TazPuppy 5.0 rc2

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
greengeek

#616 Post by greengeek »

Can't seem to get wifi working. If I select setup and wifi configuration - then enter "root" as password nothing happens. Did I forget how to use this??
cheers!

foxpup

#617 Post by foxpup »

greengeek wrote:Can't seem to get wifi working. If I select setup and wifi configuration - then enter "root" as password nothing happens. Did I forget how to use this??
cheers!
Same here. I tried to set it up from the slitaz config tool, my wifi is found, but no connection.
The wifi-config does not work; this in terminal:
sh-4.4# tazbox su wifi-box
/usr/bin/tazbox: line 837: /usr/bin/wifi-box: Permission denied
/usr/bin/tazbox: line 837: exec: /usr/bin/wifi-box: cannot execute: Permission denied
I had no pupsave in beta 2, as others reported. This has been solved in beta 3.

s243a

#618 Post by s243a »

I was looking for the kenal sources for a slightly older version of TazPup. I found my kernal version at:
http://smokey01.com/huge_kernel/4.17.0/

I'm not sure if it is compatible or not with tazpup.

Edit

Just as some background, previously I was looking for the kernal sources for the virtual-box guest additions. Currently, I'm trying to compile Tor. According to one of the comments in the c file limits.h was supposed to be part of the kernal sources. I found it at the following path:

/usr/src/linux/usr/include/linux

I added the following environmental variable:

Code: Select all

export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include -I/usr/src/linux/usr/include"

Terry H

#619 Post by Terry H »

foxpup wrote:
greengeek wrote:Can't seem to get wifi working. If I select setup and wifi configuration - then enter "root" as password nothing happens. Did I forget how to use this??
cheers!
Same here. I tried to set it up from the slitaz config tool, my wifi is found, but no connection.
The wifi-config does not work; this in terminal:
sh-4.4# tazbox su wifi-box
/usr/bin/tazbox: line 837: /usr/bin/wifi-box: Permission denied
/usr/bin/tazbox: line 837: exec: /usr/bin/wifi-box: cannot execute: Permission denied
I had no pupsave in beta 2, as others reported. This has been solved in beta 3.

On a new frugal install this morning, I was having the same issue, Setup >Wifi configuration is not being run after entering root password.

If you click on the tray network icon, then click "Configure" button, then enter root password, this will bring up TazPanel, which will allow the network configuration to be completed.

Terry H

#620 Post by Terry H »

New frugal install of Beta 3 to USB Flash drive using UEFI. Apart from the network config workaround being required, all is working well. Date/Time setting is OK. New Save Folder successfully created. System update,er 78 packages were updated, I noticed a couple of missing dependencies, were identified and installed by the Package Manager.

So thanks again mistfire. Well done, an excellent puppy.

greengeek

#621 Post by greengeek »

Terry H wrote:If you click on the tray network icon, then click "Configure" button, then enter root password, this will bring up TazPanel, which will allow the network configuration to be completed.
Thanks for the tip. That did allow my wifi to connect (posting from it now) - although the network icon still seems to be showing non-connection (unless that is just the ethernet icon?)

mistfire

#622 Post by mistfire »

TazPuppy Beta 4 release

Changes:
* fix on file permission on wifi-box
* pkeys cheatcode now working (works since beta 3, sorry I forgot to announce)

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tcnOU_ ... sp=sharing

Build kit: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1T7KHZS ... sp=sharing

NOTE:
For beta 3, to fix wifi-box problem that does not run. Just login as root and set file permission of wifi-box to 777 using this command

chmod 777 /usr/bin/wifi-box
Last edited by mistfire on Thu 13 Sep 2018, 05:41, edited 1 time in total.

mistfire

#623 Post by mistfire »

s243a wrote:I was looking for the kenal sources for a slightly older version of TazPup. I found my kernal version at:
http://smokey01.com/huge_kernel/4.17.0/

I'm not sure if it is compatible or not with tazpup.

Edit

Just as some background, previously I was looking for the kernal sources for the virtual-box guest additions. Currently, I'm trying to compile Tor. According to one of the comments in the c file limits.h was supposed to be part of the kernal sources. I found it at the following path:

/usr/src/linux/usr/include/linux

I added the following environmental variable:

Yes it is still compatible

s243a

#624 Post by s243a »

I compiled the latest standlone stable release of Tor for Tazpup

Downloads
tor-0.3.4.8-i686.tgz
tor-0.3.4.8-i686.tgz.tazpkg
**Note, I created the user and group tor on my system both with the id "220"

See notes on other thread:
Tor Standalone for TazPup (Some notes on compiling)
Last edited by s243a on Fri 14 Sep 2018, 08:23, edited 1 time in total.

greengeek

#625 Post by greengeek »

Latest version looking pretty good - wifi config now working.

I could do with some help making changes to the main Tazpup.sfs as I only plan to run tazpup "live" - with no persistence.

I don't like "tap-to-click" being on as a default so I turned it off by using a urxvt terminal to enter the following command:

#synclient MaxTapTime=0

Then I tried to create a new tazpup.sfs containing this change permanently. I copied the file puppy_tazpup_5.0.sfs from CD to /home/tux and entering the following command:
unsquashfs /home/tux/puppy_tazpup_5.0.sfs and it created a "squashfs-root" directory but also threw up a whole bunch of errors such as the following:

create_inode: could not create character device squashfs-root/dev/vcsa3, because you're not superuser!
create_inode: could not create character device squashfs-root/dev/vcsa4, because you're not superuser!
create_inode: could not create character device squashfs-root/dev/vcsa5, because you're not superuser!
create_inode: could not create character device squashfs-root/dev/vcsa6, because you're not superuser!
create_inode: could not create character device squashfs-root/dev/vcsa7, because you're not superuser!
Then I tried to find the synclient config file within the squashfs-root directory but no success.

I may have asked this before - but can anyone explain how I can correctly unsquash the main tazpup.sfs, modify the synclient settings, resquash the tazpup.sfs and reburn the CD containing the updated main sfs please? (maybe even a tutorial in a separate thread?)

I feel Tazpup is getting very close to the state where I could use it live from CD as long as I know how to lock in some personalisations onto the CD without installing to disk.

cheers!

musher0

#626 Post by musher0 »

Hi greengeek.

Unsquash / resquash are easy to do from command line. (Sorry in advance
if you already know this.)

0) Don't forget to make back-ups before you begin? :)

1) find a free partition where you have enough room, approx. 3-4 times
the size of the sfs,

2) copy the tazpup sfs there

3) open a terminal there and

4) type:

unsquashfs -d puppy_tazpup_5.0 puppy_tazpup_5.0.sfs
This creates a directory bearing the name of the sfs.
(Note: I had no errors.)

5) Now you have an uncompressed copy. You do your changes inside the copy.

man synclient
indicates:
Files
/etc/X11/xorg.conf
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4
6) To resquash after your changes are done, the usual one-liner is:

mksquashfs puppy_tazpup_5.0 puppy_tazpup_5.0.sfs -noappend -all-root -comp xz
Notes: i) The above line will overwrite your original sfs.
ii) In my test, the sfs it resquashed was 2 Mb's bigger than the original,
although I did not change anything.

7) Then you copy this edited sfs to the main tazpup directory or
incorporate it into a new iso with ISOMaster for re-creation.

IHTH.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

greengeek

#627 Post by greengeek »

musher0 wrote:1) find a free partition where you have enough room, approx. 3-4 times the size of the sfs,

Thanks musher0 - when i usually unsquashfs/mksquashfs puppy sfs it has been my habit to keep the sfs in /root as i have all of my disks unmounted during such operations (in other words I do all of my sfs rebuilds in RAM only). Do you think this method is the source of my Tazpup unsquash errors?

Is Tazpup handling /home/taz differently to the way puppy handles /root?

Do you think I should use my normal puppy to do the unsquash/mksquash rather than trying to do it from within a running Tazpup?

cheers!

mistfire

#628 Post by mistfire »

@greengeek in order to modify puppy sfs files in TazPuppy, you must need a root permission by logging in to root account. All you have to do was logout and login as root (default pasword: root). Tux is just a user account not a root account. @musher0 procedure is correct but applicable only to root account.

TazPuppy is a true multiuser linux distro like other major linux distro.

musher0

#629 Post by musher0 »

(Numbered for ease of reply)
greengeek wrote:
musher0 wrote:1) find a free partition where you have enough room, approx. 3-4 times the size of the sfs,

Thanks musher0 - when i usually unsquashfs/mksquashfs puppy sfs it has been my habit to keep the sfs in /root as i have all of my disks unmounted (2a) during such operations (in other words I do all of my sfs rebuilds in RAM only) (2b). Do you think this method is the source of my Tazpup unsquash errors?

3) Is Tazpup handling /home/taz differently to the way puppy handles /root?

4) Do you think I should use my normal puppy to do the unsquash/mksquash rather than trying to do it from within a running Tazpup?

cheers!
Hi greengeek.

First, thanks to mistfire for the remark concerning users in tazpup.

Keeping in mind his remark, I'll try to answer your new questions.
~~~

1-2) I prefer to work from a copy because I'm a cluts! This way if I
make a blunder, no harm is done to the main Puppy.

If you are not a cluts ;), you can unsquash and edit the main sfs of any
Puppy in said Puppy anywhere. But never attempt to resquash over a
running Puppy sfs, you will get into big trouble. (I know this from
experience!)

~~~

2a) Other partitions mounted / unmounted do not matter. mksquashfs is
a very solid and much tested app: it is not known to leak memory or to
syphon bytes from anywhere.
~~~

2b) RAM copy vs disk copy does not matter per se, although it is well
known that working entirely in RAM is faster.
~~~

3) If you need add'l info about "user tux" vs "user root", please ask
mistfire. I've always worked as "root", so I can't help you with that.
~~~

4) Do the resquashing and the final replacement of the old sfs with the
edited sfs from another Puppy.

Really another Pup, because even if you boot a pristine tazpup without
a save file or folder, it is the main tazpup sfs you are replacing, so
there is no way around it: you have to replace it from another Pup or
Linux. (Same goes for resquashing any Puppy.)

Exception -- If you have only one pup, you can do it if you boot from
CD
with the "pfix=ram" setting and replace its main sfs on HD.
Because technically, that will not be exactly the same Pup: the main Pup
sfs on CD is active whereas the main Pup sfs on HD is inactive.
(Needless to say: after this replacement is done, you have to reboot
from HD with the edited main pup sfs. I hope this is clear.)
~~~

IHTH.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~

mistfire

#630 Post by mistfire »

@musher0 if you want a smaller sfs file aside from setting the comp to xz, set the block size to 1M on mksquashfs. Take note using 1M block size tooks a long time to compress so be patient

s243a

#631 Post by s243a »

I'm not sure if we do it or not in the devX, but I wonder if we should be including a few things from the kernal sources like limits.h into the devX package. Even the python tools pip and easy_install won't work right if this c header can't be found in the cpp (c pre processor) search path.

As I mentioned in my previous post the cpp expents to find it at ./linux/limits.h where "." is one of the directories included in the cpp search path. In my previous post I did this by modifying the CPPFLAGS from where it apeared due to mounting the kernal sources:

however, we could probably simply just copy this file to /usr/include/linux and then it wouldn't depend on someone having the kernal sources mounted.

mistfire

#632 Post by mistfire »

Hello can you please test the On-Demand Features in TazPuppy?

s243a

#633 Post by s243a »

mistfire wrote:Hello can you please test the On-Demand Features in TazPuppy?
What are the On-Demand features?

Terry H

#634 Post by Terry H »

mistfire wrote:Hello can you please test the On-Demand Features in TazPuppy?
I saw this feature the other day and had been intending to try it. I just ran a few tests. System Tools > On-Demand Features

When clicked on as Tux, brings up root password prompt, but nothing happens, so presumed security error.

When run from terminal as Tux, same thing, prompt for root password, then security error shown. It can't be run with sudo, as gives security error for user Tux.

When run from terminal following 'su', the selection list is displayed and will install applications. I also was able to run following gksu pcmanfm and then clicking '/usr/bin/tazpup-ondemand'

The issue I had is that it doesn't identify what is going to be installed, it's a Lucky Dip.

i.e. Full Media Player

i.e. Email Client

You have to run it to know what is going to be installed.

I installed Email Client, it appears to have successfully installed Thunderbird. The problem I had is that so many errors flashed by so quickly on the terminal, I don't know what happened, the errors were related to getcwd. I couldn't finde getcwd in Package Manager. Thunderbird seems to be functioning OK, email account successfully accessed.

I installed Full Media Player. VLC was installed, only tested playing mp3. Don't have any videos on laptop to check.

I attempted to install IM Client and IRC Client at same time. Everything in the terminal flashed by so quick I'm not sure what was attempted to be installed. Pidgin IM Client appears to be successfully installed. I have no idea what the IRC Client may have been.

I rebooted without saving and then installed IRC Client individually. I saw that it was installing xchat. Application runs when clicked, can't advise any further.

musher0

#635 Post by musher0 »

Hello mistfire and all.

I could not find the devx for tazpup. Where is it, please?

TIA.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~