Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 19 Nov 2019, 23:40
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
RAM and the Savefile
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 1 of 2 [25 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Author Message
nic007


Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Posts: 3140
Location: Cradle of Humankind

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jul 2018, 04:25    Post subject:  RAM and the Savefile  

Is it possible to load data completely into available RAM during a session without affecting the savefile (free space staying the same) and how? Could be useful.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
HerrBert

Joined: 03 Nov 2016
Posts: 100
Location: NRW, Germany

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jul 2018, 04:47    Post subject:  

doesn't Remove automatic pupsave for frugal installs do that?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
nic007


Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Posts: 3140
Location: Cradle of Humankind

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jul 2018, 05:15    Post subject:  

No, this question is about having a current savefile in operation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
watchdog

Joined: 28 Sep 2012
Posts: 1929
Location: Italy

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jul 2018, 07:46    Post subject:  

I would remaster or use an adrv.sfs and start a live session. But /mnt/home would not be useable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
nic007


Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Posts: 3140
Location: Cradle of Humankind

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jul 2018, 07:52    Post subject:  

watchdog wrote:
I would remaster or use an adrv.sfs and start a live session. But /mnt/home would not be useable.

Yes but that is not what the question is about.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
bigpup


Joined: 11 Oct 2009
Posts: 12862
Location: S.C. USA

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jul 2018, 11:28    Post subject:  

The pupmode can control this.

On a USB flash drive install of Puppy, with the save on the USB.
The save is loaded as read only to start out.
All changes and added data are in a tmp ramdisk.
You have Puppy set to dump the tmp ram disk, every 30 minutes or when you click on the save icon or when you shutdown.
This is pupmode 13.

If you set the pmedia= option, in the boot menu entry, to pmedia=usbflash it will operate Puppy as if it was on a USB flash drive. With above save operation.

Other options will be available in Puppy Event Manager>Save Session
No auto saving at a set time
Ask to save at shutdown

For this to work best.
You need to make the pmedia= change before making the save.

_________________
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected Shocked
YaPI(any iso installer) http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107601
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
hamoudoudou

Joined: 24 Jul 2014
Posts: 1467
Location: rabat

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jul 2018, 11:36    Post subject: pup_ro1 et pup_rw
Subject description: Pupmode 13
 

pup_ro1 et pup_rw are working together In RAM, than all your savefile is in RAM , see Pupmode 13
You can do for your savefile on hard disk considered as USB, then use Pupmode 13
20 pages of forum were needed to make it understood by VIPS (because they are VIPs or USA). With usual insults.
forum M?dor
Full in RAM has been lost because of devs coming from Linux and giving up Puppy Linux advantage.
sauvegarder01.jpg
 Description   Pup-r01 is in RAM
 Filesize   56.74 KB
 Viewed   218 Time(s)

sauvegarder01.jpg

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
watchdog

Joined: 28 Sep 2012
Posts: 1929
Location: Italy

PostPosted: Tue 03 Jul 2018, 23:25    Post subject:  

Consider also "pmedia=ataflash".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
nic007


Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Posts: 3140
Location: Cradle of Humankind

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jul 2018, 03:37    Post subject:  

Thanks, ataflash works with my HDD install. This is useful for those who work with a savefile (I don't, was just exploring a bit) because one can do major editing operations in RAM (if you have enough) without affecting the loaded savefile. I may consider going the very small savefile route again (which has its advantages over saving your system changes to an sfs file as it is R/W). Smile
Last edited by nic007 on Wed 04 Jul 2018, 03:57; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
nic007


Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Posts: 3140
Location: Cradle of Humankind

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jul 2018, 03:38    Post subject:  

Double post.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
greengeek


Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Posts: 5623
Location: Republic of Novo Zelande

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jul 2018, 04:05    Post subject: Re: pup_ro1 et pup_rw
Subject description: Pupmode 13
 

hamoudoudou wrote:
Full in RAM has been lost because of devs coming from Linux and giving up Puppy Linux advantage.
True.
However I don't use savefiles (have not used them for years) but I do wonder if you made a tiny savefile (256MB?) would it load into RAM? Have you tried this on an older pup rather than one of the non-puppy "Linux"es?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
greengeek


Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Posts: 5623
Location: Republic of Novo Zelande

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jul 2018, 04:12    Post subject:  

nic007 wrote:
Thanks, ataflash works with my HDD install. This is useful for those who work with a savefile (I don't, was just exploring a bit) because one can do major editing operations in RAM (if you have enough) without affecting the loaded savefile.
Oooh, thats interesting. When you say "without affecting the loaded savefile" do you mean that the RAM intensive work does not try to add itself to the savefile and require an increase in savefile size??
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
nic007


Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Posts: 3140
Location: Cradle of Humankind

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jul 2018, 05:20    Post subject:  

greengeek wrote:
nic007 wrote:
Thanks, ataflash works with my HDD install. This is useful for those who work with a savefile (I don't, was just exploring a bit) because one can do major editing operations in RAM (if you have enough) without affecting the loaded savefile.
Oooh, thats interesting. When you say "without affecting the loaded savefile" do you mean that the RAM intensive work does not try to add itself to the savefile and require an increase in savefile size??


Correct. If you have enough RAM, everything is done in RAM and not affecting the savefile at all, that is until that data is being saved to the savefile. However this is the beauty thereof - you can control when to save to savefile or not. Using ataflash will boot into pupmode 13. The default setting is that stuff in RAM will save automatically to savefile in intervals of 30 minutes during a session BUT you can change this interval in puppy event manager under system in menu. Changing it to 0, nothing will save automatically and gives you complete control when to save to savefile during a session or not, there already is a save icon on the desktop just for that. A little problem does arise at reboot/shutdown though where it seems as if the shutdown script saves the session anyhow no matter your settings. This behaviour can be overrided by just renaming the rc.shutdown script in /etc/rc.d to something like 1rc.shutdown so that it doesn't run or editing that script accordingly (if you can.) Smile

Last edited by nic007 on Wed 04 Jul 2018, 05:45; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
hamoudoudou

Joined: 24 Jul 2014
Posts: 1467
Location: rabat

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jul 2018, 05:35    Post subject: Nothing to add, what you say is perfect.  

nicoo7, you are the best ! Exclamation
Nothing to add, what you say is perfect.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
mfb

Joined: 22 Mar 2016
Posts: 90

PostPosted: Wed 04 Jul 2018, 06:21    Post subject:  

In addition to pmedia=ataflash, also install PupSaveConfig from your PPM and, optionally, set as per image below:
image.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   64.67 KB
 Viewed   165 Time(s)

image.jpg

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 2 [25 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0491s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0047s) ][ GZIP on ]