(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 23 Sep 2020, 13:28
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
How to install Opencpn in Puppy Slacko 6?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 2 of 4 [58 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
ais

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jul 2018, 21:10    Post subject:  

foxpup wrote:
Quote:
BTW Your link states to download the i386 file , but my laptops are all amd64

Is the slacko you installed i386 or x86_64? You should look for a package with the same architecture.
Which slacko is it? 6.3.2? Precise is probably a bit old. Better take one from trusty or xenial, depends on your slacko version.
You can find different versions in launchpad.
I also found some txz, unofficial slackware versions, here:
https://slackware.pkgs.org/14.2/slackonly-x86_64/opencpn-4.8.0-x86_64-2_slonly.txz.html
It may be worth trying that if it suits your slacko version more or less.

The version is slacko 6.3.0 The laptops run 64 bit but can run 32 bit also.
# upgradepkg --install-new opencpn-4.8.0-x86_64-2_slonly.txz -->I get upgradepkg Command not found.
So I just clicked on the file and it " installed "itself .
I presume the install still does not work as I cant find an execute file(shortcut) anywhere (whereis opencpn)
I was wondering if one install does not work, do I leave is as is, remove it?(In this case HOW?) or just install a new version irrespective ?
But I cant find a executable eg I found a opencpn.desktop icon , but it does nothing( maybe this is a leftover from a previous "install" i don't know)
ais

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jul 2018, 22:45    Post subject:  

Mike Walsh wrote:
Hi again, ais.

To confirm:-

Mikeb's OpenCPN SFS works well. I run rerwin's Lucid 5.2.8.7-sulu002 (amongst many others). The package loads, and runs from the Menu.....after modifying the .desktop entry in /usr/share/applications.

Change it from:-

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=openCPN
GenericName=openCPN
Comment=View seacharts and gps
Type=Application
Exec=opencpn
Icon=opencpn.png
Categories=Navigation

.....and alter the last entry. I've put it under Personal, so it reads like this:-

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=openCPN
GenericName=openCPN
Comment=View seacharts and gps
Type=Application
Exec=opencpn
Icon=opencpn.png
Categories=X-Personal;

.....followed by running 'fixmenus' in the terminal, then re-starting 'X' (Menu->Shutdown->Restart X server.)

Puppy, of course, doesn't have a 'Navigation' category in the Menu..!

-------------------------------------

A good source for the CM93 charts would appear to be here:-

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/KAP-charts_from_OpenSeaMap#Download

I've downloaded the 'British Channel' bundle to try them out. They're easily added through the Toolbox; just select the location where you've downloaded them to (you'll need to extract the download first!), followed by ticking the 'Force Database Rebuild' checkbox, then clicking 'OK'.

---------------------------------------

You can find rerwin's 'Lucid Puppy Revitalized' thread here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90461

This definitely runs in the Sulu002 variant.....but I think it should run in all versions, TBH.

(Remember what I said earlier on; even if your hardware is 64-bit, it will run 32-bit Puppies with no problem.)

-----------------------------------------

No need to uninstall your current Puppy; you can add a second Puppy alongside it with minimal fuss; much easier to do once you have one installed already.

I won't go into details here; it would be better for you to start a new thread on the subject. You'll not be short on helpers, trust me!

Thanks, Mike! Very much appreciated... Very Happy

Mike. Wink

I tried the download link again. this time it worked
unzipped it with 7zip in win7 , moved the file to puppy downloads folder, clicked on the file.Q. "Do you want to install? Yes . and from her on in, it has disappeared . Th only trace i can find in in /usr/bin/opencpn & /usr/share/opencpn All folders without an executable
No desktop entry to be found.

Thanks for the link to the chart files, only 1 year old, will come in handy. Currently I have worldwide vector charts loaded in Win, but they are a few years old , the new ones are a great addition. (Opencpn can run Vector and raster charts side by side)
Thanks, Mike! Very much appreciated... Very Happy
foxpup

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jul 2018, 04:48    Post subject:  

ais wrote:
Is the slacko 32bit or 64bit? On a 64bit machine you can choose, but you better take 64bit version of a program on a 64bit slacko and 32bit version on a 32bit slacko.
32bit program may run on 64bit slacko, but not necessarily and it may need 32bit compatibility pack.
Quote:
# upgradepkg --install-new opencpn-4.8.0-x86_64-2_slonly.txz -->I get upgradepkg Command not found.
Perfect. That is the way to install, just click the package and it will be offered to install it.
Quote:
I presume the install still does not work as I cant find an execute file(shortcut) anywhere (whereis opencpn)
I was wondering if one install does not work, do I leave is as is, remove it?(In this case HOW?) or just install a new version irrespective ?
You better remove first, because now you probably have a mix that can not work properly.
You can do that in the PPM as explained. Anything that is installed should be listed there.
It may be better to just start from scratch if the mix you made is too messy.
You can do that by copying your pupsave file; on the next boot you will be offered to choose which pupsave to use or to use none, which is what you choose for a fresh start.
Quote:
But I cant find a executable eg I found a opencpn.desktop icon , but it does nothing( maybe this is a leftover from a previous "install" i don't know)
You did manage to start it up in the terminal when you got the message about the missing libportaudio.
Did you try to get missing dependencies/libs? I think that is the problem in the first place, missing dependencies.
To search in Puppy there is Pfind (in menu>documents?).

Just one other thing. Slacko 6.3.0 is not the latest one. There is slacko 6.3.2 and even slacko RC/6.9.9.9.
The latest and best supported Puppy is now Xenialpup. It can use all the ubuntu packages through the PPM, easier to resolve the missing dependencies then slacko.
Does it have to be slacko 6.3.0? You may consider using another Puppy. It depends a little on the specs of your machine. What machine is it?
foxpup

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jul 2018, 05:04    Post subject:  

Quote:
I tried the download link again. this time it worked
unzipped it with 7zip in win7 , moved the file to puppy downloads folder, clicked on the file.Q. "Do you want to install? Yes . and from her on in, it has disappeared . Th only trace i can find in in /usr/bin/opencpn & /usr/share/opencpn All folders without an executable
No desktop entry to be found.
You need not unzip the .sfs. Puppy can load .sfs files! Probably messed it up. Try again with a fresh start/pupsave.
ais

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jul 2018, 06:07    Post subject:  

foxpup wrote:
ais wrote:
Is the slacko 32bit or 64bit? On a 64bit machine you can choose, but you better take 64bit version of a program on a 64bit slacko and 32bit version on a 32bit slacko.
32bit program may run on 64bit slacko, but not necessarily and it may need 32bit compatibility pack.
Quote:
Perfect. That is the way to install, just click the package and it will be offered to install it.
Quote:
You better remove first, because now you probably have a mix that can not work properly.
You can do that in the PPM as explained. Anything that is installed should be listed there.
It may be better to just start from scratch if the mix you made is too messy.
You can do that by copying your pupsave file; on the next boot you will be offered to choose which pupsave to use or to use none, which is what you choose for a fresh start.
Quote:
You did manage to start it up in the terminal when you got the message about the missing libportaudio.
Did you try to get missing dependencies/libs? I think that is the problem in the first place, missing dependencies.
To search in Puppy there is Pfind (in menu>documents?).

Just one other thing. Slacko 6.3.0 is not the latest one. There is slacko 6.3.2 and even slacko RC/6.9.9.9.
The latest and best supported Puppy is now Xenialpup. It can use all the ubuntu packages through the PPM, easier to resolve the missing dependencies then slacko.
Does it have to be slacko 6.3.0? You may consider using another Puppy. It depends a little on the specs of your machine. What machine is it?

On line I could only find puppy 5 and 6.3, i choose the latter
After the download I could not make heads nor tails out of it as searching for a file was a major(impossible) so, I installed Thunar, because it gave me a "decent" file manager, tuned out to be the same old,--> I was used to windows explorer.
(I did manage to install opencpn & a wifi connection in Debian, a few weeks ago, but I deleted it .. Must have been my lucky day)
I have tried to do things that a couple of people suggested in this forum. Now I have no idea where I am anymore.
I find linux very confusing, as I just do what people in this forum suggest (or the internet), As I don't understand what I am doing with these 'convoluted' commands (it's much worse than DOS 5-6 command lines over 20 year ago)

OK some info you asked for :
Is puppy6.3 ,32 or 64bit I have no idea. (Just a download)

I have mainly Lenovo's: 2xT410 4G DDR3, 1xT61 4GB DDR2, a T60 4GB and a Toshiba Portege R830 6GB ram and 25 years experience with MS Windows from DOS 5 to Win 10, in the mix are also a couple of 10" samsung android Tablets.
All laptops & tablets run Opencpn and receive NMEA data (AIS & GPS, Autopilot ) via wifi around my boat. All working fine.
(one can never have too many backups at sea)

The challenge i set myself was to be able to run a system like this, but of a memory stick and just about use any old laptop for navigation. So that I can give it to friends, -->which would restrict it to 32bit (16bit is too far in the past)

Maybe I should wipe all the linux stuff, format their partitions and start again, as you suggest.
BUT I can;t do it myself as shown in this forum.
It does not have to be Puppy6.3. , I am always happy to take advice and open to suggestions.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jul 2018, 06:38    Post subject:  

Morning, ais.

ais wrote:
Maybe I should wipe all the linux stuff, format their partitions and start again, as you suggest.
It does not have to be Puppy6.3. , I am always happy to take advice and open to suggestions.

Right. Now, then; let's see if we can't sort this out.

First things first; you say you want to run this from a memory stick. I presume you're running Slacko 6.3.0 from a stick at the moment, yes? So; have you got a spare stick to 'play with'?

I hate to say this, but having nearly 25 years experience with DOS & Windows is actually your biggest hurdle. You're just too used to doing things the M$ way. When you come to Linux, you are in fact back to the status of a raw beginner, so you have to approach the whole thing from that angle.

No 'insult' intended..! Smile

ais wrote:

Nonsense! If a complete idiot like me can do this, I'm quite sure you're more than capable of doing so. You've got one Puppy running, so we just need to set up a second Puppy, on a memory stick, that will run the OpenCPN package from MikeB that I've proved does work.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Are you happy to set up a second 'Puppy on a stick'? Have you still got the inclination to try.....because this can be done, with a wee bit of patience? You can use Puppy just for OpenCPN; it sounds like you have other machines/OSes for other 'stuff'.

If so, then the first thing to do will be to download the Lucid 5.2.8.7 'lupusuper2' variant. You can download the one you'll want from here:-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/47druy8pc8z2z36/lupusuper2-5.2.8.7-k3.2.48-20171125.iso/file

All we need to do is:

1 ) Put Lucid on a stick.
2 ) Get it booting.
3 ) Load the OpenCPN package Mikeb provided.
4 ) Do a wee bit of editing, and.....you should have OpenCPN running on a memory stick, that you can use on any old laptop.

(As with all enthusiastic, user-driven forums, we've perhaps overwhelmed you with an awful lot of information & suggestions in a very short space of time; it's not really surprising that you're floundering like a fish out of water...)

So; baby steps; one thing at a time.....OK?

Are you still 'up for the challenge'? Shocked Very Happy

Mike. Wink

ais

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jul 2018, 06:58    Post subject:  

Yes. Its still downloading
Pretty slow connection down under Laughing
ais

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jul 2018, 07:06    Post subject:  

OK ISO is downloaded
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jul 2018, 07:17    Post subject:  

Hi, ais.

Right. Now; do you have a spare 'stick' handy? Anything of, say, 4 GB or larger will be OK, although I personally prefer at least 8 GB.

You'll need to be in Slacko 6.3.0 to do this, and the first thing we will need to do is to format the stick so that Puppy can use it.

Back to you.....

Mike. Wink

ais

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jul 2018, 07:29    Post subject:  

i am juggling 2 laptops am swapping over

Ok got one running on puppy
Plugged in are 2 mem stick 1 new with the 2 files and the other with pup 6 on it
sdb1 in puppy sdc1 is the new stick
foxpup

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jul 2018, 07:37    Post subject:  

I think it would be easier as a "raw beginner", ais.

I think you have a good proposal, Mike.
I have one remark.
Is it possible just like that to have a Puppy on a stick running on different machines? In the pupsave is information about the (first) configuration (screen/X, network) for the machine where the Puppy was running. On the next machine this configuration may not work. Or am I wrong?
I am not sure how to solve this.
I would put the opencpn of Mikeb, with its dependencies, in the main sfs, a manual remaster. If I find time I may do it myself.
To have the possibility to run without pupsave (for the first run on a machine) I would make 2 pupsaves on the stick right from the start.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jul 2018, 07:42    Post subject:  

@ ais:-

Just clarify one thing for me, please?

Currently:-

sdb1 is Slacko 6.3.0, yes?
sdc1 has 'the 2 new files'?

What '2 new files'? Are you talking about the lupusuper2 ISO and Mikeb's OpenCPN SFS package?

If 'Yes', you'll need to temporarily transfer those to a safe location on the Slacko 630 stick (sdb1). We need to format sdc1 so that Puppy can use it, and doing so will delete everything on it, y'see..!

Let me know when you've done that, and then we'll move on to using gParted to format sdc1. With me so far?

Mike. Wink

ais

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jul 2018, 07:47    Post subject:  

sdb1 is Slacko 6.3.0, yes? yes
sdc1 has 'the 2 new files'? yes new stick

What '2 new files'? Are you talking about the lupusuper2 ISO and Mikeb's OpenCPN SFS package? yes
I transfered both files to the download folder. sdc1 is MT but is FAT32 16GB
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jul 2018, 07:49    Post subject:  

@ foxpup:-

Yup; I agree with you. For a single-purpose Puppy, a re-master with OpenCPN 'built-in' would be the way to go. It's what I'd do myself.

But you have to remember; we're talking about this kinda stuff from the point of view of 'initiates' who know what we're doing. From the point of view of an 'outsider', i.e., a complete beginner (like ais), it's just so much 'gobbledeygook'. It sounds like black magic!

So for his purposes, a straight-forward USB install of Lucid, followed by loading the SFS, will, I think, suffice for what's required. (I hope..!!) Laughing

Mike. Wink

foxpup

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jul 2018, 08:20    Post subject:  

Mike, I agree. Go ahead.

Just found of the solution to carry same Puppy on a stick around on different machines. Save the pupsave on the machine, not on the stick. So simple!
Page 2 of 4 [58 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: