Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 18 Oct 2018, 10:35
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
GIMP/Open Office for Xenialpup64-7.5
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
boof

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jul 2018, 04:02    Post subject:  GIMP/Open Office for Xenialpup64-7.5  

open office needed because of font changes in Libre Office upsetting document paginations-too much work to re-edit document again to fit on page size. GIMP needed for artworks--no Pets for either listed, or will have to use older puppy. advice pls. this work has taken years to create, and updating the software incorrectly may corrupt the text layout and artistic content.
april

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jul 2018, 05:46    Post subject:  

I believe gimp is available in the PPM

Open office just go to the web site and download the latest 64 bit source and compile or a suitable binary if you can find one.
https://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html also gives you a 64 bit .deb file that may work but its 153Mb so I'm not going to try it for you.
watchdog

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jul 2018, 08:28    Post subject:  

For Gimp there also are appimages. See for example:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=996233#996233

About openoffice OscarTalks has built an sfs en_GB but it is x86. I have an sfs it_IT amd64. I think it can be also used with english local. I can give a link to you in italianpuppy.org:

https://www.italianpuppy.org/community/index.php?topic=1446.0
bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jul 2018, 12:00    Post subject:  

Go to Puppy Package Manager(PPM)
Do an update of the database in configure.

Do a search for Gimp, it has one.
Works for me in Xenialpup64 7.5

mikeslr

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jul 2018, 19:18    Post subject:  

Hi boof,

Musher0 has published an Apache OpenOffice 64-bit (Eng -Gb variant). You'll find it here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=898932#898932. You may want to use the AAOO_menu.pet you find at the end of the instructions I provided further down that thread as to how to build your own. There's a link on my post to where you can find the Publisher's version along with language packs.

To avoid the possibility that opening a document in AAOO may throw off your paginations, perhaps its best to copy a particularly complicated file and open the copy.
boof

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jul 2018, 04:02    Post subject:  

Goy gimp.

open office-made pet file as instructed, but it won't install. /Temp/failed_to_install* contains the pet twice. I don't know whats happening-my processor is 64bit celeron, not amd,, if that helps. Machine it's for is 64bit Levono 100s 14PBR.
april

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jul 2018, 07:28    Post subject:  

Hmm no thank you's or common courtesy of any kind .
Start to wonder why I bother

Go to Musher''s site above and get the .sfs file . Make sure its saved in /mnt/home/ with any other .sfs files
Go to menu/Setup/sfs on the fly
Select Open office and load it

Go to /etc/openoffice4
look for /program/soffice and click on it
Put a link on the desktop
I found an icon for the link by running icon finder in the menu then droping it into the desktop link. Its filed away in some wierd place . Don't know why it does not put it in the menu . It should . The .sfs maker probably forgot that bit

Last edited by april on Sun 08 Jul 2018, 16:51; edited 4 times in total
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jul 2018, 10:42    Post subject:  

Hi April,

People who are confused and frustrated can't be expected to act courteously. And when you've relieved their frustration they are frequently so overcome with joy that they run off and celebrate. The only thing common about courtesy is its infrequency.

Boof, follow April's advice. Use the aOO-4.1.2_amd64_en-GB.sfs musher0 provided here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=899035#899035. Amd64 is only one method of designating that it pertains to a 64-bit system. Such applications are not confined to 64-bit Amd processors*. But, install the Menu pet I provided here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=979413#979413. It is "no-arch", so can be used whether your Apache OpenOffice is 32 or 64 bit. That way, you won't have to browse to the executable to start one of the modules.

FWIW, with "large" applications such as OpenOffice, always prefer an SFS to a pet. Even when you haven't opened it, an installed pet will use more of your RAM than an SFS.

mikesLr

* Amd beat Intel in the race to create 64-bit systems. So the earliest applications for those systems carried the designation amd64 to distinguish them from applications for 32-bit systems resulting in a tradition as to how to name such applications. But it is only a tradition, not a limitation. When Intel got around to developing a 64-bit system, the tradition of applying the designation "x86_64" to 64-bit applications was started. It also is just a naming tradition. x86_64 applications will run under Amd64 operating systems.
ITSMERSH

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jul 2018, 11:45    Post subject:  

Quote:
Make sure its saved in root

In my humble opinion: NO, JUST DON'T DO THAT!

In all newer Puppies (sfs_load beyond 2.0) the .sfs will be removed from /root when un-loading the .sfs after using its programs. You would need to download again!

Instead store it to /mnt/home or to /mnt/home/YourPuppyDirectory.

april

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jul 2018, 16:31    Post subject:  

ITSMERSH wrote:
Quote:
Make sure its saved in root

In my humble opinion: NO, JUST DON'T DO THAT!

/mnt/home/ is correct . My errror I have corrected above
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: