Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 18 Jul 2018, 01:19
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Questions about Tahrpup64 first save
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 2 [18 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
SolusUmbra

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jun 2018, 12:11    Post subject:  Questions about Tahrpup64 first save  

I have lick installed and booted into tahrpup with no problems. Then came all the pop ups for the first save and it seems different then the last time I attempted this. So what options am I going for? Where am I trying to save this save?
bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jun 2018, 13:38    Post subject:  

Should make the save on the same device/partition that Tahrpup64 is installed.

If you could post what options or questions you are asked, that would tell us if something is not correct.

SolusUmbra

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jun 2018, 14:20    Post subject:  

I’ve tried to upload an image several times and not sure what I’m doing wrong so I’ll have to do this the hard way.

Sda 1 filesystem ntfs size 199m free 171m
Sda 2 fs ntfs size 225706m free 180855m recommendation guessing this is c drive
Sda 3 filesystem ntfs size 12568m free 2110m

I know windows has a backup drive d, but I’m not sure what the 3rd drive is suppose to be.

It then asks for encryption which I go normal

Next one I’m not sure about it the ext option of 2, 3, or 4

Size option says 512mb is good so I click that one
bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jun 2018, 15:08    Post subject:  

The save should go on the same partition the Tahrpup64 install is on.
Most likely sda2.
Tahrpup64 should be installed in a folder on the drive partition.

Example name of folder:
Code:
tahr605

Quote:
Sda 2 fs ntfs size 225706m free 180855m recommendation guessing this is c drive

You should put the save on this one.

It is going to make a save file.
Quote:
ext option of 2, 3, or 4

That is asking what Linux file system should be used in the save file.
3 or 4 is a good choice.
Quote:
Size option says 512mb is good so I click that one

512MB is the default options.
That is OK.
But you should pick a bigger size.

Everything you add to Puppy is put into the save.
A save file is made as a set size.
512MB will fill up fast and it will need to be made bigger, at some point.
This program does that:
menu>Utility>Resize Personal Storage file

SolusUmbra

PostPosted: Sat 23 Jun 2018, 15:15    Post subject:  

Thank you very much
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jun 2018, 07:06    Post subject:  

@ SolusUmbra:-

What bigpup says above is very true. Save-files are better in one major respect; they're far quicker to back up. But Tahr64 should also give you the option to choose a save-folder, too. This will expand/contract in size with the contents (like any folder/directory) up to the size of the free space available in the partition where it's located.

Hence, it doesn't need regular 'enlarging' as it fills up.

Mike. Wink

bigpup

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jun 2018, 10:54    Post subject:  

He said he is using Lick to do the install.
I am assuming he is installing to a Windows formatted device.
Notice all his partitions are ntfs format.
Save file is the only option you can use on a Windows format.

SolusUmbra

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jun 2018, 11:22    Post subject:  

That is correct I'm duel booting with Windows 7
Oh and I'm a she....
bigpup

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jun 2018, 11:42    Post subject:  

There we go.
When you assume you usually get it wrong!
Embarassed Embarassed
I actually had he/she and changed it. Laughing

Sorry!

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jun 2018, 11:59    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:
He said he is using Lick to do the install.
I am assuming he is installing to a Windows formatted device.
Notice all his partitions are ntfs format.
Save file is the only option you can use on a Windows format.

Very true; I'd overlooked that. My bad.

Sorry, SolusUmbra. I wasn't intentionally trying to give bad advice!

The reason for that is as follows: a save-file contains a pre-written Linux file-system inside it, when it's created.....which is what Puppy needs. A save-folder, on the other hand, is simply that; a folder, or directory as we call them. It needs to have a Linux file-system already installed underneath it to be able to work correctly.....and you would only get that by creating a Linux partition for your Puppy to exist in.

The mention of Lick ought to have alerted me to that..... Embarassed

SolusUmbra wrote:
That is correct I'm duel booting with Windows 7
Oh and I'm a she....

Gender, of course, should be no guide to appropriate behaviour on this forum.....but we do appreciate you letting us know.

We don't have many lasses among the membership..! Smile For that reason alone, you're most welcome. I hope you enjoy your stay amongst us.....and we will, of course, extend you the same courtesies as anyone else.

bigpup wrote:
There we go.
When you assume you usually get it wrong!

As the old saying goes; "When you assume, you make an ass out of u and me..."

Touché, mon ami....! Very Happy

Mike. Wink

mikeslr

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jun 2018, 14:37    Post subject: Puppies' New Shutdown-Save Routine  

Hi SolusUmbra and All,

You are right, SolusUmbra. Puppy's First Shut-Down Save routine has changed. Note, however, that I am not familiar with how, if at all, the use of LICK may have changed anything. Properly forewarned by Mike Walsh's good advice about assuming anything, I have reasons to assume that the use of LICK hasn't altered that routine greatly from how Puppies generally handle it. Those assumptions are (a) none of us are 'that smart', (b) nobody sets out to 're-invent the wheel', and (c) consequently, something new is more often than not merely a variation of something old. I am rather familiar with how Puppies generally handle it.

A couple years ago, Gyro developed the SaveFolder option Mike Walsh mentioned. All later Puppies created via “woof” --that is not remastered from older Puppies-- now include that the option to create a SaveFolder and the first shutdown routine had to be changed to provide it.

Since the inclusion of that option I've run the new routine many times, and occasionally –if I'm not paying attention, and especially if the colors of fonts, and the background colors of choices aren't distinct-- I've made mistakes.

Here's how the new GUI works with comments about what can go wrong:

The first choice you have to make is where you want to Save your changes. The display shows all available partitions. The recommended location is the same partition where Puppy's other files –initrd.gz, vmlinuz, etc.-- are already located. This is the “default” choice and merely pressing Enter/Return will select it.

Puppies, however, provide more options if they are run from a partition formatted as Linux Ext (choices Ext2, Ext3 and Ext4). So there are reasons you may not want to create a SaveFile/Folder on the same partition where the other Puppy files are located. For example, your Puppy may be on a USB-Key (so you can run it from any computer) but you may want your SaveFile/Folder on this computer to be on a partition on your hard-drive where it will load faster and have more space. And SaveFolders can only be chosen if the partition you select is formatted as a Linux Partition. The GUI shows all available partitions and how they are formatted.

This is where I screw up if I'm not paying attention. Many of my Puppies are on sda4, which is formatted as Linux Ext3. And I usually will opt for a SaveFile formatted as Ext3. The default choice for Saving for a new Puppy on sda4 will be sda4. But if I'm not paying attention, I may think that I'm being asked how I want the SaveFile formatted and so change the selection to sda3.

Just remember, if you want to Save to the location where your Puppy's other files are, just press Return/Enter.

Once you've made that choice, Puppy examines the partition you've selected to determine how it is formatted. If you've chosen a Linux Formatted partition, you will be offered the choice to create a SaveFolder. If you make that choice, Puppy will create a small SaveFolder [that will automatically expand as you install things into it]. Having nothing further to do, Puppy will then shutdown/reboot. If it is not a Linux Formatted partition, you will not be given the option to create a SaveFolder or if, having chosen a Linux formatted partition you then chose to create a SaveFile, Puppy will run the routine for creating a SaveFile – asking for you to choose the size and formatting of the SaveFile.

mikesLr
SolusUmbra

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jun 2018, 14:50    Post subject:  

No big deal I get called a he more then you would think..... Laughing
Perhaps I need to start a new thread for this question but how do I go about finding the .pets I want (mostly the same I had on the 32bit version)
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jun 2018, 15:24    Post subject:  

FWIW, at least on this side of 'The Pond', there may be a trend to use the terms 'Guy' and 'Guys' as gender neutral.

If the application you want is available on Tahrpup's OWN* repo, Puppy Package Manager will install the correct version. If it is not available, you can locate it --or find out it doesn't exist-- by entering two search terms into the following search site [worth bookmarking as it is difficult to find and/or type]: https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0. So, for example if you were looking for gimp, you could enter the following "Tahrpup64 gimp" without the quotes.

Many AppImages will run OOTB under Tahrpup64. See this thread: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=110078

Barring all else, usually the Title or initial post of thread on the Additional Software SubForum, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=63 identifies the Puppies they function under.

If none of the above produces a link to a desired application, open a thread specific to obtaining/running that application under Tahrpup.

* Tahrpup64 also provides access to Ubuntu Trusty Tahr's repos. PPM is good, but not perfect, installing applications from those repos. Best open another thread before using them.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sun 24 Jun 2018, 15:59    Post subject:  

@ SolusUmbra:-

Failing all else (and I think I'm right in 'assuming' this Laughing), if you let either Mike or myself know which apps you want in particular, I'm fairly certain we can help you locate what you want. Either that, or just post the question as a thread in open forum, and we Puppians will rally 'round and help out.

There is literally tons of stuff that will run on Puppy, located in many different places. The total Puppy 'repo' is being added to all the time; Mike and myself like spending time tracking down new stuff (some of which I often 'repackage' into the Puppy package formats), and one Puppian in particular (a Canadian, labbe5) spends most of his time doing nothing but this. And much of the sum total is backed-up in multiple locations, a lot of it in member's own personal cloud accounts. So there's no real danger of we Puppians 'going short' on software..!

Anything you want to know, just ask away. Somebody, somewhere, will come up with a workable solution for you; although Tahr64 is beginning to be considered a bit 'long in the tooth' nowadays, it's still a darned good Puppy, and one which I use pretty much as a test-bed for many of the increasing number of the afore-mentioned AppImages, since most are only being released as 64-bit nowadays. That, and packaging Pup's versions of Google's 64-bit Chrome and SRWare's 64-bit Iron browser.....

Mike. Wink

bigpup

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jun 2018, 18:52    Post subject:  

Tahrpup64 has a special sfs package called 32bit_compatibility_libs_tahr64.sfs
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet_packages-tahr64/32bit_compatibility_libs_tahr64.sfs

If you download it and place it in /mnt/home
Run SFS-Load-On-The-Fly program
Load the 32bit_compatibility_libs_tahr64.sfs.
That will give Tahrpup64 needed stuff to be able to run 32bit software.
So, you could use the 32bit pets you have.
It is not 100% perfect, but most 32bit stuff works.

Page 1 of 2 [18 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: