed the problem.

I no longer see the message at shutdown:
tail: cannon open '+2' for reading: No such file or directory

After reboot, there remain the changes I made in the previous session. Thank you.

wiak

#530 Post by wiak »

thinkpadfreak wrote:s243a wrote:
> I think that "tail +2" isn't as universal, and that "tail -n +2" should be used for greater compatibility.
tail +N is an old syntax, but busybox tail still supports it; and I thought Slitaz included busybox and snapmergepuppy calls 'busybox tail +2', which should work, unless someone has removed the reference to busybox, which is the mistake really.

But if not using busybox tail, then, yes, tail -n +N would work with any current version of tail (including that in busybox as it happens).

Main thing I'd suggest is that if you have busybox on your system and your script has been written to use busybox then don't change the script or you may well end up with these odd effects, and not only for tail command.

wiak