Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 25 Jan 2020, 07:58
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
How to install Opencpn in Puppy Slacko 6?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 4 [58 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
ais

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jul 2018, 00:51    Post subject:  How to install Opencpn in Puppy Slacko 6?  

I don't know where to post this, my apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

I managed to get Opencpn running in Debian, but i find this OS far too convoluted to use. Same in windows..
Seeing I can run Puppy from a flash drive on a laptop--> This would be ideal as per KISS principal
"How do I get it to run in Puppy slacko"?
The download link to Opencpn for Linux:
https://launchpad.net/~opencpn/+archive/ubuntu/opencpn
The link talks about installing from a PPA. But HOW??
Can anyone please help? Rolling Eyes
Many thanks
foxpup

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jul 2018, 05:34    Post subject:  

Here someone wants the same:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88052&sid=2674387f4560d5cce51005156713e953
But
Quote:
It is much easier just to download the .deb file and then click on it to install.

You are aware that you are looking into deb (ubuntu) packages on launchpad, and not slackware, while you are on slacko? It may work though! Very Happy
You could try a slackbuild, but that will be more work.
Xenialpup is the latest upup (ubuntu pup). There is also a testing version of bionic.

If you have missing dependencies, try first with the Puppy Package Manager to download them as the PPM will look for further dependencies.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jul 2018, 06:23    Post subject:  

Hallo, ais. And to 'the kennels'.

Foxpup is right in what he says.....up to a point. It's always better to use packages which are built for the distro your Puppy is based on; they stand a better chance of working with existing libs, dependencies, etc.

However, Puppy, instead of being a highly-strung pedigree animal (say, like Arch, for instance) is in many ways like a loveable old mongrel. It's got the basic traits of the pedigree animal.....but the characteristics of many different breeds. Which being the case, it will usually play happily with those others.....

You can often run .deb packages in many of the Slackos, and an awful lot of 'generic' Puppy packages have been built from .debs, .tgz packages, .rpms.....packages from all of the major Linux 'family' package manager file-types. Regardless of the packaging, the binaries/libraries, etc., inside the package will be the same. And if they've been built as 'all-in-ones;, with every necessary dependency included that the application needs to run, then they will very often work anywhere.

Many developers will usually provide binary packages in addition to archive/repository packages. Unfortunately, Opencpn appear to one of those who only provide archive/repository material.....and many developers in the Ubuntu 'ecosphere' are doing this now. It enables them to simply upgrade 'bits' of a package, instead of having to re-compile/re-package the whole thing.....in other words, doing it this way is more for the developer's benefit than anything else.

Even the Debian entry merely directs you to the Ubuntu PPA. If you really want to use this one, it looks like you're going to have to take the PPM editing route, and 'add' the PPA manually. Having never even attempted this before, I'm as much in the dark as you are. Do bear in mind, too, that even if you manage to add the PPA successfully, and download/install the program, there's still no guarantee that it'll actually run.

I take it you're a yachtsman, yes? What do you own; a sailing yacht, or a powerboat (just out of curiosity)? My old man was a keen yachtsman, and I was quite into nautical things when I was younger..... Smile

Mike. Wink

ais

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jul 2018, 07:08    Post subject:  

Thanks for the reply
I downloaded the package" 386 Precise version deb" as suggested in your link. I put the file on the desktop and clicked on it. It says "installed"
OK-- the executable file /usr/bin/opencpn was dragged to desktop, and shows up as a gear wheel and does not do anything..Now what? Please bear with me i am new to linux (after 23 yrs of windows).
(I did manage to get it working in Debian. must have been lucky last week., but getting rid of debian again. well..... that's a long story)
foxpup

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jul 2018, 08:09    Post subject:  

Don't drag the binary to the desktop. I hope that just creates a symlink.

Open a terminal and type 'opencpn' and see the answer in the terminal. Probably a lib missing.

Welcome to linux btw, and to the command console Wink
You will have no troubles with updates and viruses, to compensate Very Happy
ais

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jul 2018, 09:14    Post subject:  

It states;
libportaudio.so.2: cannot open shared object file: no such directory

How do I download it eg apt-get does not work here

BTW Your link states to download the i386 file , but my laptops are all amd64
foxpup

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jul 2018, 09:42    Post subject: the right version  

Package management is through the PPM (Puppy Package Manager) you can find in the menu. Before you use it, be sure to update it.
You can also uninstall a package from it. You may have to change the display to classic or old to have a list of user installed packages.
When you click a user installed package in the list it offers to uninstall the package.

Last edited by foxpup on Thu 05 Jul 2018, 09:49; edited 2 times in total
foxpup

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jul 2018, 09:48    Post subject:  

Quote:
BTW Your link states to download the i386 file , but my laptops are all amd64

Is the slacko you installed i386 or x86_64? You should look for a package with the same architecture.
Which slacko is it? 6.3.2? Precise is probably a bit old. Better take one from trusty or xenial, depends on your slacko version.
You can find different versions in launchpad.
I also found some txz, unofficial slackware versions, here:
https://slackware.pkgs.org/14.2/slackonly-x86_64/opencpn-4.8.0-x86_64-2_slonly.txz.html
It may be worth trying that if it suits your slacko version more or less.
ais

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jul 2018, 10:11    Post subject:  

thanks foxpup.
It is 02.10 hours here, I will have a look at this late this morning
rockedge

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jul 2018, 10:52    Post subject:  

I can give some tips on getting packages to work....I piece them together from many sources sometimes.....like Flatpak for example...I want to install GIMP 2.10.+ and it comes as a flatpak package now....so I find the the PPA for Flatpak...ppa:alexlarsson/flatpak.....I could go through the steps to add this PPA to the /root/.packages/DISTRO_COMPAT_REPOS which I can show how to do in another thread.......but lets go ahead and do it manually......I go the the actual location of the .deb which the search starts here: https://launchpad.net/~alexlarsson/+archive/ubuntu/flatpak.......I look for the link "Technical details about this PPA" and click on it...this reveals a path :
http://ppa.launchpad.net/alexlarsson/flatpak/ubuntu ...... I open this by clicking on it....... I want to end up here: http://ppa.launchpad.net/alexlarsson/flatpak/ubuntu/pool/main/f/flatpak/....now I see a list of .debs and since I am doing this on a BionicPup 18.05+7 I choose http://ppa.launchpad.net/alexlarsson/flatpak/ubuntu/pool/main/f/flatpak/flatpak_0.99.2-flatpak1~bionic_i386.deb and download it.
Now I simply click on the .deb file in the rox-filer and let it install.

So now I have flatpak but will it work? probably not but to troubleshoot I open a terminal and try
Code:
# flatpak
flatpak: error while loading shared libraries: libappstream-glib.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
#

okay....now I open the Puppy Package Manager (updated repos) and enter
"libappstream" in the search bar and wow PPM finds this:

and I let it install. and try again and I get:
Code:
# flatpak
flatpak: error while loading shared libraries: libostree-1.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
#

so go to the PPM and enter "libostree" and PPM finds the package that looks good...so I install it. try again and :
Code:
# flatpak
flatpak: error while loading shared libraries: libseccomp.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
#

so once again PPM my friend, searches and finds the package using "libseccomp" in the search bar and I install it and try again but oh no...
Code:
# flatpak
flatpak: /usr/lib/libostree-1.so.1: version `LIBOSTREE_2018.6' not found (required by flatpak)
#

wrong libostree?? okay so I search using in this case google for "LIBOSTREE_2018.6" and find this https://pkgs.org/download/libostree-1.so.1%28LIBOSTREE_2018.6%29

it's an RPM file but lets try it out so I download a copy that looks like it might be okay http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/updates/testing/27/x86_64/Packages/o/ostree-libs-2018.6-1.fc27.i686.rpm

it is an RPM so I use UExtract by right clicking on the file and extract to the spot directory and look what I have.... 2 directories "/etc and /usr" I just copy and MERGE the contents to the matching location in my Bionic Puppy. and try again....

Code:
# flatpak
Usage:
  flatpak [OPTION…] COMMAND

Builtin Commands:
 Manage installed apps and runtimes
  install             Install an application or runtime
  update              Update an installed application or runtime
  uninstall           Uninstall an installed application or runtime
  list                List installed apps and/or runtimes
  info                Show info for installed app or runtime
  config              Configure flatpak
  repair              Repair flatpak installation

Finding applications and runtimes
  search              Search for remote apps/runtimes

Running applications
  run                 Run an application
  override            Override permissions for an application
  make-current        Specify default version to run
  enter               Enter the namespace of a running application

Manage file access
  document-export     Grant an application access to a specific file
  document-unexport   Revoke access to a specific file
  document-info       Show information about a specific file
  document-list       List exported files

Manage remote repositories
  remotes             List all configured remotes
  remote-add          Add a new remote repository (by URL)
  remote-modify       Modify properties of a configured remote
  remote-delete       Delete a configured remote
  remote-ls           List contents of a configured remote
  remote-info         Show information about a remote app or runtime

Build applications
  build-init          Initialize a directory for building
  build               Run a build command inside the build dir
  build-finish        Finish a build dir for export
  build-export        Export a build dir to a repository
  build-bundle        Create a bundle file from a ref in a local repository
  build-import-bundle Import a bundle file
  build-sign          Sign an application or runtime
  build-update-repo   Update the summary file in a repository
  build-commit-from   Create new commit based on existing ref
  repo                Print information about a repo

Help Options:
  -h, --help             Show help options

Application Options:
  --version              Print version information and exit
  --default-arch         Print default arch and exit
  --supported-arches     Print supported arches and exit
  --gl-drivers           Print active gl drivers and exit
  -v, --verbose          Print debug information during command processing, -vv for more detail
  --ostree-verbose       Print OSTree debug information during command processing

error: No command specified
#

wow it works! using a Lib from Fedora as an RPM in my Ubuntu based Bionic Puppy Linux...
now I use the docs for Flatpak and add a repo:
Code:
flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://dl.flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo

then following the manual :
Code:

# flatpak search gimp
Application ID Version Branch Remotes Description                       
org.gimp.GIMP  2.10.4  stable flathub Create images and edit photographs
#

now getting there:
Code:
# flatpak install https://flathub.org/repo/appstream/org.gimp.GIMP.flatpakref
Installing: org.gimp.GIMP/i386/stable
Required runtime for org.gimp.GIMP/i386/stable (runtime/org.gnome.Platform/i386/3.28) found in remote flathub
Do you want to install it? [y/n]: y
Installing in system:
org.gnome.Platform/i386/3.28             flathub da4de388f109
org.freedesktop.Platform.ffmpeg/i386/1.6 flathub 3a0b926d19f8
org.gnome.Platform.Locale/i386/3.28      flathub d6164ced4fa3
org.gimp.GIMP/i386/stable                flathub 5f3a9b82f283
  permissions: ipc, network, x11
  file access: /tmp, host, xdg-config/GIMP, xdg-config/gtk-3.0
  dbus access: org.gtk.vfs, org.gtk.vfs.*
Is this ok [y/n]: y
Installing: org.gnome.Platform/i386/3.28 from flathub
[####################] 10 delta parts, 79 loose fetched; 276375 KiB transferred in 1029 seconds
Now at da4de388f109.
Installing: org.freedesktop.Platform.ffmpeg/i386/1.6 from flathub
[####################] 1 delta parts, 2 loose fetched; 2786 KiB transferred in 11 seconds
Now at 3a0b926d19f8.
Installing: org.gnome.Platform.Locale/i386/3.28 from flathub
[####################] 5 delta parts, 120 loose fetched; 95210 KiB transferred in 368 seconds
Now at d6164ced4fa3.
Installing: org.gimp.GIMP/i386/stable from flathub
[####################] 4 delta parts, 11 loose fetched; 57567 KiB transferred in 247 seconds
Now at 5f3a9b82f283.
#

now this step takes a moment or 2 to download build install but in the end I have a running GIMP 2.10.2 using :
Code:
flatpak run org.gimp.GIMP

to start Gimp.....but now I make a tiny script that does
Code:
#!/bin/sh
flatpak run org.gimp.GIMP &

or make a gimp.desktop that executes the same as the script.

So in summary I often use components from far flung places to get stuff to work in Puppy Linux.....which you would be surprised at what is possible.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jul 2018, 13:34    Post subject:  

ais:-

I had a look at this earlier on this afternoon.

Mainly, that Precise package is missing the entire WxWidgets library (and it has to be a specific version), tinyxml, and a couple of others (I think I already had libportaudio installed from a webcam app). But even after you chase those down and install them, you then end up hitting a 'symbol lookup error'. And that, 999 times out of 1000, is usually a dead-end.

I'd try a newer Puppy. Oh, BTW; it's perfectly possible to run a 32-bit OS on a 64-bit machine.....but you cannot do it t'other way round. A 64-bit OS will not run on a 32-bit CPU, because the processor is missing the crucial, additional registers that are needed for processing 64-bit code...

Mike. Wink

mikeb

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jul 2018, 16:24    Post subject:  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z9xnbwov0np0l2n/OpenCPN-2.3.1_sfs4.sfs?dl=1
~17MB
Open CPN working sfs for Lucid...it in theory should be ok for later pups and certainly does not need flaming portaudio Smile

Can't check here but sure it has needed wxwidgets.
It was extracted from a sea faring puppy based on lucid...my attempts from debs were unstable...wxwidgets is like that.
I have the same version more or less on XP...both seem to work quite happily and provide a useful plotter program.
I use those CM93 charts by the way.
I also have a copy of a free version for Android I found online...again older but usable for me phone or a tablet.... let me know if you want a copy as I cannot remember where I found the link.
mike
mikeslr

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jul 2018, 17:01    Post subject:  

Hi ais,

I agree with what's been said so far. But it would help us to help you if we knew something about your computer, especially how much RAM it has. Unless your computer is more than 5 years old, it is likely able to run 64-bit operating systems. Puppies newer than Precise may require more RAM to be practical whether the newer Puppy is a 32 or 64 bit OS. A 64-bit Puppy can run 32-bit applications, but not vice-versa. For a 64-bit Puppy to run 32-bit Applications, a 32-bit compatibility application would have to be installed.

Since you could run Opencpn under debian, I guessed that there would be packages available for Ubuntu. There are for Trusty Tahr, Xenial Xerus and Bionic Beaver. Tahrpup, Xenialpup and upupbb are, respectively, created using binaries from those Ubnutus, are binary-compatible and the Menu>Setup>Puppy Package Manager of those Puppies provides access to the appropriate Ubuntu repositories. So, for example, if your application under Tahrpup requires lib_abc the search box in Tahrpup's Puppy Package Manager will find it.

Mike Walsh is almost correct about Puppies being able to use libraries (files) from anywhere. That's true about 90% of the time, maybe more. But for example lib_abc from a slackware repository was compiled to work under Slackware while those from a Ubuntu Trusty Tahr repository were compiled to work under Trusty Tahr. Occasionally, there was a subtitle difference in how a library was compiled and it can't be used with a different Linux. But, as I mentioned, Ubuntu Puppies are binary compatible to the version of Ubuntu their package manager offers.

Again using Tahrpup as an example, selecting "download all and dependencies" on Puppy Package Manager's Top-Right tool may download the application and all dependencies. Double-clicking a "deb" file will install it.

Additionally, for example, if there's a problem with opencpn, googling "ubuntu opencpn" or "Ubuntu Trusty opencpn" can locate a useful discussion of how the problem was resolved under Ubuntu.

Final note for now, you mentioned that the executable was /usr/bin/opencpn. Newer Puppies have the application "LDD List Dynamic Dependencies" built in, located on Menu>Utilities. You can start it from the menu, browse to that executable or File-browse to the executable, right-click it and select LDD from the pop-up menu. Either way, Ldd will provide either a full report of all libraries required --including those "not found"-- or by clicking the "missing" tool at the bottom, just a list of what's missing.

I don't know if Precise includes LDD, but you can install the latest version form here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=802028#802028

mikesLr
ais

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jul 2018, 20:31    Post subject:  

mikeb wrote:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z9xnbwov0np0l2n/OpenCPN-2.3.1_sfs4.sfs?dl=1
~17MB
Open CPN working sfs for Lucid...it in theory should be ok for later pups and certainly does not need flaming portaudio Smile

Can't check here but sure it has needed wxwidgets.
It was extracted from a sea faring puppy based on lucid...my attempts from debs were unstable...wxwidgets is like that.
I have the same version more or less on XP...both seem to work quite happily and provide a useful plotter program.
I use those CM93 charts by the way.
I also have a copy of a free version for Android I found online...again older but usable for me phone or a tablet.... let me know if you want a copy as I cannot remember where I found the link.
mike

Thanks Mike, Unfortunately the link you give does not seem to work for me.
I can get opencpn working on XP & Android, but not on Linux Puppy6.3
This is becoming a bit of a challenge now.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jul 2018, 20:41    Post subject:  

Hi again, ais.

To confirm:-

Mikeb's OpenCPN SFS works well. I run rerwin's Lucid 5.2.8.7-sulu002 (amongst many others). The package loads, and runs from the Menu.....after modifying the .desktop entry in /usr/share/applications.

Change it from:-

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=openCPN
GenericName=openCPN
Comment=View seacharts and gps
Type=Application
Exec=opencpn
Icon=opencpn.png
Categories=Navigation

.....and alter the last entry. I've put it under Personal, so it reads like this:-

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=openCPN
GenericName=openCPN
Comment=View seacharts and gps
Type=Application
Exec=opencpn
Icon=opencpn.png
Categories=X-Personal;

.....followed by running 'fixmenus' in the terminal, then re-starting 'X' (Menu->Shutdown->Restart X server.)

Puppy, of course, doesn't have a 'Navigation' category in the Menu..!

-------------------------------------

A good source for the CM93 charts would appear to be here:-

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/KAP-charts_from_OpenSeaMap#Download

I've downloaded the 'British Channel' bundle to try them out. They're easily added through the Toolbox; just select the location where you've downloaded them to (you'll need to extract the download first!), followed by ticking the 'Force Database Rebuild' checkbox, then clicking 'OK'.

---------------------------------------

You can find rerwin's 'Lucid Puppy Revitalized' thread here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90461

This definitely runs in the Sulu002 variant.....but I think it should run in all versions, TBH.

(Remember what I said earlier on; even if your hardware is 64-bit, it will run 32-bit Puppies with no problem.)

-----------------------------------------

No need to uninstall your current Puppy; you can add a second Puppy alongside it with minimal fuss; much easier to do once you have one installed already.

I won't go into details here; it would be better for you to start a new thread on the subject. You'll not be short on helpers, trust me!

Thanks, Mike! Very much appreciated... Very Happy

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Thu 05 Jul 2018, 21:22; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 4 [58 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: