Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 16 Oct 2018, 01:31
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Kernel Performance Benchmarks
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]  
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sun 06 May 2018, 12:45    Post subject:  Kernel Performance Benchmarks
Subject description: Feedback encouraged

Hi All,

There have been a couple of posts suggesting that on older hardware employing the 4.1.30 Kernel provided superior responsiveness to both the 3.14 (+/-) kernel which had been used in Puppies published a couple years ago (Tahrpup/Slacko) and the 4.9 Kernel used in Puppies published more recently. For all I know, those reports are anecdotal, i.e, "On my system, I've got this feeling." So I wondered if there was anyway to actually run tests to make such comparison. Searching for an application, I stumbled upon these posts from phoronix:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-317-416&num=1
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-39-49&num=6
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux416-44-ryzen&num=1

A couple of things to note "off the bat". The computers employed were far more powerful that the “consumer-grade” you can expect from Puppy refugees. I would assume a consumer grade computer of 5 years ago -- say an i3 with 4 Gbs of RAM and a Sata hard-drive-- would show an appreciable difference in performances, but can't guess how the difference would manifest itself over all tests.

The operating systems used by the author in all tests were Ubuntus. Those OSes are designed to use RAM and "Storage" as a unified system, unlike a Frugal Puppy's "Merge-file-system" which operates in RAM, only writing to "Storage" occasionally or on demand depending on Save-Session Settings. Consequently, I think the most probative tests for Puppies would be those which are RAM intensive. I'm not familiar with what system operations all of the test run were actually testing.

Although I have an impression of what those tests may be suggesting regarding what may be 'general purpose' kernels for use in Puppies, rather than muddy the waters, comments by those more qualified are encouraged.

One thing I would mention, however. In the last test of the series some tests could not be run under newer kernels and the latest version of Ubuntu. As Puppy's niche is to provide a full-service operating system for older computers, I would recommend continued support for older kernels and older Puppy versions.

mikesLr
Page 1 of 1 [1 Post]  
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to: