Neofetch : Simple system information tool

Core libraries and systems
wiak

#16 Post by wiak »

Nice program Mike. I see NeoFetch been around since 2016 (though I didn't know of it till you posted), and now available directly from Ubuntu software Bionic repos using apt-get now (or via ppa for latest release or earlier Ubuntu distros).

Great that it (EDIT:) is usable in Linux, Android, MacOS and Windoze and more besides (since it just depends on bash - though I wonder how it deals with detecting info for such diverse systems - EDIT2: I've now checked the relevant case statements and see how; very informative... and internally contains some great ASCII artwork too).

I love these commandline multi-featured utils since also easy to put a gui frontend on them for those that prefer that.

Fantastic that it's so customisable too, and also interesting that it can take a screenshot of system; there is a lot we can learn from this utility generally.

wiak

Mike Walsh

#17 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ wiak:-

Glad you like it! I thought it must have been around for a while, though (like you) I'd never heard of it before. And because it's totally script-based, it's very configurable; you can even add-in custom entries of your own, should you desire.

@rg66:-

Thanks for that, RG. I just haven't really had time to dig through it yet; that's a big help. Cheers. I'll add that into the .config file for the beginner's 'GUI' version, so they see a Puppy logo from the outset.

@ Flash:-
Flash wrote:Mike, could you change the name for the .pet? A newcomer to Puppy will have no idea what "Neofetch" might do when he finds it in the menu. Most of us have learned the hard way not to click on stuff when we have no idea what might happen if we do.
Way ahead of you there. I was having the same thought myself last night, so accordingly I've re-named and re-added the pets to post #1.....and labelled them CLI and GUI to differentiate (along with an added explanation). And the Menu entry clearly states 'Neofetch System Info Tool'.....so you can't make mistakes with it.

I've also added a small YAD GUI 'launcher' to the beginner's version, to make it more 'friendly'...and modded the config file to give the puppy's-head logo, too.

Enjoy.

Mike. :wink:

Sylvander

#18 Post by Sylvander »

Latest GUI version installed and working as it aught. :D

Oops, spoke too soon.
Tried it a 2nd time, and it doesn't run. :(
I'll reboot and try it again.
Still doesn't run after reboot.

Runs fine in a console window command prompt.

INFO:
a. Prior to installing the new version, I had...
Uninstalled the old version, saved the changes, rebooted, checked in PPM that the uninstall had taken effect.
b. The new installation is listed in the PPM.

Mike Walsh

#19 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Sylvander.

Oops. I'm a bit embarassed about this. I know exactly what the problem is, and it is my fault.

I take it you're still in Slacko 570?

The crux of the matter is this; certain of the YAD features I've used in putting the wee GUI launcher together are only available with very recent versions of YAD.....basically, from 0.38 onwards. The majority of Pups come with quite an old version; 0.12. (That's like 28 versions out of date!)

It doesn't really matter for the majority of YAD usage in Puppy, because the usual features have been continued into many of the newer versions (indeed, it's backwards-compatible). It's only the last few releases where the developers have really begun to add new features.....one of those being the ability for a YAD dialogue box to 'auto-disappear' upon losing focus.

For this reason, I included a 'generic' version of YAD 0.40 (the latest one) in the new .pet. Trouble is, I can't remember where I grabbed it from.....and YAD, although for the most part will run OK in Pups other than the one where it was compiled, really needs compiling on a per-Pup basis for best compatibility. It seems mainly to be the 5-series Pups that suffer most from this, for some reason. I've been experiencing occasional problems this afternoon, trying to install it throughout my kennels.....and it's the GUI launcher, every time. Running

Code: Select all

yad --version
...in the terminal, instead of giving me the information as it should, it's giving me a load of gibberish. Which in itself indicates something's not right!

It's a piece of cake to compile; a 2-minute job, and so easy even an idiot like me can do it. Smokey gave instructions on how to do it in the very first edition of the Puppy Newsletter, back in Jan '17.

Needless to say, it'll run fine from the terminal, 'cos the Neofetch script, big as it is, seems almost foolproof..... It would have worked for you the first time, due to your habit of always doing manual saves; the 'old' version of YAD would have still been in RAM, of course.

However, to solve your immediate problem, here's a .pet that will give you the latest version of YAD which was compiled in Slacko 570 (I compiled this around 2 months ago):-

https://www.datafilehost.com/d/21d69e2c

It simply replaces /usr/bin/yad with the correct one, that's all. The GUI launcher should then run fine, and launch Neofetch in the terminal.

Let us know if that does the job, please; I'm fairly confident this should 'fix it'. If yes, I'll probably need to re-work the pet. I may just have to re-do the launcher to work with the old version of YAD included with most Pups; a shame, because it won't look so good..!

bigpup

#20 Post by bigpup »

Even Xenialpup64 7.5 has only Yad version 27.0

root# yad --version
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#21 Post by bigpup »

You going to post this back on the Neofetch Github web page?
Here you go!
Neofetch all Puppyfied :lol: :lol: :lol:

Really, they would probably like to see the config options you used.
Good example for customizing!!!
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

rg66

#22 Post by rg66 »

Mike, the startup script in my-apps is not needed. You can simply add

Exec=urxvt -e sh -c 'neofetch ; read p'
to the .desktop file.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

Sylvander

#23 Post by Sylvander »

Mike Walsh wrote:,,,here's a .pet that will give you the latest version of YAD which was compiled in Slacko 570....
That fixed it. :D

Thank you for that.

Mike Walsh

#24 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Sylvander:-

Good, good. I thought that should do it. Enjoy.

@ rg66:-

Thanks for that, RG. I'd been wondering myself last night whether I really needed the additional script.....and you're right; I don't. But if I put that directly into the desktop entry (which I know works), it then bypasses the YAD GUI.....which was one of the main points of doing the "GUI" version.

So I've added it into the YAD script; instead of calling the script in /my-applications/bin, it now executes it directly:-

#!/bin/sh
#
#Start GUI for Neofetch sysinfo tool: © Mike Walsh Apr 2018 - with thanks to Smokey01
#
yad --center --window-icon=/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/SysInfo2.png --title="Neofetch System Information Tool" --form --width=450 --text="          NEOFETCH SYSTEM INFORMATION TOOL
----------------------------------------------------------------------
     Would you like to retrieve your system information?
                        (Close window to quit)" \
--image="/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/SysInfo2.png" \
--field="GET SYSTEM INFO":fbtn "urxvt -e sh -c 'neofetch ; read p'" \
--no-buttons --close-on-unfocus

Gui version now re-worked and re-uploaded.

keniv

#25 Post by keniv »

Can I ask if this should work in older pups such as lucid 5287. I've installed the pet and seem to have the same version of yad as in your slacko pet.

# yad --version
0.40.0 (GTK+ 2.20.0)
# 
On clicking the menu entry yad runs and seems to continue to run but nothing appears on the screen.

Regards,

Ken.

keniv

#26 Post by keniv »

Sorry, my bad. Latest pet is now working on lucid 5287. Thanks for this.

Regards,

Ken.

Mike Walsh

#27 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Ken.

Glad to hear it is working after all. It should do; it's working in my own copy of Lucid, so there ought to be no problems with it. What did you do differently between the first time and subsequent runs, d'you think?

keniv

#28 Post by keniv »

Hi Mike,
Gui version now re-worked and re-uploaded.
I downloaded and installed your re-worked version. I'm not now sure whether the version of yad originally in lucid was 0.40 or whether it was added from your pet. As I was messing around trying to find out why it wouldn't work I can't remember whether I ran

yad --version
or your pet first. My excuse for this is usually called a senior moment. I run lucid on an old laptop (800MHz, 320MB). Your pet runs fast even with these meegre specs. With the first pet it seemed to run yad for some time but nothing appeared on the screen. I ran it from the menu entry. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ken.[/code]