Hard drive boot hangs [SOLVED]

Using applications, configuring, problems
WoodLark

Hard drive boot hangs [SOLVED]

#1 Post by WoodLark »

I messed up! I tried to copy my running Tahrpup 6.0.6 (frugal) from one computer to another using Clonezilla. Instead of copying, it did something (?) to my source drive.

I can boot from the live cd, and it finds my tahrsave folder and all of my settings are intact. If I boot from the hard drive, it says it finds the tahrsave folder, but it reaches the point of root login, and asks for a password. I have entered what I know to be the correct password, and I am told it is an "incorrect login".

I tried booting from the CD and creating a new password, hoping it would save that setting when I rebooted. That didn't work.

I really don't want to have to boot from the CD all the time, so if anyone can point me in the right direction, it will be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by WoodLark on Mon 09 Jul 2018, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

What boot loader is used on the hard drive?
If it is Grub4dos.
Try using the boot option, in the advanced menu, to boot not using the save.
If it boots OK.
Something in the save, is not compatible with the hardware, on this different computer.
So it needs a save specific to this computer, made on this computer.

Boot with the CD, using the boot option puppy pfix=ram, to make sure the internal drive is not mounted.
Run Gparted.
Do a check of the partitions(S) on the hard drive.
This should come up with no errors.
If it finds errors.
Keep checking until it reports no errors.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

WoodLark

#3 Post by WoodLark »

bigpup,

Thanks for the reply, but I think you may have misunderstood my problem. The copy to the second computer never happened.

The problem is with the original computer which worked fine before I started trying to use Clonezilla. Clonezilla started doing something (I don't know what) before I even told it to start copying. I broke out of the program and tried to reboot the computer. That is when I encountered the problem.

If I boot from the live CD, all of the modifications I made to puppy including added software, etc. works perfectly which tells me my Tahrsave folder is ok. But, when I try to boot from the hard drive, it gets to a prompt asking for the root password. I can' get pas that prompt even though I enter the correct password (X doesn't start). I know the password is correct because I can use it to FTP into the system after booting from the CD.

WoodLark

#4 Post by WoodLark »

I am still not sure exactly what Clonezilla did to my system, but I was able to fix it.

I booted from the CD, selecting the "No save file option".
I then re-installed puppy (in the same location as before).
I also re-installed the Grub4Dos bootloader.
I then rebooted telling Puppy not to create a save file/folder.

When I rebooted from the hard drive everything worked great. The nice thing about Puppy Frugal is that a re-install of the OS does not (necessarily) wipe out all your settings.

BTW, instead of using Clonezilla to copy to another computer, I simply made a squashfs file of my tahrsave folder, installed puppy to the second computer, copied the squashfs file using gftp then unsquashed it. Voila! I then had two identical computers. Of course, I then changed the ip address and hostname on the second computer.