Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 15 Nov 2018, 01:52
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Utilities
nicOS-Remaster-Suite
Page 1 of 5 [68 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
nic007

PostPosted: Sun 05 Aug 2018, 08:43    Post subject:  nicOS-Remaster-Suite  

Attached nicOS-Remaster-Suite.pet, a suite of three tools to remaster new and old puppy's.
nicOS-Remaster-Suite.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  nicOS-Remaster-Suite.pet 
Filesize  10.93 KB 
Downloaded  47 Time(s) 

Last edited by nic007 on Fri 12 Oct 2018, 04:54; edited 11 times in total
johnywhy

PostPosted: Tue 07 Aug 2018, 13:14    Post subject:  

i ran the Pristine script. Got the Success message, but did not get an iso in /

I enlarged my save-file from 2 GB to 6 GB, and ran it again, but still no iso.

i don't know how to check the size of /

thx!

i ♥ Puppy
nic007

PostPosted: Tue 07 Aug 2018, 14:30    Post subject:  

The working directory is /, if not so this auto script won't work. What is the path of your root directory? Does the built in remaster script in the menu work for you because this script is based on it?
johnywhy

PostPosted: Tue 07 Aug 2018, 19:40    Post subject:  

nic007 wrote:
The working directory is /, if not so this auto script won't work. What is the path of your root directory? Does the built in remaster script in the menu work for you because this script is based on it?

if i click root in file manager, i get:
/root/

In x-tahr 2.0.

when i run Remaster Puppy live-CD from menu, it asks me to choose working directory (this Pristine script doesn't). I pick a partition with plenty free space. I do get output.

Remaster Puppy reports that it puts files into /tmp/root/ (not /root).

Right before making ISO, `/initrd/mnt/dev_save/puppylivecdbuild/` contains:

Code:
# ls
boot.msg   initrd.gz     logo.16              vmlinuz
help2.msg  isolinux.bin  puppy_xtahr_2.0.sfs  zdrv_xtahr_2.0.sfs
help.msg   isolinux.cfg  README.HTM

After Remaster Puppy reports that the iso was created, i cannot find any iso on /initrd/mnt/dev_save

i ♥ Puppy
nic007

PostPosted: Wed 08 Aug 2018, 02:37    Post subject:  

It looks like the remaster is done correctly but the problem occurs when to make the iso. Check the size of the base sfs in /initrd/mnt/dev_save/puppylivecdbuild. If it looks right, then the remaster was probably successful. With the auto script the remaster is actually done in /PuppyRemaster but you won't see this folder with the files because it is automatically deleted when the ISO is created/supposed to be created. The auto version is a "no user input" version with preset default settings (that's the whole idea behind being automatic), you need enough free space in your savefile for the operation. Normally there is an icon in the tray which indicates the free space you have available, check it.
Back to the ISO problem - you need the executable "genisoimage" and the link to that file ie."mkisofs" on your system to make iso's. Check if you have it (it's normally in /usr/bin).

Last edited by nic007 on Wed 08 Aug 2018, 03:58; edited 1 time in total
johnywhy

PostPosted: Wed 08 Aug 2018, 21:02    Post subject:  

nic007 wrote:
Check the size of the base sfs in /initrd/mnt/dev_save/puppylivecdbuild.

5.0 MB (4,980,768 bytes)

Shouldn't that be closer to 200 MB? Is this the problem?

Quote:
you need enough free space in your savefile for the operation.

Free space: 5 GB

Quote:
you need the executable "genisoimage" and the link to that file ie."mkisofs" on your system to make iso's. Check if you have it (it's normally in /usr/bin).

It's there.

i ♥ Puppy
nic007

PostPosted: Wed 08 Aug 2018, 22:31    Post subject:  

That size is wrong, the remaster has obviously not been done correctly. In the example you mention, you have a partition of a drive as the working area so size should normally not be an issue (how big is that partition?). I'm running out of ideas of what could be wrong, just a few things:

1. On what media is your frugal installation (harddrive, flashdrive) and what filesystem is that drive? When you have a savefile in operation the partition with your puppy files is normally called /mnt/home.
2. You say that you reckon the remastered base SFS should be around 200MB. That can't be. It looks like you have used around 1GB of your savefile capacity (1GB of the 6GB) Your remastered base sfs (which includes the contents of the savefile) should be more than 500MB.
3. Your savefile is so large that many things could have gone wrong by now. Boot without the savefile and do a remaster with the builtin remaster tool from the menu so we can at least see if that tool works with your distribution. X-Tahr is not an officially released version of Puppy but a puplet made by a user so some things may not work correctly.
johnywhy

PostPosted: Wed 08 Aug 2018, 23:00    Post subject:  

nic007 wrote:
you have a partition of a drive as the working area so size should normally not be an issue (how big is that partition?).

100GB total, 40GB free.
Puppy has write-access.

Quote:
On what media is your frugal installation

harddrive

Quote:
what filesystem is that drive?

ntfs

Quote:
You say that you reckon the remastered base SFS should be around 200MB.

just cuz the sfs from the original puppy live cd is about that.

Quote:
Your remastered base sfs (which includes the contents of the savefile) should be more than 500MB.

ah, ok, wasn't sure about that. So something's def awry

Quote:
Boot without the savefile and do a remaster with the builtin remaster tool from the menu so we can at least see if that tool works

ok, will report back.

Quote:
X-Tahr is not an officially released version of Puppy but a puplet made by a user so some things may not work correctly.

Imho, it's teh most awesome puppy of all, if you want teh best desktop (xfce). x-tahr 2.0 is teh most stable, fully-implemented xfce puppy i've found yet.

THX

i ♥ Puppy

Last edited by johnywhy on Thu 09 Aug 2018, 08:15; edited 1 time in total
belham2

PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug 2018, 05:49    Post subject: Re: Auto ISO Remaster  

nic007 wrote:
The remaster process up to creating a new ISO seems to be a daunting task for many, especially newbies. In my view a fully automated process should be of great help. With this in mind, I'm releasing two scripts, ie:
Auto-Remaster-ISO-Customized AND Auto-Remaster-ISO-Pristine attached hereto.

Usage:

1. Use Auto-Remaster-ISO-Customized to save your machine/system settings so you can use the remaster on the same machine. Use Auto-Remaster-ISO-Pristine for a remaster you can use on other machines.
2. To make a new ISO, you will need to either mount the distribution's ISO or load the CD so files can be copied from it. Do this before running the script.
3. Run the script. You will be asked to select the ISO or CD to copy files from. Select either and click OK (if you choose the CD option, an additional dialog may appear for safety reasons. Just click OK)
4. That's it. Sit back and relax and wait for your new remastered ISO to be created.

Additional notes:

Note 1, The remastered ISO will be created in / , make sure you have enough space (enough RAM if you are running in RAM-mode or make sure your savefile is big enough if you are using one).
Note 2, if you have an 'underdog Linux' mounted, that too will get combined into the remastered ISO, so beware, it could get big!
Note 3, all installed packages as well as extra sfs files loaded at the time of remaster will be included in the remastered base sfs file.
Note 4, the adrv and ydrv (if present) will be included in the base sfs file if they are loaded. The zdrv (which normally contain drivers) will be kept seperately.
Note 5, the default compressor setting for your distribution will be used.

Hey Nic007,

Thanks for continuing to work on this stuff. I downloaded both, tried the customized first and it ran fine & saved all my settings in the remastered ISO (for the same machine). As a side note, I hope a certain poster here doesn't show up and start another verbal p#ssing match where it drives you to pull these (like the other scripts in the other thread). Don't let 'em get to you, your total body of work of remaster scripts are still the best thing going to make it easy for all of us, experienced users and/or newbies, when remastering.

Thanks again.
bigpup

PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug 2018, 07:49    Post subject:  

These scripts are small enough you could offer them as pet packages.
The forum will allow a pet package attachment to a post.
There is max size limit of 256K.

ITSMERSH

PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug 2018, 07:59    Post subject:  

Quote:
As a side note, I hope a certain poster here doesn't show

I think Flash just banned him lately?

nic007

PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug 2018, 09:52    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:
These scripts are small enough you could offer them as pet packages.
The forum will allow a pet package attachment to a post.
There is max size limit of 256K.

Those glory days are gone for good. I've pulled all my pet packages from the forum for good reason a time ago. I'm reluctant to release stuff but may do so every now and then so I suppose the door is not closed completely.
johnywhy

PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug 2018, 13:04    Post subject:  

nic007 wrote:
Boot without the savefile and do a remaster with the builtin remaster tool from the menu

Tried, and didn't even have to wait to finish to see the difference. I got the progress window below. At the end, i got an iso file.

I didn't get this progress window when booted with my big save-file. Maybe there's a size limitation on Remaster?

nic007 wrote:
I've pulled all my pet packages from the forum for good reason

What reason, pray tell?
Screenshot.png
 Description   
 Filesize   8.43 KB
 Viewed   808 Time(s)

Screenshot.png

i ♥ Puppy

Last edited by johnywhy on Thu 09 Aug 2018, 14:24; edited 1 time in total
bigpup

PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug 2018, 14:14    Post subject:  

Used Auto-Remaster-ISO-Pristine to make a remaster of Xenialpup 7.5 UEFI.

Wondering if this really does have all the needed stuff to boot on any computer.

Notice the difference in what is in the iso's
capture26368.png
 Description   
 Filesize   30.38 KB
 Viewed   823 Time(s)

capture26368.png

capture26015.png
 Description   
 Filesize   25.01 KB
 Viewed   825 Time(s)

capture26015.png

rockedge

PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug 2018, 15:42    Post subject:  

I am definitely going to try out the script! Try to remaster a LAMP-ZoneMinder install on a Xenial 7.5 32 bit. See how it goes......
Last edited by rockedge on Sat 11 Aug 2018, 19:20; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 5 [68 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Utilities
Jump to: