nicOS-Remaster

Miscellaneous tools
rockedge

#31 Post by rockedge »

yes I did.
the script ran well in tahr 6.0.5 but did not fully copy the necessary directories needed for running a LHMP and zoneminder.

Many of the comonents are there but most are in directories most auto-remaster scripts do not copy...nor does the stock re-master tool.

in my case manual re-mastering seems to be the only way to insure a complete zoneminder system that will start.

otherwise the script was pretty quick and the resulting ISO booted cleanly.

nic007

#32 Post by nic007 »

The script is based on puppys builtin remasterscript so if that does not work for you, this won't work either. However, I have been experimenting with my own scripts (totally independent from the builtin script) in the past. I attach two of them here. Try them if you like, perhaps you'll have some luck. Note that the working area is /mnt/home presuming that you are using a savefile.

BTW - Can you specify which directories were not copied, seems strange to me? Also - wouldn't it be better to run these components you are talking about as sfs-addon files (that way you don't have to include them in the base sfs file)
Attachments
Quick-Base-Remaster.zip
(3.14 KiB) Downloaded 298 times

johnywhy

#33 Post by johnywhy »

nic007 wrote:make an sfs of your savefile and call it the adrv
can i use PackIt for that? It has option "mksquashfs". Should i pick gzip or xz?

Archive Manager does not seem to have sfs option.

THX
[b]Now[/b]: X-Tahr 2.0! StretchDog! DevuanDog!
[b]Tops[/b]: TarhNOP Vlina-R2 Racy
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

nic007

#34 Post by nic007 »

johnywhy wrote:
nic007 wrote:make an sfs of your savefile and call it the adrv
can i use PackIt for that? It has option "mksquashfs". Should i pick gzip or xz?

Archive Manager does not seem to have sfs option.

THX
So, you still want to save the work you put into the old save file? I'm asking because it will be less complicated if you use a new savefile, install the stuff anew and then do a remaster. Better still - consider using sfs-addons for the programs you want to use instead of installing pets. This way you can keep your savefile very small (or not use one) and there wouldn't really be a reason to remaster anything. That's how I operate Puppy.

johnywhy

#35 Post by johnywhy »

nic007 wrote:So, you still want to save the work you put into the old save file? I'm asking because it will be less complicated if you use a new savefile, install the stuff anew and then do a remaster.
and remove the built-ins anew as well, right? Cuz i removed a bunch of builtin stuff.

I think you're saying my save-file is corrupt in some way-- that my customizations are not the problem. Correct?
consider using sfs-addons for the programs you want to use instead of installing pets.
i'm fine with that, tho i noticed pets seem to work better than addons, for certain programs.

i want to share a live CD with friends. Do i need to manually copy those sfs-addons to the remaster-dir, before making the iso?

THX
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

nic007

#36 Post by nic007 »

First decide what you want to do now, I will help you further then. Here are your options:
1. Try to salvage the contents of the old savefile by creating an adrv and then do a pristine remaster if the adrv works. This may or may not work because the contents of that savefile may be corrupted (but it saves you the trouble of installing all the stuff again).
2. Create a new savefile and either install the pets again or load the programs as sfs-addons and do a pristine remaster.

Personally, I woud go with option 2, greater chance of getting things right.

johnywhy

#37 Post by johnywhy »

sounds like your suspicion is that my save-file is corrupt.

i like Option 2 as well. i want to share a live CD with friends. i assume sfs-addons will be included in the remaster, and loaded on boot automatically, correct?
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

nic007

#38 Post by nic007 »

johnywhy wrote:sounds like your suspicion is that my save-file is corrupt.

i like Option 2 as well. i want to share a live CD with friends. i assume sfs-addons will be included in the remaster, and loaded on boot automatically, correct?
Yes, with my auto script all sfs files (except the zdrv) that are loaded at the time of the remaster will be included in the remastered base sfs file. After the remaster you will have the remastered base sfs (which now include all the addon sfs's) and a seperate zdrv.

ITSMERSH

#39 Post by ITSMERSH »

johnywhy wrote:i assume sfs-addons will be included in the remaster, and loaded on boot automatically, correct?
nic007 wrote:Yes, with my auto script all sfs files (except the zdrv) that are loaded at the time of the remaster will be included in the remastered base sfs file.
I think here's some misunderstanding included.

As I do understand johnywhy he asked if the additional .sfs will be in the remastered .iso - but not in the remastered base .sfs.

To have additional .sfs remastered into the .iso it is necessary to copy them into the build directory manually BEFORE creating the .iso. This is NOT done automatically by remasterpup2 or nic007 scripts.

All programs from additional .sfs loaded at remaster will be in the included into new .sfs. So, there's no need to have those additional .sfs placed inside the .iso and so they can't load automatically at boot - at least it doesn't make any sense to load them anyway.

My new version of LazY Remaster Suite will create a .iso (without the need of a mounted .iso or cd) and ALL files/dirs from the boot directory (where the puppy .sfs is stored) will be copied automatically to the build directory and therefor will be placed inside the .iso as well.

Just to mention...

nic007

#40 Post by nic007 »

There shouldn't be any confusion. My last sentence (which you omitted) makes it quite clear, I think. He wants to distribute the iso to friends. Having everything combined into the base sfs and a seperate zdrv would be easier for a new user (who may not know how sfs addons work). My auto script includes the content of all loaded sfs's (excluding the zdrv.) Into the base sfs. Of course, if you don't want it included, unload those extra sfs's you don't want to include. You can of course add anything you like to the ISO later but then you shouldn't use this auto remaster script (because it doesn't pause so you can manually add whatever you want to the ISO, the builtin script DOES give you this opportunity). Like your versions, I also have remasterscripts with options.. However I am not releasing that as the user may just as well use the builtin remasterscript if he wants to choose his own full options. Having said that, I have made improvements to the builtin remasterscript. For instance - If you have loaded extra sfs's which contents you want to combine into the base sfs (like with my auto script) and those extra sfs's contain files in /root, /etc and /var the builtin script will not include those files by default. I've fixed that.

BTW - You'll have to include a bootloader in your "manually made" iso for distribution, if you don't have the actual ISO or CD to copy files from.
Last edited by nic007 on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 20:52, edited 2 times in total.

ITSMERSH

#41 Post by ITSMERSH »

There shouldn't be any confusion.
Though, the confusion has taken place, since he wants to load additional .sfs at boot, which doesn't make any sense if them are included into the base .sfs at remaster.
My auto script includes the content of all loaded sfs's (excluding the zdrv.) Into the base sfs.
This is the default of any remaster script I'd used so far and/or had a look into its code.

Just to mention...

nic007

#42 Post by nic007 »

See my edited post.

nic007

#43 Post by nic007 »

ITSMERSH wrote:
There shouldn't be any confusion.
Though, the confusion has taken place, since he wants to load additional .sfs at boot, which doesn't make any sense if them are included into the base .sfs at remaster.
My auto script includes the content of all loaded sfs's (excluding the zdrv.) Into the base sfs.
This is the default of any remaster script I'd used so far and/or had a look into its code.

Just to mention...
There's no confusion regarding the remaster if you read my second sentence which you omitted (why did you omit it, it's important). Yes and your other comment about the default action of the builtin remasterscript is so but not entirely true as pointed out in my previous post. I merely stated the outcome of my remasterscript. You are confusing yourself. Just saying.

ITSMERSH

#44 Post by ITSMERSH »

No, I'm not confusing anyone. I just pointed out that there's a difference between the statement of johnywhy and the your reply about "remaster" to this statement, since he wanted the additional .sfs inside the .iso to be loaded at boot.
johnywhy wrote:i like Option 2 as well. i want to share a live CD with friends. i assume sfs-addons will be included in the remaster, and loaded on boot automatically, correct?
nic007 wrote:Yes, with my auto script all sfs files (except the zdrv) that are loaded at the time of the remaster will be included in the remastered base sfs file.
Markups added by me.

End of my discussion here, since you are still turning yourself very much too fast into something similar to a insulted troll. :wink: :lol:

rockedge

#45 Post by rockedge »

Can you specify which directories were not copied, seems strange to me?
missing files/folders after remastering a zoneminder system that is able to run :

/var/run/mysqld -> is completely missing.
/etc/passwd -> uses the one from the stock ISO and not the current one
/etc/shadow -> uses the one from the stock ISO and not the current one
/etc/group -> uses the one from the stock ISO and not the current one
/etc/gshadow -> uses the one from the stock ISO and not the current one

/etc/apache2
some of the sub-directories are created but not copied.

Apache can not start because all the symlinks and config files to activate the web-server modules and the VirtualHost blocks are missing.

/etc/php5 -> current directory and all sub-directories and php.ini file are not copied into the re-master causing PHP not to be configured and to fail

strangely the /etc/zm config folder for zoneminder is copied into the re-master.

zoneminder is copied into /usr/share/zoneminder.....this component I made into an SFS but is awkward to add the database to the mariaDB (or mysql) I have attempted to create a complete LAMP - zoneminder SFS which will work but still needs to be generally configured so I met limited success. What worked was a PET of a LHMP (Hiawatha replacing Apache) and zoneminder. the PET installs
auto runs a script that creates the users,folders and corrects permissions....one-click in Tahr and the PET will completely install a running zoneminder.

I have also created manual re-masters that will run zoneminder out of the box....I am hoping to find an automatic script which would really lighten the workload.....there are some more small details....I need a complete snapshot of the system to be re-master it appears.

I will try out your other suggestions!! Thanks for the help.

nic007

#46 Post by nic007 »

ITSMERSH wrote:No, I'm not confusing anyone. I just pointed out that there's a difference between the statement of johnywhy and the your reply about "remaster" to this statement, since he wanted the additional .sfs inside the .iso to be loaded at boot.
johnywhy wrote:i like Option 2 as well. i want to share a live CD with friends. i assume sfs-addons will be included in the remaster, and loaded on boot automatically, correct?
Markups added by me.

End of my discussion here, since you are still turning yourself very much too fast into something similar to a insulted troll. :wink: :lol:
My reply is about the remaster of the base sfs which is very clearly stated. And yes, that remastered base sfs will now boot automatically at first boot. Your problem is that you take single sentences out of a paragraph and then try to give a whole paragraph a different meaning. That's a very dumb thing to do and leads to comprehension problems (you even confuse yourself). You are the troll here, trolling yourself. :D
Last edited by nic007 on Mon 13 Aug 2018, 05:22, edited 1 time in total.

nic007

#47 Post by nic007 »

rockedge wrote:
Can you specify which directories were not copied, seems strange to me?
missing files/folders after remastering a zoneminder system that is able to run :

/var/run/mysqld -> is completely missing.
/etc/passwd -> uses the one from the stock ISO and not the current one
/etc/shadow -> uses the one from the stock ISO and not the current one
/etc/group -> uses the one from the stock ISO and not the current one
/etc/gshadow -> uses the one from the stock ISO and not the current one

/etc/apache2
some of the sub-directories are created but not copied.

Apache can not start because all the symlinks and config files to activate the web-server modules and the VirtualHost blocks are missing.

/etc/php5 -> current directory and all sub-directories and php.ini file are not copied into the re-master causing PHP not to be configured and to fail

strangely the /etc/zm config folder for zoneminder is copied into the re-master.

zoneminder is copied into /usr/share/zoneminder.....this component I made into an SFS but is awkward to add the database to the mariaDB (or mysql) I have attempted to create a complete LAMP - zoneminder SFS which will work but still needs to be generally configured so I met limited success. What worked was a PET of a LHMP (Hiawatha replacing Apache) and zoneminder. the PET installs
auto runs a script that creates the users,folders and corrects permissions....one-click in Tahr and the PET will completely install a running zoneminder.

I have also created manual re-masters that will run zoneminder out of the box....I am hoping to find an automatic script which would really lighten the workload.....there are some more small details....I need a complete snapshot of the system to be re-master it appears.

I will try out your other suggestions!! Thanks for the help.
Rockedge, the builtin remasterscript does not deal correctly with new installs that have files in /root, /etc and /var by default. Generally, you will have to manually edit these directories during the remaster process. This will definitely be the case with pet installs. However, I have tried to overcome this issue when you load extra sfs's (not installing pets) instead. In the latter case this should work now with my auto script. So load those components as sfs's and run my auto script (the customized version). You may not have the latest version of my scripts, I've made some changes so download it again.

Alternatively - loading those components as sfs's in the form of an adrv and/or ydrv should do the trick as well (just rename them). In this case you don't need to remaster it into the base sfs. That's actually what I woud do, run them as ydrv and/or adrv.

rockedge

#48 Post by rockedge »

nic007 wrote:Alternatively - loading those components as sfs's in the form of an adrv and/or ydrv should do the trick as well (just rename them). In this case you don't need to remaster it into the base sfs. That's actually what I woud do, run them as ydrv and/or adrv.
this is the ultimate goal... to have the entire LAMP and zoneminder CCTV system as adrv.sfs and ydrv.sfs

working on it ....I've been slowly getting there...thanks again for the help and the work.

johnywhy

#49 Post by johnywhy »

Thx nic007, ITSMERSH, and all devs and helpers!

I want my users have everything loaded, on first boot and in a frugal install, plus ability to remove them. Which Remaster tool will give me that with least effort? (i don't mind if i have to rename them to adrv and/or ydrv, but would like to avoid manual steps if possible)
ITSMERSH wrote:To have additional .sfs remastered into the .iso it is necessary to copy them into the build directory manually BEFORE creating the .iso. This is NOT done automatically by remasterpup2 or nic007 scripts.
hi ITSMERSH. Thx for that! Ideally, i want the SFS's to load on boot of the live-cd and also if the live-cd is frugal-installed. However, i would also like users to be able to remove or upgrade the SFS's.

Sounds like nic007's AutoRemaster will bundle the SFS's into the remastered core, and disallow removal via the on-the-fly tool. Correct? Question: Could AutoRemaster SFS's be removed with the 'Remove builtin' tool? That's also acceptable. As long as the bundled SFS's can be removed somehow, either with onthefly tool, removebuiltin tool, or uninstall-packages tool.

nic007, i really like your hands-off Remaster. Definitely good for noobs.
nic007 wrote:You'll have to include a bootloader in your "manually made" iso for distribution, if you don't have the actual ISO or CD to copy files from.
Woah, that concerns me. The output ISO needs to work as a bootable, live-cd. Do any of the remaster tools give that? (AutoRemaster, Lazy, or puppy Remaster livecd)

THX

ps ITSMERSH, i tried to watch Helix Research Out house, but seems protected?
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

nic007

#50 Post by nic007 »

johnywhy wrote:Thx nic007, ITSMERSH, and all devs and helpers!

I want my users have everything loaded, on first boot and in a frugal install, plus ability to remove them. Which Remaster tool will give me that with least effort? (i don't mind if i have to rename them to adrv and/or ydrv, but would like to avoid manual steps if possible)
ITSMERSH wrote:To have additional .sfs remastered into the .iso it is necessary to copy them into the build directory manually BEFORE creating the .iso. This is NOT done automatically by remasterpup2 or nic007 scripts.
hi ITSMERSH. Thx for that! Ideally, i want the SFS's to load on boot of the live-cd and also if the live-cd is frugal-installed. However, i would also like users to be able to remove or upgrade the SFS's.

Sounds like nic007's AutoRemaster will bundle the SFS's into the remastered core, and disallow removal via the on-the-fly tool. Correct? Question: Could AutoRemaster SFS's be removed with the 'Remove builtin' tool? That's also acceptable. As long as the bundled SFS's can be removed somehow, either with onthefly tool, removebuiltin tool, or uninstall-packages tool.

nic007, i really like your hands-off Remaster. Definitely good for noobs.
nic007 wrote:You'll have to include a bootloader in your "manually made" iso for distribution, if you don't have the actual ISO or CD to copy files from.
Woah, that concerns me. The output ISO needs to work as a bootable, live-cd. Do any of the remaster tools give that? (AutoRemaster, Lazy, or puppy Remaster livecd)

THX

ps ITSMERSH, i tried to watch Helix Research Out house, but seems protected?
Sounds like nic007's AutoRemaster will bundle the SFS's into the remastered core, and disallow removal via the on-the-fly tool. Correct? Yes.
Could AutoRemaster SFS's be removed with the 'Remove builtin' tool? No, the contents of all loaded sfs (except the zdrv which will be kept seperately) files are merged into the base sfs with my auto tool. They can not be retrieved individually with the remove tool after that.
You need to use a remastertool which gives you options what to include in the iso or not. My auto script does not provide any user input options (that's the whole idea behind my auto script).

The output ISO needs to work as a bootable, live-cd. Do any of the remaster tools give that? If you mount the distribution's iso or cd before doing the remaster you are sorted, all the necessary files will be included in the newly created iso automatically. Burn it to CD and and you have a bootable, live-cd.
If you do not have the distribution's iso or cd, you can still make an iso but you will need to include all necessary files from somewhere (including a bootloader) otherwise that manually created iso will not be bootable.