Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 25 Jun 2018, 04:31
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
How to get internal speaker to work in Lubuntu?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
enigma9o7

PostPosted: Wed 30 May 2018, 12:41    Post subject:  How to get internal speaker to work in Lubuntu?
Subject description: Xenialpup works, Lubuntu doesn't

I have a 512mb P4 I am trying to make use of, and experimenting with various light linux distros. I'm new at this but fairly familiar with PCs in general.

My actual question is actually about lubuntu. When I install it, I can't get sound out of my internal speaker, although headphones work fine.

When I boot XenialPup 7.5, internal speaker works fine. So basically, the simple version of my question, is how do I copy the sound setup out of XenialPup and put it into lubuntu? Or at least use Xenial to figure out how to set lubuntu...

As far as troubleshooting steps I've done, it's a clean install of lubuntu-18.04-desktop-i386. [Also clean install of XP on another partition and it also has speaker sound as it did before I wiped.] I installed the 60mb automatic updates immediately after install and haven't installed anything else. Under sound settings by clicking on the speaker on the taskbar (PulseAudio), I have two output device ports - headphones/Amplifier and Headphones/No Amplifier, which matches the computer (which has headphone jack on front and speaker jack on back) and have tried selecting either. On the playback tab, when sound is playing it shows the firefox audiostream or ALSA plug-in [speaker-test] doing it's thing. Alsamixer had "Master Mono" set to zero, but maxing that out doesn't do anything and it identifies Intel ICH5 / Analog Devices AD1981B

PC Model: HP-d530-CMT
bigpup

PostPosted: Wed 30 May 2018, 13:44    Post subject:  

You really need to be asking for Lubuntu help in a Lubuntu forum or web site.

They are going to know how it handles sound.

Xenialpup is not Lubuntu and may or may not work the same way. Most likely it does not.

We are Puppy!
Resistance is futile!

You will find you will like using Puppy better than Lubuntu.

enigma9o7

PostPosted: Wed 30 May 2018, 14:29    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:
You really need to be asking for Lubuntu help in a Lubuntu forum or web site.

They are going to know how it handles sound.

Xenialpup is not Lubuntu and may or may not work the same way. Most likely it does not.

We are Puppy!
Resistance is futile!

You will find you will like using Puppy better than Lubuntu.

Thanks for reply. There are no lubuntu forums. I tried asking on Unbuntu forums with no success. I've spent hours and hours and hours reading and trying things to no avail, so thought I'd try here. Cuz I want lubuntu to do what puppy does for sound... so I thought if I knew what puppy does for sound, then I could use that. But I don't even know how to look into that kinda thing yet as I'm brand new at this. The ideal mythical response I was hoping for was something like "Puppy uses XXX. Install that" or "Take a look at YYY in puppy, and make sure Lubuntu is set the same way".

Unfortunately, Puppy (at least xenial) runs really slow on this PC. It was my second choice after researching OS's for this PC and I tried it before giving up and moving on to lubuntu. I basically am looking for something even more responsive than WinFLP + Palemoon + LibreOffice for web browsing, document editing , and filemanagement but puppy is noticeably annoyingly worse just trying to use the browser. Lubuntu out of the box (with Firefox as thats what it came with and I havent installed anything yet) seems about the same my XP setup but I don't want to leave an external speaker plugged in when I have a perfectly good internal speaker, I just can't seem to figure out how to use it. I don't know anything about linux device configuration whatsoever.

My only other annoyance with puppy is the ISO can't be installed directly to a blank partition. I stopped booting from removable disks in the 80s and no desire to return. Yeah I installed the lick bootloader thing and that's fine for evaluation, but if I kept it that way I can't easily wipe my windows partition. Plus right now I have two boot menus to pick OS, GNU grub first, then the lick one after I select windows from grub. But this is a minor annoyance because I expect there is a way to actually install it if I do the research, just haven't done it cuz it's too slow for me anyway.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Wed 30 May 2018, 14:49    Post subject:  

Your Lubuntu is using Pulseaudio and XenialPup is not. Trying to copy an audio setup from one to the other will be problematic.

But if you are looking for a light-weight, LXDE-type distro, consider this.

I'm guessing that your Lubuntu setup has created a GRUB2 bootloader. The Starter Kit has its own installer tool and can generate the required GRUB2 boot code.
bigpup

PostPosted: Wed 30 May 2018, 19:49    Post subject:  

Quote:
I have a 512mb P4

Xenialpup is developed for much newer hardware.

You need to be trying an older Puppy.

Tahrpup 6.0.5
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-tahr/iso/tahrpup%20-6.0-CE/tahr-6.0.5_noPAE.iso

Lucid Puppy 5.2.8.7
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90461

enigma9o7

PostPosted: Thu 31 May 2018, 03:57    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:
Quote:
I have a 512mb P4

Xenialpup is developed for much newer hardware.

You need to be trying an older Puppy.

Tahrpup 6.0.5
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-tahr/iso/tahrpup%20-6.0-CE/tahr-6.0.5_noPAE.iso

Lucid Puppy 5.2.8.7
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90461

Thanks much, I'll give Tahrpup a try! The puppy homepage recommends getting the newest version so I didn't even consider using the older ones. Now I'm curious of the differences, system requirements, etc. But will start with the ISO that's downloading as I type.
enigma9o7

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jun 2018, 02:00    Post subject:  

RESOLVED

It was as easy as taking something from puppy. I compiled Retrovol from github, used it to enable master mono, and tada, I have sound from my speaker. Pulseaudio has no way to control that as far as I could tell.

And I did try tahrpup. And it was faster than xenial pup. Then I tried Bodhi and think I like it better, looks nicer and even less overhead, which is useful with my low memory. It had the same sound problem as lubuntu tho, so I just decided to try stuff myself til it worked and actually was shocked that i was able to compile it, kept having to apt-get whatever failed and configure and make and make install and all that til it was all done and then it just worked like magic.
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: