Open browser on specific page? - SOLVED

Using applications, configuring, problems
Mike Walsh

#16 Post by Mike Walsh »

Well, as always; thanks, everyone.

@tallboy:- Nice to know yet another way to make it start exactly where you want it to. I've done that with a couple of Bill's small utilities before now, where he's used GTK2+ x, y positioning in the script; I've just modified it to the location I want for it. Peasymp3 being an example; for some reason, as installed, it always opens on the right-hand side of my screen. But then, thinking about it, it probably opened in the centre of whatever screen Bill was using when he built it; mine is a rather elderly 1024x768 Dell monitor, and most folks use higher-res screens nowadays.

@ bigpup:- That's how I've done it for years; sometimes pointing the .desktop file to ~/my-applications/bin, sometimes to /usr/bin. In the case of AppImages, to the AppImage itself. My only difference is I like to hunt for unique icons for each .desktop or pinboard entry.....sometimes if I can't find what I want ready-made, I'll manufacture it myself.

To which end my directory of PNG icons currently comprises some 374 items in total....

@ MochiMoppel:- A-ha! So that's what's the 'Arguments' line is for when you edit a pinboard entry, is it? I've wondered about that for years, it's true.....but then, if I'm totally honest, I've never really understood what the term 'Argument' means in this context (and neither have I ever attempted to Google the answer.)

Anyways; appreciated.....as always. And once again it illustrates the multitude of different ways Linux (and Puppy) has for achieving the same outcome.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Sat 04 Aug 2018, 10:13, edited 1 time in total.

tallboy

#17 Post by tallboy »

I may add that I named my wmctrl script palemoon-4 and placed it in /root/my-apllications/bin/. I then set /usr/local/defaultbrowser to

Code: Select all

exec palemoon-4 "$@"
It works.
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

MochiMoppel

#18 Post by MochiMoppel »

OK, I also have something to add.
You may open your browser not just with one particular page but with a set of pages. May not work with all browser but probably works with all browsers using tabs.

This start FF with 3 pages in 3 tabs:
Attachments
start_browser_with_3_URLs.png
(16.85 KiB) Downloaded 100 times

tallboy

#19 Post by tallboy »

Nice trick! :D I have a fixed routine when I open the browser first time every day, so this save time. Good idea to give it it's own button/icon/text.
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

Mike Walsh

#20 Post by Mike Walsh »

Indeed, I'll second that.

I, too, have a 'fixed routine' when firing Chrome/Quantum up. This is quite a time-saver, IMHO. Neat way round it all.....and works well for both.

Thanks, Mochi. Another wee 'timesaver' I now know; just goes to show, old dogs can learn new tricks!

Cheers.

Mike. :wink: