Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 17 Oct 2018, 19:01
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Thinkpad T43 and Puppy
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [17 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jun 2018, 19:26    Post subject:  

Hallo, m005kennedy. And 'Welcome' to the kennels.

This is only for consideration, you understand. If you're used to working with Adobe, there IS a method for running Windows programs/apps under Linux. It's called WINE.

I run 32-bit Xenial (a slightly earlier version than yours - 7.0.8.1) on a 16-yr old Dell lappie with 1.5 GB RAM, along with a couple of other Pups. I've had a copy of Photoshop CS2 which I purchased many years ago (back when money wasn't the consideration it is for me nowadays.)

I wrote a 'How-to' on installing this a while ago. The instructions were for X-Slacko 2.3.2, but I've since discovered the procedure is pretty much the same for most Puppies.

If you're interested, the thread is here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=876064#876064

The instructions only work for Photoshop CS2, but after some industrious research by another Forum member, there is a download link provided for downloading CS2 from Adobe's archives. CS2 is pretty much considered 'abandonware' by Adobe now; the activation servers were switched off nearly 4 years ago, but it's still a highly competent program.

The download also provides an activation 'key' for the program.

Running Windows apps under WINE is somewhat 'hit & miss'. The WINE team have made great strides in recent years, and WINE, (generally speaking) runs better and better with each new release.....but regressions can, and do, sometimes occur. Something that ran under one version may not run under the next version.

For this reason the 'How-to' works best if using the specific version of WINE I've linked to in the thread.

I have no idea how you could get Photoshop Elements to run under WINE. Maybe somebody else has some thoughts on that.....

Entirely up to you, of course. Hope it perhaps helps. GIMP is an amazing piece of kit; I've used Photoshop and the GIMP alongside each other for years, so the usual moans about the one not being like the other just go in one ear and out the other as far as I'm concerned.....I'm thoroughly used to both of them.

(Do bear in mind, however, that WINE and CS2 between them will use around 550 MB of that 1 GB RAM. Mikeslr is right; some extra RAM won't go amiss, and it's not horrendously expensive. And I also concur with his other statement; it does get confusing if multiple subjects are raised in one thread. That's no reflection on yourself, but it makes it harder for anyone coming after you to perhaps track down specific information, y'see! Smile

As far as Video-editing is concerned, there's plenty to choose from, but again, I agree with Mike; Openshot is very easy to use (if a dunderhead like me can use it, anyone can!), and should be available through the Puppy Package Manager. If you'd like to start a new thread for that, we'll be more than happy to help out...)

Mike. Wink

m005kennedy

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jun 2018, 20:02    Post subject: T4 Gimp
Subject description: Thanks

Sorry, I didn’t really expect a reply about the video. Thanks
Page 2 of 2 [17 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: