Can a Frugal install be on a hard disk drive?

Booting, installing, newbie
JFB

Can a Frugal install be on a hard disk drive?

#1 Post by JFB »

When one does a Frugal install, do you always have to have Puppy on some external media? Does the Frugal install always have to have, or be on, a CD or a USB drive? Or is there some way (other than a Full install) to have a Frugal install with everything (PupSave File, etc.) on the hard drive?

ally

#2 Post by ally »

hey jfb

think of frugal as a copy of the cd on your hard disk, when you first run you will offered the change to create a save file, this keeps all your daily stuff in, your settings files etc. etc

the easiest way I have found to do frugal installs in to boot from either the cd or usb

create a partition for your your pups

download (or copy) your chosen puppy ISO into a suitable folder on the partition (ie, slacko5.7)

click into the folder

click the ISO to expand it

copy the contents of the expanded folder into 'slacko5.7' folder

click on puppy ISO again to close the expansion

run grub4dos from the system menu

job done, reboot and set up

it sounds like a lot of steps but in reality takes about 20 seconds

if you want another pup, repeat steps, run grub4dos

and another... etc. etc.

:)

ps - always remember to make the savefile on first reboot

pps- want to back up your puppy? just copy the savefile

mikeslr

#3 Post by mikeslr »

Hi jfb,

Ditto what ally said, except

While Puppies work best from a partition formatted as Linux* (current recommendation Linux Ext3), they can be run from Fat32 and NTFS --the partition formats common to Windows.

So you don't need to create another partition. You can simply create a folder on any partition into which you place the files ally mention. That, in fact, is where 'Frugal' gets its name: it frugally uses your partitions, not requiring an entire partition for each Puppy.

mikesLr

* Puppies which are not run from a Linux partition can use SaveFiles, but can not use SaveFolders, and some operations unique to Linux may not work.

Limbomusic

frugal

#4 Post by Limbomusic »

Not sure if this is helpful but if new to puppy?
To clarify / simplify:

After booting puppy for the first time using cd or usb. Click
Menu--> Setup--> Puppy installer
Choose "Universal full installer" Then choose "Internal IDE/SATA/SCSI hard drive"
Now choose the partition to install to - normally "sda1"
(but research first by clicking the harddrive-icons to see which one is the largest and choose that one)
(if u also have windows installed - u have other small partition which is just 100 mb - DONT install there - find the "main" one with lots of free space - like sda2)
Then just follow the wizard - choose frugal install - and say yes to grub4dos-setup wizard and say yes to things and youre good.

(I,m slightly drunk from wine, so apologiez for any misunderstandings regarding everything)

6502coder

Re: Question about a Frugal install

#5 Post by 6502coder »

JFB wrote:Does the Frugal install always have to have, or be on, a CD or a USB drive?
Yes, you can do a frugal install to a hard drive. The simplest way for a beginner to do this is to burn the Puppy ISO to a CD, boot Puppy from the CD, and then use Puppy's Universal Installer to do a frugal install to the hard drive. If your computer doesn't have a CD drive, you can install the ISO to a flash drive and boot from that instead.

If you have Windows or some other OS already installed on the hard disk and wish to keep that, while adding Puppy so that you will have the option of booting into either OS, it is usual to repartition the hard drive first, to give Puppy its own partition. If this isn't clear to you, ask questions and we'll be glad to walk you through it.

mikeslr

Caution -- YOU DON'T HAVE AN (U)EFI COMPUTER, DO YOU?

#6 Post by mikeslr »

Hi jfb,

You didn't tell us what make/model of computer. As bigpup often says, we only know what you tell us. Sometime, jumping right in, we assume you have an 'old' Windows PC. If you have a computer which came with Windows 10, probably Windows 8/8+ and maybe Windows 7/8/8+ that you've updated to Windows 10, running Puppies may require special treatment. See here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 159#858159

Even with a non-UEFI Windows 7, you want to be careful about which partition you resize in order to create a separate partition for Puppies. Usually, the hard-drive in those computers were partitioned to create (a) A small boot partition; (b) a Large partition for the operating system, applications and data; and (c) a 10+/- Gb partition holding recovery software. You don't want to mess with either the 1st or 3rd partition.

In fact, its probably not a good idea to install grub4dos if your computer is any of the above, especially not a UEFI computer since (a) it won't work to boot Puppy and (b) may lock you out of Windows.

On my Windows 7 NON-UEFI computer, I resized the 2nd partition creating unallocated space which I then formatted as Linux; followed the procedure Ally mentioned; and then ran Grub4dos installing it to a USB-Stick and changed the computer's boot priority so that it would read the USB-Stick first. Grub4dos' boot-menu lists my Frugal install on the hard-drive. I generally leave the USB-Key plugged in. So when the computer starts, it reads the USB-Stick, presents the Menu and I boot into Puppy. But if I want to boot into Windows, I remove the USB-Stick before booting. [On some computers you can use an SD-Card rather than a USB-Stick to hold the boot-loader and its Menu].

Goal Accomplished. I have the speed advantage of a Puppy booting from the hard-drive and still Windows boots using the bootloader designed for it and doesn't even know that Puppy is on the hard-drive.

mikesLr

Mayou

Same as Mikeslr on my old Acer. Bookmarked

#7 Post by Mayou »

Same as Mikeslr on my old Acer. Bookmarked

Burn_IT

#8 Post by Burn_IT »

I have 3 different Puppies co-existing with 3 different Windows set-ups on my single hard drive - well I actually have two drives but the second is a full mirror (once a week).
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett