Westpac Bank login problem (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
Mercedes350se

Westpac Bank login problem (Solved)

#1 Post by Mercedes350se »

Since the IT wallahs decided to change the login page on June 1, 2018 I cannot login using my 5.2.8 frugal install and palemoon 27.9.2

What can I do?

EDIT: Page in question:

https://banking.westpac.com.au/wbc/bank ... gout=false
Last edited by Mercedes350se on Sat 09 Jun 2018, 02:48, edited 1 time in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Try a newer (more recent) browser if you can find one that's easy to use in your version of Puppy. Or you can try a newer version of Puppy, booting it from CD, to see if the browser it comes with will work.

8Geee

#3 Post by 8Geee »

You may need to alter some settings in the palemoon browser.
My firefox27 did reach the page, and its using 256-bit security.

In about config enter ssl in search bar. Make sure everything labled 256-bit is true, and all others false.

Then look at the TLS entries. The minimum should be 2 and maximum 3.

repeat using search term tls.

Close the browser then reopen. Settings should be changed.

HTH
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

RickGT351

#5 Post by RickGT351 »

Palemoon usually has an updater function. It's in the Internet section of your Menu. Just click on Update Palemoon and problem solved

Mercedes350se

#6 Post by Mercedes350se »

Thank you all for your input. It seems that palemoon, itself, is the issue. There is a Help section which details why some secure sites work with other browsers and not palemoon.

The palemoon developers, naively, believe that if we complain to the banks, depts, etc then they will change their server settings. Somewhere between nil and zero chance!

My solution was to download and install seamonkey 2.29.1, not the latest I know, but it works.

p310don

#7 Post by p310don »

Palemoon works to go to the link you have in the first post for me.

I cannot log on though. Give me your ID and password and I'll see if it logs on...

:P :P :P

Sylvander

#8 Post by Sylvander »

p310don wrote:Palemoon works to go to the link you have in the first post for me.
Same here.
My Palemoon version = 27.6.2 (32-bit)

Mercedes350se

#9 Post by Mercedes350se »

p310don wrote: Give me your ID and password and I'll see if it logs on...:P :P :P
Yeh, right!!

Getting to the page was not the issue. When I entered my login details it just threw me back to the login screen.

p310don

#10 Post by p310don »

Yeh, right!!
Was worth a try right? (I'd bet some people would do it - that's how scams happen)
Getting to the page was not the issue. When I entered my login details it just threw me back to the login screen.
I have the same issue sometimes with my bank. It'll work one time, and then won't work again. There is no record of an attempted login, which I get if I put in the wrong password.

I have that issue using both Firefox and Palemoon. I use an older Pup at work, and was using Firefox 45 ESR, which I figured was the issue. Switching to Palemoon latest solved the problem temporarily, but I have it every now and again still. I have never seen the issue using Chrome or Chromium.

I suspect the issue is at the bank's end rather than the user end, looking for the most popular Windows browsers...