How to use Huawei E 173 modem in newer Puppies?

Bernhardiner

#16 Post by Bernhardiner »

Hi all,

testing usb-modeswitch and libpipeline by RSH does no change in Toutou Slaxen 6.0.

They get Music2Go to recognize the modem, but make no connection, the same result as in Toutou.

In Manna 6.4.3 it is more complicated, it makes the modem recognized partly, but no connection.
Pupdial gets the modem "initialized."
PGPRS Connect and frisbee say, the modem doesn't seem to be plugged in, but they recognize it as ttyUSB0.
Wvdial.conf says, the last part of it "doesn't exist", maybe it is possible to fiddle around with that or something?
I made it "existing" with the default settings in it.
Regards,
Bernhardiner

ITSMERSH

#17 Post by ITSMERSH »

If the usb modem is recognized as /dev/ttyUSB0 it should connect to the web.

Probably there's some settings made the wrong way.

Did you enter the APN correctly? E.g.: internet.e-plus.de is mine. Probably you'll need to unlock the SIM-Card, so you can connect without a PIN/Password (that's how I do connect)

Here's what I'm entering into pgprs-setup:

APN: internet.e-plus.de
User: gprsuser
Password: gprspassword
Phone No. *99***1#
PIN: 1234

Bernhardiner

#18 Post by Bernhardiner »

Hi RSH,

how to unlock the sim card?

I always use the "original" entries given by the provider.
It usually works.
The Manna pupdial tells there are more providers saved in the sim or modem than eplus, whatever that means.

It's a challenge to solve that modem problem, isn't it?

Regards,
Bernhardiner

ITSMERSH

#19 Post by ITSMERSH »

To check if there is a PIN activated, you'll need to insert the SIM Card into a mobile phone. I don't know how to deactivate the PIN without a mobile phone. Though, since you are also e-plus (I assume, ALDI Talk?), there's probably no PIN activated?

Btw.: what is the original entries given by e-plus?

I have an ALDI Talk GPRS USB Modem. That gives no original entries.

Could it be you are from Germany? Just asking since we could probably better solve this in our mother tongue, if so...

However, I want you to test something.

Start your Music2Go Puppy fresh with no save file or save folder in use. Install the usb-modeswitch package plus the libpipeline package. Then install the attached pgprs package below.

Plugin the USB Modem and wait a few seconds.

Go to Menu Network (Netzwerk if in DE) and click PGPRS USB Modem Setup (PGPRS USB Modem Einstellungen in DE). Its GUI should come up with all settings already made.

APN and stuff should be equal to what I posted in my last post. If the Modem is recognized as /dev/ttyUSB0 just click Connect (Verbinden in DE). If not, choose the Modem first before clicking Connect.

NOTE: do NOT click PGPRS USB Modem Setup in Menu Network without having the USB Modem plugged in! You would need to reboot then (and probably install everything again, when running without save file etc.), before the Modem will be recognized.
Attachments
pgprs-s57-6.pet
(28.77 KiB) Downloaded 144 times

Bernhardiner

#20 Post by Bernhardiner »

Hi RSH,

what does the pgprs-s57-6 pet do exactly?

Can I change the shown entries if they are wrong and use mine?
Otherwise I will have to dig out the PUK and put it in a cellphone if the PIN is wrong.
It could be that I'd like to use a different provider, too.
Normally., the original PIN works o.k. and it is activated.
Do you think removing the PIN solves the problem?
Maybe I could do that in a cell phone.

It seems that only the APN and PIN are needed, and username and password are not necessary.

The originals are "internet.eplus.de", "eplus" and "gprs" and *99#.

Yes, I'm from Germany..

Regards,
Bernhardiner
Last edited by Bernhardiner on Wed 01 Aug 2018, 10:28, edited 1 time in total.

ITSMERSH

#21 Post by ITSMERSH »

Yes, I'm from Germany..
Ok, dann machen wir's in deutsch. Werde dann später eine Zusammenfassung übersetzen (will do a translation of mean parts later here), für die englischsprachigen Anwender.

Wenn Du z.B. Music2Go ohne Speicherdatei startest, wie ich Dich bat (laß es uns erst einmal mit Music2Go versuchen, denn ich habe das hier auch vorliegen, und bei mir funktioniert das reibungslos), dann kann nichts permanent verändert werden, denn nach dem Neustart ist üblicherweise alles weg - es sei denn Du legst beim Herunterfahren ein neue Speicherdatei an (was möglicherweise für unsere Tests sinnvoll ist).

Im Modem bzw. auf der SIM-Karte kann das PGPRS-Paket nichts permanent verändern, denn dafür ist es nicht entwickelt worden.

Deaktiviere einfach einmal die PIN Deiner SIM-Karte, installiere die genannten Pakete in das ohne Speicherdatei gestartete Music2Go, stecke das USB-Modem mit installierter, PIN-freier SIM-Karte ein, warte ein paar Sekunden und starte im Menü Netzwerk den Eintrag PGPRS USB Modem Einstellungen.

Dann einfach auf Verbinden klicken, wenn Dein Modem erkannt wurde bzw. ausgewählt ist.

Andere Tests sind sinnlos, wenn wir das nicht zuerst abgehakt haben.

Danach -falls erfolglos- können wir versuchen die verschiedenen Einträge anzupassen/auszuprobieren.

Danke. :wink:

P.S.

Du weißt doch, wie man Music2Go (bzw. ein Puppy) ohne Speicherdatei startet, obwohl man zuvor bereits eine Speicherdatei angelegt hatte?

Bernhardiner

#22 Post by Bernhardiner »

Hi RSH,

SUCCESS!!!

I did almost everything the way you recommended me to and it works.
It seems to depend on your special gprs pet.

I use the PIN as usual, activated.

What' s the secret?

Es scheint auch egal zu sein, beim APN den Bindestrich eingefügt zu haben.
Hängt wohl von der gebuchten Flat ab.

Danke.

*grins*

Would it be possible to change the pre-configured APNs?

Regards,
Bernhardiner

ITSMERSH

#23 Post by ITSMERSH »

Hi RSH,

SUCCESS!!!
Cool.

It should work then with pgprs-2.0 by rerwin as well (though, I don't know if it's built into Music2Go). Just changing its default entries/settings equal to what is setup in my pgprs package.

Dann sollte es eigentlich auch mit dem pgprs-2.0 Paket von rerwin funktionieren (ich weiß nicht, ob das bereits in Music2Go eingebaut ist, oder nachträglich installiert werden müßte). Du müßtest dann nur die Einträge passend zu denen in meinem pgprs Paket ändern.
Would it be possible to change the pre-configured APNs?
Are you talking about those APN's to choose from the combobox-list?

This list is integrated into the code, but could be enhanced...

Du meinst die APNs, die man in der Oberfläche vor dem Verbinden auswählen kann? Diese Liste ist im Code integriert, könnte aber erweitert werden.

Bevor ich mich an diese Arbeit mache, müßtest Du aber erst einmal testen, ob die Verbindung auch mit dem Paket von rerwin, unter Verwendung der Einträge aus meinem Paket funktioniert. Dann wäre es besser, wenn man die Liste der APNs in rerwins Paket einbaut (ich glaube, es gibt da irgendwo ein Option, denn ich besprach das bereits mit rerwin, zu der Zeit, als ich ihm bei der Entwicklung seines Pakets half, und seine Pakete immer wieder testete).

However, this is a big step forward. 8)

Edit:

Könnte es sein, daß Du vielleicht sogar in der Nähe von Kassel wohnst? Falls ja, meine Signatur führt zu meinem Youtube-Kanal, auf dem ein Video zu finden ist, bezüglich eines Konzerts am 6. September 2018 - neben zwei weiteren Videos.

Bernhardiner

#24 Post by Bernhardiner »

Hi RSH,

more success !!!

Your three pets work in Toutou Slaxen 6.0 as well.
I'm posting right now from it.
Is it important, that the new rc.firewall doesn't display the yellow window while being started? Instead, it is black without information.

In Manna 6.4.3, unfortunately, the three pets don't work.

In MusicGo the installed pgprs 2.0.2 didn't work with your data, and after installing the pgprs 2.0.2pet, one menu entry appeared, but it didn't work with your data, as well.
The username, password, PIN and number can be changed in your s57-6 pet anyway, don't they?
It works that way, too.

Regards,
Bernhardiner
Last edited by Bernhardiner on Tue 18 Sep 2018, 03:02, edited 1 time in total.

ITSMERSH

#25 Post by ITSMERSH »

The username, password, PIN and number can be changed in your s57-6 pet anyway, don't they?
Yes, they can be changed as well.

Edit:

If I remember correctly, Manna Puppy is based on Precise Puppy.

It should work either out of the box or at least by just installing only my pgprs package. The libpipeline and usb-modeswitch packages might break something when installed into Manna Puppy.

Bernhardiner

#26 Post by Bernhardiner »

Hi,

though the main problem of the topic is solved, just for the records I want to report that I tried out Mobile partner 21.003.28.12.169, usb-modeswitch-2.5.2-i686-tahr606.pet and usb-modeswitch-data-20170806-i686.pet with huawei.conf in Music2go with the pre-installed pgprs 2.0.2 and it didn't work.

And Manna with pgprs s57-6 pet didn't work either.

In Pupjibaro the modem works only with the pgprs s57-6 pet by RSH.
It seems there must be a bug in the "official" pgprs 2.0.2 package.

Mobile Partner works in Pupjibaro and Music2go only if the s57-6 pet is installed, too.

Regards,
Bernhardiner