Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 25 Jun 2018, 04:29
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Utilities
LazY Remaster Suite
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]  
ITSMERSH

PostPosted: Fri 25 May 2018, 01:38    Post subject:  LazY Remaster Suite
Subject description: Version 2018.05.25

Hi.

This is the first step of the LazY Remaster Suite - for testings only!

- remastering the main sfs from settings made completely in a GUI

Currently it remasters the main sfs only.
If the main sfs is renamed on remaster process, the initrd.gz will be created also, to be allowed to boot the new Puppy.

It has simple options to exclude adrv, fdrv and ydrv from remaster, so they will not remaster into the main sfs.

There's currently no options to make .iso oder to burn to cd.

It should be almost self-explanatory, so have a look at the tool-tips.

Edit: I forgot to mention, it comes as a RoxApp (Rox Application Directory), so it needs Rox Filer and ext partition!

Otherwise one needs to execute the AppRun script within that directory.
LazY-Remaster-Suite-2018-05-25.tar.gz
Description  For testing purposes and feedback
gz

Download 
Filename  LazY-Remaster-Suite-2018-05-25.tar.gz 
Filesize  122.06 KB 
Downloaded  68 Time(s) 

Last edited by ITSMERSH on Sat 26 May 2018, 21:34; edited 1 time in total
dancytron

PostPosted: Sat 26 May 2018, 19:16    Post subject:  

I saw this on the other thread.

I used it with the Puppy Stretch version 7.5 and ran through doing a remaster. Everything seemed to work.

Are the lists of files in the experts only automatically generated?

Interface looks great. Exactly what a lot of people have been asking for.

Just noticed that it only works in Pupmode 5. Is that meant to be permanent? Hopefully later versions can work for typical frugal installs too.

Thanks,

Dan
ITSMERSH

PostPosted: Sat 26 May 2018, 21:30    Post subject:  

dancytron wrote:
I saw this on the other thread.

I used it with the Puppy Stretch version 7.5 and ran through doing a remaster. Everything seemed to work.

Are the lists of files in the experts only automatically generated?

Yes. After probing partitions and free space there's a message about examining /initrd/pup_rw, that's when the lists in Experts only Tab are created. It just searches 1 level deep for everything found (to get directories and files). Searching 2 levels deep breaks the GUI (too many arguments for gtkdialog) or would need to search for files and directories separately - which could even break the GUI

dancytron wrote:
Interface looks great. Exactly what a lot of people have been asking for.

One of the first things I made on my first two Puppies published was a GUI to control the remasterpup2 script from Lucid Puppy (original LazY Puppy was based on Lucid), since I wanted and needed to do remasters in DE and EN easily just by activating a option within a GUI. I was sick and tired of editing /tmp/etc each time on a different remaster (DE or EN).

I have used this old LazY Remaster Suite for years, but found a need to re-write the Suite for the updated remasterpup2 script of newer Puppies.

Now, after a few years I'm going to be a little more experienced. So, here we go...

dancytron wrote:
Just noticed that it only works in Pupmode 5. Is that meant to be permanent? Hopefully later versions can work for typical frugal installs too.

I decided to built in this warning/message as I was faced frequently people complaining about my posts of new programs etc. would be too many to read for. Wanted to keep the first post short and small, without too many text to read.

One can do a remaster in pupmodes different to 5, BUT one definitely needs to have a backup of the save file used at the remaster (just in case something's going wrong).

This requirement is caused by the functions to exclude adrv, fdrv and ydrv .sfs from the remaster (options can be set to on or off, though).

The zdrv contains stuff that is known by the remasterpup2 script and LazY Remaster Suite. It's straight equal stuff in all Puppies.

Usually there's no way to let the remasterpup2 script or LazY Remaster Suite know, what's in the adrv, fdrv and ydrv .sfs.

So the LazY Remaster Suite compares the contents of /initrd/pup_a, /initrd/pup_f and /initrd/pup_y with content of /initrd/pup_ro2. Everything found in e.g. /initrd/pup_a and not found in /initrd/pup_ro2 is going to be removed from the running system before remastering will start.

By using a save file those files are marked as deleted and so they won't return at next boot.

Backup the save file, and there you go... Very Happy

Edit: I forgot to mention, it comes as a RoxApp (Rox Application Directory), so it needs Rox Filer and ext partition!

Otherwise one needs to execute the AppRun script within that directory.

Information added to the first post...

tlchost

PostPosted: Sun 27 May 2018, 09:01    Post subject: fat32/ntfs  

If the target build directory is on a fat32 or ntfs partition will the script create the remaster?

Can it be directed to copy the contents of /etc and /root into whatever tmp area is used?

Thanks
ITSMERSH

PostPosted: Sun 27 May 2018, 15:06    Post subject:  

The file system of the target build directory doesn't matter if vfat, ntfs or ext. Just as usual in the remasterpup2 script (from where I've taken some code).

Ext partition is ONLY needed for to store/place the LazY Remaster Suite RoxApp at.

I don't know if I'm understanding the tmp area issue...

Content of directories /etc/ and /root are usually copied to /tmp/etc and /tmp/root. So, if your /tmp directory is a symlink to a directory at HD it has to be a ext partition - of course.

Vfat partitions changing the permissions on text files with no extension and they can't keep symbolic links. I don't know anything about this on ntfs partitions except, they can't be used to execute RoxApps - one needs to execute the AppRun script of such RoxApps.

tlchost

PostPosted: Sun 27 May 2018, 15:40    Post subject:  

ITSMERSH wrote:

Content of directories /etc/ and /root are usually copied to /tmp/etc and /tmp/root. So, if your /tmp directory is a symlink to a directory at HD it has to be a ext partition - of course.

I've walked in to the swamp over my head...and I correct in assuming that puppy is running in ram...and thus the /tmp file is also running in ram? I boot onto a usb drive formatted in fat32...should I have the destination drive for remastering another usb drive farmatted in ext? Sorry for tyhe questions, bt it's all over my head.
Thanks
ITSMERSH

PostPosted: Sun 27 May 2018, 15:59    Post subject:  

Yes, directory /tmp is in RAM.

No, you don't need another USB stick in ext format to be used on the remaster. Any file system works as the target file system for the build directory. Jus like in the remasterpup2 script...

The files that is written are the .sfs and initrd.gz files. They work fine from vfat (fat32), ntfs and ext. The contents of those files are invisible to the vfat partition - (unless you would try to extract .sfs or the initrd.gz to a vfat partition. That at least will break some permissions of files and remove all the symbolic links).

Hope that clears it? Smile

tlchost

PostPosted: Sun 27 May 2018, 16:46    Post subject:  

ITSMERSH wrote:
Yes, directory /tmp is in RAM.

Hope that clears it? Smile

Looks so....I will try the remaster later on this evening and let you know if the contents of root(my scripts and menu) make it over....but I believe you posted that txt files without extensions may not make it into the remaster...so, if that's true I think I have to rename the meny file from tlcmenu.txt and a script like 0 to 0.sh ?
ITSMERSH

PostPosted: Sun 27 May 2018, 17:03    Post subject:  

Quote:
but I believe you posted that txt files without extensions may not make it into the remaster

No, you got me wrong. Never mind.

All files -no matter if they got extension (like e.g .txt, .sh etc) or don't- will make it into the remaster!

The extension of files does only matter when such a file is stored/saved to a vfat partition. This will change the files permission (text files without .txt will look then just like the scripts in rox filer (green text)). But this will not happen to files inside the puppies .sfs files!

Since the LazY Remaster Suite doesn't know the names of the directories in /root, wherein the your scripts and the menu is placed, it may fail to keep/update these directories. Just make a single change inside these directories (edit a file and store it) and they will appear under the Experts only Tab. Inside the list of changed content in /root (the left frame) just check the checkboxes related to the your directories of scripts and menu in /root.

davids45

PostPosted: Mon 28 May 2018, 01:01    Post subject: Unused modules, drivers, etc
Subject description: Remaster for a dedicated computer

G'day RSH,

I've had a very quick look at your Remaster Suite on a test XenialPup Frugal I keep for this purpose. And I now know that pupmode=5 means boot with pfix=ram Very Happy .

If I use your Suite with a fully set-up Pup, I would like to know if I can remove unwanted modules, drivers, applications, and anything else in the original Puppy that is not used on my computer? I run just this computer with its networked printer/scanner so believe I don't need other drivers and modules included in the various Puppies.

If I deleted these unused files (with Rox for example) while running the Pup before the remaster, would that remove them from the new Pup (not just blacklist them, for example)? Or do I need to edit the Puppy sfs to remove them?

I don't know how much I could remove but I hope the remaster would be smaller and boot more quickly? Is that what you would expect?

Are sym-links included in the remaster if they are to off-partition files? My applications sfs (just the one) is on my frugal partition (sda1) but is made of many links to my data partition (sda5) where I keep the working files. My data partitions are always mounted-at-boot in my Puppies.

Thanks for any advice.

David S.
ITSMERSH

PostPosted: Mon 28 May 2018, 09:11    Post subject:  

If you are going to try to remove stuff from /root or /etc it won't keep this changes. Actually it does update only stuff in /root or /etc.

E.g.: removing contents of /etc/modules will not remove the contents from /tmp/etc/modules. Removing the directory /etc/modules itself will not remove the directory /tmp/etc/modules. I'm working on this atm. for the next version.

Anything else being removed from e.g. /lib, /bin, /usr, /usr/lib, /usr/bin etc.pp. will be removed from the main sfs.

I assume the symbolic links you mentioned are created at boot or after boot (so, they are not built in)?

If so, they will appear under the Experts only Tab, so just untick the checkboxes, if checked (usually they aren't checked by default).

If they are already builtin they should remain in the main sfs.

Rangan Masti

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jun 2018, 03:36    Post subject:  Lazy Remaster Suite  

Hi, good work. Testing the Remaster Suite
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Utilities
Jump to: