Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 19 Sep 2018, 14:55
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
XVidCap screen-capture
Page 1 of 2 [24 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jun 2018, 18:02    Post subject:  XVidCap screen-capture
Subject description: Minimalist X11 screen capture software.....with very low drain on resources

Evening, all.

Having found out about XvidCap earlier on today, I liked the sound of it, and began looking round for a package.....and quickly discovered the links to all published instances appear to be stone dead. So I did some digging.....and found a Slackware package on pkgs.org.

It was compiled for Slackware 13.37, but works happily in 560/570, which are based on Slackware 14.0. I also so far have it running in Racy 5.5, and shall be trying it out across the kennels tomorrow.

I wanted a screen-capture app for the old Dell lappie. She'll run both SimpleScreenRecorder & RecordMyDesktop, but they refuse to transcode afterwards. What d'you expect with a P4?? So she obviously needs summat a wee bit lighter.....and XVidCap would appear to fit the bill.

I've got used to the slick GUIs of SSR and Rec-my-D, but XVidCap's wonderfully minimalist interface, quirky as it is, really appeals to me. Next to nothing to it, yet fully functional.....in the true spirit of Pup. The screen area selection is reminiscent of the BandiCam screen recorder for Windoze (which runs under WINE.....well, sort of.)

So, for anybody else who wants to give this thing a try, or to 'resurrect' it again, I've turned the Slackware .tgz file into a .pet. You can find it at my GoogleDrive, here:-

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1vs80X33lqVyOtFcc65wQsifwbv_GmVEP?usp=sharing

Running here in Racy:-

Enjoy.

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Mon 02 Jul 2018, 18:58; edited 5 times in total
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jun 2018, 08:20    Post subject:  

I think it's fair comment to simply say that this thing will probably work in most Puppies, given that muggins' original post on the subject was way back in 2007. In my own case, it runs in everything from Racy/Lucid all the way up to the current Upup Bionic. And they're not all Upups; there's a brace or two of Slackos, as well.

I've slightly re-worked, and re-packaged, the FatDog64 xvidcap .pet that Mikeslr referenced here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=997229#997229

You can find it in the same folder as above.

Mike. Wink

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jun 2018, 17:32    Post subject:  

Yesss!! Finally...

At long last, I now have a screen-capture app that'll work with the old Dell's P4. Whoever it was at Intel that described these things as being 'multimedia-ready' really didn't know his a**e from his elbow; when it comes to multimedia in general, they struggle.....and that's being kind.

(Having said which, of course, things have moved on a long way from when the P4's were first released onto the market. 15 yrs is an eternity in this fast-moving world of technology... Rolling Eyes )

Dinosaur tech!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing (*Eeh, bah gum, lad...*)

But, it does what I want it to.....and at the end of the day, that's what counts. And I do love it's simple yet quirky interface!

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sat 30 Jun 2018, 20:55; edited 5 times in total
rufwoof

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jun 2018, 17:49    Post subject:  

The ffmpeg command to capture a video of the screen is pretty easy and as about as light as you might get.

For Einstein, simplicity was simply the highest level of intellect. He noted that the five ascending levels of intellect were, “Smart, Intelligent, Brilliant, Genius, Simple.”

If you use jwm you can even set it up within a "Program" .jwmrc tag (I have mine set up to record sound and video separately, ready for importing into audacity to tidy up the sound before merging the two again).
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jun 2018, 20:48    Post subject:  

rufwoof wrote:
The ffmpeg command to capture a video of the screen is pretty easy and as about as light as you might get.

For Einstein, simplicity was simply the highest level of intellect. He noted that the five ascending levels of intellect were, “Smart, Intelligent, Brilliant, Genius, Simple.”

If you use jwm you can even set it up within a "Program" .jwmrc tag (I have mine set up to record sound and video separately, ready for importing into audacity to tidy up the sound before merging the two again).

Ruffers, dear boy, I struggle with the command-line even on a good day. And ffmpeg has such a multitude of options that it does my head in even when I am firing on all cylinders!

The suggestion is noted, however, and appreciated. I'm just not sure I'd ever get even close to what I want to do with it.....so if somebody has written a wee app that uses it, but presents it in such a way that it's easy to use, well; that'll do me.

(I'd never really qualify as a true 'geek', would I? Laughing Not in a month of Sundays..... Rolling Eyes)

Mike. Wink

foxpup

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jul 2018, 02:41    Post subject:  

@rufwoof

Maybe give an example with ffmpeg.
At least genius and preferably simple Wink
hamoudoudou

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jul 2018, 20:41    Post subject: Xvidcap remains the best screenrecorder
Subject description: xvidcap-1.1.7_fr_5.5.sfs: 2112 K

Xvidcap remains the best screen-recorder through ages. Sure other screen-recorders are available nowadays. Some will do a well, none will do better.
About ffmpeg in console, i can agree experts will succeed to get something.. But if you check video about Puppy Linux on Youtube, most are made with SSR Full screen. SSR can be use for smaller windoww. Xvidcap Too, that is a great advantage not only for MBS, but for targeting useful zone
Francophones , xvidcap-1.1.7_fr_5.5.sfs: 2112 K a été fait pour vous
Xvidcap with only FR to get it lighter. when MBs were so important..
About FFMmpeg, dears geeks, don't you think that all apps builders for screencast yet knew how to use FFmpeg in their terminal, and they decided to get life easier for people , without having to study commands to type..
Xvidcap fr : no need to speak English and Linux Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
tahrpup and Xenial have no FFmpeg. Og course everything can be done from a terminal.. Music, video... But translatings, codecs, help texts are things that make apps popular, when typing in English codes frighten everybody excepted Geeks happy to be in a very selective category, VIP Linux experts. But somewhere Stupid.
ffmpeg.jpg
 Description   No need to install FFmpeg, Xvidcap includes needed libs
 Filesize   26.08 KB
 Viewed   142 Time(s)

ffmpeg.jpg

hamoudoudou

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jul 2018, 22:45    Post subject: Mike, welcome in Xvidcap world.  

Mike, welcome in Xvidcap world.
rufwoof

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jul 2018, 06:38    Post subject:  

foxpup wrote:
@rufwoof

Maybe give an example with ffmpeg.

I'm not even smart Smile I see Pelo has already found/bumped another thread about using ffmpeg to record the desktop.

This is my jmw config menu entry for recording the desktop, but that is on OpenBSD and wont work under Puppy, but isn't too dissimilar to a likely comparable Puppy version. I can't test and post a simpler version for Puppy as I no longer run Puppy at all (gone to the dogs as far as I'm concerned and I have no faith in opening up root access on my PC to the likes of Fred).

I have it set to record audio and video separately and I play/record a clapper board at the start as part of that. I then use audacity to clean up the sound, perhaps remove background computer whirring noise, maybe amplify or attenuate the sound level ...etc. and then edit the audio and video into a final production using kdenlive. I have OpenBSD configured so that all sound sources are recorded, so mic and the sound from a youtube if for instance a youtube is being played whilst making the recording.

Code:
           <Program icon="film.png" label="Record a video of desktop">
               <!-- suggested as part of installation you ....
                   adjust to record from all sound sources ...
                   rcctl set sndiod flags -s default -m play,mon -s mon
                   rcctl restart sndiod (only need to run these once)
                   That sets up a snd/0.mon as a combination of all sound sources
               -->
               aucat -f snd/0.mon -o ~/recording-of-desktop-sound.wav &
               AUDIO_PID=$!
               mpv ~/.jwm/clapper.mp4 &
               xterm -T "Recording Desktop - Q to stop" -e 'ffmpeg -f x11grab -r 12 -s 1440x900 -i $DISPLAY -c:v libx264 -preset ultrafast ~/recording-of-desktop-video.mp4'
               kill $AUDIO_PID
           </Program>   

I use a slow frame rate of 12 frames per second (-r 12) and that is hard coded for my screen resolution size (-s 1440x900). DISPLAY is more usually just :0 on most systems.
rufwoof

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jul 2018, 06:50    Post subject: Re: Xvidcap remains the best screenrecorder
Subject description: xvidcap-1.1.7_fr_5.5.sfs: 2112 K

hamoudoudou wrote:
About ffmpeg in console, i can agree experts will succeed to get something.. But if you check video about Puppy Linux on Youtube, most are made with SSR Full screen. SSR can be use for smaller window. Xvidcap Too, that is a great advantage not only for MBS, but for targeting useful zone

Just a matter of adding the top left X and Y coordinates to ffmpeg, along with the width and height values for the region to be recorded. Again I have it as part of my standard jwm configuration (menu entry) where for that menu option you drag out the screen region to be recorded using your mouse. i.e. it could all be part of a standard default Puppy so that you didn't even have to bother with installing xvidcap or SSR or whatever.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jul 2018, 06:53    Post subject:  

I have to confess, what I really like about this is the fact that you press 'Stop' to end the recording....and it is done. Finished.

SSR and Rec-My-Desk are brilliant apps, don't get me wrong.....but the transcoding always seems to run on for a while afterwards, before things are finalised. (I love Rec-My-Desk, but if you don't have Python, it's got to be installed just for that one tiny app. Which suddenly makes it a whole heap bigger). With XVidCap, the end of transcoding is immediate. And for elderly hardware, like ye anciente Dell, that's important.

The ability to 'detach' and move the control bar around the screen to a suitable location, I like. And the best bit of all is if you're over on the far side of the screen, recording a small window (with the 'detach' button off the screen edge), it 'auto-detaches'.....as if it knows you can't access it.

Sweet. Oh, I wish I'd known about this one years ago. It shows I don't dig around through the Forum 'archives' as much as someone like Pelo. (Or hamadoudou. Or, well... Whatever. Laughing)

Mike. Wink

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jul 2018, 07:05    Post subject:  

@ rufwoof:-

Our posts must have crossed. I see what you're saying, yes. I'm always a lot quicker at reading command-line stuff than I am at trying to figure out how to write it correctly for myself. And in all honesty, aside from simply not having the amount of free time to learn it, I'm getting so I've got less & less inclination to do so.

I like customizing, yes; up to a point. Oh, sure; there's a whole heap of little tweaks & stuff I can think of that I'd like to do.....but the inclination these days is to ask for help from the word go, rather than spend hours head-scratching & experimenting. I no longer have the patience for it!

Mike. Wink

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jul 2018, 19:10    Post subject:  

Just as an aside to all this, I was in Anti-X last night (first time for quite a while, I'll own), and was trying to get XVidCap installed there.

Debian don't hold it in their repos, so I went to the SourceForge page to see what I could find. Seems xvidcap has been around as long as Puppy itself; earliest archives on SF date back to 2005! I couldn't be bothered with the source-code (which has the highest number of downloads, BTW), so I decided to try the available .debs. I initially tried the most recent (from 2009), but it complained about an unsatisfied dependency....libtwolame?

Believe it or not, the one that I now have working in Anti-X was compiled for Ubuntu 8.04 'Hardy Heron', in July 2008. Shows some things don't change much, if at all.....

Mike. Wink

wiak

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jul 2018, 19:43    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
I couldn't be bothered with the source-code (which has the highest number of downloads, BTW)

Xvidcap works well, and yes it has been around since even earlier than Puppy. I actually took a look at the source code since thinking of tweaking it for some more modern codec/ffmpeg use - possibly could do that, but wow, what a huge program it turns out to be. Unless I'm mistaken, totalling all its various source components together is apparently over 250,000 lines of code amounting to over 60 years of human dev time, by one estimate, but really only ever one main developer at any given time (I read that somewhere - haven't actually counted the source code lines but did notice it was surprisingly huge. Nice program, but hard to believe it needs that much code...

wiak
hamoudoudou

PostPosted: Mon 02 Jul 2018, 21:50    Post subject: Reading Homère or Platon without translation.  

First i used Drec, then i used Xvidcap for years, when SSR arrived...
People can write what they think on their Linux blackboard, we practice.. That makes the difference... About FFmpeg of course it will do what you want (if included in tahrpup or Xenialpup)
as all programs to create by hand.. Uou can re-write everything.
The matter is that users are not supposed to learn english and Linux to use it.. Excepted Now high school experts. An OS is to be popular, not a Latin or old greek classroom for Reading Homère or Platon without translation.
Programming is your hobby, video editing is ours.. Dont get Puppy Linux something else that a popular OS light and fast VS big Linux, don't reduce it to a training laboratory for a dozen of Learners, as abandoned airplanes in the desert or White mice produced by thousands for experiments
As an Evidance Xvidcap with xenialpup will ask less MBs than to install FFmpeg, silly devs Evil or Very Mad Xvidcap is all icluded stuff.
First lesson in programming is 'search if what you need is not yet available. So please check the forum before anything." 2007.. and so many topics.. 228
downloads sourceforge 318,000

Best screencaster ever. Nothing else but xvidcap! Never stop developing!
xvidcap.jpg
 Description   Dogs go ahead..
 Filesize   62.65 KB
 Viewed   63 Time(s)

xvidcap.jpg

Page 1 of 2 [24 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
Jump to: