Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 18 Jun 2018, 00:22
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
How do I modify ROX detail columns?[SOLVED]
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 2 [21 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Puppyt

PostPosted: Wed 09 May 2018, 05:30    Post subject:  How do I modify ROX detail columns?[SOLVED]
Subject description: Removing unneeded details

I have a few personal gripes with rox that after years of use I haven't stumbled over a workable solution - how to remove file detail columns I have absolutely no interest in.
I can't stand "icon view" as a general rule, but even rox's default detail view configuration has a lot to be desired - how to change the configuration in the way I have scribbled below - removing entirely useless categories of "Permissions", "Group" and "Owner". I mean, they are useless to my purposes, at least. There is probably an instruction somewhere on the forums, the Rox "Help" document is of no assistance. Can somebody please point me in the right direction,
Thanks in Advance
reorder rox details.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   38.63 KB
 Viewed   322 Time(s)

reorder rox details.jpg

Last edited by Puppyt on Mon 14 May 2018, 00:20; edited 1 time in total
april

PostPosted: Wed 09 May 2018, 05:49    Post subject:  

Might help
http://rox.sourceforge.net

file:///usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/Help/Manual.html
rufwoof

PostPosted: Wed 09 May 2018, 10:57    Post subject:  

Other than recompiling to specifically edit/exclude those columns I don't think it can be configured. You can rearrange the order in which columns are presented by left mouse click/drag the column title to the position where you'd like it displayed so you could move the owner, group, permissions columns to the far right. I suspect you'd also have to configure rox to remember/inherit those settings for all of its windows.
capture17601.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   35.26 KB
 Viewed   269 Time(s)

capture17601.jpg

april

PostPosted: Wed 09 May 2018, 17:31    Post subject:  

Left clicking and dragging does not work for me in xenialpup64 7.5
oldaolgeezer

PostPosted: Wed 09 May 2018, 21:18    Post subject: How do I modify ROX detail columns?
Subject description: hints from the past .....

I too have wished for an ability to reorder or even hide or delete some ROX filer columns.

My only hint is to offer a few posts from the past:

ROX-Filer Modification:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=57166

and

The "move a column" rox filer trick:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=916290#916290

perhaps a more knowledgeable person can glean a method from these posts.

(I also thought that while I was testing one of the newer versions
of Puppy Linux, it was possible to drag a ROX filer column,
but now I can not remember which of the newer Puppies I was trying.)
Puppyt

PostPosted: Wed 09 May 2018, 23:55    Post subject:  

Thank you all very much for your replies - column shifting works in rox in radky's Dpup Stretch 7.5, but not in TahrPup64, nor in Wary5.5 that I've had a quick comparison with. My guess is, that some rox settings are locked up in various versions of Puppy. I'm still investigating, but thanks very much for the links Smile

UPDATE: Thanks oldaolgeezer for reminding me of the thread What do you think about Rox? - lost track of that one a few months after it started up. step certainly hit the nail on the head - thank you indeed for that link! Just done a quick survey of my frugal installs - rox column changes working in TahrPup32 6.0.6 and FatDog64(710), but not in XenialPup64(707) nor TahrPup64 (dunno version - I've got some issues with my usr/lib64 folder, apparently). Saw that my query was echoed (and so much more clearly) there many times. Apologies for starting a new thread when I should really have posted there...

EDIT: Re nail on the head
step wrote:
Re: rox columns and horizontal scrollbar
The "move a column" rox trick works only if the source was patched and compiled with that specific feature. Not many puppies do. I know Fatdog64-702 does. So does jun7's rox fork.
jun7's also resizes columns automatically, in details view. But still it isn't a horizontal scrollbar, and some people find window auto-resizing annoying.

Last edited by Puppyt on Thu 10 May 2018, 02:04; edited 1 time in total
davids45

PostPosted: Thu 10 May 2018, 00:39    Post subject: Rox-filer in Slacko-5.7 & 5.7.1
Subject description: Also has the better column options

G'day puppyt,

Your post about the annoying inflexibility of recent Rox versions jogged a memory that some older Slackos (and/or 01micko) had introduced a superior version of Rox where the column lay out could be arranged to suit the user.

I couldn't find the original thread where this fix was discussed but in checking my older Slackos, I have found 5.7 and 5.7.1 have the better Rox.
In 5.7.1, I could down load a 397kB pet of its Rox-Filer (5.7 wanted to only install it which wasn't quite the idea).

I'm not sure how replacing the poorer Roxes with this Slacko pet will go in recent 32-bit Pups but I should give it a try.

Hopefully, the woof-CE developers could let us know if an upgrade is easy to apply to the Rox in Puppies that lack this user-convenience.

David S,
Rox-Slacko571.jpg
 Description   Rox displaying /root in slacko-5.7.1 with its columns shifted by cursor-dragging+dropping
 Filesize   47.48 KB
 Viewed   212 Time(s)

Rox-Slacko571.jpg

Puppyt

PostPosted: Thu 10 May 2018, 02:22    Post subject:  

Thanks davids45 - I think that your suggestion is certainly worth a try. I note that the jun7 fork of Rox-filer mentioned in the other thread has been recently updated on github https://github.com/jun7/rox-filer - I haven't the wherewithall to test/compile a github project - perhaps it is easy to do, I've never tried...
anewuser

PostPosted: Fri 11 May 2018, 17:35    Post subject: Re: How do I modify ROX detail columns?
Subject description: Removing unneeded details

Puppyt wrote:
I have a few personal gripes with rox that after years of use I haven't stumbled over a workable solution - how to remove file detail columns I have absolutely no interest in.
I can't stand "icon view" as a general rule, but even rox's default detail view configuration has a lot to be desired - how to change the configuration in the way I have scribbled below - removing entirely useless categories of "Permissions", "Group" and "Owner". I mean, they are useless to my purposes, at least. There is probably an instruction somewhere on the forums, the Rox "Help" document is of no assistance. Can somebody please point me in the right direction,
Thanks in Advance

I absolutely agree with you on all those points.
davids45

PostPosted: Fri 11 May 2018, 19:03    Post subject: My Xenial-7.5 has the better Rox
Subject description: But not Artful or Bionic Pups

G'day,

Just to muddy the waters of the Rox pool a bit more, I found my Xenial Pup (7.5) has the user-friendly Rox but my recently added Artful, Bionic and LXSc Pups don't.
(Update: columns can be moved in Xenial's Rox but revert to the initial layout on closing Rox Sad - at least the default "Date Modified" column is 'close handy' and not right off the window as in the rigid Roxes Smile .)

So it seems the particular developer is 'choosing' which Rox version ends up in their Pup. I suspect this is not a deliberate choice, just part of a normal practice (Woof-related?).

Basically, Rox works well in all Pups - it is just the small inconvenience for the user to not be able to configure Rox columns to be more practical for the user. I do agree with the gist of puppyt's last post.

I haven't yet been able to try replacing a rigid Rox with a flexible Rox - I feel it will be tricky to install a possibly good Rox pet over the running inflexible Rox version which is needed to do the installation to replace itself?

David S.

Last edited by davids45 on Fri 11 May 2018, 20:03; edited 1 time in total
rufwoof

PostPosted: Fri 11 May 2018, 19:19    Post subject:  

Puppyt wrote:
Thanks davids45 - I think that your suggestion is certainly worth a try. I note that the jun7 fork of Rox-filer mentioned in the other thread has been recently updated on github https://github.com/jun7/rox-filer - I haven't the wherewithall to test/compile a github project - perhaps it is easy to do, I've never tried...

I downloaded that as a zip download choice, extracted it, loaded the DevX for the 'pup' I used and followed the instruction of basically change dir into that extracted folder and run ./ROX-Filer/AppRun It built fine and up came a rox window, but that doesn't support rearranging the columns either ... and has a 'Running as Root' title in each rox window.
proebler

PostPosted: Sun 13 May 2018, 06:30    Post subject:  

1. extract ROX-Filer from the attached ROX-Filer_movable_columns.fixed.tar.gz
2. “Look Inside” (open) /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer
3. rename /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/ROX-Filer > RROX-Filer
4. copy in the extracted ROX-Filer to /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/
5. restart X server

You should now be able to rearrange the columns .
Checked that it works in UPup_Bionic_Beaver_18.05 ok.
regards
proebler
ROX-Filer_movable_columns.fixed.tar.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  ROX-Filer_movable_columns.fixed.tar.gz 
Filesize  226.61 KB 
Downloaded  25 Time(s) 
Puppyt

PostPosted: Sun 13 May 2018, 19:03    Post subject:  

Hi proebler, thanks for your suggestion, but I'm afraid that's it a 'negative' for use with my TahrPup64 6.0.6. I followed your instructions and when I copied your modified Rox-filer across into /usr/local/apps after renaming the older file for backup, received the inverted triangle "!" warning icon beside your new /usr/local/apps/Rox-filer. On restarting X I have lost the pinboard and have no Rox functionality from the menus, pmount etc. Many thanks for your input, but it might only work for Upup Bionic?

@ rufwoof - thank you for going through those motions and testing out the column rearrangement for the jun7 fork. I must have an overriding problem in my setup, as when I loaded the TahrPup64 devx sfs and tried to compile I received some error messages that I can't recall, so I left it sit and percolate for another chance to have a crack on perhaps another fresh install of TahrPup64. I was hoping to produce a pet and post it here as proebler did with his workaround, in due course... but you have highlighted that it doesn't solve the main problem. Hmmm Sad

EDIT: How annoying it is not to get thread updates correctly in gmail any longer - I missed your comment davids45, and if I understand correctly, a "simple" solution with any new official Pup / puplet with "rigidRox" installed would be to remove the built-in and replace it with a "flexiRox" provided from PPM and/or quickpet? Wouldn't that be ideal?
I mean, I can understand the original premise of the Rox developer(s) to establish a firm "this is NOT Windows Explorer" file management platform - but while I have managed without a treeview Rox, the immovable column issue is *nearly* enough to drive me back to the Dark Side.
Whups I have ranted Embarassed

davids45

PostPosted: Sun 13 May 2018, 20:20    Post subject: Some more possible Rox fixes
Subject description: Old Rox modification thread found

G'day puppyt,

In trying out peebee's LxPupSc-18.05, I raised the issue of Rox's inflexibility and asked him if there was an easy fix to allow column moving as in some other Pups.

His reply was:
Quote:
3. there are many variants of Rox around with different patches....the one in LxPupSc comes from slacko and is adequate for its intended purpose - you could try the one in upupbb:
http://www.smokey01.com/peebee/upupbb/extras/pet_packages-upupbb/rox-filer-2015.02-i686_s704.pet
or you could try the experimental one from woodenshoe-wi:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=990140#990140

I haven't had a chance to try these yet (the Rox in upupbb Pup probably is inflexible Sad ) but maybe you'd be interested if these are new to you?

And I've found the/an old thread about fixing Rox to move its columns - only 8 and bit years old:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=430159#430159

I don't know how relevant this is. I still haven't tried extracting a good Rox and copying it into a Pup with a not-so-good Rox. But this thread should help with its 'how to' advice.

David S.
Puppyt

PostPosted: Sun 13 May 2018, 23:59    Post subject:  

**SUCCESS !!**
Thanks davids45 - not only did I receive notification of your post to my gmail account (thanks Flash? Murga?), but also I took a quick punt on your link from woodenshoe-wi. EDIT
Quote:
or you could try the experimental one from woodenshoe-wi:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=990140#990140

First I had to reboot after re-instating the previous Rox-filer, to get my pinboard and usual file management back. I am using TahrPup64 6.0.6 (k4.9.30), so I selected https://gitlab.com/woodenshoe-wi/petbuilds-out/raw/master/puppylinux/pet_packages-common64/rox-filer-woodenshoe-1-x86_64_common64.pet (see here).
Then I removed rox_filer using Setup>Remove builtin packages. Already had my download directory open, so clicked on woodenshoe's pet and opened it with petget. Installed successfully, restarted server. Pinboard changed to the default, as woodenshoe-wi had warned, but radky's tray is still present and correct. MOVEABLE COLUMNS IN ROX_FILER! Yahoo! FlexiRox!
moving_a_column_in_rox.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   28.52 KB
 Viewed   84 Time(s)

moving_a_column_in_rox.jpg

Page 1 of 2 [21 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: