Firefox ver. 61

Booting, installing, newbie
Freddie1

Firefox ver. 61

#1 Post by Freddie1 »

Just installed Slacko 5.7 and then informed by Firefox that it is quite out of date. Is there any tutorial on the correct way to upgrade firefox. Cannot be done from the package manager.

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, Freddie1.

Slacko 570, huh? Excellent choice; good Pup (rock-solid, and v.stable).....but, as you say, FF as included is pretty old (17esr, I believe..?)

Easiest way to get up-to-date Firefox-Quantum; download Fredx181's 'Portable-Firefox' from here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112376

Unpack the package, and place the resulting firefox32 directory into /opt.

So long as you start it from the included 'ff' script on the first run, it will remain completely self-contained, setting up your profile inside the 'firefox32' directory.

If you then install the attached 'MenuEntry.pet' you can start Quantum-portable from Menu->Internet from then on. Hope that helps.

Posting from Fred's Quantum-portable (currently at 61.0.2) in Slacko 570 ATM.

Mike. :wink:
Attachments
FF_Quantum_portable-MenuEntry.pet
Menu entry for Fred's Quantum-portable, when running from /opt....
(77.29 KiB) Downloaded 70 times

watchdog

#3 Post by watchdog »

Accordingly to this thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=113833

slacko 5.7 needs an upgrade of libdbus to run the latest firefox. Not yet personally tested. I packaged firefox-61.0.1-en_US-x86-p571.pet which should work in slacko 5.7, too. It has builtin apulse and libdbus upgrade from dpup-wheezy. It installs along the builtin outdated firefox and does not interfere with it. It makes itself the default browser overwriting /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser. No more needed quirky settings in about:config for sound working. It should autoupdate to firefox 61.0.2. Download link at:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 552#999552

Remember to install gtk+3 by PPM.

If you will use other lacalized firefox untar it in /usr/local after installing my pet.

Mike Walsh

#4 Post by Mike Walsh »

Thanks for the reminder about libdbus, watchdog.

I don't recall having updated libdbus in Slacko 570 myself, but I would guess I must have done at some point. Either that, or it got updated due to something else I'd installed in recent months.

Nevertheless, useful information to have. Cheers.

Sylvander

#5 Post by Sylvander »

watchdog wrote:I packaged firefox-61.0.1-en_US-x86-p571.pet which should work in slacko 5.7, too. It has builtin apulse and libdbus upgrade from dpup-wheezy. It installs along the builtin outdated firefox and does not interfere with it. It makes itself the default browser overwriting /usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser. No more needed quirky settings in about:config for sound working. It should autoupdate to firefox 61.0.2. Download link at:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 552#999552

Remember to install gtk+3 by PPM.
This is working well for me in Slacko-5.7.0-pae. :D
Firefox has up-dated to 61.0.2

Mike Walsh

#6 Post by Mike Walsh »

watchdog wrote:Accordingly to this thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=113833

slacko 5.7 needs an upgrade of libdbus to run the latest firefox.
@ watchdog:-

Now, this has got me thinking. I was looking at the newest version of Thunderbird that's just been released (v.60.0).....the one with the new 'Photon' interface, which as far as I can tell is using the same engine & stuff as Quantum.

Tried it in 570 last night, and just now in Precise 571. In both cases, running as a trial from /mnt/home, it gives me this in the terminal:-

Code: Select all

# /mnt/home/thunderbird/thunderbird

/mnt/home/thunderbird/thunderbird: symbol lookup error: /initrd/mnt/dev_save/thunderbird/libxul.so: undefined symbol: dbus_validate_bus_name
What d'you think? Libdbus again, is my guess, so.....use the Wheezy version?

watchdog

#7 Post by watchdog »

Use Uextract to extract the content of my firefox pet. In /lib you can find the needed libdbus-1.so.3 from dpup-wheezy. You can leave it /lib also in slacko 5.7: in precise the original libdbus is in /lib. The original libdbus in slacko 5.7 is in /usr/lib but that in /lib has priority in the path.

8Geee

#8 Post by 8Geee »

BTW... as soon as you get Slacko5.7 "fixed" to your liking, make a remaster ed version. This will save you gobs of time if the excrement strikes the motorized oscillatory metal cloverleaf. (translation: if the crap hits the fan)

As a second point, but I'm way too late again... theres a preconfigured Firefox-27 located here. Theres no need to upgrade anything, and its useable on youtube, ebay, alibaba, etc, but not useable on facebook or twitter.

FWIW
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

watchdog

#9 Post by watchdog »

@8Geee

You are not answering the question about this thread. I respect your opinion even though I do not understand very well. Nothing personal.

Mike Walsh

#10 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, watchdog.
watchdog wrote:Use Uextract to extract the content of my firefox pet. In /lib you can find the needed libdbus-1.so.3 from dpup-wheezy. You can leave it /lib also in slacko 5.7: in precise the original libdbus is in /lib. The original libdbus in slacko 5.7 is in /usr/lib but that in /lib has priority in the path.
Yep; that's done it. T-Bird 60 is now working happily in Slacko 570. I'll be trying this out in a few other 5-series Pups tomorrow; Precise 571, Slacko 560, Upup Raring....and Sailor's 'take' on Slacko 570, Slacko_571.

Thanks, mi amigo. Appreciated.