Using extrasfs in Fatdog64 721 boot parameters [SOLVED]

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Uten

Using extrasfs in Fatdog64 721 boot parameters [SOLVED]

#1 Post by Uten »

I\m new to extrasfs. The last time I tried it I did not get it to work and then I forgot about it.
But as It happens I'm preparing a seminar on linux for the local MakerSpace. As PuppyLinux is the best entry level system I have come across. And the fact that it seems to "just work" on anything you throw it at. I would like to use it as the foundation for the seminar.

Among the flavors Fatdog64 is my favorite at the moment. Personally I always use frugal mode and dont mind doing the few configurations I need to do to get keyboard, wifi and the latest firefox up and running.

To a spoiled windows user in automatic mode ( and a new computer every second year because the computer gets slow *grin* ) a system that was frugal but ready configured with the right keyboard, the latest firefox/java, and help scrren open at boot, would be ideal.

We can achive this by using the extrasfs parameter at boot time, exept for a few snags.

Code: Select all

/dev/sdb2 on /tmp/extrasfs/mnt/1 type ext2 (ro,relatime,block_validity,barrier,user_xattr)
The extrasfs functionality loads the disk read only. And I'm not able to mount it read-write afterwards, unless I unload the sfs's and unmount the disk.

My grub2 menuentry:

menuentry "/isos/Fatdog64-721.iso med devx.sfs" {
	search --set=isoroot --fs-uuid 2a0d270d-38d3-45e7-bda8-bf02d4232a2f

set isofile=/isos/Fatdog64-721.iso
	echo "loopback:=(${isoroot})${isofile}"
	loopback loop (${isoroot})${isofile}
	linux (loop)/vmlinuz rootfstype=ramfs savefile=none extrasfs=uuid:2a0d270d-38d3-45e7-bda8-bf02d4232a2f:/fd64-721/fd64-devx_721.sfs
	initrd (loop)/initrd	
}

Loading a personal.sfs with my settings and firefox-link-to-current.sfs woorks great. So if I could get passed the readonly mount I would be in bussiness, as they say 8)

Note: oading the devx with extrasfs messes up my (root/spoot) home area. ( can not load Seamonkey and other similar stuff ).

Anyone have experiences they could share? Good or bad, does not matter.

Do I go about this the wrong way? Is there better solutions? I did look for @RSH's LazY pupp, which I think did something along the gate of what I want, but @RSH has been quiet for some years and Lazy pup's web page is advertising pokemon.

tc
Uten
Last edited by Uten on Tue 01 May 2018, 15:01, edited 1 time in total.

drunkjedi

#2 Post by drunkjedi »

If entire partition is loaded as extrasfs, I don't think you can make it read/write, as in aufs stack only top most layer can be R/W, which is your savefile/folder. (I have not tested loading this, will try and report back).

I am not that knowledgeable, so I may be interpreting your need wrongly.
Are you saying that you load your settings.sfs and firefox.sfs as extrasfs and the partition that they are in mounts as read only?
I never hsd any problem like this.
Try posting in Fatdog's thread, you may get more replies.

I load devx and 32bit sfs as extra sfs and I copy them in ram.
I never had any problems with them messing with my root/spot home area.
I have never used grub2 so I can't comment on that one either.
Here's my boot parameters list from extlinux config file.

rootfstype=ramfs waitdev=0 basesfs=expand:device:sda7:/FD64-721/fd64.sfs savefile=ram:device:sda7:/fd64save extrasfs=ram:/mnt/home/fd64-devx_721.sfs,ram:/mnt/home/32bit-fd64_721.sfs

nic007

#3 Post by nic007 »

Fatdog is not Puppy as far as I know??????

Uten

#4 Post by Uten »

@drunkenjedi: Thanks for posting your boot line. The ram: parameter did the trick. When used the disk the sfs is located on is unloaded after the sfs is loaded. and as a result it can be mounted again in the regular fashion.

@nic007: :lol: :lol: Puppies can be fatdog's to.