Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 25 Oct 2014, 06:36
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
"Sorry, cannot start X...
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2 Next

PostPosted: Fri 13 May 2005, 00:34    Post_subject:  "Sorry, cannot start X...  

File /usr/x11r6/bin/x missing

unable to mount usr_cram.fs to /usr

what does all this mean?

once i rebooted the machine, i could not run puppy anymore!???

i tried pulling my usb key out to load everything into ramdisk, but then it asked for a login and password??
JohnMurga
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri 13 May 2005, 00:37    Post_subject:  

Is this Kyle ?

If so (From IRC-ish):

Code:
<JohnMurga> Try extracting the file inside the pup001.zip to the root of your C drive ...
<JohnMurga> And then try again ;-)
<JohnMurga> Dunno ... Something to try
... Minutes later
<kyle> success!
<Flash0> !!!!
<JohnMurga> Cool, what did you do ???
<kyle> i deleted and re extracted the pup001 file
<kyle> and miraculously it booted
<JohnMurga> From the Zip file ? Cool :-)

Cheers
JohnM
nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

PostPosted: Fri 13 May 2005, 01:19    Post_subject:  

I had those exact same error messages when booting puppy from a USB key on my parents' computer. From what I could tell, it seemed that puppy lost track of the key halfway through bootup*, and couldn't copy everything it needed to run. Thus, X didn't get copied, and usr_cram cannot be read (and so cannot be mounted).

Your statement "i tried pulling my usb key out to load everything into ramdisk" is a little worrisome. You don't say exactly *when* you pulled your key out, but if you did it while the computer was attempting to read or write from the key, or if you pulled it out (god forbid) during bootup, you're definately going to have some problems. In those scenarios, you'd almost surely end up with data corruption on the key, and I would suggest that your best option is to reinstall puppy onto the key and try again.

By the way, puppy always loads itself totally into ramdisk. You don't need to remove your key to make this happen.

ND

* definition "lost track of the key halfway through bootup" == I had my usb key plugged into one of the USB ports on the front of the case, which are apparently recognized as a foreign hub of some sort. The light on the key which shows that it's connected went out about halfway through bootup, while some errors rolled up the screen regarding USB (don't remember the exact error messages--particularly not at this hour). Then the boot process stopped with the errors mentioned in the original post of this thread. When I plugged the key into one of the usb ports on the back of the 'puter, it booted perfectly.

PostPosted: Fri 13 May 2005, 07:38    Post_subject:  

i dont have enough space on the hard disk to extract the pup zip file. i have only 150mb free.

any ideas about the login/pwd it asks for
nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

PostPosted: Fri 13 May 2005, 08:35    Post_subject:  

You mean the pup001.zip file? For now, try to get things rolling without a pup zip file. Unless your disk is formatted as NTFS (WindowsXP), puppy will create its own pup001 file of the appropriate size when it boots. Even if it can't create a pup001 file, puppy will still run just fine, but your personal settings won't be saved at the end of your session.

Exactly when does it ask for a user name and password?

ND

PostPosted: Fri 13 May 2005, 09:03    Post_subject:  

it asks right after trying to load the usr_cram file onto ramdisk
nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

PostPosted: Fri 13 May 2005, 19:20    Post_subject:  

Guest, are you also posting about this same problem in the "bugs" forum? Are you the guy with the 4x CDrom drive that wouldn't boot? Because I've been talking to a guy over there with a very similar situation...

I'm just asking because if they are both you, it would be easier to work this out in one thread rather than two.

I have no idea why puppy is asking for a username and password. Theoretically this should never happen. Anyone have any ideas? Anyone?
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Fri 13 May 2005, 21:44    Post_subject:  

nduanetesh wrote:
Guest, are you also posting about this same problem in the "bugs" forum? Are you the guy with the 4x CDrom drive that wouldn't boot? Because I've been talking to a guy over there with a very similar situation...

I'm just asking because if they are both you, it would be easier to work this out in one thread rather than two.

I have no idea why puppy is asking for a username and password. Theoretically this should never happen. Anyone have any ideas? Anyone?
This has come up in Puppy's chat and been resolved. Apparently Puppy sees a pup001 file somewhere which is corrupted or misconfigured. The solution is to find the file on the hard drive or USB flash drive and delete it. Then Puppy will boot as if it were the first time.
nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

PostPosted: Fri 13 May 2005, 22:05    Post_subject:  

Good to know. Thanks Flash. I will have to file this info away in case this comes up again.

BTW, the two identical, nearly simultaneous posts made me chuckle.

PostPosted: Sat 14 May 2005, 21:34    Post_subject:  

yes, that is me. im very sorry.

as for puppy, it says 'cannot find a suitable partition for your personal data file'. so i press enter and it attempts to load the usr_cram file onto ramdisk. i have 128mb ram, and 150mb free disk space.

it begins to load the .fs file onto ramdisk. then it says cannot mount home device. there are lots of files puppy tried to write to /root. but it cannot do so because 'no space left on device'
newuser

PostPosted: Sat 14 May 2005, 21:47    Post_subject:  

i will continue here for help, instead of the 'bugs' section.

i dont intend to use my USB key nor my newer cd drive..but i wanted to test if puppy could run on the pentium 400mhz machine.

now, i found the pup001 file on the USB key, so i deleted it.

how did puppy corrupt the file?

if i could, my vision is to somehow get a CDR to work with my 4x CDROM, and loading puppy into ramdisk or even to my harddrive(FAT16) without the use of the usb key. i just want to surf the internet and MSN with Puppy. i dont need to run any games.

i have not found a way to burn puppy onto a CDR that work on the 4x CDROM yet. there must be some code at the beginning or end of the CD that the CD Drive doesnt recognize, or that the CD is too reflective..i am just assuming these things.

i like puppy, havent tried 'damn small linux' and i dont intend to, as puppy could the same job. i cant wait for the new version to come out, but i have no clue what new things there will be in the release.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Sat 14 May 2005, 22:38    Post_subject:  

newuser wrote:
i will continue here for help, instead of the 'bugs' section.

i dont intend to use my USB key nor my newer cd drive..but i wanted to test if puppy could run on the pentium 400mhz machine.

now, i found the pup001 file on the USB key, so i deleted it.
Did that fix the problem?

Quote:
how did puppy corrupt the file?
Who knows? I believe there are some unresolved issues with operating Puppy off USB flash drives. I'm sorry but that's about all I can say, except keep searching the Puppy website and Wiki and this forum.

Quote:
if i could, my vision is to somehow get a CDR to work with my 4x CDROM, and loading puppy into ramdisk or even to my harddrive(FAT16) without the use of the usb key. i just want to surf the internet and MSN with Puppy. i dont need to run any games.

i have not found a way to burn puppy onto a CDR that work on the 4x CDROM yet. there must be some code at the beginning or end of the CD that the CD Drive doesnt recognize, or that the CD is too reflective..i am just assuming these things.
I think I've seen detailed instructions somewhere on the Puppy website or maybe the Wiki describing how to burn a bootable CD in Puppy using Gcombust CD writer (in Start/Multimedia.) If you are able to boot Puppy from the USB flash drive, try using it to burn a bootable Puppy CD from the .iso on the hard drive. I've burned several bootable CD-RWs with Gcombust in Puppy and they all worked fine. The hardest part for me was telling Gcombust where the .iso file was.
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Sat 14 May 2005, 23:20    Post_subject:  

You assume that you have x4 so it burns at x4?

It may be more reliable at x2 and I would try x1
for max reliabilty

look here:
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/AbsoluteBeginners

choose from Burning CD for Windows or Puppy
(probably Windows to start)

The BurnCDcc is a a great program - it only does one thing - create an ISO image

Burn Baby Burn Twisted Evil
Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sun 15 May 2005, 00:24    Post_subject:  

no, after i deleted the pup001 file, i couldnt boot anything on the old computer, and it gives me the same error ' cannot mount device,etc, and asks for user/password
nduanetesh
Ultra Super-stud

PostPosted: Sun 15 May 2005, 12:49    Post_subject:  

Hi guys,
We've been discussing this in another thread in the "bugs" section, and he says that he tried his CD in a newer computer and it booted just fine...so the problem is not with his burning method, it's with his very old Cdrom drive. I think the drive is either failing or simply too old to be booted from. (He swapped a newer cdrom drive into the same computer and it booted just fine.) So, aside from a firmware upgrade, which could possibly do the trick (if one is even available), I think the best option is to plop down $10 for a new cdrom drive.

Now, to the question of why puppy apparently can't see his hard drive with 150mb of free space, and won't put a pup001 file there...any ideas? He told me in the other thread that it's formatted fat16, so that shouldn't be the problem...

just for the sake of being thorough...you *have* tried to boot *without* the ubs key plugged in, right? We need to make sure that puppy's only option is to go to the hard drive for the pup001 file. Also, 128mb of ram should be Ok...but it's sort of borderlilne, isn't it?

the error you described in your last post (after deleting pup001) from the usb key makes me think that you've got a corrupt pup001 file on the hard drive. So, try to hunt that down and delete that one too.

ND

BTW, Guest, do you have a name?[/i]
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 2 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum