How to install FF 60.0 on tahrpup 6.05? [SOLVED]

Using applications, configuring, problems
OscarTalks

#31 Post by OscarTalks »

Firefox 60.0.1 Mozilla official build is released.
Tested and working in fresh TahrPup 6.0.5
Used PPM to add libgtk-3
Sandbox level is unchanged at the default level of 4
No other settings modified, no "54", no "/dev/snd/" at all.
Only the long string which it modifies by itself.

I ran chown -R root:root on the extracted firefox tarball to correct the ownership.
Added the 3 apulse libraries inside the main directory
Launched with a script as above.
Sound is working in YouTube.

@nubc
You need to remove all previous firefox main directories and just have the latest one in either /opt or /usr/lib
With the Mozilla build you can take your pick of those two.
Some of those *.js config files may have come from previous Ubuntu or other packages.
The Mozilla builds don't have a default or defaults directory under the browser directory.
Actually, I think defaults is the correct name if you are going to create a directory.
There is a defaults directory inside the main firefox directory but it does not contain the file you mentioned.
Anyway, in my latest test, I added no directories or *.js files
I think the changes they have made now make it more easy to get it working.

For the 3 apulse libraries you can extract the 0.1.11 .pet package with UExtract.
Take them out of the /usr/lib directory of the extracted package and put them in the firefox main directory along with the other libraries in there which the firefox executable can find.

The apulse libraries have the same names as pulse libraries because they substitute for pulse audio. It is important to ensure that firefox is finding the apulse libraries before any genuine pulse libraries that may be in the system. My script does this by giving priority to /usr/lib/firefox over the other library paths.
Attachments
firefox601.jpg
No settings modifications applied ?
(36.52 KiB) Downloaded 397 times
Oscar in England

fredx181

#32 Post by fredx181 »

Thanks OscarTalks, indeed working sound now with version 60.0.1, no need to change anything in about:config from what I tested.

Fred

Mike Walsh

#33 Post by Mike Walsh »

My copy of Fred's 'portable' is simply updated from the original downloaded install; everything working as you would expect:-

The above is 'as-is', untouched since the 'install'. Currently sitting @ 60.0.1. Radiotunes, NetFlix & YouTube all running nicely.

Mike. :wink:

fredx181

#34 Post by fredx181 »

Mike Walsh wrote:The above is 'as-is', untouched since the 'install'. Currently sitting @ 60.0.1. Radiotunes, NetFlix & YouTube all running nicely.
Yes, that works OK (default settings modified), but I think it's good that people know that if you change nothing in about:config, the sound works OK with the 60.0.1 version (and running with apulse).
EDIT: To clarify more: The earlier "portable" (e.g. 59.0.2) had pre-configured settings for the sound to work, now the 60.0.1 doesn't have it included anymore (not required), only includes the apulse script and libs as extra's.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 010#978010

Fred

Mike Walsh

#35 Post by Mike Walsh »

Mornin', Fred.

Right. So, if I wanted to (though I'm a proponent of the 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' school of thought!), I could modify as in the above example of Oscar's.....and it should still work? Or would any other modifications be needed?

It's hard, sometimes, getting your head round Mozilla's 'roadmap'..... I'll do some testing, mate.

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Fri 18 May 2018, 11:02, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Walsh

#36 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Fred:-

O-kay. Just to confirm (having experimented), making the above modifications to my copy of 60.0.1, followed by a restart, results in no change whatsoever.

In other words, everything (Radiotunes, NetFlix, YouTube) continues to work as expected.

Thanks for the experimenting, Oscar. Cheers. It rather looks like Firefox, in the wake of all the public backlash over the Pulseaudio issue, has finally settled down again to its pre-Pulse 'click, install, and use' status.

Which, for the average user, has got to be a good thing.

nubc

#37 Post by nubc »

OscarTalks wrote: @nubc
You need to remove all previous firefox main directories and just have the latest one in either /opt or /usr/lib
With the Mozilla build you can take your pick of those two.
Some of those *.js config files may have come from previous Ubuntu or other packages.
The Mozilla builds don't have a default or defaults directory under the browser directory.
Actually, I think defaults is the correct name if you are going to create a directory.
There is a defaults directory inside the main firefox directory but it does not contain the file you mentioned.
Anyway, in my latest test, I added no directories or *.js files
I think the changes they have made now make it more easy to get it working.

For the 3 apulse libraries you can extract the 0.1.11 .pet package with UExtract.
Take them out of the /usr/lib directory of the extracted package and put them in the firefox main directory along with the other libraries in there which the firefox executable can find.

The apulse libraries have the same names as pulse libraries because they substitute for pulse audio. It is important to ensure that firefox is finding the apulse libraries before any genuine pulse libraries that may be in the system. My script does this by giving priority to /usr/lib/firefox over the other library paths.
Success!!! I GOTS SOUND AND VIDEO! The 3 apulse libraries were the key.
Last edited by nubc on Sun 20 May 2018, 02:04, edited 1 time in total.

darry19662018

#38 Post by darry19662018 »

@Mike Walsh love your newish avatar though it makes me dizzy looking at it:)

fredx181

#39 Post by fredx181 »

darry19662018 wrote:@Mike Walsh love your newish avatar though it makes me dizzy looking at it:)
Yeah, can't concentrate on anything you're saying Mike..

No, just kidding :) Thanks for your reports !

Fred

Mike Walsh

#40 Post by Mike Walsh »

fredx181 wrote:
darry19662018 wrote:@Mike Walsh love your newish avatar though it makes me dizzy looking at it:)

Fred
How's this one, guys'n'gals? Any better? :lol:

(Or should I go back to the running doggie again.....?) *shrug*

Ah, me; decisions, decisions....

fredx181

#41 Post by fredx181 »

Mike Walsh wrote:
fredx181 wrote:

Fred
How's this one, guys'n'gals? Any better? :lol:

(Or should I go back to the running doggie again.....?) *shrug*

Ah, me; decisions, decisions....

It's fun ! But still veeeery much distracting :twisted:
How about changing it every day ? :wink:

Fred

Mike Walsh

#42 Post by Mike Walsh »

fredx181 wrote:It's fun ! But still veeeery much distracting :twisted:
How about changing it every day ? :wink: