SNS and places with over 80-100 wifi signals

Please post any bugs you have found
Sailor Enceladus

SNS and places with over 80-100 wifi signals

#1 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

I had trouble connecting using SNS at the mall using a recently built Slacko64 with woof-CE, and found out it was because "iwlist $INTERFACE scan" cuts out all the information beyond around the 80-100th signal and then SNS borks because it only has partial information for the last one it's able to store (I think) or can't get crucial information from the bottom, or something like that.

Using frisbee, I was finally able to connect, but it took a long time because frisbee only seems to display the 30 closest of the ~100 connections, and if yours isn't one of those it chooses you're SOL. I edited a line in frisbee func from 6 5 4 3 2 1 to 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 and it was more successful it seems, or maybe I just got lucky.

In the attached example, SNS finds 108 connections but $SCANRESULT is cut-off midway through Cell 94 (though usually it cuts out the information somewhere between 80-85). Since the information is correct in rc_network_wireless_connections_log and not cut off there, perhaps there's a better way to put that into "$SCANRESULT"?
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(22.64 KiB) Downloaded 626 times
rc_network_wireless_connection_log.gz
This popular location with 108 wifi signals seems too much for sns
(24.5 KiB) Downloaded 246 times

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Wow. The Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory at the New Sudbury Centre has free wifi!

It appears that you have Broadcom WiFi and are using the in-kernel b43 driver. And it looks like the adapter might have dropped its connection prematurely during the scan phase.

[Edit] See below.

I wonder if the vendor wl driver might work better.

[Correction] The RMCF access points are all encrypted. I guess that they don't want to enable two addictions at the same time.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sun 24 Jun 2018, 17:37, edited 1 time in total.

musher0

#3 Post by musher0 »

Chocolate and wifi. :lol:
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

s243a

#4 Post by s243a »

I had a similar problem with "Network Wizard" before, where I resolved it by getting it to do more scans. I"m not sure if it is applicable here but it did take code modification.

rcrsn51

#5 Post by rcrsn51 »

SNS runs the "iwlist wlan0 scan" command and dumps the output into a single variable. This may be the source of the problem.

PeasyWiFi has a slightly different approach. It dumps the output into a temporary file.

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

Any update on this?

Sailor Enceladus

#7 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

@rcrsn51: PeasyWiFi v4.2 worked like a charm. I scanned for Open connections, it found 2 and I selected the right one and I was in. I brought an older Pentium M / ipw2200 laptop to the mall today too to see if it would have the same issue in SNS, but SNS always found only around 17 Cell networks using it, while the b43 one sitting right beside it found 112. On occasion, the SNS window with all the cell networks to select from would pop up on the b43 instead of saying "No networks found" and showed maybe 20-30 of them, but never worked when I tried to connect and kept trying to switch to encrypted when I had it set to None. I can only guess that the problem is possibly with b43 only, but hard to tell without having another computer that can find as many connections. Quick solution: use PeasyWiFi for free wifi. :)

rcrsn51

#8 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent. I suspect that the clue here is "Argument list too long".

Because of how SNS dumps the iwlist data into a variable, bash is running out of working memory and fails.

If the b43 adapter is more powerful, it collects more iwlist data and is more likely to fail.

Did you buy any chocolate to celebrate? :wink:

bigpup

#9 Post by bigpup »

Wonder if signal strength has anything to do with this.
Just because it sees a wifi signal, does not make it a Strong enough signal, to make a good connection.

There are about 4 in my location, I can pickup in a scan.
Only my WIFI network and the person next door to me, are strong enough signals.

Wonder how many of those signals are someone trying to get access to your computer.
You are in the best place for that kind of security risk.

Wonder why the mall does not have one single WIFI access for everyone in the mall.
The stores pay enough to be in the mall.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

rerwin

#10 Post by rerwin »

Replaced next...
Last edited by rerwin on Wed 27 Jun 2018, 22:04, edited 1 time in total.

rerwin

#11 Post by rerwin »

Sailor Enceladus, et al,

I have been working on SNS today to try using a temporary file (as in peasywifi) instead of the variable.

I have a version ready for you to try. Please rename the /usr/local/simple_network_setup copies and replace them with these.

Richard
Attachments
rc.network.gz
SNS Rc.network - replace in /usr/local/simple_network_setup, then click to unzip.
(5.12 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
sns.gz
SNS - replace in /usr/local/simple_network_setup, then click to unzip.
(12.53 KiB) Downloaded 211 times

rerwin

#12 Post by rerwin »

Thank you, to those who have tried my modified SNS scripts.

Has anyone been able to test the above test versions of SNS in an environment of over 100 wireless networks? If so, please tell me whether the changes improve the network list.

While waiting, I have worked up a simpler way to resolve the issue, by keeping the use of the variable but filtering the iwlist output to eliminate the many lines that are not used by SNS, thus reducing the size of the variable contents -- attached. Please try them, too.

If neither of these solutions generates a complete network list, we will need to look for other factors that might cause the problem. So, I need some feedback to know how to proceed.
Richard
Attachments
sns.gz
sns with iwlist output filtered
Rename and replace /usr/local/simple_network_setup/sns.
Click to unzip.
(12.55 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
rc.network.gz
rc.network with iwlist output filtered
Rename and replace /usr/local/simple_network_setup/rc.network.
Click to unzip.
(5.16 KiB) Downloaded 205 times