Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 22 Jun 2018, 23:24
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
How to change the theme for xenialpup?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
Endogeny

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jun 2018, 23:17    Post subject:  How to change the theme for xenialpup?  

First, I'd like to apologize for initially posting this in the wrong section. I didn't see an option to delete that thread, so here's hoping a mod will? I fear I've made a very poor first impression.

I made a xenialpup 7.5 flash drive just to see if a scavenged laptop motherboard/CPU were still functional. Now that I have it though, I thought it'd be fun to play around with it, and the first thing I'd like to try is making it Annoying Dog themed.

Yes, this is goofy, pointless, and arguably the opposite of what anyone should be doing with puppy. It just seemed like fun.

Given the actual intended purpose of Puppy, it makes sense that this sort of thing isn't a priority feature, but can it be done without too much hairpulling? I'd like to be able to change things like the icons (especially the menu icon), system sounds, window colors, etc- all the things you might typically incorporate into a theme. How would I go about this in xenialpup? Alternatively, is there another puppy that's more customization-friendly?

Thanks in advance, regardless. Smile
bigpup

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jun 2018, 23:40    Post subject:  

Theming and general look of Puppy is all covered in the Additional Software>Eye Candy forum section.
cousinFrancis

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jun 2018, 02:34    Post subject:  

Hello Endogeny.

If you are looking for a dog background as part of your theming, there are
~ 2,000 pics like this: https://unsplash.com/photos/9A64wd1QaAU
at unsplash.com. Just type "dog" in their search box.

Have fun!
Endogeny

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jun 2018, 11:51    Post subject:  

Quote:
Theming and general look of Puppy is all covered in the Additional Software>Eye Candy forum section.

...so the lesson I've learned here is don't try to do things at 2 am...

Thanks, I'm pretty sure all the information I need is here, and I can't believe I didn't find this entire section when I was looking through the forum. I'm very sorry about that.

Embarassed
bigpup

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jun 2018, 12:37    Post subject:  

You are new to Puppy and the forum.
Takes some time to learn Puppy.

One thing, the how Puppy looks is controlled by several programs.
menu>Desktop will list them.

New or newest Puppies have JWMDesk Manager.
Most everything is in it for controlling the look of Puppy.

mikeslr

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jun 2018, 13:30    Post subject: Customizing Puppy's Look  

Hi Endogeny,

Your project should be both fun and time consuming. Laughing

cousinFrancis has provided a link where you can find and download dog-related wallpaper. There are others. googling something like "comic dog images" should generate many that aren't 'realistic' if that's what you want. Gimp and mtpaint can be used to customize them, or create your own wallpaper from scratch. Puppy expects to find wallpaper in /usr/share/backgrounds which makes that folder a good location for your masterpiece.

As bigpup suggested you'll find a lot of information in the Additional Software>Eye Candy forum section. You can create your own icons --or 'flinch' those already made. Suggest you download any icon theme pet to see how it's done. Rather than installing the pet, right-click it and select UExtract. That will generate an extracted folder containing all the files and folders necessary for a theme. Browsing into that folder you'll find that the actual icons are located in /usr/local/lib/X11/themes/NAME_of_THEME which holds the icons. Be sure to have/create at least one icon as a substitute for each of the named icons you'll find in the pet you've extracted as each those icons is used by Puppies for its default applications.

When you've gotten all the icons you need, create a folder named, for example, AngryDogIconTheme-01. Recreate the structure you found in the pet you extracted (starting just below to folder with extracted in its name), placing your icons in the lowest folder, e.g. .../themes/AngryDog. Then open your file manager so you can see the AngryDogIconTheme-01 folder, right-click an empty space; select Window>Terminal Here; and in the window which opens type (without the quotes) "dir2pet AngryDogIconTheme-01. You now should have an installable pet.

If you're happy with your work, consider publishing it on Eye Candy. A screen shot of the icons which will appear in .../themes/AngryDog can help attract users.

You'll probably also find this discussion of desktop animated gifs of value. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=993406#993406

mikesLr
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: