xenialpup 64 bit Japanese IME

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
@Kiteh_Kawasaki

xenialpup 64 bit Japanese IME

#1 Post by @Kiteh_Kawasaki »

Anybody got this? If I get a working rig I'll post it.
Last edited by @Kiteh_Kawasaki on Sun 24 Jun 2018, 03:08, edited 1 time in total.
Currently: @KitehDotNet

april

#2 Post by april »

I think you need to take all the capital letters and explain what each one means if you really want some help with this.

@Kiteh_Kawasaki

#3 Post by @Kiteh_Kawasaki »

not doing that capitals and punctuation are way funner than this

@Kiteh_Kawasaki

IBUS, FCITX, SCIM, XIM, HIME...

#4 Post by @Kiteh_Kawasaki »

Tried all the Puppy Package Manager distros in Xenialpup 7.5 CE nothing works out of the box and can't find a working PET for 64.04 still working the problem.
Last edited by @Kiteh_Kawasaki on Sun 24 Jun 2018, 03:12, edited 1 time in total.

@Kiteh_Kawasaki

Still No-Go

#5 Post by @Kiteh_Kawasaki »

OK got SCIM working but no Kanji suggestions up yet. How did I do it? Voodoo. One million monkeys. I'll try to reproduce all the steps for a how-to if I get it 100% debugged. Took 2 weeks of spare time to bodge-up. Puppy mos def needs smooth language support like mainstream Linux.
Last edited by @Kiteh_Kawasaki on Sun 24 Jun 2018, 03:17, edited 1 time in total.

slackfan

#6 Post by slackfan »

yes, you are right!

but is that so?

a certain number of creators of distributions are herself far east people (for ex. Deepin. But also in Devuan or Android versions for PC are far east people decisive persons)! so it is not easy for other people to understand that situation!

a puppy exists in Chinese (MACI Pup) and can be turned into English.

I did try to include some IM's into Upup's or Dpup's or Dog's from the Debian / Ubuntu repositories but I suppose they were stripped as the wrong place :roll: (I never did it with DevuanPup but will try it soon) and had never luck!

perhaps / probably are some dependencies not installed and the dependency check can't detect that...

install ibus and use it in one far east language in Debian or Devuan (original distribution, I don't speak from puppy) is no problem.

I did try my luck installing Ubuntu directly into one far east language (I have interest as well in Chinese, Japanese and Korean) did not permit to me to start the writing.

as small distribution, SliTaz (and perhaps TazPup for this reason) offers divers far east input methods but I am afraid they are not tested.

for small distribution, far east input methods have the desadvantage of great "weight" of fonts as well as of the methods herself and the indirect desadvantage, that a lot of far east users really will different methods!

so I use

input king in the browser...

and install only fonts!

(I would happy to find a true type TTF font usable as well for Far East, Indian and occidental writing :idea: . Input king and that would be enough for a lot of uses, and it would be a good solution to include a small font with those proprieties in each puppy)

important hint: hunspell works well in browsers having spell check in the editor field of inputking. in /opt/seamonkey/dictionaries (or analog in some other browsers) you only need a link to the adequate modules in /usr/share/hunspell !
the editor field of inputking is small at starting point but can be made really wider, bigger, so you can edit in better conditions! it would be a good solution to include a link to that url in each puppy: each puppy would be able to edit and show Chinese, Hindi, Japanese, Korean etc.!

@Kiteh_Kawasaki

#7 Post by @Kiteh_Kawasaki »

Thank-you slackfan. Input King is an awesome resource. It's a kludge, but at least I can read and write my own language on xenialpup now. I'm a pro videophotographer and really need this system to be fully-functional on a thumbrive for transportability. Too much gear to carry around is killing me.

scsijon

#8 Post by scsijon »

?so you want it to display in kanji or just reformat docs as japanese kanji instead of those little-rectangles-with-numbers-in? If so have a look for CJK_fonts-ttf.pet, install it and see if that helps you.

BTW, what does IME stand for?

MrDuckGuy

#9 Post by MrDuckGuy »

scsijon wrote:... BTW, what does IME stand for? ...
An IME is an Input Method Editor, or at least according to Wikipedia.

It's a means for entering foreign language characters (such as Japanese, in this case),
above and beyond what the keyboard supports by default.