Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 24 Jun 2018, 16:51
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
CPU load when installing s/w packages with PPM
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
WIckedWitch

PostPosted: Mon 14 May 2018, 14:07    Post subject:  CPU load when installing s/w packages with PPM
Subject description: Why is it so high?

Currently I'm developing what will eventually be a biggish suite of test programs to help in determining potential problems in the use of C static analysis tools with different C compilers. To that end I've recently installed clang and tcc to complement the gcc and g++ that I already had on the PC.

The PC configuration is:

IBM ThinkPad R40e
CPU 2.4 MHz Celeron M
1 GB RAM
36 GB HDD
running tahrpup 6.0.5

When I installed both tcc and clang, it took ages for PPM to do the post-download installation processing (making total install time just over 30 mins for clang) and the processor utilisation shot up to over 80% with CPU temperature over 70 degrees (F or C?) most of the time.

What is it doing that creates this huge CPU load?

mikeb

PostPosted: Mon 14 May 2018, 14:33    Post subject:  

Hmm from memory manically dependency checking is a major element which includes checking existing binaries and libraries are not adversely affected....note I have not dived into it for a long time and install manually using xarchive or use sfs so sorry for the vagueness.

mike
WIckedWitch

PostPosted: Mon 14 May 2018, 17:14    Post subject:  

mikeb wrote:
Hmm from memory manically dependency checking is a major element which includes checking existing binaries and libraries are not adversely affected....note I have not dived into it for a long time and install manually using xarchive or use sfs so sorry for the vagueness.

mike

That would make some sense, as the R40e I'm using for it has a rather slow HDD. Thing is, though, that the HD activity light at the back of the keyboard does not appear to show much use of the HD - though this might, I assume, be accounted for by relatively infrequent disk accesses for moderate-sized chunks of info that are built up and checked in RAM.

Similar installs on a netbook:

HP Mini 110-1110
dual-core Intel Atom N270n @ 1.6 GHz
2 GB RAM
120 GB SSD
tahrpup 6.0.5 PAE

do go faster but still generate a high CPU load.

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 14 May 2018, 20:18    Post subject:  

Quote:
When I installed both tcc and clang, it took ages for PPM to do the post-download installation processing (making total install time just over 30 mins for clang) and the processor utilisation shot up to over 80% with CPU temperature over 70 degrees (F or C?) most of the time.

FWIW, I built a clang squashfs module in a Stretch-Live environment. It only took a few minutes and passed the Hello World test.

Using the Puppy PPM will never work as well as installing packages in their native environment.
Sailor Enceladus

PostPosted: Mon 14 May 2018, 20:38    Post subject:  

Quite sure mikeb is right. There's a way to turn off the "manically dependency checking" but only in really new woof-CE builds.
Screenshot.png
 Description   
 Filesize   41.19 KB
 Viewed   121 Time(s)

Screenshot.png

WIckedWitch

PostPosted: Tue 15 May 2018, 16:27    Post subject:  

mikeb wrote:

On thinking about this, I have another, perhaps more important question:

I use gcc-4.8 most of the time but also have gcc-4.6 installed. If the install order is 4.6 then 4.8, am I running exactly the same 4.8 as if I had installed in the order 4.8 then 4.6?

If the configurations differ, then this has some pretty fundamental implications for how I design the test suite that I'm currently working on.

mikeb

PostPosted: Wed 16 May 2018, 04:06    Post subject:  

Last installed would normally be on top/overwrite so yes order could well make a difference.
Note puppy's sfs handling is the reverse of this.

If each gcc version gets a separate folder this may prevent such conflicts.

mike
WIckedWitch

PostPosted: Wed 16 May 2018, 14:38    Post subject:  

mikeb wrote:
Last installed would normally be on top/overwrite so yes order could well make a difference.
Note puppy's sfs handling is the reverse of this.

If each gcc version gets a separate folder this may prevent such conflicts.

mike

Thanks. One of the jobs that my test suite will be doing is determining exactly what the installed configuration is. Now I know what to look for, I can make sure the test programs are properly designed. Smile

Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: