DebianDog - Jessie (21 June 2017)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
saintless

DebianDog - Jessie (21 June 2017)

#1 Post by saintless »

Edit - 21.06.2017: According to this post the thread stays open as a community project:
mcewanw wrote:As I say, all dogs are community projects; no-one can ask for that work to be locked or deleted without agreement from the other contributors.
Not maintained by me anymore.

Debian releases information page.

----------------------------------------------------------
One month from today (28.09.2016) I will remove all files from:
http://www.kazzascorner.com.au/saintless
Thank you very much for your support Kazza.

I will not update anymore:
http://www.smokey01.com/saintless
Thank you very much for your support Smokey.

All DebianDog and MintPup files are uploaded at github. Links available in the first page post.
Click here for 64-bit DebianDog-Jessie from Fred.
==========================================
Click here for bugs and fixes information.
DebianDog-Jessie on github.
My thanks to Daniel Baumann! DebianDog wouldn't exist without his work.
=========================================
Edit: 04.09.2015 - New iso images uploaded. List of changes read here.
=========================================

DebianDog-Jessie is upgrade from DebianDog-Wheezy with some special modifications and fixes needed for Jessie.
Same boot methods options, same Utilities thread, same HowTo thread.

Both systemd and sysvinit included with choice to boot the init you prefer.
If you need to edit the boot code keep in mind adding init=/bin/systemd will boot with systemd. Removing init=/bin/systemd will boot with sysvinit.

It is not Puppy linux and it has nothing to do with Puppy based on Debian.
Downloading DebianDog be ready to learn different package manager and different system setup in Debian manner.

DebianDog is a small Debian Live CD shaped to look like Puppy and act like Puppy. Debian structure and Debian behaviour are untouched and Debian documentation is 100% valid for DebianDog. You have access to all debian repositories using apt-get or synaptic.

DebianDog is set to autologin as root. If you like to use it as multiuser system it is recommended to start XDM login manager (available only in Jwm version). Just type in terminal xdm-start and reboot. xdm-stop will reverse back autologin as root.
In OpenBox version you can install this slim deb package and use menu System -> Start/Stop Slim display-manager.

If you like to change the default autologin as root to autologin as user read here how to do it.

Login details:
root with password root
puppy with password puppy

Check for updated iso images here first.

Two versions available for download:
1. DebianDog-Jessie-jwm_icewm-2015-09-02.iso - 160 Mb - kernel-3.16.0-4-586 (for older PC).
DebianDog-Jessie-jwm_icewm-2015-09-02-PAE.iso - 164 Mb - kernel-3.16.0-4-686-pae (for modern PC).
Default WM - JWM with option to switch to IceWM.
Default File Manager - XFE with option to use Rox.
Default Internet Browser - Dillo.

2. DebianDog-Jessie-openbox_xfce-2015-09-02.iso - 197 Mb - kernel 3.16.0-4-586 (for older PC) - (from fredx181).
DebianDog-Jessie-openbox_xfce-2015-09-02-PAE.iso - 200 Mb - kernel-3.16.0-4-686-pae.iso (for modern PC) - (from fredx181).
Default WM - OpenBox with XFCE.
Default File Manager - Thunar with option to use Rox or XFE.
Default Internet Browser - Firefox.

ISO md5sum

To test DebianDog for first time you need to burn it on CD and boot from it, or use DebianDog-installer ( click here to download and extract the archive - working from most linux systems) to make frugal install to HDD or USB, or to extract /live folder on top of a partition or USB and edit grub menu.lst.

DebianDog-Jessie iso is changed to iso-hybrid and you can make bootable usb from it using dd command. This option is for users with more experience and makes the usb partition with DebianDog files read-only without option to replace the included boot menu with custom menu entry.
Hybrid-iso to usb example using /dev/sdb flash drive posted here.

It is recommended to use DebianDog-installer working on most linux systems ( click here to download and extract the archive ) instead using dd command to create bootable usb.

To keep the size small as possible all /usr/share/locale files for the included packages are moved in separate squashfs module (00-locale-files-jessie-openbox_xfce.squashfs and 00-locale-files-jwm-icewm-jessie.squashfs) available for download from sfs-get or from here.
In case you like to change the localization install locales and load the module or place it inside /live/image/live to be loaded at boot time.
You can also install localepurge and copy only the language files you need from the squashfs module in /usr/share/locale directory to save space in the future.
Included menu-openbox from Fred with localisation support (the default menu displays categories and menu entries only in English). In case you like to change the localisation type menu-openbox in terminal or start it from System -> Menu Openbox.
More information about changing localization read here, here and here.

DebianDog has tools similar to Puppy. You can create easy separate squashfs modules and remaster the system with all personal changes.
You can even use/convert pet packages and sfs files from Puppy but it is not recommended if you like to keep well working apt-get/Synaptic package manager (which is the main advantage using DebianDog).

A big thanks to Kazza for providing the hosting space for all DebianDog versions, modules and packages!

Related links:
Web-browser certificate validation problems
LZ4 boot support for DebianDog-Jessie
Lumina Desktop for DebianDog and MintPup
Kingston wps-office sfs module
MintPup (Trusty LTS)
DebianDog-Wheezy
Infinality fonts packages for Debian Wheezy (thanks to Keisha)
DebianDog wireless LAN HowTo thread
DebianDog HowTo thread
DebianDog Utilities thread
DebianDog Packages section
Setting up Chinese fonts github wiki from limelime
Systemd boot information
Install Spotify on Debian/DebianDog
DebianDog + Blue Pup Quirky Tahr Dual Boot USB Stick How-To
How To Make A Network Storage NAS Appliance With DebianDog and OpenMediaVault

DebianDog-Squeeze.iso version for old computers
Use old Skype version after 01.08.2014
Last edited by saintless on Sat 08 Jul 2017, 17:56, edited 52 times in total.

saintless

Updates and fixes information post:

#2 Post by saintless »

List of DebianDog-Jessie fixes found after 04.09.2015:

Fixes list moved here.

Last edited by saintless on Sun 10 Apr 2016, 17:10, edited 32 times in total.

bark_bark_bark

#3 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I'll be trying out the openbox version later today.

ally

#4 Post by ally »

davids45

First look at DebianDog Jessie

#5 Post by davids45 »

G'day saintless,

I had not tried this OS before (just normal Puppies) so I may not understand how this DDog works.

Live CD loaded and ran.

On this desktop computer, I have two hard-drives each with 14 partitions, but with DDJessie, the drive icons did not display in rows across the bottom of the screen - just one row when I probably need three rows to see all my partitions at the size of icon being displayed.

When I looked with the Mounter wizard (because I could not click on an off-screen partition icon to mount that partition), my second hard drive sdb was showing its partitions with USB icons - sda showed with normal hard drive icons.

Will a Frugal DebianDog Jessie co-exist with many Pup Frugals in the one partition? Or with a Full DebianDog Jessie as I have a spare partition on sdb to try these together if possible.

Is there an example of a menu.lst entry for a DebianDog Jessie Frugal (and Full as well) as I do not want to install Grub or Grub4Dos with DebianDog but use the Grub I have already and just edit the .lst files.

Thanks,

David S.

saintless

Re: First look at DebianDog Jessie

#6 Post by saintless »

Hi, David S.
davids45 wrote:When I looked with the Mounter wizard (because I could not click on an off-screen partition icon to mount that partition), my second hard drive sdb was showing its partitions with USB icons - sda showed with normal hard drive icons.
This is because mount-wizard script is set to use one icon for sda and different icon for sd*. You can change this part in /opt/bin/mount-wizard with text editor from:

Code: Select all

case "$partition" in
         *fd*)
            type="floppy24"
            ;;
         *mmc*)
            type="card24"
            ;;
         *sda*)
            type="drive24"
            ;;
         *sr*)
            type="optical24"
            ;;
         *sd*)
            type="card24"
            ;;
         *)
            type="drive24"
            ;;
      esac
to:

case "$partition" in
         *fd*)
            type="floppy24"
            ;;
         *mmc*)
            type="card24"
            ;;
         *sda*)
            type="drive24"
            ;;
         *sdb*)
            type="drive24"
            ;;
         *sr*)
            type="optical24"
            ;;
         *sd*)
            type="card24"
            ;;
         *)
            type="drive24"
            ;;
      esac
Then sdb will have the same icon as sda.
Will a Frugal DebianDog Jessie co-exist with many Pup Frugals in the one partition? Or with a Full DebianDog Jessie as I have a spare partition on sdb to try these together if possible.
Yes for both. Open DebianDog iso and copy /live directory at top of the partition with Pup Frugals or at top of DD-Jessie full install and change the menu list (the example is for existing KDPup frugal and DD on sda1 porteus-boot saving changes in /live/changes directory. You need ext2,3,4 partition for saving in directory):

title Puppy Linux 484 frugal in sda1 dir puppy484
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel /puppy484/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=puppy484 nosmp
initrd /puppy484/initrd.gz

title DebianDog-Porteus changes=/live/
root (hd0,0)
kernel /live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/ changes=/live/
initrd /live/initrd1.xz
Boot code examples for each boot method you will find here and in the links for each boot method posted here.
On this desktop computer, I have two hard-drives each with 14 partitions, but with DDJessie, the drive icons did not display in rows across the bottom of the screen - just one row when I probably need three rows to see all my partitions at the size of icon being displayed.
Never tested so many partitions but try chaging the X and Y from settings right click on any desktop drive icon (if you are running Jwm version). See the screenshot.

Edit: Try changing Y: -100 to move up the desktop drive icons.
Attached archive mount-wizard.tar.gz with the mod above to replace it in /opt/bin.

Toni
Attachments
mount-wizard-icon-mod.tar.gz
(2.21 KiB) Downloaded 986 times
desktop-drive-icons.png
(189.06 KiB) Downloaded 27092 times
Last edited by saintless on Thu 28 May 2015, 12:39, edited 2 times in total.

saintless

#7 Post by saintless »

Thanks, Ally :)
Can you, please, add fredx181 to the description because we work together on this project. Thanks again!

Toni

ally

#8 Post by ally »

sorry fredx181, my bad, done!

:)

fredx181

#9 Post by fredx181 »

ally wrote:sorry fredx181, my bad, done!

Thanks, ally, for your great work of archiving all valuable puppy distributions!

Fred

Terry H

#10 Post by Terry H »

I'm a first time user of DebianDog. I have just done a frugal install of the openbox-xfce version. So far it is looking really nice. It's looking like a keeper.

The only issues I am having is running Menu items which have scripts involved, which use sudo, are failing. When sudo is called from a terminal I receive the following error:

root@jessie:~# sudo
sudo: unable to stat /etc/sudoers: No such file or directory
sudo: no valid sudoers sources found, quitting
sudo: unable to initialize policy plugin
The file /etc/sudoers does exist:

ls -l /etc/sudoers
-r--r----- 1 root root 805 Dec 20 22:13 /etc/sudoers
I have no idea how to rectify this issue. any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

fredx181

#11 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Terry H,
The only issues I am having is running Menu items which have scripts involved, which use sudo, are failing.
Thanks for reporting , but, sorry, I cannot reproduce the errors you get.
Can you give more information about how you run DebianDog e.g. from cd or usb, using systemd or not and which menu entry doesn't work.
Also, please, your boot parameters, we need to know which boot method you use.
Also from your terminal output I see you are logged in as 'root', this way you don't need sudo at all, it's only for unprivileged users.
Output of sudo running from 'root' terminal for me:

usage: sudo -h | -K | -k | -V
usage: sudo -v [-AknS] [-g group] [-h host] [-p prompt] [-u user]
usage: sudo -l [-AknS] [-g group] [-h host] [-p prompt] [-U user] [-u user]
            [command]
usage: sudo [-AbEHknPS] [-r role] [-t type] [-C num] [-g group] [-h host] [-p
            prompt] [-u user] [VAR=value] [-i|-s] [<command>]
usage: sudo -e [-AknS] [-r role] [-t type] [-C num] [-g group] [-h host] [-p
            prompt] [-u user] file ...
Fred

musher0

#12 Post by musher0 »

Nice little distro! Thanks, saintless!
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Terry H

#13 Post by Terry H »

fredx181 wrote:Hi Terry H,
The only issues I am having is running Menu items which have scripts involved, which use sudo, are failing.
Thanks for reporting , but, sorry, I cannot reproduce the errors you get.
Can you give more information about how you run DebianDog e.g. from cd or usb, using systemd or not and which menu entry doesn't work.
Also, please, your boot parameters, we need to know which boot method you use.
Also from your terminal output I see you are logged in as 'root', this way you don't need sudo at all, it's only for unprivileged users.
Output of sudo running from 'root' terminal for me:

usage: sudo -h | -K | -k | -V
usage: sudo -v [-AknS] [-g group] [-h host] [-p prompt] [-u user]
usage: sudo -l [-AknS] [-g group] [-h host] [-p prompt] [-U user] [-u user]
            [command]
usage: sudo [-AbEHknPS] [-r role] [-t type] [-C num] [-g group] [-h host] [-p
            prompt] [-u user] [VAR=value] [-i|-s] [<command>]
usage: sudo -e [-AknS] [-r role] [-t type] [-C num] [-g group] [-h host] [-p
            prompt] [-u user] file ...
Fred
Fred,

Thanks for the response. Yes I know I am logged in as root and don't need sudo, however there are Menu entries which initiate scripts, which have 'sudo' or 'gsu' embedded in the script, which all fail when I attempt to run them. I can manually work around this by running the commands from a terminal without sudo, but I woiuld like to be able to just run from the menu entry.

I believe I am using sysvinit. I did a manual frugal by extracting the 'live' folder from the iso and creating a new entry in menu.lst.
Menu.lst entry:

title PorteusDog Jessie (sda6) 
root (hd0,5)
kernel (hd0,5)/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/ changes=EXIT:/live/
initrd (hd0,5)/live/initrd1.xz
Edit: Some of the Program launchers that fail:
Menu>Settings>Flashplayer Choice
Menu>Settings | System > Synaptic Package Manager
Note:The desktop launcher for Package Manager works as it executes synaptic directly.
Last edited by Terry H on Thu 28 May 2015, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.

fredx181

#14 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Terry H,

Thanks for the info, it seems to me you did nothing wrong and indeed you are booting with sysvinit.
Still I couldn't reproduce with a very similar setup as you have (well in fact almost exactly the same, except sda6 for you is sda3 for me).
Yes I know I am logged in as root and don't need sudo, however there are Menu entries which initiate scripts, which have 'sudo' embedded in the script, which all fail when I attempt to run them. I can manually work around this by running the commands from a terminal without sudo, but I woiuld like to be able to just run from the menu entry.
I assume some examples are: apt2sfs or edit-sfs?
As example apt2sfs:
The menu entry executes the command 'apt2sfs' without sudo, so it should be the same as when you run in terminal 'apt2sfs'
What the script apt2sfs does is to check if you are root, if not, it will execute gsu (graphical sudo)
Can you type this in terminal:

whoami
It should display 'root' then.

It's mysterious to me how it can be as you describe.
Can you try something for me?
Boot without changes, "fresh" and see how it goes, menu.lst entry then without the changes= parameter:

root (hd0,5)
kernel (hd0,5)/live/vmlinuz1 noauto from=/
If it's ok then you better remove /live/changes from your sda6 partition, something might have gone wrong with it.
And: can you check if you have another 'live' folder with DebianDog files on another partition maybe? It could conflict in that case.

Edit: Noticed your edit about flashplayerchoice and synaptic:
These I also cannot reproduce, works fine for me.
Any other examples?

Fred

Terry H

#15 Post by Terry H »

This is the script that is executed when Menu > System > Setup Timezone is clicked. The script is located /opt/bin/timezone-setup.

#!/bin/bash

xterm -T "Set Timezone" -si -sb -fg white -bg SkyBlue4 -geometry 80x20 -e sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
#xterm -T "Set Timezone" -si -sb -fg white -bg SkyBlue4 -geometry 80x20 -e sudo tzselect
I have edited the script to remove both occurrences of sudo.

I also noticed that there are 2 instances of 'Synaptic Package Manager' contained in /usr/share/applications. One has gsu synaptic when viewing the Launcher properties, The other only has synaptic.

Thanks for you assistance for this. It is a minor issue, which I can work around until some one can advise me how to fix the issue with sudo.

fredx181

#16 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Terry H,
I also noticed that there are 2 instances of 'Synaptic Package Manager' contained in /usr/share/applications. One has gsu synaptic when viewing the Launcher properties, The other only has [bsynaptic[/b].
Yes, the 'gsu' is for when running as regular user but shouldn't make a difference when running as root.
The command:

gsu synaptic
Opens synaptic for me when I am logged in as root.
For you it probably doesn't, so that means something's wrong, but what?
Thanks for you assistance for this. It is a minor issue, which I can work around until some one can advise me how to fix the issue with sudo.
It's really not supposed to be having to workaround this, sudo seems to be broken, can you please try what I suggested in my previous post:
Boot without changes, "fresh" and see how it goes, menu.lst entry then without the changes= parameter:
Code:
root (hd0,5)
Fred

Terry H

#17 Post by Terry H »

fredx181 wrote:Hi Terry H,
Code:
root (hd0,5)
Fred
I deleted the 'changes' folder and booted, I still have no sudo access. I also downloaded and booted a clean Saintless' JWM.iso. Same issue.

Moat

#18 Post by Moat »

Just a noob-ish enduser doing a very quick test of Fred's XFCE Jesse - boot method 2, I think... (no save, RAM session, systemd).

Nice! Old Dell Optiplex GX620, Pentium D, 3Gb RAM - booted straight to desktop (no prompts) at proper resolution, USB mouse and keyboard working. Frisbee took a few tries/refreshes (Netgear USB dongle) - but here I am.

Few little things so far -

A couple of the default (Faenza) icons are missing from the main & Whisker menus, as well as a few from the XFCE Panel "Add New Items" menu. "Desktop" settings and "Snapshot Make" and "Mail Reader" in Whisker (maybe those appear with another boot choice, I'm thinking...?). Synaptic's menu icons are a bit frazzled, also.

In attempting to set the number of workspaces via right-clicking the panel's Workspace Switcher > "Workspace Settings", there is no proper icon (red x'd) and a popup displays "Unable to open workspace settings - Failed to execute child process "xfwm4-workspace-settings" (No such file or directory". Of course, that can be set in Openbox Config instead.

Not sure what the third terminal - Uxterm - is for, but it fails to open with - "uxterm tried unsuccessfully to use locale en_US.UTF-8 by setting $LC_CTYPE to en_US.UTF-8"."

I can find no mouse configuration utility (sensitivity/acceleration) - should I try installing a .pet from an existing D/U-pup repo? Or would you recommend a proper .deb via Synaptic? Or if I could just find the config file here somewhere...

Really going to have to install this to a thumbdrive and give it a serious go, though. Nice and light/snappy so far... and pure Debian! Very cool. 8)

Thanks,

Bob

saintless

#19 Post by saintless »

Hi, Terry H.
Please check and confirm you have the same md5sum after downloading the iso images:
5609d4c934f133eca9c413f668fceaf5 DebianDog-Jessie-jwm_icewm.iso

bff0c770ec03008690e0852eb0ee38c7 DebianDog-Jessie-openbox_xfce.iso
As Fred I also can't reproduce the problem you get with sudo command in both DD-Jessie.
Try reinstalling sudo:

apt-get update
apt-get install --reinstall sudo
And when you have time, please, check if you have the same problem with DebianDog-Wheezy:
http://smokey01.com/saintless/DebianDog/
This test will show if the upgrade process is the reason for the strange issue you get.

Toni

saintless

#20 Post by saintless »

Hi, Moat.
Moat wrote:I can find no mouse configuration utility (sensitivity/acceleration) - should I try installing a .pet from an existing D/U-pup repo? Or would you recommend a proper .deb via Synaptic? Or if I could just find the config file here somewhere...
I don't think the one from Puppy (pupx if I do not mistake) will work in DD and the official Debian alternatives will add 25-30Mb space.
You can configure from command line using xset command. The default in DD is:

xset m 2 2
To see the difference change it to:

xset m 100 100
And try to find the best numbers for your needs.

Toni