Hello all.

As per the title:
"How Puppy works" -- the famous article by BK explaning pupmodes, etc., --
is not available anymore at
http://barryk.org/puppylinux/developmen ... works.html

When I click the link on this wikka page
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/howPuppyWorks
I get an error message.
Same thing if I try via the ask.com or dogpile search engines.

-- Would anyone have a copy or an alternative URL?
Many thanks in advance.

cousinFrancis

#3 Post by cousinFrancis »

Thank you, kind sir.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

My original Puppy Linux site has been archived at bkhome.org/archive/puppylinux:

http://bkhome.org/archive/puppylinux/de ... works.html

http://bkhome.org/archive/puppylinux/
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

hamoudoudou

Perhaps that is what they are searching.

#5 Post by hamoudoudou »

"The very first time that you boot the Puppy live-CD on a computer, a personal storage file named "pup001" is created automatically. This is a problem if it gets created on, say, /dev/hda1, the "C: drive", but you want to install Puppy to that partition. Our workaround was a menu with boot option to not create pup001 and just run in ramdisk."
Perhaps that is what they are searching.
Attachments
suvegarde.jpg
Translated to Fr for Toutous by esmourguit
(118.47 KiB) Downloaded 355 times
Last edited by hamoudoudou on Mon 11 Jun 2018, 02:12, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

What Puppy are you talking about???
First time you boot with a live CD.
Only thing that gets created is a tmpfs ramdisk.
That is a ramdisk in memory only. Nothing is made on the hard drive.
To put a save on the hard drive, you have to choose that when shutting down!

personal storage file named "pup001 was the old way it worked in Puppy V 1.
With Puppy V 2 onward, everything changed and only a ramdisk temp save is created in Ram.
Nothing is placed on any drive until you choose to do it.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

hamoudoudou

the puppy original spirit

#7 Post by hamoudoudou »

Bigpup, personally, i still use Puppy Linux as it was for, full in RAM and don't Touch Hard disk...
Sure i could use it on my hard disk, but i like Puppy on the fly,
The debate is in French forum francophone, M?dor and Musher0 tell me that is not the way ! Sure i see that many of subscribers use hard disk... But ... i want to keep the puppy original spirit. And i think that people Windowsians downloading ISOs from sourceforge try Puppy Linux my way.

nosystemdthanks

Re: the puppy original spirit

#8 Post by nosystemdthanks »

hamoudoudou wrote:i want to keep the puppy original spirit.
options are important, and tradition isnt all bad.

i think puppy has always provided many options, in ram and installation.

though i double-checked, i probably never used puppy before 2006. i never used the forum that puppy had prior to the murga forum.

i do like frugal install, i learned that trick years ago from using puppy, and it works with most gnu/linux distros that have a squashfs. you can even debian or devuan from a frugal install. very convenient for trying lots of distros on real hardware.
[color=green]The freedom to NOT run the software, to be free to avoid vendor lock-in through appropriate modularization/encapsulation and minimized dependencies; meaning any free software can be replaced with a user’s preferred alternatives.[/color]

hamoudoudou

Frugall install on USB

#9 Post by hamoudoudou »

Frugall install on USB : that is my choice since 2014, no CD to Burn, no Hard drive to touch.. My eggs are in 30 pendrives (buckets).. one can fail..
Hardisk is only one.. and security is much lower ..

nosystemdthanks

Re: Frugall install on USB

#10 Post by nosystemdthanks »

hamoudoudou wrote:Frugall install on USB : that is my choice since 2014, no CD to Burn, no Hard drive to touch.. My eggs are in 30 pendrives (buckets).. one can fail..
one of my absolute favourite things about free software is that we dont have to rely on hard drives.

"oh my computers broken"

"no, just the hard drive."

ive given away free debian computers (until 2016) with and without hard drives. one time i chose to put a small usb on the side instead, because my then-girlfriends niece was likely to drop the laptop at some point. i figured a usb would be more durable. thats libreoffice draw:

[color=green]The freedom to NOT run the software, to be free to avoid vendor lock-in through appropriate modularization/encapsulation and minimized dependencies; meaning any free software can be replaced with a user’s preferred alternatives.[/color]

hamoudoudou

when you go on Holidays,

#11 Post by hamoudoudou »

when you go on Holidays, i just need my pendrive in my pocket.. I sleep in host bedroom , and i insert my pendrive in their computer, and they say oooh ! What is that ? My Windows... Don't be Afraid, my Puppy will not touch anything..
:twisted: i am not a programmer !

nosystemdthanks

Re: when you go on Holidays,

#12 Post by nosystemdthanks »

hamoudoudou wrote:when you go on Holidays, i just need my pendrive in my pocket.. I sleep in host bedroom , and i insert my pendrive in their computer, and they say oooh ! What is that ?
oh theyre very nice. you have to be careful booting other os in peoples machines, they usually arent very nice about it.

i mean imagine if someone booted windows on my computer. (terrible.)
i am not a programmer !
well if you become one, i wont tell anybody.

hamoudoudou

we don't know is CousinFrancis is satisfied,

#13 Post by hamoudoudou »

well if you become one, i wont tell anybody.. More programers ? no need to become one more, we need only helpers and translators.
we don't know is CousinFrancis is satisfied, Process is available translated FR, ES, JP, DE, and even arabic.. PDFs.
These processes are for newbies, explaining how-to use Puppy as he was created for.. c'est l'ABC ... le B.A BA (basics ?)
Last edited by hamoudoudou on Wed 13 Jun 2018, 16:24, edited 1 time in total.

nosystemdthanks

Re: we don't know is CousinFrancis is satisfied,

#14 Post by nosystemdthanks »

who is this "we" you speak for?

hamoudoudou

Beginners

#15 Post by hamoudoudou »

Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
CousinFrancis is a newbie
Last edited by hamoudoudou on Wed 13 Jun 2018, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.

nosystemdthanks

Re: Beginners

#16 Post by nosystemdthanks »

hamoudoudou wrote:Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
oh, alright.

hamoudoudou

Re: we don't know is CousinFrancis is satisfied,

#17 Post by hamoudoudou »

hamoudoudou wrote:well if you become one, i wont tell anybody.. More programers ? no need to become one more, we need only helpers and translators.
we don't know is CousinFrancis is satisfied, Process is available translated FR, ES, JP, DE, and even arabic.. PDFs.
These processes are for newbies, explaining how-to use Puppy as he was created for.. c'est l'ABC ... le B.A BA (basics ?)
CousinFrancis is a beginner. I hope my info will satisfy
more info for germans here

fishmanluvslinux

Appreciation

#18 Post by fishmanluvslinux »

I want to thank yall for access to BK's article on "How Puppy Works". I was a Programmer in the 80's but have since just use computers and once in awhile repair them. I love Puppy's portability and speed. Thanks to everyone for their hardwork and dedication. :lol:

01101001b

#19 Post by 01101001b »

I was searching for that page for some time. Thank both of you for those links :D